• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Louis also bombed for twenty years before he got to that point. Comedy doesn't magically come out perfect. Yeah people improve and can find the funny faster but nobody is infallible and nobody has a 100% hit rate with fresh jokes.
There is a difference between a joke that still needs work and this sexist drivel that doesn't even exist in the same universe as actual jokes do.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is legitimate context that helps put this joke into some kind of difference perspective, please let me know.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Rock's getting old. There's mad jokes you could make about the situation with the sexual assault allegation flood happening now that would go over a lot better lol

According to the article even Jeff Ross was like "nah b"

I guess if he's going through/just went through a divorce that would turn up the bitterness tho

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For starters, comedians need to learn self-restraint. They have a ton of influence on how people see the world. So they need to make sure their joke isn't reinforcing what they're trying to mock. Comedians need to take responsibility for what they say. "It's just a joke" shouldn't be some magical shield that lets them get away with saying whatever they want.
They're comedians. They literally are just telling jokes. You're free to take them to task if you hate the joke. And as Louis CK said, people who are easily outraged should stay the hell out of the comedy clubs, and comedians who react like petulant babies to negative feedback should stop reading the feedback.

Sounds like Rock's getting old. There's mad jokes you could make about the situation with the sexual assault allegation flood happening now that would go over a lot better lol

According to the article even Jeff Ross was like "nah b"

I guess if he's going through/just went through a divorce that would turn up the bitterness tho

Very possible. Watching Chappelle's two new specials at times made me think his prime is deep in the rearview mirror. Could be the same for Rock. Willing to wait to see his special first before I criticize his material.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your joke shouldn't sound like something you might find being said earnestly on r/redpill
Yeah, that's the thing. When you're joke is just something millions of people legitimately and earnestly believe, and will tell such as much right to your face, is it really a joke anymore? "Poe's Law" humor--just regurgitating stuff people legitimately believe, but you don't, and because you're the one saying it it suddenly becomes the joke even thought that's all that's different--really doesn't work for me, because it completely depends on the audience actually "getting it" and not taking it the wrong way to reinforce their existing beliefs, which is something that's completely outside of your control. Just don't go there to begin with. No reason to.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I would quote both. I'm fine with material that can push boundaries and be offensive and even make someone uncomfortable. But calling sexually abused people out for making it up for cash is just gross.
The Page Six article has two indirect quotes from Rock. We don't know how long his set was , if ""they cry rape because they want money," was a terrible punch line or an outrageous opening statement that he would subvert throughout the bit. All we know is that a majority of the 150 person audience didn't like the jokes.

Rocks going through a divorce right now so maybe he's on some fuck all women MRA type stuff and in that case fuck him. But going by the lack of information in the article its hard to say and comedy is all about context.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They're comedians. They literally are just telling jokes. You're free to take them to task if you hate the joke. And as Louis CK said, people who are easily outraged should stay the hell out of the comedy clubs, and comedians who react like petulant babies to negative feedback should stop reading the feedback.
What if I did stand-up and had a joke "I won't even hire black people because they'll just steal my HDTV and bring their gang wars with them to my front door."

HAHA, just a joke, why are you getting mad?!?!?! PC POLICE! OUTRAGE CULTURE.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your joke shouldn't sound like something you might find being said earnestly on r/redpill

It's like the concept of irony is completely foreign to you.

Have you considered that maybe the point of the joke was to make fun of the disproportionate paranoia men have of false rape accusations?

Dave Chappelle had a bit about male rape that sounds awful and insensitive at first - until he hits the audience with the punchline, and makes them realise the fact they laughed at the notion of men being raped as funny is both awful and insensitive.

Comedy is hard. If it wasn't more people would do it. Even the best comedians still miss the mark from time to time and bomb regularly. Sometimes jokes age terribly, like the Chris Rock one you're so incessantly referring to, and sometimes they seem prescient. That's just the nature of the art form.

Stop trying to legislate comedy and find another soapbox to stand on. Criticise the joke, but don't make it more than what it is - a, from the sounds of it, shitty joke.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
If he was going to joke about it, he should've made himself the subject, not women.

