• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I don't blame the Japanese government in this case for taking this long to act. A cruise ship is massive and there would have been no practical way to evacuate and quarantine everyone quickly when this first happened. It's a really shitty situation. I'm glad they're making preparations now to start moving people off even before they are confirmed cases.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those are some weird hoops to jump through

I don't blame the Japanese government in this case for taking this long to act. A cruise ship is massive and there would have been no practical way to evacuate and quarantine everyone quickly when this first happened. It's a really shitty situation. I'm glad they're making preparations now to start moving people off even before they are confirmed cases.
Feels like they already knew the ship was infected when it docked.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
There was a segment on Japanese TV yesterday in which they demonstrated it. Basically the examiner orally inserted a long cotton swab (around the length of a pencil) into the throat of the subject to collect a sample.

That sounds like a strep test. As you can see from that rather hard to watch video, the nasopharyngeal test goes through the nose and is much more invasive than a throat swab.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Those are some weird hoops to jump through
It's rather strict but I guess the logic is that those are the most vulnerable in terms of possibly dying from the virus, so they would allow them off before they get infected. But even then, yeah they should just allow all elderly or those with poor immunity to get off right now. It's so heartbreaking to see this.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Haven't they found another way to deal with that situation? That's honestly heart breaking to see the numbers rising, and it's difficult to know if every new case actually caught the virus as a result of the quarantine.
One of the testers was found to be infected, so it's possible that they in turn have infected other testers and/or the people they were testing. It would be one possible explanation for the high number of cases post-quarantine.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
That sounds like a strep test. As you can see from that rather hard to watch video, the nasopharyngeal test goes through the nose and is much more invasive than a throat swab.
Thanks for clarifying that, the video looks much more invasive than what they showed on TV yesterday. I'm not sure then what they were using the throat swabs for. The reporting could have been inaccurate or I might have misinterpreted what they were saying.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
My sis is heading to South Africa for a vacation at the end of the month. She's totally convinced that they're just doing a piss poor job of identifying any cases at all and it's probably already there, but she's not too worried about that. What she's more worried about is if they start waking up and putting measures in place, because Singapore could potentially be put on a block list if things get worse and other countries freak out. Lmao.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Which country you coming from? Here in the US I am going on a nonstop flight from Boston, right in my backyard. I would see if they have nonstop if at all possible. It actually wasn't really much more expensive than a flight to a stopover hub.
Unfortunately, there isn't any nonstop flight from Switzerland to Fukuoka, Japan.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
yup, biggest risk right now when travelling is when your stopover country suddenly gets blocked from your destination or at least gets a mandatory quarantine on arrival

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has already been shared:

www.cbs8.com

San Diego lab discovers COVID-19 vaccine in 3 hours

Inovio Pharmaceuticals created a vaccine that is going through pre-clinical trials.
Someone posted this a few pages ago, so went and noticed that this company, INO stock (switch to a 1 year view) seems to have tried (and failed?) to use CV news to manipulate their share value.

Also, from this article about the 100 million --just coincidentally added-- to their Shelf offering:
"..the move by Inovio to up its shelf offering appears to be a case of the company taking advantage of the current news cycle and has very little to do with its desire to help solve the coronavirus."
..Even if a company successfully develops a vaccine, which will likely take years, there typically isn't a lot of money in it," Brad Loncar, the creator of two biotech indexes "

So, there.

I'm more surprised to that bit about the tests not being 100% infallible (without CT Scan).
If true, that's problematic.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Another possible factor for sudden huge number increase is because four of highest government chief officers and department directors got removed and replaced by officers outside of Hubei.

Yesterday, Hubei's public health department minister and director got removed from office immediately.
China's anti-corruption body said Hubei health commission chief Zhang Jin and director Liu Yingzi had been sacked for unspecified reasons and their roles would be filled by Wang Hesheng, a member of the provincial committee of the Communist Party.
Today, Wuhan CPC municipal leader Ma Guoqiang and Hubei CPC provincial chief Jiang Chaoliang got dismissed and replaced by Shanghai mayor Ying Yong.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-hubei-party/chinas-hubei-wuhan-communist-party-chiefs-removed-amid-epidemic-idUSKBN207

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
The same number as in Indonesia.

