mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
People that are negative on this news don't have an EV. Tesla's network and its connector is just miles better than CCS... This will spur all other charging networks to also adopt NACS. It's over in America at this point, and thank goodness for that. This is only good for the EV industry and consumers.
Why would I love this if I owned a Tesla and now have to deal with more cars charging slower at Tesla superchargers?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Why would I love this if I owned a Tesla and now have to deal with more cars charging slower at Tesla superchargers?
I think this will lead to an explosion of new superchargers being built. Instead of Ford & GM pushing Electrify America, they'll be pushing these.

I think there definitely will be friction for the first year or two, but ideally, folks should be charging at home and not relying on the network as their only source of charging.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

Tesla has been accelerating the speed with which they build new supercharger sites, it's up to about two per day now and still increasing.

With the federal money to further fund the network buildout coupled NACS becoming the US standard, it's likely we are about to see Tesla go into overdrive building out new supercharger sites.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Standards XKCD. This is going to make widespread adoption more confusing now there will be 2 standards in the US. Neither of which are used globally.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
\
I think this will lead to an explosion of new superchargers being built. Instead of Ford & GM pushing Electrify America, they'll be pushing these.

I hate Elon and Tesla, but this is my hope. One of the biggest hang ups of electric vehicle adoption is fear of being stranded without access to chargers like you have with traditional gas pumps. Ideal situation would be they can start putting up the "standard" in every gas station without worrying about it.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So this is something other manufacturers could arrange with an adapter and a software update then as well, yeah?
Sure. Presumably to access the Supercharger network people would either need an account on the Tesla app or their car's manufacturer will need to integrate with their existing payment system like Ford is doing. But I've heard of unlicensed Tesla to CCS adapters that work without approval from either end (or even UL, lol).

Standards XKCD. This is going to make widespread adoption more confusing now there will be 2 standards in the US. Neither of which are used globally.
The previous situation was there were two standards*, neither of which were used globally. European and afaik Chinese CCS are different from U.S. CCS. Don't worry, I suspect CCS in the U.S. won't last long at this rate.

*Yes, NACS used to be proprietary, but with the vast majority of EVs that can use DC fast chargers being Teslas and the majority of chargers being Tesla Superchargers, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider it a standard in this context.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
It always seemed insane to me that J1772 compatibility was a priority with CCS. Not only did it make the plug gigantic and unwieldy, it didn't matter! EV adoption is still in its infancy and was certainly moreso at the time of CCS' adoption. The number of J1772 chargers was a tiny fraction of what the eventual charging infrastructure will be. So crazy to me we wasted years with CCS

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

There won't be two standards. CCS1 will be forced to be phased out in the US. Ford is the No. 2 EV maker in the US, followed by GM in third place. Both of those companies are scaling up volume significantly in the coming year. There won't be enough CCS1 cars around to justify further build out of CCS chargers. Over the next year, I suspect you will see EV Charging station providers like EVgo, Chargepoint, Rivian, and maybe Electrify America begrudgingly start to retrofit old chargers and new build outs will use NACS. CCS cars will get adapters, and that will be it.

It's too much of a competitive disadvantage to not adapt NACS at this point when the top three players are all using the same standard.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
so Ford and GM are in… two American companies.

People are talking about a North American standard, but will foreign companies like Hyaundai, Honda, Toyota, etc follow suit?

Hotdog Hideout

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 1, 2023
Ford's VP of Global EV Programs speaking to Sandy Munro about why they made the change to NACS for those curious, and yeah its all down to reliability, appeal to customers and the supercharger network being so widespread/solid/easy to use.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAH2teu85II&t=1811s

People are talking about a North American standard, but will foreign companies like Hyaundai, Honda, Toyota, etc follow suit?

If they want to sell EVs in the US yeah, if you buy a non NACS car at this point you're making a foolish mistake.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017

I think Hyundai will move over, they would be silly not to if they don't want to end up like Nissan. Honda and Toyota aren't fully into EVs yet.

Oct 28, 2017
I just leased an EV6 so I'm interested to see what's going to happen. I'm actually glad I went with leasing instead of buying because in 3 years who knows how this all shakes out. Ultimately, I don't care what kind of cable goes into my car.

One question I do have is, are they going to redesign these charging stations? The charge port is in a different location on all these cars. The Tesla superchargers currently outfitted with the magic dock are already seeing people struggle to get the cable to reach non-Tesla cars or the cars have to be parked in such a way that they take up two spots.

Hotdog Hideout

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 1, 2023
I just leased an EV6 so I'm interested to see what's going to happen. I'm actually glad I went with leasing instead of buying because in 3 years who knows how this all shakes out. Ultimately, I don't care what kind of cable goes into my car.

