The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm not shocked. It's more expensive than the console itself, doesn't have BC with PSVR1 and ultimately doesn't really have a killer app.

Also I feel like it's had very little marketing presence, I don't think I've seen any real advertisements about PSVR2 like I would see for the PS5 or even the first gen PSVR

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At least better than it is. No idea what they were thinking, other than bold faced arrogance thinking they didn't need presence on other store websites.
It's possible this is around what Sony forecasted when knowingly keeping it stuck on PS Direct. I'm pretty sure the DualSense Edge got a nice bump after going to other retailers so I'm not sure what the holdup is for PSVR2.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Still prefer to wait for official sources or sources with better track records. As for sales, we're talking about the first 5 weeks of sales. The PS5 itself has only been picking up traction these past few months and the PSVR2 is entirely dependent upon PS5 ownership. Not to mention Sony hasn't even done a showcase for their next "phase" of software both for the PS5 and PSVR2 yet. We can only guess where it'll end up, but it's hardly a case for concern after just 5 weeks.

Well that's one step better then. Still, I stand by what I wrote several lines up.
Yeah it's early and all but I wouldn't be surprised if it struggles to get close to three million by 2025.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
is 300k sold in one week for an accessory more expensive than the console you need to use it really that bad?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I refuse to believe Sony didn't know this was going to be a slow burn. It was a very expensive, niche product with few or no heavy hitters at launch (depending on who you ask).

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
is 300k sold in one week for an accessory more expensive than the console you need to use it really that bad?

When you make apparently 2 million probably? But yeah I would have thought 300k was fine for something that expensive and niche. Depends what their expectation was.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Super bummer. It's great tech and I've had a ton of fun so far. But it sounds like the price is maybe outside what's needed … even if the tech is top of the line stuff.

Since I own a PSVR2 now, I hope it does catch on and gets some real support. If this thing dies in a year.
, I may be done buying in to VR hardware on day 1. I want it to succeed but I need software support long term to make it worth the steep price

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing has been terrible. Only sold it through their online store. I thought that there would be a blowout event to demonstrate what's coming at launch. Instead they decided to just announce everything via their blog. Then add the high price plus needing a PS5. No wonder it's not doing well.

Oct 31, 2017
VR is still too niche. It's just the reality, at least until the theoretical hardware barrier becomes much less obvious/intrusive and/or the technology becomes even more mature.

Like a professor of mine in college said: "How many people really want to have a piece of equipment on their face/head when engaging with an activity where a majority are just looking to relax?"

There's undeniably a market for VR. I just think it's going to be tough going for awhile to break beyond the "extreme enthusiast" barrier.

Like, I was pretty damn interested in VR at the onset of Oculus and their dev kit way back. But since then I've just lost interest pretty much, despite the hardware and software developing massively in the time since.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Cutting-edge technology is great.

Not pricing out 99% of the people who aren't hardcore enthusiasts of a niche market is better.

What's funny is that they actually got that one right with PSVR1.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
If true… that's a bummer. PSVR2 has been a real bright spot in my gaming to start the year and if it doesn't do well, I worry about VR's future in the console space.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea how to contextualize this data. This thing isn't even available at US retailers yet.

Indeed, if things were indeed dire then one would think Sony would open up sales to general retailers in the regions where it's only available through Sony Direct.

We've got a month until Sony's annual report, we'll see if PSVR2 is mentioned there and if its performance has lined up with their expectations.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I really think the system needs more big name games in VR.

-Fund GTA 5 VR and GTA 6 VR
-Destiny 2 in VR
-MLB the Show in VR
-A social VR sports game. Let my friends and I hit some golf balls and have a good laugh.
I feel like VR needs more VR-dedicated games rather than hybrid games like you suggest. Don't get me wrong, I'd insta-buy a PSVR2 headset if we got something like Wolverine in VR, but I think VR really needs more Half Life Alyx-type games (games designed for VR). Issue is, it's very risky to invest in that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused why they even made it if they weren't going to bother marketing it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I know Mat Piscatella has said that he is sticking to his forecast of single digit attach rate for PSVR 2 recently as well. Not an ideal scenario to be in.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible this is around what Sony forecasted when knowingly keeping it stuck on PS Direct. I'm pretty sure the DualSense Edge got a nice bump after going to other retailers so I'm not sure what the holdup is for PSVR2.

I'd have thought they would have wanted to at least sell out their first production run, especially the way they were handling pre orders. Keeping it very limited and by invite only, then just getting wider and wider leading up to launch and it was still available for pre order the day before launch. That's the barometer I've been working with rather than the targets Blomberg talked about.

As for what the hold up is, it might be stores themselves. If they're forced to miss out on launch when sales would be at their highest, they're going to need incentives to have a big box item sitting in a warehouse if it isn't selling well.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Find it hard to believe Sony thought they'd sell 2 million in a month when they sold less than 1 million PSVR's in 4 months

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter how good the tech is or what the price is relative to other headsets. The optics of a headset that costs more than the console is going to look absolutely bonkers to consumers.

Considering you need to buy other, sometimes full price games for it, you're essentially just asking people to buy another PS5.

And none of that is even touching on the topic of if people are excited about VR in the first place.

May 14, 2021
Well hey, people who actually own it are having fun with it.

But actually I agree, Sony needs to be taking less risks and using the money from VR to produce more safe games that people will then complain about being too safe.
Yes, games people will actually buy because they're on a platform that isn't stupidly conceived and priced.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Seems to indicate a roughly 5 week period:

"The Tokyo-based console maker is likely to sell about 270,000 units of the PSVR2 between its Feb. 22 release and the end of March, according to estimates from the research firm IDC."
ah, you're right, i misread that part

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Cutting-edge technology is great.