Maybe not for long...

www.channelnewsasia.com

Garuda grounds aircraft after passenger on Bali-Shanghai flight tested positive for COVID-19

JAKARTA: Garuda Indonesia has grounded a plane that is said to have carried a Chinese passenger who has been tested positive for COVID-19.The passenger flew from Bali to Shanghai on Jan 28 and was confirmed to have contracted COVID-19 on Feb 5.Garuda Indonesia, the

JAKARTA: Garuda Indonesia has grounded a plane that is said to have carried a Chinese passenger who has been tested positive for COVID-19.

The passenger was flying from Bali to Shanghai on Jan 28 and was confirmed to have contracted COVID-19 on Feb 5.

Garuda Indonesia, the country's national carrier, is grounding the GA858 aircraft for further inspection and disinfection, it said on Thursday (Feb 13).

"(We have also) replaced the High Efficiency Particulate Arresting (HEPA) air filters in the plane ... which functions to kill viruses and bacteria in the aircraft cabin," the statement read.

As a precaution, the carrier said it has sprayed disinfectant liquid in the cabins of its planes, especially those that have previously served Indonesia-China routes.

The aircraft cargo area has also been disinfected, it added, with all crews undergoing health checks at the airport before and after their flights.

"We made this commitment to strengthen the anticipatory efforts to curb the spread of the virus, especially in the line of air transportation services," said Garuda Indonesia Director of Operations Tumpal M Hutapea.

The Chinese Anhui provincial authorities reportedly announced on social media last week that the patient had flown on Lion Air flight JT2618 from Wuhan – the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak – to Bali on Jan 22.

The patient stayed in Bali for about a week before flying on Garuda Indonesia flight GA858 from Bali to Shanghai on Jan 28.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Maybe not for long...

www.channelnewsasia.com

Garuda grounds aircraft after passenger on Bali-Shanghai flight tested positive for COVID-19

JAKARTA: Garuda Indonesia has grounded a plane that is said to have carried a Chinese passenger who has been tested positive for COVID-19.The passenger flew from Bali to Shanghai on Jan 28 and was confirmed to have contracted COVID-19 on Feb 5.Garuda Indonesia, the
Nah. Our government and doctors/scientists would just shrug it off.

"Nope, after intensive care and testing, there's absolutely no virus infection here. Move along."

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a training course and our Dutch instructor has had to stay in the hotel today because he's come down with something. Wasn't long ago at a big international conference.

Mar 22, 2019
Welp going to Tokyo direct from Sydney in April for 9 days (literally been planning the trip for a year as a much needed holiday).

this is escalating and not slowing down so think ive got to cancel and pray for a refund 😟

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Welp going to Tokyo direct from Sydney in April for 9 days (literally been planning the trip for a year as a much needed holiday).

this is escalating and not slowing down so think ive got to cancel and pray for a refund 😟
I'm going to Tokyo next month, you really don't need to cancel your trip unless you're heading to China. Honestly, I'm not even slightly concerned.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EQnQ-HBX0AAnQqQ

Gives you an idea just how big of a jump this is.
Ah well, there it is. Some days ago I expressed doubts about accuracy of numbers being reported. Now we are getting somewhere.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019

No need to yet. Go until the Australian or Japanese government say otherwise. I'm off to Japan two weeks today and still planning to go. At the moment aside from Singapore the virus seems relatively contained and doesn't post a serious health risk.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Try not to worry too much, I would try not to rush to cancel. I was in Japan until late January before flying back to Sydney and it seems like tourism and foot traffic is way down compared to a couple of weeks ago.

Mar 29, 2018
I just heard that part too. So from now on, every new case will mean that's people with damage to their lungs.
God damn. And in a place like China, with all the smoking and air pollution.

Heavy going.

Saw this somewhere.....

COVID-19 = Chinese Outbreak Virus In December 19
This is the sort of statement(/propaganda) that is going to cause massive cultural divide and damage in the future. It's pure sinophobia.