One question I do have is, are they going to redesign these charging stations? The charge port is in a different location on all these cars. The Tesla superchargers currently outfitted with the magic dock are already seeing people struggle to get the cable to reach non-Tesla cars or the cars have to be parked in such a way that they take up two spots.
Tesla's V4 charger already has a edit: longer cable.
www.notateslaapp.com

Tesla V4 Superchargers: Power, Design and Cable Length Revealed

The Tesla Supercharger V4, a significant upgrade in charging infrastructure, offers increased power output and an extended cable design, paving the way for futu
The cables at V4 Superchargers are also significantly longer than in previous generations. Tesla's previous Superchargers included fairly short cables that are about 6.5 feet (2m) long, but for V4 they've extended the length of the cables to almost 10 feet (3m) to make it easier to charge various types of vehicles.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'll wait until Technology Connections chimes in about this, because he seems to have an incredibly thorough and robust understanding of all of this stuff and makes excellent videos for us normies.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
As a Tesla owner, just music to my ears to see the Supercharging network grow. It's one of the initiatives that Tesla and Tesla alone has gotten right.

Hotdog Hideout

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 1, 2023
I'll wait until Technology Connections chimes in about this, because he seems to have an incredibly thorough and robust understanding of all of this stuff and makes excellent videos for us normies.
He left this pinned comment on his charging video:
Hello! There has been news. In May 2023, Ford signaled their intent to switch to Tesla's charging connector. I'm pinning this comment the day they announced it - assuming it happens, well then charging landscape will remain fractured but in a different way now. I'm disappointed with Ford but I can't really blame them given the CCS charging networks as of this writing. I can't predict whether other automakers makers will join them or not, nor do I want to - time will tell.
Strange for him to be disappointed in it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
He left this pinned comment on his charging video:

Strange for him to be disappointed in it.

I figured he would be. I think his stance has been that adoption of Tesla's chargers would only be a stopgap measure but ultimately further delay any efforts to get an open standard widely adopted and their issues fixed, but I'd need to rewatch his video(s) on it.

Hoping he releases a video about this explaining his position further and reiterating what he thinks would be the best approach.

Oct 31, 2017
Over in America at this point. My guess is Rivian and Lucid announce it soon (though I think Lucid is likely to go bankrupt). Hundai and Kia probably announce the same in a bit too. German and Japanese manufacturers will hold out for now.

Wonder how things will play out in the EU and Asia.

TSLA up to 234, was at ~160ish a little over a month ago. Hope y'all got in!

It's still a good time to buy TSLA and it's still down ~30-40% from its ATH.

Whoever is not buying and/or did not buy TSLA because they hate Elon is shooting themselves in the foot. This is not even close to its final form yet.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully it appears the "war" has been won and we can now have a standard charger.

Non-Tesla charging stations are so trash tier that I refused to consider any non-Tesla EV because of it. Tesla chargers are like apple products - they just work with no hassle.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Thanks GM as a Chevy BOLT EUV owner (just bough it this year), you cancel the entire line 8 months after I buy one and now you're switching to tesla chargers. Where does that leave me? I hope they offer like some sort of charging conversion kit if that's the case or at least some sort of adapter. :/

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
No but we only use one nozzle standard for the fuel

This was my takeaway too. I cannot stand Musk and wouldnt care if he vanished tomorrow, but this seems completely reasonable in terms of helping the growth of EV's. When we get one, it for fucking SURE wont be a Tesla, but the charging network across the country should benefit from this as a whole.

Hotdog Hideout

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 1, 2023
Whoever is not buying and/or did not buy TSLA because they hate Elon is shooting themselves in the foot. This is not even close to its final form yet.
Big time, Tesla is going to balloon to absurdly high levels on this news.

Massive news. Guessing in the coming days if not weeks we will see similar announcements for all NA based charging companies.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Alright if that is what it is, then that's great. Pick one standard and it seems to be Tesla.

Ship out the adapters, update the chargers, open up the access, and let's go.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Man, NACS is so much sleek than CCS.
Functionally it's the same, Tesla even uses CCS here in Europe, but it's so large...

Hotdog Hideout

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 1, 2023
Man, NACS is so much sleek than CCS.
Functionally it's the same, Tesla even uses CCS here in Europe, but it's so large...
European EVs got screwed over by the regulations unfortunately, I feel like it's too late to appeal it at this point too. Going from CCS to NACS was

chefs-kiss-emoji-1.jpg

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/-VBCpAHvOpQ

hmm, what was it I was concerned about? Oh right Tesla owning all the gas stations.

edit: Now that the Whitehouse has confirmed tax payer money will only be coming in as long as Tesla supports CCS. I do wonder how that will work, I want more transparency about that. And their future plans surrounding EV infrastructure.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
People that are negative on this news don't have an EV. Tesla's network and its connector is just miles better than CCS... This will spur all other charging networks to also adopt NACS. It's over in America at this point, and thank goodness for that. This is only good for the EV industry and consumers.