Not pricing out 99% of the people who aren't hardcore enthusiasts of a niche market is better.

What's funny is that they actually got that one right with PSVR1.
It's actually a good value for the quality of the tech but we've allowed everyone to push the narrative that it's too expensive, even though they are comparing to an inferior product in Quest that basically uses phone architecture. I'm glad Sony didn't settle. As much as I like PSVR1, having an underpowered device that used a generation old input device in the move controllers really hampered enjoyment.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At least better than it is. No idea what they were thinking, other than bold faced arrogance thinking they didn't need presence on other store websites.

Probably couldn't afford it?

Retailers get a cut of hardware sold, and if they couldn't fit that markup into their target price I can understand why they did what they did.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd have thought they would have wanted to at least sell out their first production run, especially the way they were handling pre orders. Keeping it very limited and by invite only, then just getting wider and wider leading up to launch and it was still available for pre order the day before launch. That's the barometer I've been working with rather than the targets Blomberg talked about.

As for what the hold up is, it might be stores themselves. If they're forced to miss out on launch when sales would be at their highest, they're going to need incentives to have a big box item sitting in a warehouse if it isn't selling well.
That's a good point about retailers and not wanting to hold onto stock that's not moving, I never considered that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, games people will actually buy because they're on a platform that isn't stupidly conceived and priced.

Stupidly priced? Yes, making a headset that is comparable to stuff on PC being sold for $1,000 or more and selling it for almost half is badly priced. I can't believe they didn't sell it for even cheaper!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
As badass as the tech for PSVR2 is, I knew VR was struggling when PSVR2's launch lineup was described as "the best ever for a VR headset." There really needs to be a company out there that is willing to invest to get some must play games on VR. It's going to be Nintendo, isn't it...?
Nothing but the best from Nintendo:

03XMgRM1xbLyujGPxeAp6qP-10.fit_lim.size_1050x591.v1569473194.jpg

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Hope it can do well.

Wonder if it were to get a price drop, if it would get Vita'd or 3DS'd.

Like get a price cut and a lot of support or none, but tbh the Vita had far more issues other than just being pricey (those proprietary memory cards…., and lack of support from Sony 1st party after a year).

I'd like to get one but I just don't want to drop $550 on one, maybe when I can possibly find one for $300?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta admit that I am legitimately surprised that this thing did not launch with Beat Saber and/or Half Life: Alyx. Especially Beat Saber, given the lack of backwards compatibility.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to know Bloomberg's opinion about the price and sales predictions for Apple's headset.

www.resetera.com

Apple CEO Tim Cook Ordered VR Headset Launch Despite Designers Warning It Wasn't Ready

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I guess it's safe to say this will also have gaming stuff. Still feel free to move it if it doesn't fit here. Considering the rumors this headset won't ship with controllers, maybe the hand/motion tracking part of this is the thing having the most issues...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
An extremely expensive peripheral for an extremely expensive console was always a bad idea. This thing is a luxury on top of a luxury. I don't know why Sony moved forward with this project if they couldn't price it affordably.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to know Bloomberg's opinion about the price and sales predictions for Apple's headset.

www.resetera.com

Apple CEO Tim Cook Ordered VR Headset Launch Despite Designers Warning It Wasn't Ready

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I guess it's safe to say this will also have gaming stuff. Still feel free to move it if it doesn't fit here. Considering the rumors this headset won't ship with controllers, maybe the hand/motion tracking part of this is the thing having the most issues...
Considering recent rumors about how even apple higher ups have very little hope for it, i'd say BAD

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
vr has been cooling off for awhile now so this wouldnt really be surprising...I would bet that there are a lot of psvr1 owners who probably weren't interested this go around. Especially at this price point.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

www.resetera.com

They did the same thing (report expected sales) that they did with PSVR2:
Apple expects to sell about 1 million units of its new headset in its first year. That compares with more than 200 million units for the iPhone, the Cupertino, California-based company's biggest moneymaker. In a rare move, it's also not planning to make a profit on the initial version — even at the high price — indicating that the company is taking a long-term view of the platform.
www.bloomberg.com

How Apple’s Upcoming Mixed-Reality Headset Will Work

Apple Inc.’s long-anticipated mixed-reality headset is an ambitious attempt to create a 3D version of the iPhone’s operating system, with eye- and hand-tracking systems that could set the technology apart from rival products.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
For me, one of the real shortcomings was not having an announced strategy to support PSVR2 via PS+ (PS Extra, at least?) with monthly games before launch. As a subscriber, I'd be way more likely to buy a headset if I had a regular trickle of titles to try out. I'm surprised they didn't go that route.

I guess at this point in its lifecycle, they expect a PSVR2 owner to be a premium consumer who will just buy the games? Maybe that will change at some point.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta admit that I am legitimately surprised that this thing did not launch with Beat Saber and or Half Life: Alyx. Especially Beat Saber, given the lack of backwards compatibility.

Beat Saber is confirmed, just not at launch.

Also you can't make Valve do what they don't want to do and they aren't going to hold up the device for Valve to change their mind.

An extremely expensive peripheral for an extremely expensive console was always a bad idea. This thing is a luxury on top of a luxury. I don't know why Sony moved forward with this project if they couldn't price it affordably.

They should have cancelled it and greenlit about 10 more The Last of Us games.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Just let me buy in somewhere that's no Sony's own store. I have so much Amazon credit that i could use on it.