Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Considering recent rumors about how even apple higher ups have very little hope for it, i'd say BAD
apple does have one ace up their sleeves:

the ability to sell people stuff they dont need nor want

then they can break even, discontinue it afterwards, support it for a few years, and then start working on their apple car again

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I can't imagine there isn't some sort of strategy involved here considering you can't buy the thing at retailers. Sony isn't a no name partner, if they wanted it in stores at Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. it'd be there. Whether or not that strategy is very wise is to be seen. Maybe they're planning a bigger retailer push to coincide with the revised PS5 hardware.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a very soft launch. Hardly any mainstream marketing, relatively small first party lineup, very limited retail presence, no free title like Astro's Playroom to help show off the system out of the box, etc. Feels like they just wanted to get it out there.

My hope is that in the fall they do a bigger relaunch sort of thing for it, maybe at a slightly cheaper price ($499 maybe).

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's actually a good value for the quality of the tech but we've allowed everyone to push the narrative that it's too expensive, even though they are comparing to an inferior product in Quest that basically uses phone architecture. I'm glad Sony didn't settle. As much as I like PSVR1, having an underpowered device that used a generation old input device in the move controllers really hampered enjoyment.

Nobody is saying it's too expensive relative to the tech. I'm certainly not. The issue is it's too expensive, PERIOD.

The overwhelming majority of people who have a passing interest in VR saw the price and noped the fuck out, let's not even mention your regular gamer.

You know who cares about the tech inside that thing ? Hardcore enthusiasts. And that market is proving to be tiny as hell, especially when you factor out PC users.

There's also the fact that they've made this great piece of tech at a premium price and then didn't create a game fully built around it to make it really enticing, but that's not even the biggest issue.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
apple does have one ace up their sleeves:

the ability to sell people stuff they dont need nor want

then they can break even, discontinue it afterwards, support it for a few years, and then start working on their apple car again
If it funds the apple car IM IN

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
For me, one of the real shortcomings was not having an announced strategy to support PSVR2 via PS+ (PS Extra, at least?) with monthly games before launch. As a subscriber, I'd be way more likely to buy a headset if I had a regular trickle of titles to try out. I'm surprised they didn't go that route.

I guess at this point in its lifecycle, they expect a PSVR2 owner to be a premium consumer who will just buy the games? Maybe that will change at some point.

Strategies will always continue to evolve. It could be as simple as them wanting to build up a library for the platform before offering games on Plus.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Saber is confirmed, just not at launch.

Also you can't make Valve do what they don't want to do and they aren't going to hold up the device for Valve to change their mind.

Oh I know it's confirmed. But it just seems baffling to launch without it. It is a system seller for VR.

And I really want to know how much effort Sony put into at least trying to get Alyx. It's the signature VR title alongside Beat Saber. It's one thing if they tried and Valve didn't budge, but if they didn't try at all I'd be very concerned.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You can't even buy it at US retailers yet, it's one month since launch. Does he have access to Sony's sales targets one month in?

What does PSVR2 have to do with "the metaverse" ??

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It should still be noted that the idea that the headset is doing bad...

Is literally Bloomberg basically making an assumption.

They reported on a number that Sony never confirmed and so when they got info about the number of sales, they assume it must be doing bad because it doesn't match the numbers that Sony, again, never confirmed was their goal. So it's only doing bad if your under the assumption that Bloomberg was right, which the author has dubious credibility.

Oh I know it's confirmed. But it just seems baffling to launch without it. It is a system seller for VR.

And I really want to know how much effort Sony put into at least trying to get Alyx. It's the signature VR title alongside Beat Saber. It's one thing if they tried and Valve didn't budge, but if they didn't try at all I'd be very concerned.

You can't hold up a device for one or two games. Otherwise why launch anything until literally every single game is ready for it. If you already have a large number of games ready to go- you launch it.

What does PSVR2 have to do with "the metaverse" ??

