• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Chickens coming home to roost? Ah man, this is rich.

Mate, you ever tried living on the edges of poverty? Clinging on to the cliff by the tips of your fingers only to have someone walk up to the cliff and instead of pulling you up they stomp on your hand?

I don't even know why the guy did it and I could be completely off base. It doesn't really matter because it's a hypothetical. I don't condone it but in that case I can understand it. To immediately jump to the conclusion there is extremism on "both ends" and both are equally bad when they can come from completely different places and motives is complete horseshit.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Labour MPs should be able to say it's terrible that he was murdered, that it's bad for democracy and he was a dedicated local MP etc, without making him out to be the saint of Westminster. He supported some really shitty policies that seem to be rooted in his religion, if he's a saint then why the fuck aren't you joining the conservative party and doubling down on it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What if it's a person who just saw their national credit cut and had their entire life thrown into disarray no longer able to afford rent, food, and heat thanks to people like this Tory and they had nowhere else to turn? Is that a culture war? What was Jo Cox murdered for? A fucking white supremacist loon thought white people were being out bred.

I'm tired of this "both ends" false equivalence horseshit. Tories choose to ruin people's lives every day. Chickens possibly coming home to roost is not the same as murdering someone because of batshit insanity.

Mate, you ever tried living on the edges of poverty? Clinging on to the cliff by the tips of your fingers only to have someone walk up to the cliff and instead of pulling you up they stomp on your hand?

I don't even know why the guy did it and I could be completely off base. It doesn't really matter because it's a hypothetical. I don't condone it but in that case I can understand it. To immediately jump to the conclusion there is extremism on "both ends" and both are equally bad when they can come from completely different places and motives is complete horseshit.
Completely agree with both posts.

I didn't want to speculate in the thread itself but my first thought was about the universal credit cuts as a possible motive. That's not to say he deserved it if that's the case though, obviously, but it really puts these "both sides" comments in perspective

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Love to be lectured about seeing the humanity in those who saw none in others 🤮

When did the facade of words become reality versus the very real pain and strife this MP helped formulate and bring into the world through policy. Action. Death shouldn't be the great redeemer, especially for people who impact society negatively on such a higher level. If anything that tweet proves just how vapid words can be as people seem to use death as a way to showcase their own humanity then it's back to business as usual once this moment of 'grace' has passed.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
thinking about his family at this time.

politics aside, no one deserves to die like this.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
www.telegraph.co.uk

Sir David Amess dies: Terror police leading probe into MP's fatal stabbing

Counter-terror police are leading the investigation into the fatal attack on the Conservative MP Sir David Amess, who was stabbed multiple times at his constituency surgery.

It is understood the man being held on suspicion of murder is of Somalian origin. A witness who described seeing him being taken away by the police said he was calm and compliant.

Security sources confirmed that the suspect was believed to be a Somalian, but police were still seeking to establish a motive for the attack.
Our energy may be better spent fearing for the Somalian community in the UK than Ames.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
www.telegraph.co.uk

Sir David Amess dies: Terror police leading probe into MP's fatal stabbing

Counter-terror police are leading the investigation into the fatal attack on the Conservative MP Sir David Amess, who was stabbed multiple times at his constituency surgery.

Our energy may be better spent fearing for the Somalian community in the UK than Ames.
Yeah this was my worry when I saw that, the murderer being non-white is going to rile up the absolute worst in this country

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this was my worry when I saw that, the murderer being non-white is going to rile up the absolute worst in this country
Everything riles up the worst in this country. Still, Twitter at this moment is a hive of scum bags now on about immigrants etc even though they have no idea why Amess was killed.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I don't go into UK politics threads too much so I'm kind of shocked at the amount of pearl-clutching here over a homophobic conservative. When shitty ass US political figures die we have an absolute blast. Look at the Donald Rumsfeld thread, or Rush Limbaugh's thread.
People celebrating the murder of their political enemies is a fucking horrifying route to go down.

It's one thing when it's natural causes (plenty of folk were extremely gleeful when Thatcher died), but a sitting MP being murdered while carrying out their democratic role is fucking awful, and should be treated as such.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm not looking forward to the Tories using this as bait for Anti-Immigration and Anti-Refugee rhetoric (not as if they aren't doing that already). Fuck them if they actually take that route

EdenOfTheEast

Banned
Jul 1, 2020
Russia is a man in power killing his political opponents for the most part. Apples and oranges. Being happy a bad person died, one who reaped what he sowed is a little different.

Unless my man was a serial killer I don't think he sowed the seed to be killed in public like this is some distopian land where that is ever acceptable…

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalizing a political assassination over a series of posts; long history and numerous prior bans for inflammatory behavior.
Unless my man was a serial killer I don't think he sowed the seed to be killed in public like this is some distopian land where that is ever acceptable…
He worked towards creating a dystopia where this could happen. It's unfortunate he was murdered but the reality is that if he would have shown a modicum of decency toward other human beings, he probably wouldn't be laying in the morgue right now.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Dude was an awful human being IMO.

But he did not deserve to get stabbed.

I hope his family are OK.

Oct 27, 2017
People celebrating the murder of their political enemies is a fucking horrifying route to go down.

