AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
You definitely should. It's abhorrent that you're trying to use a man's death to stop people insulting a political party you like. Like, what the fuck?
And why are you and other people taking this moment of all others to get your digs on the party in?

I don't like the tories either but this is a time where everyone should clearly say murder is wrong and that's it.
Not "murder is bad, but…"
The fuck?

I'm out too, this thread is fucking sick

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Good lord. What absolute nonsense.

So we're saying language isn't potentially corrosive and enabling, particularly if it intersects with people predisposed to violence? Just as a basic principle of interaction in modern society, that's what we apply elsewhere, and rightly so (irrespective of left/right etc). How so? What's the difference?

This is not the same as saying 'Tory scum' = 'I will kill you', but to say it's 'nonsense' that there's, in effect, no possible link, is dishonest. Hatred and idiocy doesn't give a fuck for subtleties, that's kind of the point behind zero-tolerance approaches to this stuff, I thought?

Irrespective, we don't know what the situation is here, in terms of intention et al.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
And why are you taking this moment of all others to get your 2 cents on the party in?
"The fuck?"
Where did I do that?

And why are you taking this moment of all others to get your digs on the party in?

I don't like the tories either but this is a time where everyone should clearly say murder is wrong and that's it.
Not "murder is bad, but…"
The fuck?

Where did I say anything like this?
You do definitely need to calm down and probably take a break because I was just responding to the people who out of nowhere started posting "This is why people shouldn't say 'Tory Scum'" because that's fucked up.

Don't put words in my mouth and accuse me of doing messed up shit I didn't do, 'kay?

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This is disturbing. Has this sort of attack on MPs become more common in the UK?

'Only' 2 in five years, but even that is unusual. As I've referred to in a previous post, the last time it was like this, it was in the Troubles. And in those instances, that wasn't at MPs' surgeries, where both of these have been.

Oct 27, 2017
🙄
Fuck off trying to tie this to Angela Rayner. Disgusting.

You don't have to agree. It doesn't matter if you do or you don't.

The murder of an MP is going to put a spotlight on the rhetoric, the "heat" and the temper of modern politics. It was the case after Jo Cox and it will be again now. Part of that is going to include the language used from all sides of the political spectrum, and thinking Rayner shouting "Tory Scum" at the Labour conference is going to escape further scrutiny just seems laughably naive. It is going to be brought up again, and it is not a good look for Angela or her party - which in turn is why it probably shouldn't have been said in the first place.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
A deeply misguided and politically damaging man has died a deeply unnecessary and tragic death. His actions hurt others but he didn't deserve this, these two sentiments can co-exist simultaneously

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
So we're saying language isn't potentially corrosive and enabling, particularly if it intersects with people predisposed to violence? Cos that's what we say elsewhere, and rightly so. This is not the same as saying 'Tory scum' = 'I will kill you', but to say it's 'nonsense' that there's, in effect, no possible link, is dishonest. Hatred and idiocy doesn't give a fuck for subtleties, that's kind of the point behind zero-tolerance approaches to this stuff, I thought?
This reads alot like trying equate slurs with calling tories mean names, just so you're aware.

Liminal Cat

Sep 26, 2021
I feel like I'm losing my mind. I posted "Hating conservatives is fine" as a direct response to, "Tory scum shouldn't be normalized," and someone comparing hating Tories to hating minorities (which... uh...).

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This reads alot like trying equate slurs with calling tories mean names, just so you're aware.

I'm fully aware of it, and I'm curious as to where the link between 'mean names' (scum) and 'slurs' (scum?) breaks down. I'm fully cogniscant of power differentials and have no truck with the Tories, but I'm curious as to when words suddenly don't become meaningful in the wider discourse. Are these words not meaningful because their targets are powerful? What does that mean to someone immersed in violent discourse? (All hypothetically, of course).

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
not really its pretty uncommon. the odd egg throwing or calling them cunts is usually the extent. the last serious attack was jo cox in 2016.

It's a thing that kinda happens once every 5-10 years, (post war era until the 70s excluded), but i think people had their fill of death by that point. loonies, people affected by decisions national and local make you a target.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
You can hate the man and still not wish this on his family. It's not that hard, ERA.

some deep reflection is needed in this thread!

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
This is a very sensitive topic at this time and it's not clear what the motivations of the attacker are, political probably, whether they hold left wing views or more extremist right wing views.

What worries me is that this will be used to crack down on criticism and protest of Tories, particularly the left wing. Equating language such as "Tory scum" as hateful and incitement of violence, which I don't agree with. I've heard enough commentary this past week from the Tories around this alongside this government's record of restricting political protest, so I know they'll be looking to capitalize on this. I despise the Tories and their contempt for working class people, but at no point do I believe violence is the answer even after all the suffering they have caused to people through their policies.
And I don't care for people tone policing in this thread, just because a man has died doesn't mean he's above criticism; the attacker is a criminal and is disgusting, it's possible for both the victim and the murderer to be crappy human beings. There's no side to take in this.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility
You don't have to agree. It doesn't matter if you do or you don't.

The murder of an MP is going to put a spotlight on the rhetoric, the "heat" and the temper of modern politics. It was the case after Jo Cox and it will be again now. Part of that is going to include the language used from all sides of the political spectrum, and thinking Rayner shouting "Tory Scum" at the Labour conference is going to escape further scrutiny just seems laughably naive. It is going to be brought up again, and it is not a good look for Angela or her party - which in turn is why it probably shouldn't have been said in the first place.

Fuck. Off.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone throwing a tantrum about people 'hating conservatives' needs to take a moment and breathe.

When someone says they 'hate' a minority, they're talking about the existence of those people. When someone says they 'hate' conservatives, they're talking about their ideology and their actions. It's not the same thing at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm losing my mind. I posted "Hating conservatives is fine" as a direct response to, "Tory scum shouldn't be normalized," and someone comparing hating Tories to hating minorities (which... uh...).

You should probably clarify that in your post as it doesn't have any context in it. Posting that in a thread about someone's murder just makes it look like you're in support of it.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
A deeply misguided and politically damaging man has died a deeply unnecessary and tragic death. His actions hurt others but he didn't deserve this, these two sentiments can co-exist simultaneously

This is about the most moderate, restrained statement I can make in a thread where people are implying that calling people choosing to do evil things scum is the same as calling minorities slurs and actively contributing to hundreds of their deaths.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

You didn't quote that post though, so people are naturally going to assume your remark was a response to the murder itself.

And as a response to the murder your post would indeed be disgusting, while as a response to those posters it is fine.

Oct 30, 2017
Whole situation is grim, obviously perpetrated by some sort of extremist, and should not have happened, but this "Tory scum" pearl clutching, good lord 🙄

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Last time i will say anything on this, if Tory Scum was so off limits then they shouldn't have been proudly parading around in TORY SCUM badges at Tory conference. I don't agree with violence and that applies equally to the conservatives so there's not much else to say really beyond condolences.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
This is about the most moderate statement I can make in a thread where people are implying that calling people choosing to do evil things scum is the same as calling minorities slurs and actively contributing to hundreds of their deaths.
Language on Tories can and should not be moderated considering the extent of the damage they have wreaked on the people of this country, esp the vulnerable, and it is a jarring left turn for the discussion to swerve in while a human being's body remains warm. Even if the body belonged to a cunt