• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RecklessNeedyCaudata-size_restricted.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty obvious he could do it.

It's not a hard accent lol.

It's a directorial choice. I still can't believe don't get it. People want nuance with Mario64 level voicework?

Mario will probably have the most lines in this movie and you want that grating accent for every line? NO.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder how long it will take for people to use AI to replace his voice in the movie with a fake version of Charles Martinet.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean dude is a trained actor. I don't think it was ever a question to if he could do a more accurate voice .

Jun 20, 2021

It's a directorial choice. I still can't believe don't get it. People want nuance with Mario64 level voice work?

Mario will probably have the most lines in this movie and you want that grating accents for every line? NO.
Do people not realise just HOW annoying that would be for a 100 minutes?

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
The reason Chris Pratt is doing a Chris Pratt voice is because Chris Pratt himself is the selling point and they want someone to see the ad and go "Oh wow, that's Chris Pratt"

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It's a directorial choice. I still can't believe don't get it. People want nuance with Mario64 level voicework?

Mario will probably have the most lines in this movie and you want that grating accent for every line? NO.

I mean dude is a trained actor. I don't think it was ever a question to if he could do a more accurate voice .

The reason Chris Pratt is doing a Chris Pratt voice is because Chris Pratt himself is the selling point and they want someone to see the ad and go "Oh wow, that's Chris Pratt"

Yeah, Voice Direction is a thing. If these big budget studios wanted actual character voices, they would be hiring professional voice actors, but part of going after those big Celebrity actors is with the intention of having that reconizable voice.

Same reason Seth Rogen is just playing himself as Donkey Kong from the clips we've seen.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's be real. He's going to do that voice at some point. Maybe Mario will get hit in the nuts and it'll be a gag.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they do, because that seemed like the VERY obvious reason why they didn't go with the game voice. Even the times we've heard Mario talking for an extended period of time, like I think Martinet at E3 or something, it was grating

people watch spongebob and the minions and are somehow ok
Spongebob's voice is not similar whatsoever. It's a normal, albeit goofy, voice. Mario's voice was decided on at a time when only small sound bytes for technologically feasible so we only heard it in small doses

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if he was gonna do an accurate Mario voice the whole movie they might as well have casted Martinet.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

Perfection in art should challenge the viewer.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone can imitate Martinet's grating, annoying-ass Mario voice to be honest.

Pratt's Mario voice in the actual movie has always sounded perfectly fine to me

edit: edited for clarity

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's great, but it's understandable why he's not playing the character with this voice for the whole movie. You just can't do that; it would get annoying at the third sentence. That voice is good for snippets used here and there, such as contextually when you're playing a video game. The voice doesn't work in a feature movie where Mario needs to have regular conversations.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
To be fair, it makes me more excited for the movie that Anya Taylor-Joy is in it. I'm a big fan ... and perhaps dumb.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is a separate conversation of if Chris Pratt was the most inspired choice in the world, but I definitely am on the side of listening to Martinet's Mario voice actually carry on conversations for 90 minutes would have been an absolute nightmare.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Not according to the internet!

They want that lol.

There is multiple videos of Mario's VA doing long bits of dialogue and even reading a whole book as Mario. It sounds terrible. Mario's voice is for short bits and couple words at most, not really something you want to listen to for hours
There is a flavor middle ground between eating a strawberry and drinking strawberry La Croix

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017

Any moron can imitate Martinet's grating, idiotic Mario voice to be honest.

Pratt's Mario voice in the actual movie has always sounded perfectly fine to me

aid.png

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I wanna hear all of your Mario voice impressions

and then I want everyone to play The Joker on screen with all the lipsmacking

winner gets a copy of battleborn