• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As a game the first, like, six hours were the best part of the experience. The Plateau, where you were constantly wondering what you'd see or experience next.

After that, it becomes the same exact shit over and over again ad nauseum until you get bored and give up.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh, your experience is exactly mine except I didn't even beat it, I stopped after 70 hours.

But those first 50 hours were probably the best gaming I've had this gen. So it's weird I think, I think it earns its reputation if you try and just see it as an amazing orienteering game or something

Tbf, I dont give a shit about Loz canon or Ganon so it was easy for me to walk away from it.

Insaniac

Jul 27, 2018
Mileage may vary. This is going to be a common complaint with open worlds in that its difficult to keep the player very engaged and interested. For BOTW, I knew what to expect and its what I wanted, and open vast world with beautiful areas to explore and just wander around so it held my attention for a long time. When I got tired of one thing I moved to a new objective (I.E. instead of grinding out the divine beasts I decided to find a couple of the memories. Or I'd go Shrine hunting, or find little side quests etc)

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up absolutely loving the game but I do agree to an extent (I think I played for ~67 hours). The 4 beasts and the story were great and the world itself was super impressive for a Switch / handheld game. But the two things that bothered me were a). the shrines just weren't that exciting so I didn't really have an incentive to keep finding them and b). weapon degradation made me much more open to just running away from enemies after hour 40 so exploring the open world lost some of its luster

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I spent 3 days full engrossed with the world. I exected it at somepoint to become kinda boring. Every game does.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up absolutely loving the game but I do agree to an extent (I think I played for ~67 hours). The 4 beasts and the story were great and the world itself was super impressive for a Switch / handheld game. But the two things that bothered me were a). the shrines just weren't that exciting so I didn't really have an incentive to keep finding them and b). weapon degradation made me much more open to just running away from enemies after hour 40 so exploring the open world lost some of its luster

Yup. There's almost no reason to engage in combat after a while, since it's almost always a losing proposition to actually fight enemies and break all your weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
It is magical until you feel like you've seen everything and nothing will surprise you, it's still great and probably the best open world game of all time.

More "events" and enemy diversity would do a lot for the game, hopefully BotW delivers in that department.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Everyone always says that the weapon destruction was not an inconvenience. After the first big dungeon, I started noticing how I would fight difficult enemies and lose every weapon. And then I would be roaming with nothing. Folks tell me that they always had plenty. I just cannot really understand this. Maybe I suck lol but still.

To this day, I wish there was a mode with the exact same difficulty but no weapons breaking. Or at least let me use the master sword with no recharge without a difficult DLC.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The good thing about the BOTW structure is that you can finish the game when you feel like it. If you dedicate too much time and you end up bored it is your fault.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
BOTW Weapon Degradation. Here are the facts.

The more you fight, the better the weapons you receive.
The more you fight, the more weapons you receive.
You will constantly be throwing weapons into the abyss if you play the game for even an hour or two.
Weak weapons break instantly (hey, what do you know, a tree branch doesn't hold up) and strong weapons last longer.
You can (and should) supplement combat with parries, bombs, arrows, and magnesis.
The game has several locations where you can stock up on piles of weapons for free.
You can fire a singular shock arrow at an enemy and they'll drop their weapon. A boko bow and a dozen arrows can get you 12 fresh, brand-new weapons if you were in such a need.
When your weapon is close to breaking, you can hurl it in the face of your enemy for a critical hit.

A vocal minority wanted another Ocarina clone where they get a Master Sword and a Hylian Shield where they can just Z-target and sword-and-board their way through the entire game one enemy at time. Breath of the Wild asked, "what if we drop 127 different weapons into this game and turn the weapons the players use into ammunition rather than giving them a small handful of swords?" Shockingly, when players avoid combat, they never get to experience the fun the Jackie Chan-style combat and the experimentation that comes using a wide variety of swords, broadswords, spears, and magic rods. You know, it's funny. When you play a game like Halo and find a rocket launcher on the ground, you don't flood the forums complaining that it didn't come with infinite rockets. You also don't complain when the game makes you drop a weapon to make room for a new one. Turn that system in melee weapons and the vocal minority loses their shit.