It's one thing when it's natural causes (plenty of folk were extremely gleeful when Thatcher died), but a sitting MP being murdered while carrying out their democratic role is fucking awful, and should be treated as such.
You put it better than I could have, it's disappointing but not surprising.

Guy seems like he was trash but he didn't deserve to die like this

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
He worked towards creating a dystopia where this could happen. It's unfortunate he was murdered but the reality is that if he would have shown a modicum of decency toward other human beings, he probably wouldn't be laying in the morgue right now.

pretty sure that if someone hadn't decided to stab him a dozen times then he wouldn't be doing that either

fuck me

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
He had a garbage voting record and was most likely a horrible person, but I'm not sure he was out there actively trying to turn Mad Max into a reality.

Also the person who stabbed him to death might have something to do with the whole thing.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I understand where you are coming from but that's going a little bit too far and doesn't need to be said. We don't know what the motive was and its wrong to suggest that this is a result of his actions without knowing

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
pretty sure that if someone hadn't decided to stab him a dozen times then he wouldn't be doing that either

fuck me
Sure but words have consequences. This dude decided to be a shitbag politician and this is what happened. The push from the right to divide on the basis of hate will only beget violence. Preach unity, love and care for humanity and stuff like this will happen on a less frequent basis.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Terrible

He may have been a piece of shit in his politics, but nobody deserves to be stabbed to death

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
i'll save my sympathy for the peoples who's lives have been ruined or ended by the policies he supported.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Sure but words have consequences. This dude decided to be a shitbag politician and this is what happened. The push from the right to divide on the basis of hate will only beget violence. Preach unity, love and care for humanity and stuff like this will happen on a less frequent basis.
Jo Cox was pretty understanding and she still got murdered. This isn't a good line of reasoning.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You put it better than I could have, it's disappointing but not surprising.

Guy seems like he was trash but he didn't deserve to die like this
Probably not. The people suffering from the UC cut don't deserve it either, but I don't see any compassion for them coming from their party. Difference being they actually caused that knowingly and the public didn't have any control over this situation

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017

In the end, he'll be replaced by someone just like him and there will be ammo for anti-immigrant rhetoric, nobody is celebrating in this thread, because even if you're completely heartless nothing good will come of what has happened. Alot of people just don't have the energy to pretend to care about someone who they will not miss.

He wasn't a good person but he shouldn't have been killed.

Nobody is celebrating, it's just people pearl clutching at the idea of people celebrating.

Edit: Missed that you were just saying that celebrating would be bad. Sorry, your post is clear, I just need to read better.

Last edited:

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
We have no idea what motivated the attacker either, so his voting record or general terribleness as a human being might be completely irrelevant to what happened. Why are people presuming it was because of his politics?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
The suspect being of Somalian descent is incredibly sad to hear - this is going to cause some horrific abuse and attacks on minorities, and no doubt Patel and Co will use this for draconian racially motivated measures to be put in place.

No politician should be murdered while meeting constituents.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Jo Cox was pretty understanding and she still got murdered. This isn't a good line of reasoning.
Who murdered Jo Cox? Oh that's right a far right nut job who was egged on by assholes like David Amess. My point still stands. If both parties worked towards bettering humanity you would have far less of this shit.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, he'll be replaced by someone just like him and there will be ammo for anti-immigrant rhetoric, nobody is celebrating in this thread because even if you're completely heartless, nothing good will come of what has happened. Alot of people just don't have the energy to pretend to care about someone who they will not miss.

He wasn't a good person but he shouldn't have been killed.

Nobody is celebrating, it's just people pearl clutching at the idea of people celebrating.
That post was in response to someone wondering why people weren't celebrating like we'd seen for other right-wing politicians dying.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Who murdered Jo Cox? Oh that's right a far right nut job who was egged on by assholes like David Amess. My point still stands. If both parties worked towards bettering humanity you would have far less of this shit.
What we need less of is dirtbags excusing murder based on political and ideological grounds.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
He was clearly a very bad person, which his voting history tells us very clearly. However, I am never going to condone murder... ever!

Apart from any moral standpoint, the act only weakens the opposing position to his views.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Damnit, I just know there will be either hate crimes or anti immigrant policies against the Somali community because of this. :( My prayers and solidarity is with that community.

(Not condoning the murder, obviously.)

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
We have no idea what motivated the attacker either, so his voting record or general terribleness as a human being might be completely irrelevant to what happened. Why are people presuming it was because of his politics?

it's just empty speculation

for all we know at this stage, it might have been someone local he was trying to help

who knows

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I didn't say he did, I'm just pointing out that maybe we need less dirtbags making asinine distinctions between murders depending on the political beliefs of the victim.
We need to identify why these murders take place instead of obfuscating it behind the stupid statement of "murder bad." Preventing something bad from happening doesn't happen because we call the action bad.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Murdering elected representatives of parliament shouldn't be condoned ever.

It doesn't matter if it's Jo Cox, who is sorely missed, or David Amess, who I would have absolutely nothing politically in common with.

There's underlying reasons that, obviously, exist and until we address those, there's a high risk that politicians will face continued violence.

My thought go to his family and friends.

Nov 9, 2017
We need to identify why these murders take place instead of obfuscating it behind the stupid statement of "murder bad." Preventing something bad from happening doesn't happen because we call the action bad.

jeff-bridges-what.gif