Nothing, Sony has never mentioned Metaverse for PSVR2, and if you literally search: "PSVR2 and Metaverse", this article is the first thing that shows up.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
I love mine even though I own an index and quest 2, but I get that it's price with a ps5 makes it a high cost entry point

Hope they alyx ported to this- would be a game changer imo

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You can't even buy it at US retailers yet, it's one month since launch.
This is so weird to me, here in Vancouver I literally saw it at Best Buy today. As someone else mentioned though, it's a massive product to have on shelves so if it isn't selling and the margins are as low as other gaming hardware then it's a tough ask for retailers to consider

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's a shame to hear. I remain glad I jumped in from the get-go because I've only been happy with my experience of it, and the ease of setting up means I'll continue playing it alongside my other games on PS5. Just makes me nervous for what the landscape of games will look like, and sad for a future without a PSVR3. Or rather a PSVR3 that doesn't aim to be competitive with PCVR and provide one of the best headsets in its range. Since that has been something I've really appreciated Sony gunning for with this.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
This is so weird to me, here in Vancouver I literally saw it at Best Buy today. As someone else mentioned though, it's a massive product to have on shelves so if it isn't selling and the margins are as low as other gaming hardware then it's a tough ask for retailers to consider
It's not available at retailers in countries that have PS Direct as a distribution source, it seems. The USA being the biggest of those countries. Up here in Canada we can buy it from retailers directly, I got mine from Best Buy.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PC folks understandably wants PC support but there's a difference between personal desire and sales analysis. I just can't take "it needs PC support to succeed" commentary seriously. What logic is this based on?

Anyway the key issue has always been content and it is glaring right from the get go. There is zero must-play mainstream VR experience in existence right now and Sony really needs to fund VR version of the big guns.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't touched any flat games since it was released. It's a fantastic platform, and it deserves success. People don't know what they're missing.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's not available at retailers in countries that have PS Direct as a distribution source, it seems. The USA being the biggest of those countries. Up here in Canada we can buy it from retailers directly, I got mine from Best Buy.
What a bad decision. PS Direct means nothing to most people. Something expensive like that, you'd expect a lot of people would want to use retailer credit or gifts cards.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
The price and no BC killed any enthusiasm I had for PSVR2. Sony would have to put in some work on both of those to get me interested again.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I wonder what sold better, this or the Dualsense Edge. Releasing two super expensive accessories (one of which costs more than the console) weeks apart from each other was always going to not go well for Sony.

With that said, this really could be PSVR's Vita moment. Fantastic hardware failed by terrible business decisions.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would've been an absolute buy for me with PC support, but I just don't see me using it enough to justify paying for it just to play PS5 VR games. Honestly, I'd have to be talked into it even if it dropped to $200 if they aren't adding PC support.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR2 is great hardware and it's just unfortunate that it's Sony, who never supports their peripherals, who made it.

Still, I love mine so far and I'm really hoping they've got some more great games up their sleeves.

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
Got way over excited and bought one on impulse after GT7 and Horizon hype. I regret it so much. Haven't used it since release week. Just not for me, I wish I could sell it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Got way over excited and bought one on impulse after GT7 and Horizon hype. I regret it so much. Haven't used it since release week. Just not for me, I wish I could sell it.
literally my biggest fear with the thing, and why i didn't buy it. i know i'd play through Horizon and then just do nothing with it, and then i'd be stuck with a fucking massive peripheral taking up space

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Maybe they could try selling them on other sites/retail here in the U.S. I'd have bought it day one if I could have grabbed it from Amazon or Best Buy

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
literally my biggest fear with the thing, and why i didn't buy it. i know i'd play through Horizon and then just do nothing with it, and then i'd be stuck with a fucking massive peripheral taking up space
I like the PC sets because you have an infinite stream of indie VR titles coming in every week and some pop off pretty hard

Im just too nervous about being locked down to a console for VR and being done with the games only to never touch it for months at a time

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
As badass as the tech for PSVR2 is, I knew VR was struggling when PSVR2's launch lineup was described as "the best ever for a VR headset." There really needs to be a company out there that is willing to invest to get some must play games on VR. It's going to be Nintendo, isn't it...?

If I were Sony, I would sell PC drivers for whatever it cost to make a profit on the headset. Get more people into high end VR ➡️Get more developers making higher end VR games. Rising tide lifts all boats type beat.

I don't think Nintendo is going to ever be that company.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
As badass as the tech for PSVR2 is, I knew VR was struggling when PSVR2's launch lineup was described as "the best ever for a VR headset." There really needs to be a company out there that is willing to invest to get some must play games on VR. It's going to be Nintendo, isn't it...?

If I were Sony, I would sell PC drivers for whatever it cost to make a profit on the headset. Get more people into high end VR ➡️Get more developers making higher end VR games. Rising tide lifts all boats type beat.
You'll get your cardboard VR headset and LIKE IT

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PC folks understandably wants PC support but I just can't take "it needs PC support to succeed" commentary seriously. What logic is this based on?