The game does everything in its power to shove new and stronger weapons down the player's throat, but people want to sidestep that point completely because their boko bat in minute 30 of their playthrough broke on an enemy that was holding its shield up in defense.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you'll always run into low level grunts in any game.
It sounds like you started to actively avoid combat, which explains why you were getting poorer drops.

I was seeing black bokos in Hyrule Castle with soldier weapons. After the amount of shrines I completed the game should've naturally ratcheted up the enemy gear to an acceptable level. Grinding enemies to force the game to give me possibly better drops isn't a realistic play scenario, especially when I didn't find the combat elementally fun.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Literally every open world game too me. Except Breath of the Wild stayed fresher and exciting for longer due to the map not telegraphing everything.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I was seeing black bokos with soldier weapons. After the amount of shrines I completed the game should've naturally ratcheted up the enemy gear to an acceptable level. Grinding enemies to force the game to give me possibly better drops isn't a realistic play scenario, especially when I didn't find the combat elementally fun.
The game expects you to engage with the systems to get better payoffs. Your not engaging with the systems is fine and your choice, but then the result is you will not get the associated rewards either.
BOTW, in any case, offers a ridiculous amount of options to take on combat encounters, many of which sidestep the need to engage in combat entirely.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
My problem is that by the time I was tired of the game, I was so tired of it that I couldn't even convince myself to go to Hyrule Castle. So, essentially, I dropped the game 90 hours in after the 4 divine beasts, with a decent chunk of DLC done, yet not having stepped foot near Hyrule Castle.
Same here, but I stopped 3 divine beasts in. Didn't do the desert or finish the game. I'll probably go back eventually, but I still don't have any desire to about 2 years later.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird game to me. Loved the Plateau section, and then once I jumped off and hit the open world, game just turned to shit to me. I have replayed the Plateau like 8 times or something and once i jump off I always just drop the game. I really should at least go beat Ganon at some point so I can see that.
Complete opposite here. Hated the Plateau wanted to do everything I could to get off it early.

The real fun is navigating the map for the first time, Breath of the Wild secret sauce is that the landscape is so verse, with so many cliffs you can't climb just yet, so there was constant awe in exploration and things to find. And if you wanted to call it quits, it was easy to move on to the next section of the story and progress.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

That's fine, and I don't disagree. But if I saw a moblin horde during my 50th hour I had no real reason to go through them which - to me - took some of the fun out of the game.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I agree, the game becomes really uninteresting at some point. You just encounter the same enemy design over and over, no surprise in the traversal at all, same abilities since the beginning but just improved over the story, the dungeons become very fucking boring to be at (aside from being unchallenging and short) after you have overcome the first two dungeons, the trials become repetitive etc.

This is really a very undelwhelming Zelda game for me.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. There's almost no reason to engage in combat after a while, since it's almost always a losing proposition to actually fight enemies and break all your weapons.
I actually kinda liked that about the game, I get so sick of combat in a lot of games, especially ones that last as long as BOTW, so I actually played the majority of the game barely doing combat.

Of course that screwed me during the rare occasions I DO have to fight. Like the combat shrines or the boss fights in the motorcycle dlc I just finished. I was so rusty at combat that I had to redo those a lot.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I am 3/4 of the way through and feel this one was over hyped. Its a vast ocean...that is only about 2 inches deep.

The world is beautiful, I love the climbing and combat, there just isn't shit to do! The side quests are boring, the characters are nonexistent and forgettable. There are a good amount of great ideas here that just meed to be expanded upon.

I like the divine beasts but they were too short. Next time I would like actual dungeons, better quests and characters, more enemy varieties, more armor and for the love of christ I hope hyrule blacksmiths discover steel because all the weapons on this game are made of paper mache.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The game expects you to engage with the systems to get better payoffs. Your not engaging with the systems is fine and your choice, but then the result is you will not get the associated rewards either.
BOTW, in any case, offers a ridiculous amount of options to take on combat encounters, many of which sidestep the need to engage in combat entirely.

I completed over 60% of the shrines and killed pretty much every enemy I encountered in a shrine. I just didn't enjoy engaging in non-forced combat in the open world. Like I said, I was seeing enemies IN Hyrule Castle wielding early-game gear while I had an inventory full of Royal Guard equipment and magic shit I didn't want to waste on random grunts.

