• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99% sure there's gonna be a voice gag in the movie where Mario gets something stuck in his throat and talks like that briefly.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Mario is a franchise that doesn't particularly benefit from having famous VA's in the cast. Like are there really going to be a bunch of people who recognize Chris Pratt, but have never heard of Mario?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Of course he could've done that. But he didn't for the same reason they didn't ask Charles Martinet to do it: it's not a voice suited to fully acted dialogue for an entire movie.

(And before people jump on that, yes, Martinet can do other voices. But if he's going to do a different voice then it doesn't matter if it's him doing it or not.)

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is the only place that discusses this stuff. In real life you're 100% certain to hear people say "Wouldn't it be funny if Mario cussed?".. no one cares about his voice, they just want him to say "Shit" and "Fuck". They don't even care what he sounds like.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't like Chris Pratt as a person. I don't care if he can do the voice or doesn't do the voice I just don't like seeing or hearing that jerk.

CapMaster

Banned
Mar 4, 2023
They should have found a middle ground. Sure, his dumb one liners can't hold a whole movie, but Mario sounding just like an average American is weird as hell.

That's exactly what he was before they ruined him with Charles Martinet's impression of a guy on a pizza box

latest

01-intro.jpg

vAOywbiNMP8LuPvM6NM9zNxrsv8.jpg

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Mario will probably have the most lines in this movie and you want that grating accent for every line? NO.
And do people want to be taken out of the movie whenever they hear Mario talk like Chris Pratt every line? NO.
Besides, all the other foreign region actors are putting on an Italian Mario accent, so why not the English version too?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
And do people want to be taken out of the movie whenever they hear Mario talk like Chris Pratt every line? NO.
Besides, all the other foreign region actors are putting on an Italian Mario accent, so why not the English version too?
Literally no one except nerds in places like this will be taken out of the movie because of this.

CapMaster

Banned
Mar 4, 2023

Because it's an awful, grating voice that doesn't fit a middle aged man from Brooklyn. It was done as a novelty in the first place.

They should have abandoned the Martinet voice in like 1999, he sounds like a racist joke from a 25 year old simpsons episode.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I feel like Mario is a franchise that doesn't particularly benefit from having famous VA's in the cast. Like are there really going to be a bunch of people who recognize Chris Pratt, but have never heard of Mario?
The point of the casting isn't that executives think the name Chris Pratt will convince people to see it on its own, or that Mario needs someone recognizable attached. The only reason this thread even exists is because Chris Pratt is so big that he creates press every time he opens his mouth, and that press is getting people to talk about the movie. If the voice of Mario wasn't a big celeb, no one would care about the five thousand interviews they do on the press tour promoting the movie and it wouldn't generate constant engagement.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I don't like Chris Pratt but his Mario voice sounds great to me. I think he was cast entirely on the back of the Lego movie since it proved his voice could carry a movie. I don't think name recognition was a big part of it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The point of the casting isn't that executives think the name Chris Pratt will convince people to see it on its own, or that Mario needs someone recognizable attached. The only reason this thread even exists is because Chris Pratt is so big that he creates press every time he opens his mouth, and that press is getting people to talk about the movie. If the voice of Mario wasn't a big celeb, no one would care about the five thousand interviews they do on the press tour promoting the movie and it wouldn't generate constant engagement.
Yep. A no name would be there generating zero buzz next to Charlie Day and whoever else.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, but would she watch an animated movie because it has a VA she recognizes?
This movie probably cost at least $100m to make (I see a budget listed at around $50m for this but there is absolutely zero chance that is correct -- animated movies are very, very expensive due to the time involved to create them, let alone the performance costs). Studios want to have noteworthy celebrities doing the voices because there are huge press tours required for blockbuster films.

Martinet has done some stuff before around E3 and things like that, but mostly you can't throw some voice actor with minimal camera training that no one knows on Kimmel or The One Show and expect them to kill, repeatedly. They're going around the world for 6 weeks talking about this every day and night, multiple times a day. They have to be charismatic and ready for it and if they're not in front of the camera all the time, they're not going to be.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I don't think martinet's version works for a movie but at the same time I feel so, so bad for him. From what was alluded by Tara Strong, Martinet was not in a good place for awhile

Nov 21, 2017
Imma be straight up, any critiscm or eye-rolling I've done at Chris Pratt as Mario is primarily because I just don't like the guy lol. I never wanted to listen to the actual Mario voice throughout the movie.

I also just rather they hire professional voice actors for these big budget animated movies. You are gonna get the best results that way. But they want stars for the marketing potential. And these famous actors are mostly just gonna sound like themselves

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I also just rather they hire professional voice actors for these big budget animated movies. You are gonna get the best results that way. But they want stars for the marketing potential. And these famous actors are mostly just gonna sound like themselves
So Chris Pratt then. Two Lego movies, Onward, and and handful of misc. credits. Fair not to like him but he's spent plenty of time in the voice recording booth.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Any moron can imitate Martinet's grating, idiotic Mario voice to be honest.