Anyway the key issue has always been content and it is glaring right from the get go. There is zero must-play mainstream VR experience in existence right now and Sony really needs to fund VR version of the big guns.

It's not based on any logic. Sony has no current incentive to support PSVR2 on PC - well, unless their desire is to piss away money. Based on what little we know, the PSVR2 is either being sold roughly at-cost, or possibly even at a loss. Sony has no real way of monetizing sales of software on PC, meaning they have no way of recouping their investment into the headset when PC players pick it up right now. Not to mention additional sunken costs in providing that PC support. Not to mention that every PC user that would pick up a unit means one less unit for a PS5 player who might actually pump money back into Sony's pockets via software.

Hell, come to think of it, its MSRP may have been artificially raised prior to it being announced, to keep up with global trends. I mean, Sony raised the price of the PS5 globally last year, and Sony Group raised the price of many of their electronics earlier in the year. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the PSVR2 was meant to launch at a lower price and they went with the higher MSRP at launch and will lower it back down to its intended figure later in the year when the rumored PS5 revision shows up.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a launch aligned chart with Nintendo LABO?
Any mention of Labo gives me PTSD to some of the absolute dumbest conversations I've ever had on this forum lol. I'll never forget hitting my head against a wall as dozens of people here were convinced Labo would be this massive thing that would be adopted by schools across America. Presumably the same schools where teachers need to pay out of pocket for markers and pencils, would suddenly all adopt expensive single-use cardboard sets that need a Switch to function.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't think Nintendo is going to ever be that company.
Listen. I just dream of Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendo Sports in VR. 🥲
You'll get your cardboard VR headset and LIKE IT
8176-boohoo.png

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
A Mochizuki thread, this is gonna go well. Anyway, the denial should be coming soon from Sony via Gamesindustry.biz based on past history.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
What a bad decision. PS Direct means nothing to most people. Something expensive like that, you'd expect a lot of people would want to use retailer credit or gifts cards.

That's only for launch. It'll open up to other retailers eventually. This way Sony's able to curb the tide of potential scalpers who might hoard units and further drive up the cost of entry into the platform, which would hurt the PSVR2 moreso than the PS5 itself when it went down that road. Plus Sony no doubt makes a larger cut off of direct sales than retail sales.

It's only a bad decision if the results don't meet whatever Sony's expectations were, and we have no way of knowing that until Sony tells us. The data in this article doesn't mean much when Bloomberg are comparing this figure against data that Bloomberg themselves originally reported. No one else, especially Sony, has corroborated that data.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I've heard nothing but good impressions from people who have gotten use one but...

- It's $550.
- It's locked behind a $500 console that is still somewhat rare.
- It's not even being sold at retailers so only the hardcore enthusiasts even know it's out.

Thing has everything possible working against it. I know I sure as hell can't afford one but hey give me a solid price cut and put it in stores and I'll get one eventually.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's just too expensive... it's unfortunately that simple. It's effectively an accessory for the console, that costs more than the console.

From everything I've seen it looks like a really well crafted headset that delivers good value relative to what is inside it. But to the average person it's going to be viewed as an expensive as hell accessory that only potentially enhances the games that choose to support it. Throw in that you're still mostly looking at short games and "experiences" for them, and VR still comes off like a tech demo more than a real platform to game on. That's a tough sell at over $500.

Seeing GT7 in VR had me getting impulse buy itches in my mouse hand the night I watched some videos, but that's not enough for the price. It's the same reason I've never pulled the trigger on a PC headset either.

VR is an endless chicken and egg situation with the software.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked by this at all. This screamed niche product. The price is keeping this to diehards, and they can't even hope a PC audience will also buy it because it's wall gardened, so it's a niche within a niche.

GT7 is the flagship title for this VR device. This really says where it lands regarding a mainstream audience, which in case it has to be said: this product isn't for the mainstream at all.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
VR is a gimmick. It's like 3D.

You're probably gonna catch flack for this, but I have to agree. VR is fun for awhile, but once the novelty wears off, it's just uncomfortable and isolating. My Vive has been collecting dust in the garage for years...and I have zero desire to go back to it, even with Alyx in my Steam library.

Going fishing in Animal Crossing with all your buddies on your island in VR. 🥺 Nintendo has too many perfect IPs for VR.

Meh. It's still just a screen slapped on your face.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Once Meta pulled back hard on VR spending , it was pretty obvious the whole VR sector was going to be hurting.

VR is just not there yet for non-niche adoption.