Last edited:

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Well in some rare good news on the COVID-19 front, my state in Australia (New South Wales), which until recently was almost entirely on fire, has just reported that all four confirmed cases here have recovered and been discharged from hospital.

www.smh.com.au

All four NSW coronavirus patients free from disease

The number of cases diagnosed in Australia remains steady, while 15 citizens on board a cruise ship have now been diagnosed with the virus.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's why real estimates can be difficult to assess when you add in the regular numbers they deal with. Fortunately, objective estimates of deaths due to the virus aren't as alarming as some sensationalists portray (not even close to being 6 figures high), but they're still significantly higher than the current "official" numbers.

Also, still no national update:

National update is out - 312 new confirmed cases, down from 377 yesterday.

They're obviously still applying the 'old' diagnostic criteria, but at least on that basis new cases are continuing to decline.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No don't worry mate. Will fly at the end of May (over Helsinki MikeHattsu :P) and I don't worry at all. Just wash your hands correctly etc. and you will be fine

Mar 22, 2019
Thanks everyone re. my Tokyo concerns - you are right it will all be fine! The damn media and social sites are making this sound like the end of the world is nigh...

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Tested + symptomatically diagnosed certainly provides a better ballpark figure of cases (even with the inevitability of some false positives for non-coronavirus symptoms and pneumonia), but there will also be mild cases slipping through the cracks as well as cases still in incubation and liable not to be tested or diagnosed yet. At any rate, folks shouldn't panic at seeing that big spike in the reported case numbers, it's a combination of tested + suspected cases.

Had one for strep or whooping cough as a teen, it was one of the most uniquely uncomfortable feelings I've had. Like the swab tickles every hair and surface going down, and even if you don't sneeze your eyes water like hell.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Tested + symptomatically diagnosed certainly provides a better ballpark figure of cases (even with the inevitability of some false positives for non-coronavirus symptoms and pneumonia), but there will also be mild cases slipping through the cracks as well as cases still in incubation and liable not to be tested or diagnosed yet. At any rate, folks shouldn't panic at seeing that big spike in the reported case numbers, it's a combination of tested + suspected cases.

Had one for strep or whooping cough as a teen, it was one of the most uniquely uncomfortable feelings I've had. Like the swab tickles every hair and surface going down, and even if you don't sneeze your eyes water like hell.

Nurses performing this swab test must get covered with phlegm and mucus stuff all over... :o

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
This outbreak just demonstrates yet again how harmful lack of transparency in government is. Numbers jumping because they were only counting people tested by limited test kits. Clearly, they had the numbers of CT scan confirmations already or else they couldn't have had them ready so quickly. So basically, the numbers previously correlated with the test kits available and not necessarily with the number of infected, smh.

This kind of screwing with the numbers makes it difficult to ascertain how the virus works. In The Guardian I read that Chinese officials aren't being transparent about demographics of the deceased either. So it's unclear who belongs to risk groups etc.

It's not just China either, although Xi is obviously pretty bad. Trump doesn't seem to care a bit, not assisting with humanitarian aid and not preparing. The UK and other European countries seem way too sure of themselves that they have the capacity to deal with a sharp increase in infections.

Nevertheless, all we can do is try and stay positive, be sensible, and hope that the poor people in Hubei province catch a break soon.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
www.straitstimes.com

Coronavirus: 8 new cases in Singapore, including 5 more linked to Grace Assembly church, 1 linked to DBS case

The new cases include a 54-year-old man who is a National University of Singapore professor. Read more at straitstimes.com.

5 new cases linked to the second church cluster, 2 more cases from the construction worksite cluster, and 1 family member of the DBS employee. Our reporting of cases in Singapore is probably the most detailed and specific case study of how this spreads in a dense modern city. It's not going to go away anytime soon. :(

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw on TV a news flash saying the virus claimed its first death in Japan.
A woman in her 80s.

Edit:
NHK article about it.

www3.nhk.or.jp

新型コロナウイルス 神奈川の80代女性死亡 感染者死亡は国内初 | NHKニュース

神奈川県に住む80代の女性が死亡し、新型コロナウイルスに感染していたことがわかりました。国内で新型コロナウイルスの感染者…
Unfortunately we are going to start seeing a lot more of this soon. We are experiencing the time delay to death and you can see that the deaths are starting to ramp up outside of Hubei. Pretty soon Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan will start experiencing deaths on a daily basis

Status
Not open for further replies.