Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
You made it hard on yourself. I went from a 128gb card to a 256gb card and all I had to do was format the SD card and copy the folder over

performed same steps from the Nintendo site, when I inserted the new card into the switch after copying from smaller to my 512. It said it it could not use the new as card. Also when attempting to put old card back it it said it couldn't read that either. Will be a scary day when time comes to migrate to switch pro... I would suggest getting a one month Nintendo online to back up saves to be safe. Glad I had mine...

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
One question that I'm asking myself: IF most of the new tech would be in the dock itself and IF the formfactor stays the same... could there be an upgrade option for older Switches?

Just swap out the old dock for the new one and get all the benefits (in docked mode). Portable performance wouldn't change, of course.

Does that sound realistic or am I thinking completely wrong?
This is a new console, not a new dock (But this will include a dock with 4k60fps output)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
performed same steps from the Nintendo site, when I inserted the new card into the switch after copying from smaller to my 512. It said it it could not use the new as card. Also when attempting to put old card back it it said it couldn't read that either. Will be a scary day when time comes to migrate to switch pro... I would suggest getting a one month Nintendo online to back up saves to be safe. Glad I had mine...

Do you have a Mac?

And did you download the SD card formatter on your computer? It is very odd to me your old card didnt read. I use to take mine out to transfer screenshots. Doesnt make sense.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Of course not. It'll be a reconstruction algorithm (probably DLSS). Even PS5/XSX struggle with native 4K.

"Struggle with native 4K" doesn't really mean anything without the context of what they're running. PS4 and X1 could likely run games like BotW at 4K. The X1X runs RDR2 at native 4K.

I agree it's unlikely that the new Switch will hit that res consistently, but the fact that there are sub-4K PS5/ XSX games has nothing to do with it.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
The discrepancy in resolutions when docked could easily be a combination of DLSS and power budgets - a "brain in the dock" approach, while possible, seems like an expensive option.
4K does indicate a bump in power, interested to see what SOC this thing is packing, particularly the GPU.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If it's backwards compatible and I may be actually interested. I'd love to have access to the back catalog which I have ignored since I don't really find it worth it right now LOL

But would be down for a new revision as hard to ignore Nintendo for too long when they're making at least some decent games. I'll still say that all my third party needs and stuff on PC with a PlayStation 5 is still as relevant today as it will be in a few years but a more powerful unit on the go with potential future portable endeavors is something that may be calling my name.

usually the first iteration is decent but I like waiting for the second iteration when it comes to portables so very likely this second version will be what the first one should have been.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
If it's backwards compatible and I may be actually interested. I'd love to have access to the back catalog which I have ignored since I don't really find it worth it right now LOL

But would be down for a new revision as hard to ignore Nintendo for too long when they're making at least some decent games. I'll still say that all my third party needs and stuff on PC with a PlayStation 5 is still as relevant today as it will be in a few years but a more powerful unit on the go with potential future portable endeavors is something that may be calling my name.

usually the first iteration is decent but I like waiting for the second iteration when it comes to portables so very likely this second version will be what the first one should have been.
It's a revision, not a Switch 2.

nmkd

May 23, 2020
Y'all complaining about screen size and resolution. I just don't wanna deal with burn-in once this thing comes out lol

I have a hard time believing that burn-in is still a problem nowadays.

I've used at least 10 different OLED devices (including the Vita and several phones) and I've never seen any kind of burn-in.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Got to be honest, not super excited about this. Nintendo always feels like its two steps behind when it comes to hardware power.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
One question that I'm asking myself: IF most of the new tech would be in the dock itself and IF the formfactor stays the same... could there be an upgrade option for older Switches?

Just swap out the old dock for the new one and get all the benefits (in docked mode). Portable performance wouldn't change, of course.

Does that sound realistic or am I thinking completely wrong?

Why would there be any new tech in the dock? That's an enormous IF.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
How do I square this with the fact that the current Switch is noticeably less sharp than the Lite at the distance I play at? There's no way the Switch feels "retina" (it always annoys me when marketing terms catch on like this but w/e), though it should be at a shorter distance.
The PPI for the Switch Lite is higher. 267 vs 237

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
This is not a Switch 2 case, it's a New 3DS, PS4 Pro, X1X case. It most likely won't have any exclusives at all. If it ends up having an exclusive it'll be like xenoblade chronicles but nothing beyond that. This is not a Switch successor.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If the rumors are true, then the Switch Pro's ppi would be about the same as the Vita's ppi. That's fine for a portable device. If it had 1080p, then the ppi would be noticeably better than modern iPads. That's overkill.

