• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon, even she thought that was funny.
I've actually never thought of it in a negative light myself until a few days ago. I was watching through Portlandia and the Louie CK skit came on and I thought about how he did the whole whipping his dick out and jacking it thing, and I went "Hey, actually..." and thought about that bit from Parks & Rec. I know she said she laughed and everyone thought it was hilarious but it does surprise me that I've never seen anyone call him out about it. If they hadn't been such good sports about it he could have been fired, any one of the cast or crew could have nailed him for indecent exposure or something, etc.

But that's honestly the only questionable thing I can think of relating to the guy. I have a big ol man crush on him so I hope he's not actually a piece of shit but some of his tweets have made me wonder if he's actually kind of a turd.

Edit: Oh that's right he follows some alt-right twitter accounts too, god dammit Chris

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Now all we need is find out The Rock, aka the other person Era really wants to "cancel", also went to this church to really get this thread going. Have he and Pratt ever been in something together? Need that so you can get posts about how the movie they were in was shit and they've been saying it all.

Ignore all the other celebrities and athletes that go there though, not time to cancel them......yet.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Chris Pratt is that dude who will say the most neutral thing about a conversation because he knows if he's truthful he'll get some serious side eyes.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, most churches tend to be anti gay, because, you know the bible. There are churches that are welcoming, but the majority aren't.

Most Christians ignore a hell of a lot from the old testament because it's outdated or no longer the norms. Things from haircuts to eating pork. For churches that are inclusive of LGBTQ people, the condemnations of homosexuality are simply another part of the books that aren't relevant anymore.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Selena Gomez had been a huge advocate of lgbtq rights -- so, to suggest that every member of a huge organization has monolithic views and behaviors is ludicrous. I dunno where Chris Pratt stands on these things, but connecting one to the original isn't an automatic thing.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
You are correct, Hillsong is a brand, a HUGE brand with celebrities. Pratt going to Hillsong is the least surprising thing because most famous Christians go there.

He is not a "milkshake duck" because he goes to a mega-popular celebrity church.

This feels like a "non story".

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Most Christians ignore a hell of a lot from the old testament because it's outdated or no longer the norms. Things from haircuts to eating pork. For churches that are inclusive of LGBTQ people, the condemnations of homosexuality are simply another part of the books that aren't relevant anymore.
Not relevant of course in this day, but still apart of because you cant redact it. You can ignore that part but dosnt make it absent from the overall religion and teachings.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I have stark ideological differences with some of my best friends. But they've always been kind and supporting to myself and my family. Am I supposed to judge them based on which side of an arbitrary line they stand?
If you go to a club for bigots, then I'm absolutely going to think you're a bigot. It's not an unfair judgement in the least.

Edit: Whether or not this accurately describes Pratt or not, I don't know. I'm not clear if he's going to the specific pastor named, or what. But the idea that who someone keeps company with isn't worth taking into account is ridiculous.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It is. Hillsong as a brand is non-controversial, though the New York pastor is a complete bigot.

People wanna take Pratt down because he's a high value target.
Oh yeah, that's totally what's going on. You figured out the conspiracy. Or ya know, a person with a questionable history does another questionable thing? Yeah, Selena Gomez goes there but is she following Candace Owen or the other things Pratt does? hmmmmmmm

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
He can say he doesn't support that shit

Sure, but then everyone would say he is trying to save face, and bring up how didn't return a library book in the 3rd grade.

It's outrage first, demand an apology second, and then maybe half the people stick around to hear that persons side of the story afterwards.

Shit, it's not like this hasen't happened in the Rock & Randy Pitchford threads in the last week.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Jesus Christ. Hillsong? Fucking hell Pratt. Why would you do this to us. There are so God damn many churches out there

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is this thread from the same posters that tried to get people mad at him in the marriage thread but had to slink off in defeat, now trying it again from a new angle?

Jesus the rush to "cancel" people is insane these days.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
People go to a church and care about what their pastor says not what the history of the org.

These are good to bring to light but I judge people's reactions more than the fact they were a part of the church.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Not relevant but still apart of. You can ignore that part but dosnt make it absent from the overall religion and teachings.

I mean, sure if you're looking for a reason to hate them. "I can't believe your ancient belief has that part that you no longer acknowledge" doesn't pack much punch though. I don't think Christianity is going completely away any time soon, but as an agnostic I'd prefer we give a break to the ones that realize that some of those old teachings don't have a place in the modern church.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, that's totally what's going on. You figured out the conspiracy. Or ya know, a person with a questionable history does another questionable thing? Yeah, Selena Gomez goes there but is she following Candace Owen or the other things Pratt does? hmmmmmmm

It's not a conspiracy, it's out there in the open. People are constantly trying to "cancel" celebrities.

Him going to one branch of a church that has a controversial pastor in a completely different city is not "a questionable thing". If it were in any way questionable you wouldn't see other celebrities going there. This is grasping at straws to bring down a dude people see as a right-wing celebrity.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Remember on Doughboys when Mitch told a story about the Parks and Rec set where Chris Pratt made fun of Mitch for being excited about the new Doritos Loco Tacos at Taco Bell. Adam Scott was supportive of Mitch. Adam Scott should be Star Lord.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
no difference from scientology.

