• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Seems to me to just want to ignore the fact she made a boatload of cash and got to introduce herself with his massive fan base. I don't think you can overlook how that song helped her career and fan base.
Oh, yeah, perhaps it's that. I was just reacting to you calling it a poor excuse, when directly says she's not offering it as an excuse. That's all I was saying.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
You kinda made TheGhost 's point there. She didn't have to say anything, because people who already made up their minds – like you – aren't gonna budge. Maybe some people on the fence decide differently but you really think it's going to move the needle? I don't.
I think a more genuine apology would certainly move people. I was expecting her to make a statement on how like many others, she felt that the music could remain separate from the art, the industry had forgiven him and I felt these instances were one off things. You know, her to take responsibility and talk about the culture of the music industry and why she was willing to forgive him and do the music. Instead we got an apology which was side stepped the fact that she knew what he was, and didn't care at the time.

She briefly touches on that, and then starts talking about her trauma when she wrote and recorded the song. Her support of R-Kelly and her ignoring of criticism crosses over with her own sexual abuse activism. She flat out sold out to get attention by doing a song with him. And then blames it on her trauma as the reason for her doing it. Now I don't see her trauma as a cop out per say, as I don't doubt she is making it up or that it wasn't a factor. She's not responsible for the trauma she went through, but by blaming the trauma, she is blaming an external cause as the thing that pushed her to do it. Nevermind once again, that the creation of the song is not the issue.

Oh, yeah, perhaps it's that. I was just reacting to you calling it a poor excuse, when directly says she's not offering it as an excuse. That's all I was saying.
Excuse, explanation, reason whatever. Ultimately the post seeks to explain why she did the things she did, but as I stated above it doesn't really do that, as there are serious gaps in the logic and time periods this went on. It doesn't seem genuine, and seems to more try to wash her hands of it than owe up and take responsibility.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've search that whole first page for whatever this thread mark thing is...

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
"have a talk with my younger self"

you know, the self that is a whopping 3 years younger than you are now

come on, Gaga

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Seems to me to just want to ignore the fact she made a boatload of cash and got to introduce herself with his massive fan base. I don't think you can overlook how that song helped her career and fan base.
Lol. Only someone who knows nothing about Gaga's career would make this claim. Artpop era and the song were flops.

Hops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain.
In her "apology", I don't understang when she says "when I was young". She was 27 years old when she did that song, that's not "when she was young".

Nov 13, 2017
"have a talk with my younger self"

you know, the self that is a whopping 3 years younger than you are now

come on, Gaga
The song was released in 2013, probably recorded the year before. That's 6-7 years ago. You're not the same person you are at 24 as you are at 30–especially if you're coping with the aftermath of sexual abuse and trying to make sense of it all.

As I mentioned before, no apology will ever be good enough for certain people.

She did the right thing.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Song is a banger, she should release an edited version that doesn't include him. Very good statement on her part.

Oct 25, 2017
She was a grown woman who, like everyone, knew about R.Kelly and didn't say shit until social media found a new topic (her thoughts on the matter) to talk about. Her dishonest, yet inoffensive, response allowed for a "yass Queen we stannn"-fest, instead of a real reflective conversation, like something we got from Chance the Rapper. Not saying this because I dislike Lady Gaga or would care if she didnt respond, but I wish we could get more celebs to have a real talk about stuff like this instead of worrying about their reputations/likes on Twitter, becuase it prevents their thousands of fans from thinking critically

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
A demon? No, a demon is the person raping people.

Jesus, could we not bring hyperbolic PopGAF-esque crap into a serious topic?
I kinda feel like we put labels on people from mostly our own morality code and upbringing.

What's the difference between say Chris brown and Rkelly? I'm sure they both have disrespected, mistreated, belittled, an sexually mistreated women in the thousands (Kelly more so of course). Chris browns are likely older women as well. Still, is he that much less of a "demon" because he isn't luring young girls and brainwashing them? I guess so, but he's still a bad guy IMO. Giving off terrible impressions to the black communities through his music, promoting drug use and degrading women in every song since his "nice guy double-mint" days.

Gaga says a lot of nice things, but her music and videos and stunts say something else. Some see it as self expression, I think she's just nasty and it's out of touch with my morality system. Maybe I wouldn't call her a demon because of what it implies, but the name Satan is called the father of the lie, and she's a liar at the very least lol. So yeah, I think ppl are just grossly offended by different things.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The song was released in 2013, probably recorded the year before. That's 6-7 years ago. You're not the same person you are at 24 as you are at 30–especially if you're coping with the aftermath of sexual abuse and trying to make sense of it all.

As I mentioned before, no apology will ever be good enough for certain people.

