• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
It's not quite Obi-Wan/Jedi enough like the above art, but my quick take on it...

Ov0j6Oi.jpg

I don't remember what happened to the "Traitor!" stormtrooper from TFA and I don't care, but he should return dramatically and face off against Finn again.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine: Finn leading a stormtrooper rebellion in white stormtrooper armour wielding a lightsaber like General Kenobi from the Clone Wars.

I really am bummed that "there has been an awakening in the Force" wasn't Snoke talking about Finn. Could you imagine a Stormtrooper, a literal nobody whose very identity was taken from him, witnessing terrible acts of violence which awaken his connection to the Force?

And as the movies progress, he deepens his mastery of the Force specifically so he can free his brothers and sisters from the First Order, going from traitor to revolutionary.

Better yet, he's never interested in the war between the Resistance and the First Order and has no intention of leading the Stormtroopers against the First Order - until he finds out Rey has joined Ben and the other Stormtroopers pledge to help him get her back.

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
I have yet to see ROS, but could this still not be made into a spinoff film, or perhaps as Episode 10 as a way for Disney to try and recover the sequel trilogy? Have captain Phasma lead the last remanat of the First order that is occupying Coruscant and have the rest of the gang lead an uprising.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty wild to see him confirm it like this.

The whole experience for him must be bizarre
If anything, he's the only one who comes out of this entire thing smelling like roses.

The hypothetical movie he was going to make is forever going to be held as this urban legend of the superior film compared to the one we received. Even if he would have screwed it all up, we'll never know.

It's kind of like how Zack Snyder has rode the wave of #ReleasetheSnyderCut for several years now, even though history and logic would tell us it would've been just as bad or worse.

... But I also admit, yeah, I'm kind of in that zone now too. Was very disappointed in RoS, and the concepts pitched from the earlier version pique my interest and curiosity more than anything I saw in the final finished film.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, the only thing I find weird about Duel of the Fates is the name itself. It was going to be the title of Episode IX... but it was already the title of a well known music track, from Episode I. It's a great name but I would find it weird to reuse a name like that instead of having something unique.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know, the only thing I find weird about Duel of the Fates is the name itself. It was going to be the title of Episode IX... but it was already the title of a well known music track, from Episode I. It's a great name but I would find it weird to reuse a name like that instead of having something unique.

To be fair, the naming of The Last Jedi got flack for being a second Star Wars movie with the name Jedi in it. The Rise of Skywalker name got flack for having almost the same initials as Revenge of the Sith.

Duel of the Fates would probably have not been the final title if they had went forward with Trevorrow's version, as Disney marketing needs a say.

I don't remember what happened to the "Traitor!" stormtrooper from TFA and I don't care, but he should return dramatically and face off against Finn again.

He got shot.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see ROS, but could this still not be made into a spinoff film, or perhaps as Episode 10 as a way for Disney to try and recover the sequel trilogy? Have captain Phasma lead the last remanat of the First order that is occupying Coruscant and have the rest of the gang lead an uprising.

The ST is dead after TROS.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
This is generating so much good will for Trevorrow that I almost wonder if he leaked this artwork himself. Him not getting to make his movie is turning out to be a blessing in disguise :P

It's gotta be coming from someone close to him. My conspiracy theory is that this is all coming from Derek Connolly. I have absolutely no proof to back this up.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced that the loud fans would still not have been happy with his version. They would have bitched and complained just like they did with TFA for playing it safe and just like they did with TLJ for taking risks.

Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
It's true that Trevorrow's film could have been worse than what we got. However, TROS was such a forgetable and inadequate film that I'd honestly take a potentially worse movie with cooler ideas.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, he's the only one who comes out of this entire thing smelling like roses.

The hypothetical movie he was going to make is forever going to be held as this urban legend of the superior film compared to the one we received. Even if he would have screwed it all up, we'll never know.

It's kind of like how Zack Snyder has rode the wave of #ReleasetheSnyderCut for several years now, even though history and logic would tell us it would've been just as bad or worse.

... But I also admit, yeah, I'm kind of in that zone now too. Was very disappointed in RoS, and the concepts pitched from the earlier version pique my interest and curiosity more than anything I saw in the final finished film.
Even if Trevorrow screwed it up, it would have still been better. ROS was that bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't we get Rey with the double bladed lightsaber??? I mean I know why, its cause JJ Abrams is actually really boring and when he makes a character for DnD its a human that uses a single sword.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Say it louder, it's going to age horribly too. People will look back and be baffled at the decisions made...well, not the people who can still have " fun" at movies.. I wish I still could :(. Stupid brain.
I'm glad some people enjoy it, it has a few moments I like such as Luke finally lifting his X wing, I thought that moment was absolutely magical but I do see a lot of people on facebook saying it fixed TLJ, instead of explaining why they think it's good movie.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
WE WERE ROBBED OF REY'S DOUBLE LIGHTSABER, FUCK!
That was a different planet, although it was incredibly poorly explained.

As dubious as I am that Trevorrow would have pulled it off, the basic ideas here are so much better than TROS and fit so much better with TFA and TLJ. Finn leading a stormtrooper uprising was a no-brainer, I mean TLJ literally ends with:

Rey: How do we build the Rebellion from this?
Leia: We have everything we need.

