• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1641282270035320834?s=46&t=2LWFFBkfpCYxvdsK4CkzBw

Sony Group Corp. is projected to sell fewer than 300,000 PlayStation VR2 headsets in its first weeks on the market, a slow start for company efforts to take a leading role in development of the metaverse.
The Tokyo-based console maker is likely to sell about 270,000 units of the PSVR2 between its Feb. 22 release and the end of March, according to estimates from the research firm IDC. Sony had a lofty goal of making about 2 million units for the PSVR2's launch window, Bloomberg News reported last year.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony PSVR2 Headset Off to Slow Start as Metaverse Push Sputters

Sony Group Corp. is projected to sell fewer than 300,000 PlayStation VR2 headsets in its first weeks on the market, a slow start for company efforts to take a leading role in development of the metaverse.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Glad Takashi sourced someone else before he gets cooked after his earlier PSVR2 article about reduced production. 😅

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wringing my hands because I waited for this very moment to pull the trigger

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation VR2 headsets in its first weeks on the market, a slow start for company efforts to take a leading role in development of the metaverse.

...It's hard to take the article serious when I don't even think Sony has mentioned metaverse once in regards to PSVR2.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As a slowly turned casual gamer lately, I roll my eyes watching the commercial with Ozzy. Doesn't sale me on the product.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Wonder if Sony will specifically deny the article like they've done for seemingly every other Bloomberg report about them lol

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'd consider one if it was like $299-349 especially if they unlock pc compatibly but the price it is now is a no go for me. There are a couple games I'd be willing to try (Horizon, GT, etc) but not for the launch price it was given

Unfortunately the VR hype train wave faded unless it's a reasonably affordable all in one wireless headset like the Meta/Oculus Quest line.

Sony will need some good incentives to motivate those not already having purchased their headset. Playing games already available on PC/Meta Store won't push those already into VR to get another headset

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
As badass as the tech for PSVR2 is, I knew VR was struggling when PSVR2's launch lineup was described as "the best ever for a VR headset." There really needs to be a company out there that is willing to invest to get some must play games on VR. It's going to be Nintendo, isn't it...?

If I were Sony, I would sell PC drivers for whatever it cost to make a profit on the headset. Get more people into high end VR ➡️Get more developers making higher end VR games. Rising tide lifts all boats type beat.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
VR has never really been a mainstream concept for general audiences. It has always catered to a niche demographic who are interested in investing in it and while the tech certainly shows promise, the market simply isn't there yet for widespread adoption and support.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not shocked at all. What's surprising to me is how many physical PSVR2 games they're shipping out to die.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
For me it absolutely needed total BC with PSVR 1 and PC support, can't justify it otherwise

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just quoting myself from the PS OT:

Lesse, Takashi originally reports the 2 million figure, then Takashi reports Sony has slashed that figure and will produce less (which Sony denies), and now Takashi reports Sony hasn't hit the figure and things are dire.

Yeah, I ain't believing a damned thing Takashi has to say.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I understand the tech involved necessitates a high price, but I am really waiting for something around $350 before I even touch it (which would be a crazy reduction)

If it does not get a decent price reduction, they need to offer consistent monthly PSPlus PSVR2 games to make it worthwhile

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I thought it would have sold a lot better, good lord thats dire. Like I was thinking 500K would be good even for it. But 270K ? woof

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Needs a software roadmap. I have one but am concerned due to how little we know about future projects

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Lesse, Takashi originally reports the 2 million figure, then Takashi reports Sony has slashed that figure and will produce less (which Sony denies), and now Takashi reports Sony hasn't hit the figure and things are dire.

