Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
No, not in residential but it is used in commercial and may potentially hamstring charging stations capabilities in the future. Hopefully not, but that is what it I gather from what I have read so far.

It's not going to affect anything, there are essentially zero cars sold in the US with a connector that can handle three phase along with zero single family houses wired up for it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to affect anything, there are essentially zero cars sold in the US with a connector that can handle three phase along with zero single family houses wired up for it.

My worry is about future proofing it. 3-phase charging would allow for significantly faster charging which is more important at charging stations than at home.

Last edited:

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Does this screw over current EVs like the Bolt EUV as well as those with Autel home chargers?

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the world is on CCS2 and Type 2 for AC (the same as Europe). These are not paper standards either--either the government mandates these kind of charging standards, or they are the most commonly deployed charging stations. Tesla cannot strong-arm most of these markets with de-facto dominance either. For most of Asia, Tesla is merely somewhat head of European and Chinese EVs--and behind when you compare Tesla to Type 2 or CCS2 cars.

There are some exceptions.
China: China uses its own GB/T standard, with one connector for AC and another for DC fast charging. They are changing the DC standard to ChadeMo. China has about 60% of the world's charging stations and 40% of the world's EVs. Tesla, while in the top 10, is nowhere near dominant, and it is being overtaken by domestic brands. It is not plausible for China to change to Tesla.

Japan: Japan uses Type 1 for AC and ChadeMo for DC. It might change, but given that ChadeMo has developed a joint standard for China and is developing one with India, they are certainly not abandoning their standards.

I would expect most of the world to be on CCS2, China to be on GB/T, and US to be on Tesla.

Reminds me a lot of the PAL vs NTSC vs SECAM thing back in the day.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
those stats aren't as black and white as they appear though - CCS almost as many as tesla albeit split more towards 50kw. And Tesla has had pretty much a 5 year + headstart
That wouldn't explain the 2022 numbers though. Unless you mean the majority of CCS being installed is sub-100kW, which is terrible.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean I can charge my Bolt at a Tesla charging station soon?
Depends on the type of charging station.
If it's one of the destination ones that are ac (hotels and the like) you can already do it with an adapter iirc.
If it's one of the supercharger ones, the rollout has started but who knows how much time until everything supports ccs.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
those stats aren't as black and white as they appear though - CCS almost as many as tesla albeit split more towards 50kw. And Tesla has had pretty much a 5 year + headstart
The stats on how many of those chargers will be working when you pull up to one also favors Tesla.

My worry is about future proofing it. 3-phase charging would allow for significantly faster charging which is more important at charging stations than at home.
Charging stations where speed is important should be using DC. 3-phase would really only be handy for destination charging at locations too small to justify a full DC fast charger, unless I'm completely misunderstanding the situation. A solid DC network and cars with adequate range to get around their local metro (commutes, shopping) should alliviate the need for fast destination charging though.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

As a prospective EV owner, chargers below 100 kw are of basically no importance to me. I want to be able to get from A to B in a reasonable timeframe and low voltage chargers don't help with that.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
50kw is probably too slow for road trips now, but they're great for shopping centers.

Yep there's definitely a place for slower charging. Would be nice to have more at hotels too.

Chargers like that won't make or break my buying decision though, whereas the availability of fast charging along long routes I routinely travel absolutely will.

Oct 25, 2017
The stats on how many of those chargers will be working when you pull up to one also favors Tesla.

Charging stations where speed is important should be using DC. 3-phase would really only be handy for destination charging at locations too small to justify a full DC fast charger, unless I'm completely misunderstanding the situation. A solid DC network and cars with adequate range to get around their local metro (commutes, shopping) should alliviate the need for fast destination charging though.

Gah. You are right. I was half asleep when I was reading up on 3-phase and misread that it was nearly as fast as DC charging. Would be better for destination charges but not a huge deal.

Coolness

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Blink & Chargepoint are now switching to NACS for their chargers going forward too:

www.reuters.com

Blink, ChargePoint to launch EV chargers with Tesla's charging connector

Electric vehicle charging equipment makers Blink Charging , ChargePoint and Tritium said on Monday they will offer chargers with Tesla's connector, as the standard Combined Charging System (CCS) connector falls out of favor with automakers.
I'm shocked Blink is even part of the conversation. All their charging stations that I know of have fallen into disrepair or replaced.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
April 30 (Reuters) - Elon Musk has dismissed two Tesla senior executives and plans to lay off hundreds more employees, frustrated by falling sales and the pace of job cuts so far, The Information reported on Tuesday, citing the CEO's email to senior managers.

Rebecca Tinucci, senior director of the electric vehicle maker's Supercharger business, and Daniel Ho, head of the new vehicles program, will leave on Tuesday morning, the report said.

Musk also plans to dismiss everyone working for Tinucci and Ho, including the roughly 500 employees who work in the Supercharger group, The Information said. It was not clear how many employees worked for Ho.

DETROIT, April 30 (Reuters) - Elon Musk's abrupt decision to lay off employees who ran Tesla's electric vehicle charging business blindsided automakers gearing up to equip new EVs for customers to use the Tesla Supercharger network, industry officials and analysts said on Tuesday.

For now, General Motors, Ford and other automakers which struck deals last year to give customers access to the network said they are not changing their plans.

Tesla's decision to open its network to rival EV manufacturers was hailed by U.S. President Joe Biden, and opened the door for Tesla to get federal subsidies to expand the reach of its North American Charging Standard (NACS) system.

Musk's decision to dismiss the head of the business, Rebecca Tinucci, and most or all of the staff that operated and maintained the system, according to two former employees and multiple postings on LinkedIn, left officials at automakers and Tesla suppliers uncertain about the future.

Tesla did not respond to requests for comment.

Musk subsequently said on X that the carmaker still plans to expand the Supercharger network, "just at a slower pace for new locations and more focus on 100% uptime and expansion of existing locations."

Andres Pinter, co-CEO of Bullet EV Charging Solutions, a supplier to the network, said, "As contractors for the Supercharger network, my team woke up to a sharp kick in the pants this morning."

"Tesla has already been awarded money under the federal government's NEVI program," he said, referring to the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure formula program to provide funding to states to deploy EV charging networks.

"There's no way Mr. Musk would walk away from effectively free money. It may be possible Mr. Musk will reconstitute the EV charger team in bigger, badder, more Muskian way."

GM and Ford, in separate statements, said they are not changing plans to equip their EVs with connectors that will allow drivers of Chevrolet, Cadillac or Ford brand EVs to recharge at Tesla stations.

"We have nothing new to announce regarding our plans," GM said. "We are continuing to monitor the situation regarding changes to the Supercharger team and the potential impacts with no further comments or updates at this time."