To go into more depth, the Switch Lite's ppi is similar to a current iPad. The Switch & Switch Pro are similar to a Vita, with the Switch having slightly higher ppi & the Switch Pro having slightly lower ppi.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
Got to be honest, not super excited about this. Nintendo always feels like its two steps behind when it comes to hardware power.
That's their intentional approach to hardware. Work with old tech in creative ways in order to create a system/experience that feels both unique and timeless. 🤷‍♂️ It clearly works for them.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How do I square this with the fact that the current Switch is noticeably less sharp than the Lite at the distance I play at? There's no way the Switch feels "retina" (it always annoys me when marketing terms catch on like this but w/e), though it should be at a shorter distance.

Yeah that's my experience too. Using math to determine when screen PPI to distance is "unnoticeable" is kinda bogus honestly, I kind of hate when people bust it out to prove a point. It all depends on the individual.

That said I think a 720p screen is still the right move. But hell I can tell the difference between a 1440p and 1080p phone screen within 0.2 seconds, where most screen-distance calculators would tell me I can't

Last edited:

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
People that are just now reading about the DLSS possibility should really, REALLY take a look at this topic

www.resetera.com

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |OT|: "Now You're Playing with Super Power!" Nintendo - OT

Welcome everyone! The purpose of this thread is to be the one and only place on ResetEra to speculate and discuss news and/or rumours that may or may not pertain to future Nintendo hardware and technology. Disagreeing with other members is a normal and inevitable part of speculation and...

All of it, but especially the first page

DomsiKong

May 7, 2019

Interestingly for me it's the other way around with Playstation. The 1st Iteration is typically the go to Playstation for me since the first one typically has many technical issues down the road.

(Nintendo console/handheld always a day1 buy though since they typically are technically durable for a lifetime)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not a Switch 2 case, it's a New 3DS, PS4 Pro, X1X case. It most likely won't have any exclusives at all. If it ends up having an exclusive it'll be like xenoblade chronicles X but nothing beyond that. This is not a Switch successor.
why would Xenoblade Chronicles X be exclusive? that ran on weaker hardware than the current switch

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was this close to buy a second switch ( mariko). But I'll wait then.

It sound amazing and I actually expected 720 on portable mode. That'll probably mean a long ass battery which is a main complain about my current switch

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's their intentional approach to hardware. Work with old tech in creative ways in order to create a system/experience that feels both unique and timeless. 🤷‍♂️ It clearly works for them.

That was their MO before the Switch. The Switch actually uses one of the best mobile chips possible for its planned launch (which was late 2016).

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
People are idiots. You know what 100% of people would notice? A dead battery within two hours. You know what maybe 1% of people would notice? A difference between 720p and 1080p on 7" screen.

An iPhone X has a screen res of 2436 × 1125 - yet it can only handle running Fortnite at 1461x665 (near 720p) AND the battery lasts under 2 hours (as per digital foundry)

Anyone complaining about a 720p screen is insane

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
All I need to know is will this new Switch model make Pokemon Legends look visually better with a higher framerate.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People are idiots. You know what 100% of people would notice? A dead battery within two hours. You know what maybe 1% of people would notice? A difference between 720p and 1080p on 7" screen.

An iPhone X has a screen res of 2436 × 1125 - yet it can only handle running Fortnite at 1461x665 (near 720p) AND the battery lasts under 2 hours (as per digital foundry)

Well said

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely seems wise to set expectations low. This will almost definitely be more like the jump from original to New 3DS than from X1 to X1X.
Pretty sure the New 3DS offered a power jump roughly in line with that, mainly in terms of the CPU and RAM, it just mainly showed in a couple of games and exclusives

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was exclusive to N3DS... I don't believe I'm having to explain that
because the 3DS was weaker in important aspects to the Wii. the Switch is stronger than the Wii U in nearly every respect. hence why nearly all the ports have improved performance. so yea, I don't understand your point

Can this help older games, like Witcher 3, Doom, BotW?
yes, but if you want higher resolutions and framerates, they need patches

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Hmmmmmm, 720p is not bad but it's definitely noticeable compared to say a 1080p screen even at that screen size. Look at a Fire HD 7 for example which has a slightly higher resolution/PPI (216 PPI) at the same screen size and it's definitely noticeable compared to other 7 to 8 inch tablets that have 1080p or higher screens.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
because the 3DS was weaker in important aspects to the Wii. the Switch is stronger than the Wii U in nearly every respect. hence why nearly all the ports have improved performance. so yea, I don't understand your point

yes, but if you want higher resolutions and framerates, they need patches

Shouldn't games with unlocked framerates benefit directly from a performance bump?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Well we know why they say it. Based on the reaction of some posters, it's clear this new Switch is unwelcome news especially if it's DLSS Ampere. And the vector of argumentation is to try to discredit that as much as possible and mochizuki

Status
Not open for further replies.