Don't misunderstand me--its not something we should be joking about, but it'd be easier to overlook if he said something like, "Damn, now I'm replaying back years of memories, trying to figure out if I 'accidentally' sexually harrased someone," or something like that. He could've used it as an attack on men in Hollywood and how they feign ignorance when this shit keeps coming to light.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the thing. When you're joke is just something millions of people legitimately and earnestly believe, and will tell such as much right to your face, is it really a joke anymore? "Poe's Law" humor--just regurgitating stuff people legitimately believe, but you don't, and because you're the one saying it it suddenly becomes the joke even thought that's all that's different--really doesn't work for me, because it completely depends on the audience actually "getting it" and not taking it the wrong way to reinforce their existing beliefs, which is something that's completely outside of your control. Just don't go there to begin with. No reason to.

Which again Chris Rock learned 20 years ago or so when he saw that racists were using his skit to justify why being racist was ok.... and that skit had a lot more thought and care in it than this one.

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His joke wasn't this one time this happened, it was never hiring a woman ever because she'll probably cry rape for my cash.... That's universalizing something that marginally happens.

"They cry rape because they want money"... speaking to all women that might come in contact with him... this isn't speaking to a tough situation it's acting like this is the common situation.

The joke is that he's so worried about it happening that's he over-compensating by getting rid of all the women in his life on the off-chance it does

If you believe his joke was that it was 100% likely to happen if he worked with a single woman, I think you have missed the joke.

It's a very rare thing. So rare that this joke just rings hollow. Show me all the recent Hollywood accusations so far that have been proven to be false?

It's much easier to prove something happened then to prove it didn't. I could tell you I've never been to the beach, but how could I ever prove that so sufficiently to you that you'd believe it's true.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if I did stand-up and had a joke "I won't even hire black people because they'll just steal my HDTV and bring their gang wars with them to my front door."

HAHA, just a joke, why are you getting mad?!?!?! PC POLICE! OUTRAGE CULTURE.

Why do people always go to this particular well?

For the record, that can be funny. It just depends on, you know, those crucial ingredients in comedy called context and delivery.

Watch the Chappelle Show. It was filled to the brim with racist jokes and stereotypes. But there was a point to it. And it was funny.

Unlike you making up some random shit about black people to prove a fucking point like so many people do when they're offended and can't articulate why.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The Page Six article has two indirect quotes from Rock. We don't know how long his set was , if ""they cry rape because they want money," was a terrible punch line or an outrageous opening statement that he would subvert throughout the bit. All we know is that a majority of the 150 person audience didn't like the jokes.

Rocks going through a divorce right now so maybe he's on some fuck all women MRA type stuff and in that case fuck him. But going by the lack of information in the article its hard to say and comedy is all about context.

All context is there in the article, people boo'd, walked out, next to no one laughed and Jeff Ross said this after "Now that we got that Chris Rock kid out of the way . . .,"

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which again Chris Rock learned 20 years ago or so when he saw that racists were using his skit to justify why being racist was ok.... and that skit had a lot more thought and care in it than this one.
It really sounds like you're confusing Chappelle for Rock. Either that or google can't find the skit Rock has pulled. But then again, Rock isn't the kind of comedian that recycles his old material, so all that old stuff stays in the past.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the jokes didn't work and he was not received well by the crowd. I don't think the joke sounds funny based on this PageSix article. The joke is actually really cruel to me no matter when he was telling these jokes.

I also think there is a weird tendency to think of comedians as sages or political critics professing their actual beliefs on various subjects when really most comedians are stringing together fake anecdotes and topical stories to get laughs and punch lines in.

It's about the funny more than it is about anything else. Comedians strike out a lot in clubs and toss stuff out to the point where they have a good set of material they can use in any city in America and kill. They create broad, less controversial, palatable material.

Material they are proud to tape and produce in the form of a film.

Generally, the press likes to report on these stories with a light application of context. They will say the jokes didn't go over well, but then quote the comedian as if they are a politician talking about policy reform.

In many ways watching comedy is like watching an actor on stage. Actors dealing in smut and bullshit should be called out on it, but I think this issue is more complex than comedians should never tell jokes like this or here are the topics we should not discuss.

It would be like saying, "No one should ever make jokes about Dementia that is at the expense of the victim of Dementia in a comedy club." You are free to have that opinion. I feel like there is a lot of bullying in comedy sets, but there is also a lot of catharsis and tension breaking.

Some comedians also tell jokes about their own pain and process said pain in different ways than everyone else would like to process it. Comedy is a weird thing that can definitely piss people off. Some people are ready to make jokes at funerals, other people are not.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It really sounds like you're confusing Chappelle for Rock. Either that or google can't find the skit Rock has pulled. But then again, Rock isn't the kind of comedian that recycles his old material, so all that old stuff stays in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niggas_vs._Black_People

The controversy caused by Rock's constant use of the word "nigga" led him to remove the piece from his act. In a 2005 60 Minutes interview, Rock said: "By the way, I've never done that joke again, ever, and I probably never will. 'Cos some people that were racist thought they had license to say nigger. So, I'm done with that routine."[2]

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

I think being partly offensive is at the heart of a lot of comedy (obviously not all though). It's really nothing new. Chris Rock has also done tons of slavery jokes in the past too.