Aug 28, 2019
I think the best way to describe my experience with the game was that it was a lot of little great moments that didn't add up to very much.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I completed over 60% of the shrines and killed pretty much every enemy I encountered in a shrine. I just didn't enjoy engaging in non-forced combat in the open world. Like I said, I was seeing enemies IN Hyrule Castle wielding early-game gear while I had an inventory full of Royal Guard equipment and magic shit I didn't want to waste on random grunts.
But most shrines don't actually have any combat...
Like, I get your complaint, and I'm not disagreeing with your experience, but I am telling you why it turned out the way it did.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't tell you how hard this hits home for me OP.

The first 50 hours or so were some of the most magical experiences Ive ever had in a game. The sense of wonderment and exploration was something I hadn't felt about a game since OOT on the N64 when I was like 8. But after that point you started realizing how lacking exploration really was. Almost everything cool to discover mostly ended up being a korok seed or a shrine. I was hoping for more unique gameplay sectrions like the mazes or eventide island. But those were outliers as opposed to the majority of discoveries.

I recently bought it again when I got a switch thinking after a year or so a replay could bring back that experience but it only solidified the problem for me. I don't dislike the game but I wish more areas had more unique experiences to them that rewarded discovery. The game was amazing and those first 50 hours were truly special so I will never speak poorly of the game. I just hope the next entry provides a bit more in this department (along with giving us more Zelda tropes like temples and items).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's just a general case of the fact that most games will struggle to be entertaining for well over 100 hours. I've played through the game twice plus the Champions Ballad and that combined time was 'only' 120ish hours. I don't think I'd like to play the game for 130 hours on one save either, and I do really like the game.

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I did about 90 shrines before beating it. Wanted to get all 120 but found it to be boring.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first I hated BOTW but I returned to it and rid myself of my expectations of what a Zelda game "should" be like, but now that I'm some time away from it I can't for the life of me remember a single moment from the entire game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Op eating marshmallows or Oreos: why is the 26th one I eat less satisfying???
I keep seeing this sentiment and I'm confused by it. If youre playing the game blind it very likely is going to take you more than 50 hours to see everything. And if youve made a world that big that it would take that much time to explore, why should we not be evaluating it for its entire content?

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly the big thing that would keep me playing Botw is if it had a better combat(melee) system. Like at a certain point I just stopped combat engagements and just rushed to the end.

I hoped that along with more weapons and enemy types is improved for the sequel.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I put 140 hours+ in and I would say for me the first 70-80 hours were absolutely incredible.....like I felt like it was going to be GOAT for me and I was wondering how I'd ever care about another game. Over the last 70 hours or so the effect wore off a bit and things started to get a bit more tedious, but I still thought it was great.

For me the open world was amazing, but after a while I had explored and experimented to death and the story, dungeons, and bosses were not as good as several other Zelda games. The overworld was so far and away better than any other 3D Zelda that it just creates a stunning effect, but the actual story/dungeon progression is weaker than most Zeldas. Its still a top 10 game for me but I can at least understand where OP is coming from.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The moment I realized it went from one of the best games ever to another chore was when I was at the volcano and dousing for some laval butterflies for some armor upgrade for like 20 minutes, then looking at what next collectible I needed and I was like...nah. That's not what this game is about. At all. I'm not having fun right now.
Fuck dousing. Fuck trying to upgrade all armor. Fuck all of that. This is an adventure, not a checklist simulator. So I stopped, and after a short while I had the same fun I had hours before that.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The game drifts between being rather bleh and an enjoyable time waster rather unpredictably.

Content distribution is pretty terrible and a lot of the worthwhile content like shrines is actually quite bad.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
BotW is not made to go 100%.

The "reward" is literally a piece of shit for completing the game.

Just play it, roam around, go fight Ganon when you are tired and that's it. The game doesn't even push you to explore or do anything in particular.
i spent 80 hours on it and far from 100% it its fun to just keep jumping in for an hour or two every while though to find new stuff but 100%ing the game looks like a chore tbh most zelda games arent that fun to 100%

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The moment I realized it went from one of the best games ever to another chore was when I was at the volcano and dousing for some laval butterflies for some armor upgrade for like 20 minutes, then looking at what next collectible I needed and I was like...nah. That's not what this game is about. At all. I'm not having fun right now.
Fuck dousing. Fuck trying to upgrade all armor. Fuck all of that. This is an adventure, not a checklist simulator. So I stopped, and after a short while I had the same fun I had hours before that.
So like, where did you land on the game in the end?

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I think it's a killer game but not the best Zelda game. The lack of real dungeons was a big bummer for me. Didn't enjoy the combat with the breakable weapons and the exploring became unrewarding after a while.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This complaint doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If you're bored 50 hours in FINISH THE DAMN GAME. Ganon is right there, he was always right there. This game does not gatekeep the ending at all, you have yourself to blame for that.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
My worry for the sequel is that they won't be able to create quite the same sense of awe and new effect that the BOTW overworld had. So its really imperative that they improve on the way they handle dungeons, bosses, and the story.

For me, while it was cool that they gave you all the tools at the start and theoretically you could go to the final boss at any time after you left the plateau, I missed the traditional dungeons and Metroid aspect of getting access to new things by gaining tools as you go. I think for me it would be okay if you had a more linear progression in an open world in order to do that.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with it is that most "surprises" you find are either shrines, korok seeds or weapons you see everywhere else. The rewards very quickly wear off because they are not unique at all. And yeah the story is kind of lame. Easily the worst Zelda story from a presentation standpoint.

Nov 21, 2018
I have over 400 hrs in breath of the wild and have 1 divine beast left, never fought gannon and about 80 shrines. I still pick it up from time to time just to toy around. I never felt the need to do everything or find everything I just did what I found fun and ignored what I didn't

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. The game just does not have the content to support such a huge world. The beginning is strong but once you see what the game has to offer the magic wears off pretty quickly and you're left with a game with many flaws in its basic game play.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty easy for the game to sort of collapse on itself like that. Your story is common, and ive experienced it myself. Initial wonderment, followed by disillusion. On the other hand, you got 130 hours before it happened. I got 70.

On the other hand, it can come back. After spending months thinking the game might not even be that good, I was able to return and get it all over again. I've now put about 250 hours into it.

Without clicker game progression like other open-world, you can suddenly lose motivation in the game but get it back this is feeling a little inspired. I still don't completely understand how it happens with this one.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
It's a game where you should not rush. I played like until 80 hours until I had done all the Divine Beasts and wanted to finish the game. I just couldn't let myself do it until I had all the Shrines completed. I force the last 20-30 shrines and did not enjoy game nearly as much I did before. It was a mistake. Still, it's nowhere near the drag as most of the open world games out there (I'm looking at you Ubisoft).

I've also enjoy replaying BotW casually as much or even more as I did before, especially in hard mode. I also loved the DLCs.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So like, where did you land on the game in the end?
The first 50 hours or so where still some of the best gaming I ever experienced so...yeah. Except for Bloodborne (for different reasons obviously) this gen had nothing that came close for me.

There are obvious areas for improvements like enemy and weapon variety, story presentation, dungeons and bosses, cooking and gear balancing, to name a few things. It's by no means perfect, but man was I in awe when I first played it. I don't know, I can't fault the game for not having endless hours of fun and they make it possible to end it whenever you like.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I tend to agree that BotW runs out of fun, original content long before many players will finish the game (cheers to the folks who love it all or just know when to quit). One or two more Hyrule Castle-style locations (big dungeons with challenging enemies, secret rooms, and high-level rewards) would have helped. I also hope the next game revisits how enemy-scaling works. Fighting is a lot less interesting when enemy HP levels render a lot of Link's toolkit ineffective.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I did all 120 shrines. I beat all the Divine Beast Dungeons. I did most of the side quests. I uncovered the whole map. I did all of the Sword Trials. I upgraded several suits. I found all the story segments

Look, it's a good Zelda game. It absolutely, 100%, does NOT deserve the highly ridiculous critic score it received. It's a paint by the numbers open world game, and the way it dolls out the "story" is stupid. I won't even get into the weapon breaking and weapon system itself, because that's been a bludgeoned to death discussion.