Im negative on these news simply because I feel Im being left behind as a customer by GM. Very much like the poster below.

Thanks GM as a Chevy BOLT EUV owner (just bough it this year), you cancel the entire line 8 months after I buy one and now you're switching to tesla chargers. Where does that leave me? I hope they offer like some sort of charging conversion kit if that's the case or at least some sort of adapter. :/

Adapters will be available for "A few hundred dollars". So I would expect to need to spend around 500$ or more when this change happens in the next few years.
I really hate all of GMs decisions this last year, I feel I took a bet on them and got bit in the butt. They were supposed to be leading the US market for accessible EVs but it's all going downhill.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
As long as this "standard" can allow easily allow more power in the future then it's fine by me. I rather have a crap ton of charging stations available by the time I buy an EV. My only concern is having to get another car or adapter because the NACS connector wasn't future proof enough.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
You would just need an adapter. I honestly don't see electrify America jumping over to the NACS wagon quickly, especially when they can't even get their chargers to work constantly for people currently using their CCS1 chargers me included. The Bolt line can only take in 50kw on a DC plug anyway, so you can use pretty much any DC chargers out there like at 7/11 shell, etc which all have ccs1

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Tesla use CCS charger in Europe?
Also, CCS2 in Europe vs CCS1. One of the big complaints about CCS1 is reliability of it due to its design. Its big and clunky and prone to sagging, whereas CCS2 slots in better.

We're fortunate to be able to charge our Model Y at home so increased traffic at superchargers generally won't affect me except for when we go on our longer road trips. But given it'll be two years before these other manufacturers have NACS actually integrated in their vehicles, that's a lot of time for more Supercharger stations to be built. And while I doubt we'll be buying a new car anytime soon, other manufacturers also having an NACS port makes their offerings more appealing to me given the issues with CCS1.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first comment, but when most manufacturers and charging networks switch over to NACS, this will likely change.

This is why Tesla developed it's Magic Dock for the V4 chargers, which are being deployed now. V4 complies with the Fed requirements and will charge any NACS or CCS car.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/wh...ral-dollars-long-they-include-ccs-2023-06-09/

White House says Tesla chargers available for federal dollars as long as they include CCS

Those new CCS dongles integrated into the tesla charging station will most likely be added to all tesla stations, but less and less drivers will use them when FORD and GM cars come out of factory with NACS plug.

www.youtube.com

Charging a non-Tesla at a Tesla Supercharger!

A Tesla, a Lucid and a Rivian walk in to a bar...Shot on iPhone 14 ProThat hoodie: http://shop.MKBHD.comhttps://www.youtube.com/@StateOfChargeWithTomMoloughney
[after this video, Tesla already responded with longer cables at CCS-equipped stations].

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Wonder how things will play out in the EU and Asia.
Most of the world is on CCS2 and Type 2 for AC (the same as Europe). These are not paper standards either--either the government mandates these kind of charging standards, or they are the most commonly deployed charging stations. Tesla cannot strong-arm most of these markets with de-facto dominance either. For most of Asia, Tesla is merely somewhat head of European and Chinese EVs--and behind when you compare Tesla to Type 2 or CCS2 cars.

There are some exceptions.
China: China uses its own GB/T standard, with one connector for AC and another for DC fast charging. They are changing the DC standard to ChadeMo. China has about 60% of the world's charging stations and 40% of the world's EVs. Tesla, while in the top 10, is nowhere near dominant, and it is being overtaken by domestic brands. It is not plausible for China to change to Tesla.

Japan: Japan uses Type 1 for AC and ChadeMo for DC. It might change, but given that ChadeMo has developed a joint standard for China and is developing one with India, they are certainly not abandoning their standards.

I would expect most of the world to be on CCS2, China to be on GB/T, and US to be on Tesla.

Last edited:

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
You would just need an adapter. I honestly don't see electrify America jumping over to the NACS wagon quickly, especially when they can't even get their chargers to work constantly for people currently using their CCS1 chargers me included. The Bolt line can only take in 50kw on a DC plug anyway, so you can use pretty much any DC chargers out there like at 7/11 shell, etc which all have ccs1

True I guess, but I still can't help feel I got the short end of things. (any good recommendations for an adaptor?). I do really Like my bolt just little bit disappointed with GM telling Chevy to discontinue them. :/