• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I would pay big money if everyone talked normally, even Luigi, but Mario just replies with his high pitched "OOKIE DOOKIE" and "YAHOOO".

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone on the planet knows what Mario sounds like. My two kids' (14 and 7) first reaction to the trailer was "Why doesn't that sound like Mario?"

I'm not saying using Martinet/'s voice isn't a tough nut to crack, but it feels like they should have cracked it if they wanted to make the film. Like, if they can't figure out how to make a Legend of Zelda movie where Link is silent, they shouldn't make a Legend of Zelda movie at all.
The box office money that'll rake it in will say otherwise. Your kids will enjoy the movie (if it's a solid movie in the first place) just fine. The idea that you can't give Link a voice, and therefore a personality, is just laughable. Like, what are you saying? Half Life gets greenlit. Internet fans outraged that so and so actor for Gordon Freeman has speaking lines!

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I mean if he was gonna do an accurate Mario voice the whole movie they might as well have casted Martinet.
But if they wanted someone to just do a generic voice with virtually no character they might as well have casted any number of actors who could have done it. Maybe that's what they did. Maybe they pulled Chris Pratt's name out of a hat that included Bradley Cooper, Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Elijah Wood, Tobey McGuire, etc.

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Pratt's salary is basically part of the marketing budget. They probably had a list of A-List actors, maybe some lesser known ones too, did some calculations or put it into an all knowing algorithm, and it spit out his name where paying him X amount will guarantee Y amount for best investment. Just how movies are, especially animated ones.

I'm just very happy we have some amazing main cast choices in Charlie Day and Jack Black, plus Keegan-Michael sounds great. Even Seth Rogen might be a surprise hit, like I can't imagine anyone would have guessed him.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Chris Pratt's salary is basically part of the marketing budget. They probably had a list of A-List actors, maybe some lesser known ones too, did some calculations or put it into an all knowing algorithm, and it spit out his name where paying him X amount will guarantee Y amount for best investment. Just how movies are, especially animated ones.

I'm just very happy we have some amazing main cast choices in Charlie Day and Jack Black, plus Keegan-Michael sounds great. Even Seth Rogen might be a surprise hit, like I can't imagine anyone would have guessed him.
Yeah, bingo.

You wouldn't have the cast showing up on as many talk shows etc as they have been if it wasn't a bunch of celebrities. There's a reason studios keep doing this.

Heck you wouldn't have that accapella thing going somewhat viral if it was Martinez and co.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah, bingo.

You wouldn't have the cast showing up on as many talk shows etc as they have been if it wasn't a bunch of celebrities. There's a reason studios keep doing this.

Heck you wouldn't have that accapella thing going somewhat viral if it was Martinez and co.

We wouldn't have this thread! :P

Pasting clips from talk shows on social media is part of the marketing, after all.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
...does... anyone actually do that?
Do what, sell movies based on an actor or go see a movie cause an actor is in it?

The answer is yes to both. People will go see something cause "oh this person was good in this other show or movie so I want to see more of him." Were you not aware of this?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Do what, sell movies based on an actor or go see a movie cause an actor is in it?

The answer is yes to both. People will go see something cause "oh this person was good in this other show or movie so I want to see more of him." Were you not aware of this?
Not really, no. I don't know anyone who sees so and so voices a character and it determines whether they want to watch the movie or not

Maybe for non-animated, but for animated movies? Star studded voice casts always felt like something an exec thought sold tickets but there hadn't really been anything proving it

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how everyone is downplaying Martinet's voice work, the guy lives and breathes Mario and has done a wide range of voice roles. He could absolutely pull of a feature length Mario role without it coming off as grating, acting like he's some random nobody that plays a talentless role anyone could do is really disrespectful.
And to cape for Chris Pratt of all people.

Gotta dunk on nerds on the internet lest I, a person posting on a video game forum to discuss a children's movie about a video game by vehemently shit talking a man who has done nothing but bring joy to others in his professional career, be perceived as one!

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's with all these strawman that people who oppose the casting for Mario and want Martinet for the role want Mario to sound like the videogame.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I do like how we're all talking about a voice more in line with the games as if it's some hypothetical that we can only dream about when basically every non-English dub is doing a voice more in line with the games.

Nov 21, 2017
So Chris Pratt then. Two Lego movies, Onward, and and handful of misc. credits. Fair not to like him but he's spent plenty of time in the voice recording booth.

Sure he's done voice work, but has he ever done any voice work where he wasn't just using his normal voice? Has he ever done any voice work using an accent? I'm not even sure he's done accent work in his live action career. These are honest questions because I do not know for sure, but I don't recall anything.

In my mind Pratt is a movie star like the Rock. He's not really acting like a different person or using different voices in his career as far as I can tell. But yes he can emote fine. Whether in live action or a voice over.

So when I say I wish they went with a professional voice actor, I guess more what I meant to say is they went with someone with more range and a better track record of embodying different characters, especially through their voice. I feel like actors that only do voice acting are much better at this because their lively-hood is based on being able to pull off many character with just their voice.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019

Bitch, why didn't you at least try this instead? I was really annoyed by a line in the newest tv spot where he's clearly capable of a closer take but is just refusing to.

and if you had to something different, the Mario show voice is good.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nails on a chalkboard bad if that video game Mario voice was used for actual dialogue

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm guessing they'll just say that's how he sounds when he's excited.

