• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only two weeks to go for Oathbringer. Getting harder to distract myself from this fact. I was really hoping we'd see Kindle Match come back for its release... not looking forward to hauling another monster tome around for weeks while I finish it.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can I confessed here that I have love-hate relationship with Sanderson? :p

Very few people like things without qualification if they are being honest. The range of opinion in this community, at least historically from our last forum, is pretty large. As long as you are being reasonable in criticism and don't come off like a thread crapping troll you'll be fine.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Very few people like things without qualification if they are being honest. The range of opinion in this community, at least historically from our last forum, is pretty large. As long as you are being reasonable in criticism and don't come off like a thread crapping troll you'll be fine.
I'm certainly wouldn't do that. I love Anderson as equally as I hate him. I have one novel of him that I love completely though and it's The Alloy of Law.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm certainly wouldn't do that. I love Anderson as equally as I hate him. I have one novel of him that I love completely though and it's The Alloy of Law.
lol that's funny, Alloy of Law is the only book of his I've read (and I've read everything in the Cosmere, at least) which I didn't really like much at all

I'm glad you enjoyed it that much though!

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
I've started the second Mistborn series, not far into the Alloy of Law but really enjoyed
The fight at the wedding reception with the Vanishers. Some really cool uses of both Wax and Wayne's abilities and how they work together as a team. Thought the time bubble at the very start where the two discuss their plan of action was pretty cool also, sort of "calm before the storm" moment.
Looking forward to the rest of it now.

BlaineStarJoe

Oct 27, 2017
By an act of pure serendipity, I stumbled upon Brandon Sanderson. What a great writer. I finished up the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and discovered that Brandon helped w/ the last of the books at the end of Robert's life. From there I started w/ the Mistborn series. So good. So so good.

Kayma

Oct 26, 2017
Very glad this thread made the jump! Love Sanderson, and can't wait to continue with The Stormlight Archive.

In the meantime, I'm on my... 4th attempt to finish Elantris? I love everything I've read by Sanderson, but Elantris has been tough to stick for me. I have a long commute once a week, so I've been powering through the audiobook. I'm really fascinated by how I can find it equal parts wonderful and tediuous... but I'm liking it more the further I make it,

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very glad this thread made the jump! Love Sanderson, and can't wait to continue with The Stormlight Archive.

In the meantime, I'm on my... 4th attempt to finish Elantris? I love everything I've read by Sanderson, but Elantris has been tough to stick for me. I have a long commute once a week, so I've been powering through the audiobook. I'm really fascinated by how I can find it equal parts wonderful and tediuous... but I'm liking it more the further I make it,

Yeah, there are neat nuggets in there especially as it goes on, but the fact that it is his first published work really shows. My wife trailed off on Elantris maybe 100 pages in and never went back. Thankfully it isn't terribly long and, at least so far, isn't super important on a larger Cosmere level.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I have less than a fortnight now to finish up Warbreaker and Arcanum Unbound before book 3. Damn I'm looking forward to it.

In terms of love-hate with Sanderson, it's not really hate but I won't even bother to read his stuff outside the cosmere. It just doesn't interest me at all for some reason.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just realized I have less than a fortnight now to finish up Warbreaker and Arcanum Unbound before book 3. Damn I'm looking forward to it.

In terms of love-hate with Sanderson, it's not really hate but I won't even bother to read his stuff outside the cosmere. It just doesn't interest me at all for some reason.

I read the first Reckoners and I liked it but... all I could think about was wanting something Cosmere related instead. It's unfair to him and to his work, but my love of the Cosmere just flat out distracts me from getting into anything else of his that is t Cosmere. The brain is funny. If he were writing YA under a pseudonym I wouldn't suffer from this hang up.

His short fiction is, I guess, short enough that my mind doesn't have time to wander off to "hey wouldn't it be great if I were reading new Cosmere stories instead." I enjoyed Perfect State and both Infinity Blade novellas.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The Reckoners trilogy was pretty decent. Ending felt a bit rushed but it's solid overall. It was a pretty interesting concept too.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
n2s9q.jpg

Oathbringer is the most pre-ordered title in Audible's history. Pretty cool.

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, there are neat nuggets in there especially as it goes on, but the fact that it is his first published work really shows. My wife trailed off on Elantris maybe 100 pages in and never went back. Thankfully it isn't terribly long and, at least so far, isn't super important on a larger Cosmere level.