Any church where they want you to tithe and their leaders are living these jet-setting lives is pretty much certainly a cult/scam.

Nov 20, 2017
It's frankly beyond belief that we've got people handwaving this away because Religion

Like, you do realise that he sincerely believes what this church teaches? More than possibly anything else?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a conspiracy, it's out there in the open. People are constantly trying to "cancel" celebrities.

Him going to one branch of a church that has a controversial pastor in a completely different city is not "a questionable thing". If it were in any way questionable you wouldn't see other celebrities going there.
Oh yeah, cancelling celebrities. Yep. OK.

Conveniently forgetting his history. Oh well.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Y'all are reading too much into this IMO. Pretty sure most "tolerant" churches are the exception. It'd be pretty hard to be a church attending christian and have to worry about to worry about which ones aren't bigoted. You either have to give up your faith, travel an impractical distance to go to a good church or do what most morally upstanding religious individuals do which is pick and choose what parts to follow and ignore the toxic portions.

While not christian, a large portion of my family is part of the lgbtq+ community and are muslim. They all choose the 1st or 3rd option.

If there is anyone to be upset at itd be the church staff that actually did the fucked up shit right? Not beiber or gomez or pratt lol. Like am i trippin or what? Church partakes in civil right abuse and the church goers are getting flack?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's frankly beyond belief that we've got people handwaving this away because Religion

Like, you do realise that he sincerely believes what this church teaches? More than possibly anything else?

The actual church he goes to might not teach these things, as I'm sure he goes to one in California, not New York. I'd say it's likely that Pratt (and the other mentioned celebs) don't even know about any of these things.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you people are talking like he actually selected this church because their history of child molestation and ex-gay therapy.

._.

Oct 27, 2017
Selena Gomez had been a huge advocate of lgbtq rights -- so, to suggest that every member of a huge organization has monolithic views and behaviors is ludicrous. I dunno where Chris Pratt stands on these things, but connecting one to the original isn't an automatic thing.

It is on Reset, people are on stanby with pitchforks.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't this be the case with every celebrity who is a practicing catholic?

Well, the Pope is notoriously anti-gay when he wants to be, and likes to fly to Africa and tell them not to use contraception, so if anyone ever goes to see the Pope in Italy, by association, they must also be anti-gay and pro-aids. The Catholic Church also likes to cover up paedophilia, so you know, every Catholic must take the blame for that as well.

Religion, how does it work?

Well, it's full of hypocrisy and as always when it comes to individual religious people you really have to find out what they're thinking to know best. Last time I checked we couldn't read minds, so, maybe internet warriors should cool off the "I know everything!" before they actually have tangible or more substantial evidence to go on. Especially if it's going to be used to judge someone and proclaim you now know they are a "certified piece of shit".

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
That's a yikes, but I question if this is an unforced error of him and his team not doing their due diligence on the church or a purposeful decision to ignore common sense, decency, and tolerance.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
don't know exactly where you compartmentalize Leviticus, but godspeed.... keep doing it.
It was instructions on how a nomadic tribe in the wilderness could survive as a nomadic tribe in the wilderness. There's plenty in it we don't listen to and I don't see why the 'how to not give the entire tribe gonorrhea' rules should be any different

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The thirst the "take down" Chris Pratt because he must be a secret alt-right bigot is real.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
ok no

are you people serious

this thread is in desperate need of a lock
tell me what the difference is? It's a celeb-focused religion making its leaders rich with 10% tithes. Everything is about money in the end no matter how you dress it up.

And I'm a lapsed-ass Catholic, so don't me thinking you can out-christen me or some bullshit

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
If you go to a club for bigots, then I'm absolutely going to think you're a bigot. It's not an unfair judgement in the least.

Edit: Whether or not this accurately describes Pratt or not, I don't know. I'm not clear if he's going to the specific pastor named, or what. But the idea that who someone keeps company with isn't worth taking into account is ridiculous.
It's an extremely slippery slope to try and walk.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, sure if you're looking for a reason to hate them. "I can't believe your ancient belief has that part that you no longer acknowledge" doesn't pack much punch though. I don't think Christianity is going completely away any time soon, but as an agnostic I'd prefer we give a break to the ones that realize that some of those old teachings don't have a place in the modern church.
I dont understand what you mean. KJV or New World Bible, it dosnt matter. Those old old teachings is the religion itself. It is its foundation. Anything new added or changed from it is considered not accurate? It is looked down upon to choose what part of it to practice as the religion itself calls for complete and unwavering faith. Is this not true?

This is how I understand world religions like Islam, buddhist, and such.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Look at all the "Era standing by with pitchforks" dudes. You can tell they were just waiting for the first opportunity to say it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a yikes, but I question if this is an unforced error of him and his team not doing their due diligence on the church or a purposeful decision to ignore common sense, decency, and tolerance.

It's actually just bad reporting, because the branch Pratt goes to is not the branch lead by the outspoken bigot or the branch that had the child abuse controversy.

Hillsong is just a brand.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Are we doing full circle here? How is this different than conservatives freaking out about what church Obama attended? Or did we already forget it?

Churches mostly suck, not sure what's the story here.

Status
Not open for further replies.