Still I'm sure Martinet could hold a movie if it's written for him and his take

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'm completely fine with the idea of not fully doing The Mario Voice here, but you kind of need to scale back on the "wahoo"s and whatnot if you're going that route. Really strange. Kind of fascinated to see what it's like in the actual movie.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The reason Chris Pratt is doing a Chris Pratt voice is because Chris Pratt himself is the selling point and they want someone to see the ad and go "Oh wow, that's Chris Pratt"

Stars barely sell movie these days let alone Chris Pratt selling a Mario movie. Mario is going to sell the Mario movie.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Chris Pratt's Mario tells me I'll go to hell when I die after doing drugs then all is forgiven

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Stars barely sell movie these days let alone Chris Pratt selling a Mario movie. Mario is going to sell the Mario movie.
Sure, of course it's Mario selling it at the end of the day. But there must be a reason you get (and presumably pay out the ass for) Pratt, Day, Black, etc, though. None of these people do this for a living. As much as I like Charlie Day, I could see any number of people playing Luigi just fine. He, like Black...and I suppose Pratt to the general public are the real-world draw until you get to opening night.

A voice actor a few hundred people know of isn't gonna pull numbers on Kimmel.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real, if Pratt did that for an entire movie, there'd be all kinds of complaints from Italian Americans and Mario/Nintendo themselves would be deleted. /s jic

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
there are people in this world that like the voice overs in the GBA remakes.

THIS. Christ, I remember the complaints about them adding the voices to SM2, 3, and World.

LUCKY

Let's be real, if Pratt did that for an entire movie, there'd be all kinds of complaints from Italian Americans and Mario/Nintendo themselves would be deleted.

It's probably already bordering on offensive anyway. I haven't heard any complaints from Italian Americans about the games but I wouldn't be shocked.

I mean I remember when Coppola did Godfather he insisted that they don't do the Chef Boyardee stereotype voice that's been mocking Italians in cinema forever. And here's Mario doing it a few decades later.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why Chris Pratt isn't the perfect for Mario, except if y'all wanted some American Italian caricature for 90 minutes. Like, let's be honest. The character of Mario is about as generic as can be. He's just an avatar jumping around that happens to have a fun design and be in fantastic games. So, the generic voice actor Chris Pratt is actually a perfect fit. And he's actually pretty good at that kinda thing. He's perfect in Lego.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably already bordering on offensive anyway. I haven't heard any complaints from Italian Americans about the games but I wouldn't be shocked.

I mean I remember when Coppola did Godfather he insisted that they don't do the Chef Boyardee stereotype voice that's been mocking Italians in cinema forever. And here's Mario doing it a few decades later.

Vinny from Giantbomb/Nextlander has complained about it a few times.

www.youtube.com

Vinny Thinks Luigi Might Be Racist Caricature

The other bombarderos think it's alright because he's Italian. Link To The Full Episode: Giant Bombcast 04-30-2013http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bom...

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Im ready for the nintendo cinematic universe.

Phase 1:
Super Mario Bros
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Smash Bros

Phase 2:
Kirby
Zelda 2
Metroid
Donkey Kong 2
Super Mario Bros 3

Etcetera...

hire me. Ill be the kevin feige of this universe.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Mario is a franchise that doesn't particularly benefit from having famous VA's in the cast. Like are there really going to be a bunch of people who recognize Chris Pratt, but have never heard of Mario?

We (along with along with millions of much less informed viewers) are only watching this clip because it's Chris Pratt on a talk show. And now we're all thinking and talking the Mario movie. That doesn't happen with voice actor who has no star power.

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty obvious he could do it.

It's not a hard accent lol.

It's a directorial choice. I still can't believe don't get it. People want nuance with Mario64 level voicework?

Mario will probably have the most lines in this movie and you want that grating accent for every line? NO.

Eh

It's not the worst idea

youtu.be

(3DS) Mario Explains the Nintendo 3DS - How it work? Yes? Simples!

Confused about the 3DS? Nintendo's most famous mascot Mario explains all in a five minute tutorial. Simples!When not pouncing on Bowser's tail, cruising the ...
Lotta people forgot this video, i think

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Eh

It's not the worst idea

youtu.be

(3DS) Mario Explains the Nintendo 3DS - How it work? Yes? Simples!

Confused about the 3DS? Nintendo's most famous mascot Mario explains all in a five minute tutorial. Simples!When not pouncing on Bowser's tail, cruising the ...
Lotta people forgot this video, i think

This video was becoming annoying not even a minute in. The voice is just not good for anything more than a quick catch phrase. Sounds like a bad accent Dana Carvey Would do in Masters of Disguise.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I still say they should have cast Denzel as Mario. Guy could go full Training Day. Goombas start swarming: "oh you mothafuckas…"

Real talk though, just wait until the movie comes out. Then if you hate it, complain away. But everyone is complaining because a total of like 5 lines we've heard so far don't sound like a video game and ultimately that might not even matter. Just, be cool my babies. Be cool!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Eh... it's still not great imo

anyway i'm glad for once i'll see the movie in french instead of original voices, lol (still gonna watch it in english with home release just for jack black and so on)