Eh, the shardpools are introduced in Elantris, and I reckon Sel must be pretty important as a hub world because of them.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Eh, the shardpools are introduced in Elantris, and I reckon Sel must be pretty important as a hub world because of them.
Weelllll they're "introduced" but the shardpools as an entity are really more well established in Mistborn Secret History tbh

I definitely foresee the Elantris canon being important to the overall Cosmere mythology in its own right down the road, of course. I'd say I want Brandon to hurry up and write Elantris 2 but then I'd be putting my foot in my mouth when the next TSA or Mistborn novel get delayed. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the process of re-listening to Way of Kings, and it's so good. I tend to do a ton of driving for work, so I lean on audiobooks. I was killing time before Oathbringer, but I ended up starting Way of Kings again instead. It's 50 hours or so and Word of Radiance is even longer, but there's so much to take in. I finished the rest of Sanderson's books in between too, and it's unveiling so much. I won't touch too much, but
the three travelers by the clear lake was pretty cool with the other knowledge in hand

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Heh, well, first of all shardpools as a concept aren't even defined in-universe yet. The way the shardpool in Elantris is presented offers no connection to a shard or even the idea of investiture. It's just shown as a place where Elantrians go to die. And for good reason, when Elantris was written and the pool envisioned, it was only done so as a literary device, and not as a device of realmatic magic systems.

The presentation of a shardpool is far more significant in Mistborn.

Also when I say it isn't so far "super important" that's a statement of relativity. Not that there is no importance or significance just that others are more so.

Last edited:

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
About 70% done with WoR. Should finish up just in time for Oathbringer. I seemed to have planned this out fairly well. Loving the Stormlight Archive books so far.

weemaster

Oct 25, 2017
Reading WoK for the first time, 900 pages into the book. The world building is so good and for some reason i remember Berserk when reading it. I really like it and can't wait to catch up to you guys with Oathbringer. Just bought the Mistborn trilogy last week too.
Been meaning to ask, should i continue to WoR after WoK or should i read his other works since they are somewhat related before starting WoR?

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading WoK for the first time, 900 pages into the book. The world building is so good and for some reason i remember Berserk when reading it. I really like it and can't wait to catch up to you guys with Oathbringer. Just bought the Mistborn trilogy last week too.
Been meaning to ask, should i continue to WoR after WoK or should i read his other works since they are somewhat related before starting WoR?
It's probably a good idea to read Warbreaker before continuing but it's not required.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finding it very difficult to make it through Edgedancer. I detest Lift and Sanderson's "how do you do, fellow kids?" dialogue (awesomeness, etc...)

I also think he tries too hard when writing women. I enjoyed Shallan and Jasnah in Stormlight, until I realized that almost all of his female characters in other works are written almost exactly the same. Like the character in his book with the magical parrot/birds or whatever. That's Shallan almost exactly.

edit: Vathi from Sixth of the Dusk

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finding it very difficult to make it through Edgedancer. I detest Lift and Sanderson's "how do you do, fellow kids?" dialogue (awesomeness, etc...)

I also think he tries too hard when writing women. I enjoyed Shallan and Jasnah in Stormlight, until I realized that almost all of his female characters in other works are written almost exactly the same. Like the character in his book with the magical parrot/birds or whatever. That's Shallan almost exactly.

edit: Vathi from Sixth of the Dusk

Re: Lift. I agree about Lift in general, and would like to reiterate sentiments I expressed in GAF that we need to see her mature some as time goes on. She can be painful to read. Though I did like her a bit more by the end of Edgedancer, I've seen the word "awesomeness" enough for the rest of my life.

Re: women, disagree completely. Vin, Jasnah, Shallan, Navani, Vivenna, Siri, Sarene, Shai, Silence, and lets not forget Lift, as much as I might like to, Marasi, Steris, Ranette... it's pretty diverse. Can you find similarities between characters? Of course. You can find similarities between male characters as well. You can find similarities cross gender. But I think it's a serious stretch to claim almost all of the, are written the same.

What does try too hard even mean in this context anyway? You say he tries too hard but then say he writes almost all of his female characters the same. That seems like the opposite of trying too hard.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Lift. I agree about Lift in general, and would like to reiterate sentiments I expressed in GAF that we need to see her mature some as time goes on. She can be painful to read. Though I did like her a bit more by the end of Edgedancer, I've seen the word "awesomeness" enough for the rest of my life.

In regards to "try too hard"... i don't know exactly what I mean. I suppose it was a poor choice of words. And perhaps I'm being a bit uncharitable.

Regarding Lift. Can she mature?
I believe her boon/curse is that she won't be able to mentally age or mature as a person. She's 13, but doesn't act 13. She acts more like 10. Which is the age she was when she went to the Nightwatcher or whatever it is called. We know she can physically age. The thieves at the very beginning of Edgedancer peg her as being at least 12, based on her appearance.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well considering that Lift will
be one of the main protagonists of the second arc of novels (books 6-10), I certainly hope she will have matured by then :lol

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In regards to "try too hard"... i don't know exactly what I mean. I suppose it was a poor choice of words. And perhaps I'm being a bit uncharitable.