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately." - George Carlin

"I don't call success making 100% of the crowd laugh. I want 50% laughing and the other 50 horrified!" - Patrice O'Neal

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people always go to this particular well?

For the record, that can be funny. It just depends on, you know, those crucial ingredients in comedy called context and delivery.

Watch the Chappelle Show. It was filled to the brim with racist jokes and stereotypes. By there was a point to it. And it was funny.

Unlike you making up some random shit about black people to prove a fucking point like so many people do when they're offended and can't articulate why.
It's not random shit. That "joke" is the exact same as Chris Rock's joke, except I replaced horrible sexism with shitty racism. Both make for equally shitty jokes that can barely be called such and any comedian worth a damn shouldn't be going for such low hanging fruits that parrot MRA bullet points.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not random shit. That "joke" is the exact same as Chris Rock's joke, except I replaced horrible sexism with shitty racism. Both make for equally shitty jokes that can barely be called such and any comedian worth a damn shouldn't be going for such low hanging fruits that parrot MRA bullet points.
Except Chris has done a variation of the joke you made up and it was hilarious.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
There is a difference between a joke that still needs work and this sexist drivel that doesn't even exist in the same universe as actual jokes do.

and a bunch of Louis' stuff sounds like he's a straight up pedophile until it comes into form. You weren't there, you didn't hear the joke verbatim and you don't know what it's going to come out as. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Chris Rock knows how to develop a joke better than you do.

And again, none of this was meant for any of us. Just for that audience. For all we know Chris could agree it's terrible and have completely cut it. Criticize when it hits Netflix, not from second hand accounts from a club where shit is being tested.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending his joke in the current state its in. It was an awful joke to me. I'm defending his right to mine whatever topic he feels like mining, and then people can judge how successful he was when he finally releases his special. He's had way more hits than misses, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He can. He did. We can boo. We did.

If he puts out a special, I will probably watch it.

Nothing of that changes the fact that he repeated what victims hear for real while seeking justice as a joke and it's quite obvious how that is not the same as Louis CK's saying out of the blue something we all agree is absurd, at the expense of the absurdity of the sentence. And thus of people who say it for real.

Chris, here, is on the side of people who say it for real.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He can. He did. We can boo. We did.

If he puts out a special, I will probably watch it.

Nothing of that changes the fact that he repeated what victims hear for real while seeking justice as a joke and it's quite obvious how that is not the same as Louis CK's saying out of the blue something we all agree is absurd, at the expense of the absurdity of the sentence. And thus of people who say it for real.

Chris, here, is on the side of people who say it for real.
And if the joke Chris ends up at is funny, Louis CK will laugh his ass off at it. Louis doesn't sit around talking down to people who get outraged easily at rape jokes. He listens to their criticism and some of it affects him, and then as he said, "I'm still going to laugh at rape jokes and tell them if they're funny."

It must've been much more than just a "variation" of my joke if it was hilarious.

Well there is the huge difference of Chris being a talented comedian.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Louis CK's "Let's all agree to just kill the Jews", it was the Jews. And somehow still funny. I'm sure a lot of people didnt find it funny though, and that's comedy. And that's OK.

What's your point, exactly? How does this in any way, shape, or form mean that comedians should be shielded from criticism? You know, the thing that drives a lot of discussion across all forms of media and entertainment.

The question of "is it funny?" has a number of possible dimensions, including the vantage point the comedian is operating from, and the level of nuance or sophistication with which they manage to tackle a given subject. Perhaps some additional context would change things, but I'm finding it difficult to find humor in the idea that women "cry rape" for money. Comedy relates to cultural assumptions as much as anything else, and in this case, it seems to me unlocking the humor in that joke requires operating with a particular set of those assumptions - assumptions that have proven to be as deeply wrong as they have deeply damaging.

Nothing, even comedy, exists in a vacuum. Realize that it's okay - as in, not actually antithetical to comedy - for people to treat the jokes of comedians as something worth examining on multiple levels. The issue with Chris Rock's joke isn't that it was dark, but that it seems to have been incredibly misguided.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Chris Rock has made those jokes work.