She did the right thing.
She has worked with him more recently than that. Also, her phrasing makes it seem like "I was just a naive kid" or something, which she definitely wasn't at the time. She's a very savvy person, so looking back and saying "oopsie! I was young(er)" isn't a good excuse

Obviously she did the right thing to apologize, and in the big scheme of things she said all the right things. But framing this as youthful ignorance or whatever is an odd digression.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on mobile but the thread title said she responded? I don't see anything passed the snl YouTube video in the op

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Celebrities rn: "Wait we've reached the point where supporting R. Kelly will do me more harm than benefit? Let me call my publicist."

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
she sounds like an opportunist to me, jumping at the chance to work with an obvious scumbag when it suited her, and condemns when it don't.

whatever.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the age or how long ago something happened has to do with anything. Whether the misjudgment took place years ago or yesterday, the fact is that people can change either as soon as something happens or a long time later after the realization sets in. I'm not even speaking to Gaga specifically, just people in general.

TheAnointed

Dec 7, 2018
I'm not really a fan of this "you must condemn this person" movement. Seems like bullying. I mean, if x doesn't explicitly condemn y, it doesn't mean x support y. Silence is not approval.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a good thing that Gaga apologized and removing the song from platforms is a good first step, but my opinion on anyone who worked with R. Kelly is the same as it was before the Surviving documentary: I don't buy your ignorance. The music industry needs to do more to reconcile their complicity.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
What? There are videos in the OP
Like others already mentioned, the official music video was never released, and hasn't been leaked...yet, which honestly surprises me. I remember vaguely the backlash and controversy around the song/video at the time. It kinda resurfaced couple months ago when Nick Minaj tweeted about it in whataboutism.

It is surprising she declined to comment when approached by the documentary people, not a good look, and her trying to pretend this was "so long ago" isn't gonna help.

Edit: also I must say her fans trying to excuse her because she's no the only one who collabed with him is not entirely valid. How many high profile musicians collabed with R Kelly as recently as 2014? Jen Hudson, Chris Brown, Bieber, Ty Dollar $ and Mariah Carey..and if Im not mistaken Gaga's the only one that was a single, which is why there was a backlash even back then.

Last edited:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a fan of this "you must condemn this person" movement. Seems like bullying. I mean, if x doesn't explicitly condemn y, it doesn't mean x support y. Silence is not approval.

Furthermore, she's been very vocal about having trauma post-assault and as someone who writes autobiographical songs, it's obvious that she was in a bad place mentally during the ARTPOP years. Condemning her, a rape survivor, for how she should have acted when she was in a dark place post-rape comes off as incredibly insensitive to me.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gaga is a well known fraud. It's something we've been talking about since she ignored the bad press that leaked bits of the DWUW video got in 2014, then went on to do a whole publicity tour on sexual assault in like 2016. She's a fake and a demon.

Let's not mention she has a long history with Terry Richardson (who she dresses up as in the above video) who is also a prolific pervert and sexual harasser.

Fuck her ENTIRE career and all that shitty music she made.

Jesus fucking Christ, a little over the top?

It is bullying. The point is to lord people's mistakes over them for all time to feel morally superior. No apology, no penance will ever be acceptable. It's a perfect intersection of pettiness, hypocrisy, and the ghoulish pleasure one feels when someone else is brought low.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Like others already mentioned, the official music video was never released, and hasn't been leaked...yet, which honestly surprises me. I remember vaguely the backlash and controversy around the song/video at the time. It kinda resurfaced couple months ago when Nick Minaj tweeted about it in whataboutism.

It is surprising she declined to comment when approached by the documentary people, not a good look, and her trying to pretend this was "so long ago" isn't gonna help.

Edit: also I must say her fans trying to excuse her because she's no the only one who collabed with him is not entirely valid. How many high profile musicians collabed with R Kelly as recently as 2014? Jen Hudson, Chris Brown, Bieber, Ty Dollar $ and Mariah Carey..and if Im not mistaken Gaga's the only one that was a single, which is why there was a backlash even back then.
Lady Gaga wanted one thing: to become really fucking famous. And sometimes selling your soul takes a wrong turn. The whole "i was in a bad spot in that period" is nonsense. Sure, you're embarrassed by your actions but you were exactly where you wanted to be, a few years ago.
She'll be fine though. I hope R. Kelly gets what he deserves.

Edit: just these leaks:

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, I'm still scratching my head on that. Nice apology and all, but it still doesn't explain why you didn't want to talk about R. Kelly earlier. It's only NOW she's talking negative about R. Kelly after the documentary was released. Until then she was hush-hush.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The statement seemed great until I got to "when I was young", lol.

Can't read her fa fa fa... (poker?) face.