CDP tweets trash tweet about trans people AGAIN this time from GOG (Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bansai

Oct 28, 2017
I like you CDPR, but you really need to fire those dumbasses who handle your social media accounts, make public announcement and properly apologise, seriously.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If that's the best response PR team could think of, I guess I don't respect this company any more.
I can see why they would want to bring out a non-political statement asap. This is one. As bland an apology as they go. Doesn't read heartfelt in any way though.

I typed out something, to say that this might have been a tweet out of ignorance and not knowing any better, but then I was reminded of the other two tweets. Combined, they are not a good look. Not sure I could defend them based on not assuming the worst any more. 2 times might just be really unlucky timing combined with ignorance or bad luck (the picture) but three times in this short timespan paints a picture about your social media staff and by extension you as a company that is not pretty.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Posting personal information, ignoring mod post.
Looks like the social media manager for GOG has a history

Mod Edit: Content removed

Aka a huge bigot and fascist aka gamergater

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitsunelaine

My favorite cake is pie
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sent a cancellation request as well. Told them not to try to repeat the non-apology and also laid out ways they can remedy their behaviour (Donating to pro-trans groups in their home country, sincerely apologizing and also firing their PR guy)

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
I “love” how all of this was blamed on Eastern Europe’s culture ITT. Smh

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games aren't apolitical. PR isn't apolitical. Marketing isn't apolitical. GOG has taken plenty of political stances. Hell, the whole site is based on a political ideology about the ownership of digital purchases. The whole "let's leave politics out of the door" is a coward's response. We need to fight against all the hateful, violent rhetoric that is getting more and more pervasive throughout society, not feed into it and not be silent at the face of it.
Rhetoric based social media fights change what? I genuinely want to know because I've lost all my enthusiasm for that kind of activism.

If modern day global tyranny is run by a handful of elites through American corporations, American military, American intelligence, and various American global financial instruments of power; and since the tyranny allows this discourse on their official channels, it must mean that it doesn't threaten their privilege or power.
Paraphrasing MLK, the privileged will never give up their power willingly, and since people acting in groups are far more immoral than individuals; I cannot see a change in power structures being caused by tweeting @corporatemediaperson.

What I have seen is that when any organization of individual actually does threaten power, they get killed or jailed or isolated, usually with a character assassination as well if they are famous.

Ponn

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I know the PR is the face of the company, but I blame it more on CDP (the parent company) than CDPR. It might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part? Yeah, maybe. But I really don't think they represent the people working on the game.
If they don’t represent CDPR, when are they going to speak up and say something about these multiple instances? Surely the people working on the game shouldn’t feel afraid of retaliation for saying they support the Transgender community and denounce Transphobia.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at their post and their non-apology response, it really does look like some over over there looks at what hashtags are trending, says "ooh this one sounds neat and we can make a pun on it," and then makes a post to promote their business, all without clicking on the hashtag to see what it is or what it represents.

It's not malicious in any way and I believe them when they say they didn't mean to offend anyone, but you would think that someone working in their SOCIAL MEDIA department would understand in 2018 what hashtags are used for and how they serve as a vehicle to bring awareness to an idea or issue. It's just utterly ignorant.

I ain't mad at them, just very disappointed, especially since they are repeat offenders in this arena.
I doubt we can give them the benefit of the doubt for ignorance when this is their third time doing so.

People were making the same arguments for the second tweet; "Oh but they might not know what that meme means and how it could offend someone"
Yeah right.

At this point it is malicious. There is no way in hell they used this hashtag without knowing the context behind it.

Tayaya

Oct 31, 2017
Your first two paragraphs are exactly how most people would react after the first offence...

...but then your third paragraph points out that we are now in fact dealing with repeat offences, for the same thing.

Do you see the problem?
Yes I absolutely see the problem. That's why I said it's utterly ignorant and that I am disappointed in them. I can be disappointed without also needing to be angry at them.

It is absolutely malicious to take a movement about something so utterly serious and to turn it into an advertisement for video games, while saying "How's that for using a hashtag?"
Malicious implies that they did that intentionally. I honestly believe that there was no intent there. I think they just have an utter lack of awareness and used the hashtag because it sounds, on the surface, like something that goes hand in hand with preserving old games. I can understand how they came to take to the action that they did. Doesn't mean I don't think it was fucking stupid of them. Knowing that they are in a part of the world that is not necessarily in tune with American political movements outside of those published in international news makes it plausible that they had no clue. Hell I live here and I had no clue about the movement before this thread, and I even have multiple transgender friends, several gay friends, and several that are still struggling to find their own identities. The difference is that I clicked on the tag and educated myself on it, which they simply did not do.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Cyberpunk "assume my gender" post was outright offensive. If this wasn't sitting in the wake of that one, this would be a little less of a big deal. This case though is an example of someone that should have known to do their homework first and still didn't, which makes me think they're never going to learn.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
ok CDPR, do the right thing and can the guy. If you truly do not think the way your community manager does, remove them, and replace them with someone who does not make fun of entire groups of people.

And anyone defending this, shame on you.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I absolutely see the problem. That's why I said it's utterly ignorant and that I am disappointed in them. I can be disappointed without also needing to be angry at them.

Malicious implies that they did that intentionally. I honestly believe that there was no intent there. I think they just have an utter lack of awareness and used the hashtag because it sounds, on the surface, like something that goes hand in hand with preserving old games. I can understand how they came to take to the action that they did. Doesn't mean I don't think it was fucking stupid of them. Knowing that they are in a part of the world that is not necessarily in tune with American political movements outside of those published in international news makes it plausible that they had no clue. Hell I live here and I had no clue about the movement before this thread, and I even have multiple transgender friends, several gay friends, and several that are still struggling to find their own identities. The difference is that I clicked on the tag and educated myself on it, which they simply did not do.
The second line of that tweets makes it very obvious that it was intentional.

Aug 29, 2018
Oh nooooooooo I can't post about a video game on one website such censorship
I would stand behind the decision to ban an OP for the game personally (not demanding it, but I get it). Also think some folks on here are very greatly over estimating how important resetera is for word of mouth and general publicity though. Twitch, youtube, larger gaming outlets, etc....just have more of an impact, Reseteras impact wouldn't be a blip on CDPR radar more then likely

Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it though like wtf, fuck you CDPR fire this asshole that non apology doesn't even work when you take the second part of the tweet into consideration. Like really disappointing stuff

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I like you CDPR, but you really need to fire those dumbasses who handle your social media accounts, make public announcement and properly apologise, seriously.
Seriously how was he not fired after the second time? Even if you don't personally see the issue keeping someone around as a social media person who generates negative attention is idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.