Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Sounds cool, but I think I'm pretty content to just stick out the rest of the gen with my standard Switch

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is mainly using his Switch portably (mostly using my Lite, the regular one is gathering dust in the dock), I can't see myself getting this new one. Unless the bezels are suuuper thin, this thing is super lightweight and still houses some performance increase in the actual device, not just in the dock. Then I would maybe be interested, but I think I'll stick with my Lite. But let's first wait for the proper reveal.

The idea they are putting a GPU in the dock is unfounded. Whatever the device is, portable mode will get a boost.

Do you think that Nintendo will require developers to develop for 4 different power profiles in order to release on Switch?

Did Sony or MS require developers to make Pro and One X profiles for games?

And to be clear, I don't think it will have the same internals, nor have a whole second GPU in the dock.

You aren't getting DLSS through the dock. They aren't bolting tensor cores alone to the dock, thats am entire redesign. AI upscaling has to be done on chip. Like there will be no secret mojo in the dock.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Yes? Sony already has 3 profiles, Xbox has more
Developers aren't required to develop for all of those profiles.

Hell, Switch already supports 5 profiles, there's docked, docked with CPU boost, undocked, boost mode undocked, super boost mode undocked.
Same here. Those are all available as options, but developers are only required to develop for at least 2. One in docked, and one in undocked.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Where did they confirm new devkits? In the original article?

Oh whoops, the title of this thread said dev kits were going out so I assumed that was in the article. I only skimmed it briefly last night.

Yeah, that's not in the article. Imran is the source for that.

Developers aren't required to develop for all of those profiles.

Same here. Those are all available as options, but developers are only required to develop for at least 2. One in docked, and one in undocked.

I don't see why they'd be forced to develop for more than two for this either. They don't NEED to use any more power that the pro has.

If they want a pro enhanced game they'd need to do four profiles though, that's correct. A pro exclusive game would only need two.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
But without using the full features.
And if it's not that, what could it be?

There are no new features. All a TX1+ is is a die shrunk TX1 with some backported shit. All you can do on a TX1+ is clock the CPU and GPU higher. You dont need to send out dev kits for this. You just add another profile to the system.

If dev kits are floating around then there has been notable hardware changes.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing to test when it comes to 4k output. Games don't need to be changed in any way to allow for simple 4k upscaling by a TV.

It is fun seeing who is reading the speculation thread and who is not lol

Really, a custom SoC?
Then I fear it won't be 300$.

It could be $300 but given the improved screen, new SoC (it shouldnt be that much more expensive), additional RAM etc. It will likely be $350

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT? What did you hear about it?

There's nothing concrete yet but supposedly something is being announced in the first week of April.

Really, a custom SoC?
Then I fear it won't be 300$.

Did you know that the Tegra X1 was partially built with Nintendo in mind? Like, Nintendo's input?

It'll be the same here. This chip will technically be custom but it will be used by Nvidia for other purposes besides the Switch revision.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they might be misinterpreting the recent news that Nintendo are migrating the backend technology being used for their online services from their ancient solution to a more modern one.
Just because they first licensed it a while ago doesn't make it an "ancient" solution, unless the idea is that it was never changed or updated ever. It's more likely because it was a licensed solution, and Nintendo has built on it/customized it enough, that it makes more sense for them to just use their own internally built solution

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I believe they might be misinterpreting the recent news that Nintendo are migrating the backend technology being used for their online services from their ancient solution to a more modern one.
There has been at least one person here saying that new features are coming soon (like by within a month or two if I remember correctly), but I honestly couldn't tell if it were just speculation or if this person had a reputable record.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be really interested to see how DLSS looks when running 720p in portable mode. Could really clean up some of the more noticeable jaggies (though if the silicon is faster the auto-scaling-resolution stuff should have to downscale far less often anyways).

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I like all of this. 720p is fine (OLED even!), I just want games actually running at that with better performance. I'd say I'm all in on this but it's going to be a pain to get ahold of one. :/

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
How do I square this with the fact that the current Switch is noticeably less sharp than the Lite at the distance I play at? There's no way the Switch feels "retina" (it always annoys me when marketing terms catch on like this but w/e), though it should be at a shorter distance.

I know right? Going from Switch Lite to the Switch Pro is going to look horrendous. Potential downgrade for handheld users...

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Awesome. This all sounds so good. Exactly what I want it to be. I will mostly use it on my TV but maybe from time to time I might use the handheld mode and a 720p OLED sounds plenty.
FPS and Resolution was one of my biggest issues with the Switch.

Really glad we are getting a better one this year ! Hyped !

nmkd

May 23, 2020
If you say ultra high definition 4K, I'd assume that's 4K as in 4K resolution.

Otherwise say upscaled.

4K in marketing is rarely native 4K.

50% of 4K movies are just upscaled 1080p versions with higher bitrate.
PS4 Pro is a "4K console" yet plays almost everything at 1440p or 1800p at most.

You should get used to it.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
One question that I'm asking myself: IF most of the new tech would be in the dock itself and IF the formfactor stays the same... could there be an upgrade option for older Switches?

Just swap out the old dock for the new one and get all the benefits (in docked mode). Portable performance wouldn't change, of course.

Does that sound realistic or am I thinking completely wrong?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
One question that I'm asking myself: IF most of the new tech would be in the dock itself and IF the formfactor stays the same... could there be an upgrade option for older Switches?

Just swap out the old dock for the new one and get all the benefits (in docked mode). Portable performance wouldn't change, of course.

No.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020

Supposedly, the pro will have a different chip.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like all of this. 720p is fine (OLED even!), I just want games actually running at that with better performance. I'd say I'm all in on this but it's going to be a pain to get ahold of one. :/
Existing console upgrade are usually easy to get. Mass market don't see the big difference and mostly at the launch

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If this means Smash Ultimate will have DLSS to 4K and even faster loading times if they put in a quicker SSD then I'm all for it.

Handheld isn't a big deal to me as I'd rather have much better performance in docked mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.