Rey, Poe and Finn have all grown as characters and they are the spark that will restore the Republic. But it turns out that what they actually need is wayfinders, a dagger, Lando and dualwielding lightsaber perk to win the day. All that character stuff didn't matter in the end.
FUCKK

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm glad some people enjoy it, it has a few moments I like such as Luke finally lifting his X wing, I thought that moment was absolutely magical but I do see a lot of people on facebook saying it fixed TLJ, instead of explaining why they think it's good movie.

Because it's not a good movie it's a collection of moments barely coherently strung together designed to hit nostalgia "feels" or otherwise , many of them completely unearned. Disney over corrected and pandered to some of the worst fans in existence , some people wanted that and enjoyed it, but the mess we got speaks for itself.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Some random notes on these images, because I'm bored.

Going by the signatures, here are the artists who worked on these:

Christian Alzmann
Ryan Church
Doug Chiang
Kev Jenkins
Yannick Dusseault (he signed his piece here with his nickname "Dusso")

The first piece says "Black Diamond" which was the original code name for the project. Ryan Church labeled his work of the razer sailer fending off the Knife-9 with "BD" which is likely referring to the same thing.

Christian Alzmann and Ryan Church like to date their work, bless their souls. They both sometimes put the month and year they created a piece near their signatures. Here are the dates from these:

Tor Valum is 4/16
Finn and Rose futzing with something while R2 and C-3PO look on is 5/16
Rey meditating appears to be 6/16
Leia with BB-8 is 6/16
The Knife-9 vs. the razer sailor is Mar. 2017
Luke grabbing Kylo's lightsaber seems to be 3/17

The Last Jedi wrapped principal photography in July 2016, so some of these pieces were made while that movie was still being filmed.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Disney were cowards. Lucas made shit movies, but at least they always made a interesting universe in the process. TLJ was the only interesting movie of the sequel trilogy but Disney ruined the trilogy by being Disney.

An interesting but flawed movie is way more Star Wars than the rubber stamped nonsense that we got. And now Disney is doubling down by trying to literally take the Marvel approach with Star Wars. It reeks of Executives being cowards and meddling in everything.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no possible way unless you retcon ep9 out of existence.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Some random notes on these images, because I'm bored.

Going by the signatures, here are the artists who worked on these:

Christian Alzmann
Ryan Church
Doug Chiang
Kev Jenkins
Yannick Dusseault (he signed his piece here with his nickname "Dusso")

The first piece says "Black Diamond" which was the original code name for the project. Ryan Church labeled his work of the razer sailer fending off the Knife-9 with "BD" which is likely referring to the same thing.

Christian Alzmann and Ryan Church like to date their work, bless their souls. They both sometimes put the month and year they created a piece near their signatures. Here are the dates from these:

Tor Valum is 4/16
Finn and Rose futzing with something while R2 and C-3PO look on is 5/16
Rey meditating appears to be 6/16
Leia with BB-8 is 6/16
The Knife-9 vs. the razer sailor is Mar. 2017
Luke grabbing Kylo's lightsaber seems to be 3/17

The Last Jedi wrapped principal photography in July 2016, so some of these pieces were made while that movie was still being filmed.

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting.

It really shows what a constrained time schedule The Rise of Skywalker must have been made on, if Trevorrow's script and ideas were already coming together way back in early 2016. JJ only came on board in September 2017, so he basically had to get a movie made on the same deadline but with at least eighteen months less production time.

I wonder how much of this could have been avoided if Disney/Lucasfilm had just been willing to delay the movie an extra year. I know it's a huge machine of merchandising and theme parks all aiming for that one release date, but, man, they needed to do it anyway. It's not like Disney was hurting for profits in 2019 :P

EDIT - Just reminding myself, they did actually delay the movie from its original planned release date of May 2019 once JJ came on board. Still, though, it obviously wasn't enough.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
The campfire image reminds me of the planet Mando was on in the first episode, wonder if that's intentional or just a coincidence.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
rsc2hzf.jpg

AofG5nT.jpg

I wonder if this is closer to a 'final' version of Rey's look in this movie. That earlier concept art where she's just wearing Luke's ROTJ outfit was way too on-the-nose, but I love this look. It's Prequel Jedi robes, Luke's Jedi Knight outfit and Rey's felt vest thing from the beginning of TLJ all rolled into one, and the ponytail would look so good whipping around dramatically in action scenes.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting from the Star Wars Community thread:

Oh God yes, give me all the early stuff, straight into my veins. Some quick notes:

The artists for these are mostly the same as for the first leak, with one new name (in bold):

Ryan Church
Kev Jenkins
Doug Chiang
Christian Alzmann
Eric Tiemens.

The dates span from May of 2016 until April of 2017, though the art of someone firing on BB-8 and the close up of Leia might be from April 2016. The date is cut off on those so it's hard to tell. Not all the pictures have a date, either.

Some captions mention a "2ND DRAFT." All the details in these captions (and the pictures themselves) match details from Jason Ward's report on the final Connolly/Trevorrow draft. That could mean that Connolly and Trevorrow only wrote two drafts, but I find that unlikely. With 18 months on the project, you'd think they would have written more than that, especially since the project was having script issues. And I don't know who wrote the captions so maybe they only know as much as we do. It's certainly possible that these things (Moraband, Wavett) were introduced in a 2nd draft and then were kept in subsequent ones.

According to Robert Meyer Burnett, who was also aware of the concept art before it leaked, there were at least 140-150 pieces of it for Duel of the Fates. I don't know if that's the total count or just the number that had gotten into people's hands. I'm guessing the latter. With this leak, we now have 48.

Last edited: