• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's best not to put too much faith in Tories voting against it though. Grieve, Greening and Bebb are the only ones I'm pretty sure will vote it down, as they did MV3. The problem with Tories refusing to back it is that their choices are pretty much this deal, no deal or a Labour/remain coalition government. The likes of Stewart and Gauke want to leave with a deal. The only reason I see Stewart voting it down is because passing it might hurt his chances as London Mayor. Hammond still wants the Tory whip back so will probably back it. Rudd could go either way.

I actually think Hammond really no longer cares about his political career, once you've been chancellor unless you're going to be PM it's all down hill. He's independently wealthy (a lot of the Tory Wets are) and he's essentially legacy building.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this deal was supposed to be worse than Mays which everybody hated? why would the hard brexiteers go for it?

Probably finally got it into their heads that it's the best we're going to get, and it will let them publically praise their lord Johnson for forcing the EU into a "great deal"

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It's best not to put too much faith in Tories voting against it though. Grieve, Greening and Bebb are the only ones I'm pretty sure will vote it down, as they did MV3. The problem with Tories refusing to back it is that their choices are pretty much this deal, no deal or a Labour/remain coalition government. The likes of Stewart and Gauke want to leave with a deal. The only reason I see Stewart voting it down is because passing it might hurt his chances as London Mayor. Hammond still wants the Tory whip back so will probably back it. Rudd could go either way.
I'd add Sandbach to the hard reject list. Symbolically, she lost her local CP's vote of confidence so I suspect she's got nothing to lose at this point.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
The DUP won't fold for a bit of cash if they believe the deal drives a wedge between NI and the rest of the UK and they have no real way to veto it. The union is everything to them.
Plot twist: Sinn Fein to kiss HM's ring, show up for the vote to stick it to the DUP and then fuck right off again

Oct 27, 2017
The fact they are trying to spin this as abolishing the backstop is insane, this deal being unacceptable is precisely why the backstop was created in the first place!

Oh man I need to stop reading and go look at my leeks now, I'll never survive until Saturday.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading the revised withdrawal agreement now and no custom duties on goods being brought into NI from the UK. I remember seeing that as a potential concern of the Irish Sea border. Though there's still work to be done on how to prevent goods being moved into NI from outside the Union and not being sent to the rest of the UK.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
LMAO... "this deal takes back control", except, of course, for leaving the EU with a ton of say over how we run the country.

Plus, you know, NI basically being left in the EU.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No deal isn't happening. Johnson blinked, he might through something into his manifesto of no deal is better than a bad deal (sic) but he has a deal. He's going to spend the next day or so frantically trying to sell it. There's no coming back from that.

Farage's reaction will be interesting, although predictable. It's not a question of whether he rails against it, it's how hard he goes against.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Remember everyone we have to pretend NI is still in the UK CU, even though you'll need to make declarations to ship goods to GB.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
No deal isn't happening. Johnson blinked, he might through something into his manifesto of no deal is better than a bad deal (sic) but he has a deal. He's going to spend the next day or so frantically trying to sell it. There's no coming back from that.

Farage's reaction will be interesting, although predictable. It's not a question of whether he rails against it, it's how hard he goes against.

He's been oddly quiet over the last few days - I'm wondering if he's gauging the route to take.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I find it interesting people are still arguing for a referendum because most polls still show a very slim to none remain majority.

Why not go for revoke? You basically doing a theresa may and back yourself in a corner where you have to accept brexit if another referendum votes leave.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last hope is attaching the deal to a 2nd ref and then we vote remain.... I fucking hate brexit

There are three ways this goes

1. deal passes (and we hope for SM&CU alignment in the future relationship talks
2. deal amended for 2ref passes
3. deal does not pass, we get an extension, then either an election or a referendum

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Last hope is attaching the deal to a 2nd ref and then we vote remain.... I fucking hate brexit
It isn't the last hope. Without the DUP support the deal will not pass, Johnson must get an extension and we get an election. Attaching a people's vote could increase its chances of being passed although I wonder if the Government would then try to kill the entire deal.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bingo.

Johnson hit exactly the same realities that May did earlier on in the year, in that no one who becomes aware of the full ramifications of No Deal will ever countenance inflicting it on the country (or, more cynically, their own career).

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Farage is the main reason I don't want a general election, I honestly think he would be the biggest winner from it as things are at the moment

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Now we can focus on other things, like..... spending the next 3-5 years negotiating the *actual* deal. But hopefully people will give up and not pay attention so we can line our pockets quietly

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I find it interesting people are still arguing for a referendum because most polls still show a very slim to none remain majority.

Why not go for revoke? You basically doing a theresa may and back yourself in a corner where you have to accept brexit if another referendum votes leave.

Almost every poll in the last year has shown a Remain majority, often outwith the margin of error.

Not saying polls are infallible, but it's a much safer bet than a GE at this point.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

there has been a remain majority in the polls of 3-6% all year. You can see it in referendum polling but you can also see it in Westminster polling. Tories and BXP numbers change but they always add up to somewhere around 45/46%. That's your leave vote. Plus, if this went to a referendum, I doubt it would pass Faragist purity tests which would lead to boycotts and apathy from the hard line brexiteers.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't the last hope. Without the DUP support the deal will not pass, Johnson must get an extension and we get an election. Attaching a people's vote could increase its chances of being passed although I wonder if the Government would then try to kill the entire deal.

It may be the best hope, though. I'd pick a referendum choosing remain over this deal as a more likely result than a GE not returning a Tory majority consisting of MPs who are loyal enough to back Boris' deal (or worse, no deal).

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Almost every poll in the last year has shown a Remain majority, often outwith the margin of error.

Bear in mind that the propaganda machine will roll back into action pushing lies on Facebook and elsewhere as soon as campaigning begins for a new referendum. There's been a gentle surge of that ongoing, but don't underestimate their ability to step it up. A remain win is not a foregone conclusion.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Bear in mind that the propaganda machine will roll back into action pushing lies on Facebook and elsewhere as soon as campaigning begins for a new referendum. There's been a gentle surge of that ongoing, but don't underestimate their ability to step it up. A remain win is not a foregone conclusion.
It's kinda hard to promise unicorns when the deal is right there in front of us though.

I mean they will, obviously. But it's a lot more difficult to get people to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.