• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

• Mary Jane

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Gwen Stacy

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Hope shoots Scott right in the face and he loses an eye.
Then he decides to take her "prisoner" in their "base"
A bar
Then an issue or so later they all decide to go out to fight some super villains and Hope decides to tag along and everyone is just ok with all this.

One issue all these people have the technovirus. Then a few issues later they're like "lol I'm fine"

It's just like Mad Libs X-Men is the basis for these stories. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
A lot of these points come from other things he's written.

I got problems with his UXM run and a lot of it stems from things he's written where those points are clearly established and then UXM does nothing with them.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Oh man, people were saying standoff and i was like "The fuck is standoff?"

Turns out Pleasant Hill isn't called pleasant Hill, it's called standoff

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Really enjoyed Justice League, Year of the Villain, and Deathstroke today. I think Snyder has done a good job building up to this Justice-Doom War. I just hope he can stick the landing.
Today's GL is too novel-like for my taste. I don't mind long paragraphs of text but it felt like I was reading a novel, not a comic, with the prose. Not to say I don't like reading novels, but the text doesn't complement the art well imo
I really didn't like that prose Batman issue Morrison tried but this time I felt more positive towards. I get that Morrison wants to experiment more with the medium but I don't really think adding more words to an issue improves it. Sharp was on fire artwise though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Uncanny Avengers count as X-men?

remender-banner-590x270.jpg

One day I'll stop being petty and give Rick Remender's indie comics a chance and probably really like them, but today is not that day.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Bendis run.

So did I for the most part, but in a "brain food" sort of way. Nowhere near the same league as Morrison or Whedon, only marginally better than Fraction, Brubaker, Gillen.

Edit: Uncanny Avengers is really good once you get past the first arc (and obviously don't read AXIS at the end). People rag on the "M-word" goof, but you really have no reason not to read UA, if you read and liked Uncanny X-Force.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So did I For the most part, but in a "brain food" sort of way. Nowhere near the same league as Morrison or Whedon, only marginally better than Fraction, Brubaker, Gillen.

No, of course not. And I can't say how much my opinion might change if we're purely talking story without the Bachalo art. I fucking love Bachalo.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did I For the most part, but in a "brain food" sort of way. Nowhere near the same league as Morrison or Whedon, only marginally better than Fraction, Brubaker, Gillen.

Morrison run was great in concept but I found the execution lacking (Riot at Xavier's is miraculously a top 10 X-Men story though), an Whedon's run was a nothingburger.

And Fraction? He had one of the worst runs on the series I'd ever seen and that's discounting the Greg Land art. Nothing but fights and Cyclops worship.

Not talking bout Remender's run but okay.

I just wanted an excuse to post that, ngl

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Those first few issues were rough man. Even as somebody who loved all of UA, i can admit that.
Oh for sure. But I dont think those issues in the first arc make the rest of the run bad because of them. The rest of the run is awesome with all of the Apocolypse Twins stuff.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Jamie Madrox is one of my favorite characters of all time. Rosenberg did a mini series of Multiple Man and it was just complete nonsense and bullshit. "Here's a Multiple Man that looks like Deadpool. Here's a Multiple Man that looks like Cable. lol"

He's a writer with absolutely nothing to say. He's like the guy from Catch Me If You Can if he wandered into Marvel's offices and pretended to be a comic book writer for as long as he can before someone catches him. There's no heart or soul to anything he writes. There's barely any spectacle at least. Its like my eyes move over the pages and then by the end of the issue I can't tell you anything that happened because it was just bland and pointless.

Someone posted an article (Sandfox?) a while back that Rosenberg was originally just going to kill off Madrox again at the end as a joke. Which somehow would've been preferable to what we have now.

We need some continuity nerd to use the "Madrox is actually a kind of mutant predecessor" thing in a book and save him. Layla also needs saving because her being okay with NuMadrox is weird as hell.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
You just reminded me that Layla got super aged to marry Jamie.

Fuck that plot line, like for real.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
AXIS had good tie-ins though.

The one I most remember is Inverted Doctor Doom deciding to bring Cassie Lang back to life because the Ant-Man ongoing was launching, and they didn't want Scott to be too different from the character audiences saw in the Ant-Man movie.

(I actually liked Spencer's Ant-Man run.)

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: do the Marvel/DC films or animations follow the comics like 80% ? Trying to work out whether there's any point getting comics like Age of Apocalypse.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: do the Marvel/DC films or animations follow the comics like 80% ? Trying to work out whether there's any point getting comics like Age of Apocalypse.

Adaptations tend not to do one-to-one mirrors of their source material, because what works in comics tends not to in film/television, and getting the same story again would be boring.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So they're different enough to justify going for the comics?

Sure, just dive in. We'd be happy to recommend some good starting points but generally speaking you just pick a series that interests you and go from there.

And if anyone here says "Batman: White Knight", run like hell.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, just dive in. We'd be happy to recommend some good starting points but generally speaking you just pick a series that interests you and go from there.

And if anyone here says "Batman: White Knight", run like hell.

Yeah, I read the synopsis for White Knight, and it's not my cup of tea lol.

What are you interested in? We could help you out.

I think I have nearly all the crossover events, so anything else lol. I know events like Civil War features at least one of the X-Men whereas the film didn't, so any of the Marvel stuff that have been made into films but couldn't have "x,y or z" in it due to rights etc, and are different enough from the films, e.g. if Age of Ultron is different enough etc.

AoA is awesome. The movie is literally nothing even remotely close to it lol. Hell, none of the X-Men films are even close to the comics they are based on.

Oh ok. I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga in the X-Men cartoon, and have heard loads of people saying that they're weary of the film due in June, so if there's any run post 2000, I'd love some info on it!

I have Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, AvX, House of M, Messiah Complex and Second Coming. Haven't read any of them yet (apart from House of M, which I loved!).

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok. I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga in the X-Men cartoon, and have heard loads of people saying that they're weary of the film due in June, so if there's any run post 2000, I'd love some info on it!

I have Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, AvX, House of M, Messiah Complex and Second Coming. Haven't read any of them yet (apart from House of M, which I loved!).
Everything from Messiah Complex to Messiah War to Second Coming was awesome. They are like a trilogy of X-Men events.

Also check out Uncanny X-Force!

Status
Not open for further replies.