I mean say what you will about his track record, I personally don't find it implausible that the PSVR2 won't sell too well.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it gets turned around - the tech looks impressive. It's just way overpriced for me. A Quest 2 offers the best of both worlds with PC and standalone games at a much lower price point.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Takashi isn't the one reporting numbers here. He's just reporting what an industry analyst from a reputable firm is saying.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played with at a friends house and loved it but the price is absurd

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'll jump in at $400 but assume it'll be a failed venture with minimal support by the time we get there.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder where it'd be if it was available at other retailers besides PS Direct.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I can believe it. I don't think Sony will drop the price, but I believe it for sure.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be real, after the quest, I can't see myself ever going back to a tethered headset.

Less than 300k HMDs doesn't really sound that bad for how limited its availability is for being able to purchase one, and I would probably challenge the writer on whether that 2 million is an actual Sony target as I don't think that matches up with their release strategy at all. If Sony felt that they could have pushed 2 million units by the end of spring, it would have been at retail day 1 and not at just PS Direct.

That said, VR definitely has hit a snag as of late in terms of being the talk of the town, and I'm not sure what more Sony can do other than provide software that will turn heads. By all accounts, the launch lineup has been filled with a lot of great experiences, but nothing that feels like it can grab people the same way Beat Saber did for the Quest (and not having Beat Saber day 1 does feel like a bit of an own goal, trickiness of working with Meta aside) to get them to invest in some very expensive hardware.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Takahashi works for IDC, the source of the analysis?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The asking price is way too much when you consider there's no backwards compatibility with PSVR1, and thus no upgrade path for said owners. Add in the high cost of ownership as you need a PS5 too, limited availability as it's only available from the PS Direct, and no PC compatibility (even Oculus/Facebook recognized the importance of this) and you have a device that's not that appealing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Less than 300k HMDs doesn't really sound that bad for how limited its availability is for being able to purchase one, and I would probably challenge the writer on whether that 2 million is an actual Sony target as I don't think that matches up with their release strategy at all. If Sony felt that they could have pushed 2 million units by the end of spring, it would have been at retail day 1 and not at just PS Direct.

That said, VR definitely has hit a snag as of late in terms of being the talk of the town, and I'm not sure what more Sony can do other than provide software that will turn heads. By all accounts, the launch lineup has been filled with a lot of great experiences, but nothing that feels like it can grab people the same way Beat Saber did for the Quest (and not having Beat Saber day 1 does feel like a bit of an own goal, trickiness of working with Meta aside) to get them to invest in some very expensive hardware.

It should be noted that the 2 million number is something only ever Bloomberg reported, not something Sony actually claimed.

Too expensive, it's wired, and the choice of games is lame. Color me shocked.

Right, they should have made it wireless and even more expensive so then people would still complain about the price.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Still haven't gotten it yet but will eventually with a price cut or Alyx(copium) or if the community shoehornes some proper pc support. I'm still going through my PSVR1 catalogue, It's very impressive tech though!

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
No shit.

It costs as much as a Steam Deck or an Oculus Quest (which is wireless) and also requires you to have a PS5

Unmoddable Beat Saber

Not wireless

Where is the value proposition

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I mean say what you will about his track record, I personally don't find it implausible that the PSVR2 won't sell too well.
Still prefer to wait for official sources or sources with better track records. As for sales, we're talking about the first 5 weeks of sales. The PS5 itself has only been picking up traction these past few months and the PSVR2 is entirely dependent upon PS5 ownership. Not to mention Sony hasn't even done a showcase for their next "phase" of software both for the PS5 and PSVR2 yet. We can only guess where it'll end up, but it's hardly a case for concern after just 5 weeks.

Takashi isn't the one reporting numbers here. He's just reporting what an industry analyst from a reputable firm is saying.

Well that's one step better then. Still, I stand by what I wrote several lines up.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Price is just too high for me to justify without really any content available for it that I'm interested in. I don't think anything has been announced for it that I'm fiending for either.

Oct 30, 2017
I really think the system needs more big name games in VR.

-Fund GTA 5 VR and GTA 6 VR
-Destiny 2 in VR
-MLB the Show in VR
-A social VR sports game. Let my friends and I hit some golf balls and have a good laugh.