Pratt's Mario voice in the actual movie has always sounded perfectly fine to me

Wow, dude, really? Honestly, the vitriol is really unnecessary, and mirrors the childish behavior of people ragging on the movie before they heard Pratt's performance.

it needs to be restated that Charles doesn't just do Mario. He's an extremely accomplished voice actor with a tremendous range. with even adequate voice direction (certainly what Pratt has gotten here), he could do an excellent job with expanding and interpreting the character. Up until now he hasn't really had that opportunity with the kinds of media Mario has been in.

Edit: this has been posted several times before as one example, and he's got an extensive resume including movies and TV. In short, to say he'd be incapable of a good performance based on the few games you've played is really short sighted.

View: https://youtu.be/XpgLDjLwego

Last edited:

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
So Chris Pratt then. Two Lego movies, Onward, and and handful of misc. credits. Fair not to like him but he's spent plenty of time in the voice recording booth.
Plus, for the most part animation has moved away from stunt casting for voice roles for the past decade. Most voice roles are either great choices or at least I know why they were chosen for the most part. Voice directors definitely are the big unsung heroes in all this.

That being said, like it was said up above, my gripes with the cast mainly fall on Pratt because of the actor more than acting and Seth Rogan because the guy really operates on one gear and I really never saw DK with a Seth Rogan voice. His casting as Bebop in the new TMNT is at least better. Rest of the cast seems spot on with a big shout out to Jack Black killing it.

As far as Charles, I am sure he would do a bang up job if he got the chance but sadly when it comes to leading roles production wants to entice butts in seats and Pratt will always draw interest to wider audiences and that is a sad reality now a days. The silver lining is with casting now a days they are finding actors to match the range of the OG VA's it seems (see Sonic) and it opens up the rest of the cast to shine in other roles (see Tails).

Last edited:

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I don't think martinet's version works for a movie but at the same time I feel so, so bad for him. From what was alluded by Tara Strong, Martinet was not in a good place for awhile
Oof, you just reminded me of this. Yeah, as much as I am excited to see this movie, I'm really hoping things are still good between him and Nintendo.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I never believed that the actual voice acting was the impetus for the casting here. Whether or not Chris Pratt is able to do a Mario impression doesn't change much, unless you're running off the impression that Chris Pratt being able to change his voice is a magical thing that only he and not professional voice actors like Charles Martinet are able to do.

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
I could hear a bit of Italian American kinda accent in his voice in all the trailers. I was never really annoyed by it.

I just don't like Chris Pratt, so I felt no need to come to his defense over him not using a pitch perfect voice.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, dude, really? Honestly, the vitriol is really unnecessary, and mirrors the childish behavior of people ragging on the movie before they heard Pratt's performance.

it needs to be restated that Charles doesn't just do Mario. He's an extremely accomplished voice actor with a tremendous range. with even adequate voice direction (certainly what Pratt has gotten here), he could do an excellent job with expanding and interpreting the character. Up until now he hasn't really had that opportunity with the kinds of media Mario has been in.

Edit: this has been posted several times before as one example, and he's got an extensive resume including movies and TV. In short, to say he'd be incapable of a good performance based on the few games you've played is really short sighted.

I just realized it sounds like I'm insulting Martinet lol, I just meant it's a rather easily imitable voice and that anyone can do it. Pratt isn't doing anything special here.

I do find his Mario voice awful to hear outside of the minimal sound bites that show up in games. I'll admit I do get get annoyed with people demanding that Mario sounds like that in a 90-minute narrative-driven movie. It couldn't be anything other than unbearable.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I really hate how everyone is downplaying Martinet's voice work, the guy lives and breathes Mario and has done a wide range of voice roles. He could absolutely pull of a feature length Mario role without it coming off as grating, acting like he's some random nobody that plays a talentless role anyone could do is really disrespectful.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

I'm sure this is something everyone's known for over a decade but that's pretty damn cool. Never knew he did that voice.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's pretty obvious he could do it.

It's not a hard accent lol.

It's a directorial choice. I still can't believe don't get it. People want nuance with Mario64 level voicework?

Mario will probably have the most lines in this movie and you want that grating accent for every line? NO.
Exactly.

The director didn't want the high pitch voice so Chris Pratt did something in between his own voice leave a Mario accent.

People really don't understand how much a director can influence a performance.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I really hate how everyone is downplaying Martinet's voice work, the guy lives and breathes Mario and has done a wide range of voice roles. He could absolutely pull of a feature length Mario role without it coming off as grating, acting like he's some random nobody that plays a talentless role anyone could do is really disrespectful.
^^^^^^So much this.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
People were defending him like he is a God though...

He is supposed to be voicing several characters in the game. For a video game voice actor I feel like that is pretty neat.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
All these folks talking about how Mario's game voice would be terrible for a full length film

Me sitting here just wanting it to be his voice from the cartoon or hell even live action super show

Anything but the shit we're getting, sorry

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty obvious he could do it.

It's not a hard accent lol.

It's a directorial choice. I still can't believe don't get it. People want nuance with Mario64 level voicework?

Everyone on the planet knows what Mario sounds like. My two kids' (14 and 7) first reaction to the trailer was "Why doesn't that sound like Mario?"

I'm not saying using Martinet/'s voice isn't a tough nut to crack, but it feels like they should have cracked it if they wanted to make the film. Like, if they can't figure out how to make a Legend of Zelda movie where Link is silent, they shouldn't make a Legend of Zelda movie at all.