Regarding Lift. Can she mature?
I believe her boon/curse is that she won't be able to mentally age or mature as a person. She's 13, but doesn't act 13. She acts more like 10. Which is the age she was when she went to the Nightwatcher or whatever it is called. We know she can physically age. The thieves at the very beginning of Edgedancer peg her as being at least 12, based on her appearance.

yeah, whether or not she can seems to be the big question. We had a decent discussion around this issue before and there's really no consensus. All I know is I can't read the word awesomeness anymore haha.
also...

it appears the old magic CAN somehow be broken and again what this means for Lift is anyone's guess. The Stormfather says Dalinar's restored memory has nothing to do with him but maybe the storm light heals the spiritweb damage done by the Nightwatchers boon/curse? Would the Stormfather's statement still be true if it were the storm light? So many questions!

Also want to reiterate how I love Era's spoiler titles.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, whether or not she can seems to be the big question. We had a decent discussion around this issue before and there's really no consensus. All I know is I can't read the word awesomeness anymore haha.
also...

it appears the old magic CAN somehow be broken and again what this means for Lift is anyone's guess. The Stormfather says Dalinar's restored memory has nothing to do with him but maybe the storm light heals the spiritweb damage done by the Nightwatchers boon/curse? Would the Stormfather's statement still be true if it were the storm light? So many questions!

Also want to reiterate how I love Era's spoiler titles.

Wait wait hold on...

Dalinar has restored memory? I somehow completely forgot that... When does he remember his dead wife?

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well considering that Lift will
be one of the main protagonists of the second arc of novels (books 6-10), I certainly hope she will have matured by then :lol

I don't know, I think it could be used to drive home the point that:

change is good, and running away from your problems by wishing to never change (and thus mature) is bad. I'm thinking she won't grow until her boon/curse is reversed.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Am I misremembering because I seem to recall Lift starts talking in a more mature manner at the end of the book, illustrating that a lot of her persona is an act that she puts on to stay young.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait wait hold on...

Dalinar has restored memory? I somehow completely forgot that... When does he remember his dead wife?

yep, in chapter 16. He and Navani have discussed it several times since, as well.

Am I misremembering because I seem to recall Lift starts talking in a more mature manner at the end of the book, illustrating that a lot of her persona is an act that she puts on to stay young.

That's certainly part of the thought process.
Edgedancer did quite a bit to make us question exactly what the nature of Lift's boon and curse are.

rakhir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was too young to read serialized novels in magazines, so the slow trickle of Oathbringer chapters is fascinating for me. It's like watching a tv show instead of binging it all at once like a madman.
I think i will kinda miss it, since there's only one more to go.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yep, in chapter 16. He and Navani have discussed it several times since, as well.

That's certainly part of the thought process.
Edgedancer did quite a bit to make us question exactly what the nature of Lift's boon and curse are.

To clarify, none of that happens in WoR or WoK?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ah what the heck, now I see a trade paperback on Amazon.ca releasing on Nov 14... why did they wait so long to list this? I didn't even know it was being published at the same time as the hardcover; probably would have pre-ordered it instead. Well too late now, as it's already in a larger order with various discounts applied.

MrTowel

Oct 25, 2017
Ah what the heck, now I see a trade paperback on Amazon.ca releasing on Nov 14... why did they wait so long to list this? I didn't even know it was being published at the same time as the hardcover; probably would have pre-ordered it instead. Well too late now, as it's already in a larger order with various discounts applied.

That's...weird. I'm not even seeing a listing on Indigo for a softcover yet either. I've been seeing a lot of same day hard/softcover there recently.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just making sure. That's why I don't have memories of it :)

I assume by your reaction you are ok with that? I was a little worried but then I was like "but, that's why I labeled the spoiler". So... we ok? Lol

Re: TPB of Oathbringer: I think it's either a mistake or a listing of a foreign edition. Amazon US is also showing a german edition TPB for like $40 haha

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume by your reaction you are ok with that? I was a little worried but then I was like "but, that's why I labeled the spoiler". So... we ok? Lol

Re: TPB of Oathbringer: I think it's either a mistake or a listing of a foreign edition. Amazon US is also showing a german edition TPB for like $40 haha

I personally am never bothered by spoilers, which is why I was clicking them. I got confused and misread one of yours and that's why I thought maybe it was also brought up in Book 2 potentially.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I've read WoK and WoR twice, and read Warbreaker last year for the first time and I just now realized the link between them.

I read up on it to clarify some points, but it's really cool how interconnected the Cosmere is!

I've had Oathbreaker pre-ordered on Kindle for ages. Can't believe we're less than two weeks away!

Is Edge Dancer worth reading before Oathbreaker?

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Edge Dancer worth reading before Oathbreaker?

It's hard to say much without spoiling it or speculating on Oathbringer. Depending on how you feel about Lift, it can be a difficult read. But there are definitely things in Edgedancer which could be played upon in Oathbringer. Many have been calling it Stormlight Archive Book 2.5.

Especially now that it's available as a stand-alone novella.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of dislike the whole Cosmere thing. I'd prefer each series to be in its own reality instead of some shared universe. Too similar to comic books for my taste. I already feel like I'm missing out on stuff because I havent fully read Mistborn. or Warbreaker.