• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying this but I'm one of the developers on the game. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions!

To address the main concern I'm seeing in here, though: We promise this isn't any sort of reskin! We built the game from the ground up to be its own unique thing, and part of that was offering four playable characters with unique movesets/playstyles. Two of the characters have auto-runner gameplay, whereas the other two have different gameplay entirely.

Anyway, I apologize if this comes off as me trying to market the game or anything along those lines. I just wanted to offer a little insight! And if anyone has any other questions please let me know!

Ok, easiest question ever.

Why Bubsy?

Of all the 90s era mascots, and even 00s era mascots at this point now, why him of all possible options?

Oct 27, 2017
"Not only do I wish they start making Bubsy games again 25 years after the fact, I hope they add that one dude from the failed cartoon pilot too."

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how Bubsy went from being a sincere-but-poorly-executed platformer to the video game equivalent of a shitpost.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
So I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying this but I'm one of the developers on the game. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions!

Here's my question, and I ask with sincerity: how poorly did Runner 3 sell that you have to lower yourselves to making ironic pap like this? Why would anyone choose to prolong this unfunny joke in the presence of literally any other option?

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Get ready for Bubsy's reveal at Smash tomorrow!! You will love it!!

Now let's talk seriously. Why is this happening? This situation is funny as hell, but does not makes any sense.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
God damn the lack of anisotropic filtering at the last scene... But well Nintendo is guilty of that too.

I played TWSB and it was the most average game ever made and then it was also over after like 2 hours.

origummy

Sep 24, 2018
I guess Bubsy is the equivalent of "all PR is good PR", it'll get people to notice your game but for all the wrong reasons. Probably the equivalent of causing a massive accident with an advertising vehicle. Yeah, everybody will see you...

Don't get those comments wrong, the previous Bubsy wasn't just a reskin either, all the content in it was its own but it was clear that it was strongly based on Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams (except missing the titular twisted world mechanic). But it was tedious garbage and over in 2 hours.

I hear you. And we of course can't deny the fact that this game has auto-runner gameplay in it! But we've also worked hard to give the game an identity of its own, so the auto-runner gameplay in this game really does feel different from our BIT.TRIP RUNNER games. Bubsy's glide, as one example, adds a very different feel to the gameplay. And two of the four playable characters aren't auto-runners at all!

origummy

Sep 24, 2018
Ok, easiest question ever.

Why Bubsy?

Of all the 90s era mascots, and even 00s era mascots at this point now, why him of all possible options?

A fair question! The stars aligned and we thought it sounded like a fun project for the studio. We like making goofy games and we felt like we had the ability to make a fun Bubsy game, so we went for it. I know some people are actively annoyed by the character but we really are doing our best to make a game people will legitimately enjoy!

origummy

Sep 24, 2018
Here's my question, and I ask with sincerity: how poorly did Runner 3 sell that you have to lower yourselves to making ironic pap like this? Why would anyone choose to prolong this unfunny joke in the presence of literally any other option?

Jeez, harsh! Honestly we were excited when we got the gig and we're happy with the game we're making! It's not just a "meme" game for us--we set out to make a good Bubsy game and feel confident we're accomplishing this!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bubsy was pretty cool when I was a kid, I was into him for a spell.
Jeez, harsh! Honestly we were excited when we got the gig and we're happy with the game we're making! It's not just a "meme" game for us--we set out to make a good Bubsy game and feel confident we're accomplishing this!
Pretty cool! Interesting IP to work with. Good luck!

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
I'm actually starting to admire Bubsy, it doesn't matter how much shit people throw at him, he just doesn't give up!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that there are lots of people who are huge fans of the original bubsy games, even as a 6 years old kid I thought that they were unplayable messes

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To address the main concern I'm seeing in here, though: We promise this isn't any sort of reskin! We built the game from the ground up to be its own unique thing, and part of that was offering four playable characters with unique movesets/playstyles. Two of the characters have auto-runner gameplay, whereas the other two have different gameplay entirely.

Anyway, I apologize if this comes off as me trying to market the game or anything along those lines. I just wanted to offer a little insight! And if anyone has any other questions please let me know!
Why the current Bubsy design is still so faithful to the original? It was bad from the start IMO. I think a bold redesign could work with Bubsy. The current one, it's not great.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Runner3 wasn't the best game, to be honest [disclaimer: I reviewed it for a website].

I'm interested to see how they change the gameplay to fit the Bubsy template.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The only explanation is that some hidden millionaire is a mega Bubsy fan and is funding this shit from the shadows.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The overall... weird, meta tone of the Runner games actually meshes really well with Bubsy. It works, in a stupid way.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Why
Won't
He
Die

Can whatever necromancy is at play here be used for Gex or Croc instead plz, or better yet Soul Reaver and Syphon Filter.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Thats some REAL bad AF on the streets

1d1fe6dd422d9cfb52921fca3b04842b.jpg

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, even if the game turns out to be good, nobody will take it seriously just because it's Bubsy.

I have already watched the pilot episode. Thank god the series didn't get past did. It was lame, and it wasn't even funny for those days. I don't know how many times did Bubsy say "What could possibly go wrong?", and I don't get why did he had to mention it so many times. It wasn't funny at the first time, it wouldn't become funny the N-th time.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

are you the ones to break the curse

are you

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The only explanation is that some hidden millionaire is a mega Bubsy fan and is funding this shit from the shadows.

Accolade and associated brands like Bubsy were purchased by an IP holding company in Hong Kong a year or two ago, that's why Bubsy keeps being shoved down peoples' throats--they're trying to milk their investment and it probably doesn't cost them a lot of money to do it.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I genuinely love the first Bubsy game, and secretly own a copy of all bubsy releases from every region including the Super Famicom version. It's a fine game, just gotta get the hang of the controls and approach it as a exploration platformer rather than a fast sonic game. Take your time, like stroking a fine Persian cat.

I liked the PS4 game mostly for the soundtrack, gameplay was just fine, just a bit pedestrian. I'll pick up this game too.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018

Well if anyone is gonna be able to make a good Bubsy game its probably you guys