You're not a comedian, you're not trying to be funny, you're not trying to make a point, or inform or enlighten - your feelings are hurt because one person said something mean so now you're saying it should be okay to be mean to others.

That's what I get from your argument.

You want to talk MRA bullet points? Yours sounds like an extreme one.

"Hey if we're all equal now that means we can hit women, equal lefts and rights, amirite?"

That's what that line of thinking boils down.

Separate your emotions from this and simply recognise you didn't like the joke, and that's okay.

Others might like it, and that's okay too.

Last edited:

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's your point, exactly? How does this in any way, shape, or form mean that comedians should be shielded from criticism? You know, the thing that drives a lot of discussion across all forms of media and entertainment.

The question of "is it funny?" has a number of possible dimensions, including the vantage point the comedian is operating from, and the level of nuance or sophistication with which they manage to tackle a given subject. Perhaps some additional context would change things, but I'm finding it difficult to find humor in the idea that women "cry rape" for money. Comedy relates to cultural assumptions as much as anything else, and in this case, it seems to me unlocking the humor in that joke requires operating with a particular set of those assumptions - assumptions that have proven to be as deeply wrong as they have deeply damaging.

Nothing, even comedy, exists in a vacuum. Realize that it's okay - as in, not actually antithetical to comedy - for people to treat the jokes of comedians as something worth examining on multiple levels. The issue with Chris Rock's joke isn't that it was dark, but that it seems to have been incredibly misguided.
Criticize all you want. People always have criticized comedians, and hopefully they always will, which will mean comedians are still pushing past accepted boundaries. I'm not willing to criticize Rock until I actually hear the entire joke, in his voice, with his delivery, in its final form. Some people that did hear it first hand thought it failed. Sounds like he needs to work on it or cut it. Only problem I had with the story is that he had people removed from his show.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
rock's tried & ran with stuff in the past that he himself said he kinda wishes he hadn't...i wanna say he's also been part of the crowd thinking comedians in small venues should have a safe space to try out questionable material.

saw dude last year & still wanna give him the benefit of the doubt, myself...it sucks, but part of me feels chapelle is more likely to walk into some shit these days. there's a line when shit feel s a bit mean and i thought he broke kayfabe & started crossing it

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the discord, I'd ask it here.

Does anyone here feel like they need to hear the joke or are they sure enough about what was said?

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't decide without hearing the joke in context. Absurd to do otherwise. I can't even think of a comedian I like who hasn't made a joke about a sensitive subject. Out of context, you can say "X comedian is anti-LGBT/women/men/America/etc." about damn near every big name act.

Also, if this was a club set, that's where comedians go to test out bits they haven't fully worked out yet. I'm very liberal, but people that are over sensitive about issues like this make our voices seem annoying and weaker to others for when we need to go after the big fish (Trump, Weinstein, racism, dangerous sexism in school/workplace.)

Barry Bonds

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the concept of irony is completely foreign to you.

Have you considered that maybe the point of the joke was to make fun of the disproportionate paranoia men have of false rape accusations?

Dave Chappelle had a bit about male rape that sounds awful and insensitive at first - until he hits the audience with the punchline, and makes them realise the fact they laughed at the notion of men being raped as funny is both awful and insensitive.

Comedy is hard. If it wasn't more people would do it. Even the best comedians still miss the mark from time to time and bomb regularly. Sometimes jokes age terribly, like the Chris Rock one you're so incessantly referring to, and sometimes they seem prescient. That's just the nature of the art form.

Stop trying to legislate comedy and find another soapbox to stand on. Criticise the joke, but don't make it more than what it is - a, from the sounds of it, shitty joke.
Nah the standup comedy world needs a serious change of mentality. Too many comics think that being edgy and offensive is more important than being funny.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
And if the joke Chris ends up at is funny, Louis CK will laugh his ass off at it. Louis doesn't sit around talking down to people who get outraged easily at rape jokes. He listens to their criticism and some of it affects him, and then as he said, "I'm still going to laugh at rape jokes and tell them if they're funny."

Well there is the huge difference of Chris being a talented comedian.

I can't read Louis mind or speak through him. I was only pointing out the difference in the examples.

I would argue that while the butt of the joke is saying raped women are liars and shouln't be trusted, it won't ever be funny. Not to the specific audience of women who likely sufffered abuse themselves and their loved ones who care about them.

He would either need to twist the joke to change the one who is being mocked, thus proving our point. Or perform it to an audience that believes raped women are all liars, thus proving our point.

Jokes that mock the victims are inherently less funny unless you feel "they had it coming".

Jokes work or not for reasons. They are not magic that fizzle or don't. Jokes that mock innocent victims are objectively less funny.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Not funny at all.
Lately i've discovered CK Louis who makes me laugh very much and i enjoy listening to him while optimizing code or soldering PCBs.
How does ResetEra feel about Louis? i mean sometimes he says really creepy things..
CK's standup run from 2007-2014 was phenomenal and his show Louie is amazing too. I've either gotten a little bored of his humor or he's slipping but my enjoyment has waned a little. As far as whether he's sexist, there are rumors online about his behavior but they're at the level of "Kurt Cobain was Murdered" at the moment, with no actual accusation being levied at him, or a woman - anonymous or not - to believe. I think his material is pretty harmless and typically anything bad he has to say about a woman is about a specific woman - usually his ex-wife.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
rock's tried & ran with stuff in the past that he himself said he kinda wishes he hadn't...i wanna say he's also been part of the crowd thinking comedians in small venues should have a safe space to try out questionable material.

saw dude last year & still wanna give him the benefit of the doubt, myself...it sucks, but part of me feels chapelle is more likely to walk into some shit these days. there's a line when shit feel s a bit mean and i thought he broke kayfabe & started crossing it
Chappelle is still great at race-related humor. It's when he ventures into LGBTQ territory that he shows how unequipped he is to do it well. Those were the parts of his two specials that I found to be cringeworthy. No unique perspective like what he brings to race. It just sounded mean, and the fact that he work-shopped those bits and felt like they were fitting for his specials made me question whether or not he still has it.

I can't read Louis mind or speak through him. I was only pointing out the difference in the examples.

I would argue that while the butt of the joke is saying raped women are liars and shouln't be trusted, it won't ever be funny. Not to the specific audience of women who likely sufffered abuse themselves and their loved ones who care about them.

He would either need to twist the joke to change the one who is being mocked, thus proving our point. Or perform it to an audience that believes raped women are all liars, thus proving our point.

Jokes that mock the victims are inherently less funny unless you feel "they had it coming".

Jokes work or not for reasons. They are not magic that fizzle or don't. Jokes that mock innocent victims are objectively less funny.

You dont need to read his mind. Just watch the Daily Show interview in which he stated all I just repeated. He's quite clear about how he feels.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
All context is there in the article, people boo'd, walked out, next to no one laughed and Jeff Ross said this after "Now that we got that Chris Rock kid out of the way . . .,"

Yes. Jeff Ross ,a professional roastmaster, making a joke after Rock bombed is all the context I need.

In the age of Yondr where no one can record full sets means context is important. I saw Hannibal Buress bomb at a night club doing a bit mocking Philip Seymour Hoffman's death. The crowd started booing immediately and he spent 15 of his 20 minutes dealing with hecklers and trying to work through the new material. A few months later I heard him do the same joke and it went well.

If Page Six wrote an article about that incident it would boil down to Hannibal making light of someones death, the audience booing and the comedian after him making a joke to get the audience back on his/her side.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the point being made though, there is a real chance that people who have done no wrong could be caught up in this mess and lumped in with real rapists and harassers.
The odds are so low for that, to be honest, it seems more likely that I will win the lottery.

Oct 28, 2017
Shit even Men do the shit Chris Rock is talking about.

They even do it to WOMEN of all things lol. Yo the lengths people will go to protect their jobs are ridiculous

Cant trust anybody you work with these days and its a crying shame

The odds are so low for that, to be honest, it seems more likely that I will win the lottery.
The odds arent low at all in business.

People will say anything about anyone if its advancing their own personal interests or preventing them from getting fired.

The sooner y'all learn that the better.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The nature of standup is often to highlight serious topics in humorous ways but that doesn't negate the seriousness of said topic, rather provides another way to approach it. In this case his bit sounds like shit and paints him as an insensitive asshole.

He was punching down on victims of rape. Fuck him. He should know better than most that comedy is rooted in truth viewed at an askew angle, and the idea that most women cry rape for money is a flat out lie.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit even Men do the shit Chris Rock is talking about.

They even do it to WOMEN of all things lol. Yo the lengths people will go to protect their jobs are ridiculous

Cant trust anybody you work with these days and its a crying shame

The odds arent low at all in business.

People will say anything about anyone if its advancing their own personal interests or preventing them from getting fired.

The sooner y'all learn that the better.

So true. I've experienced this

Status
Not open for further replies.