• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If Schreier says it's coming 2022, it's coming 2022.
Seems like his damn near spotless track record only gets used as confirmation for certain games.

Interesting. I remember many of us hoping he had his wires crossed about Forbidden West....look how that turned out.

I continue to say..Press Sneak rarely if ever misses.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I mean... its only April...there are 8 more months left in the year.

It really doesn't mean anything.

The past few years, a lot of companies have been focusing on shorter hype cycles. We have had quite a few high profile games go from announced to released within a few months.

Sony didn't even announce that Demon's Souls was a launch game until 2 months prior to coming out.
Demon's Souls hype has absolutely nothing on Ragnarok. I hope you guys are right but an official update on the game since the trailer by Cory himself not even confirming a 2022 window is making me skeptical. Makes me wonder the purpose of this update? We were waiting before we are still waiting now with no new information.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Demon's Souls hype has absolutely nothing on Ragnarok. I hope you guys are right but an official update on the game since the trailer by Cory himself not even confirming a 2022 window is making me skeptical. Makes me wonder the purpose of this update? We were waiting before we are still waiting now with no new information.
It's the 4th anniversary of GoW 1 and he's thanking his fans for their support, that's the entire purpose of this video/tweet.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this gets handled because with the one shot camera that seems incredibly hard to mitigate. It would have to actually change map geometry, and a lot of those slidethrough moments were also full of dialogue.
I wonder how much of GoWR is going to be us making mental notes of how it'd be better if it was a PS5 exclusive.

At the very least, they should let us fast travel whenever, and to different realms if we want. No more of this 3 different portals to get to Helheim bullshit again.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say about when it was announced. If you go back and look at their previous big releases, the first trailer is usually 2 years before the game comes out. The trailer for this came out in Sept 2021.
giphy.gif

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If Schreier says it's coming 2022, it's coming 2022.
I said I didn't think it would be delayed to 2023, not "it's coming in 2022." Video game development is way too turbulent for anyone to be able to guarantee a release date until like a week before it happens. But if it helps, I haven't heard anything about it slipping to 2023. I'll report it if I do.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the context. I had only read the quote in the OP.
Ah, that makes sense.
The whole video transcribed.
Cory Barlog said:
Hey everybody, Cory Barlog.

Just want to wish you a happy 4/20. Can you believe it's been 4 years since our baby went out into the wild. This is an amazing thing. Amazing feeling for me. An amazing feeling for the team here at Santa Monica Studio. I am so proud of everybody who worked on this, so thankful for all the work that they've done, but we are all collectively incredibly thankful to the fans and the community for all the love and support that we've received throughout all this time. Because without that support, we would not get to be able to make those games. It is your support that allows us to keep doing the things that we love to do.

God of War Ragnarok, the elephant in the room. We haven't said a lot about this, that's because everybody is heads down and hard at work. We are perfectionists. Everyone is tightening up the graphics on level three. There is so much going on right now that I just wish that I can share it with you, but it's just not ready to be shown. But I guarantee you, the moment, the very second that we have something that we're ready to share, we're going to share it. Because we don't want to hold any of this back. So please hold tight, know that something cool is coming, and that we---everybody here at Santa Monica---are so incredibly thankful for all the support that you've given us.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should totally do this. I don't care if it's weird or unfair to PS4 players lol.
Making 2 different versions of the game is probably more work than you'd think. Trying to stitch together areas in 2 different ways (with or without the loading hallways), needing to move the conversations that happened between characters during those loading moments to other areas, etc.

Plus you could argue the world would feel weird and tiny if all the different areas of the lake were right next to each other without any travel time between the central hub to the various levels surrounding it.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is a weird thread. Dude just thanking fans on the anniversary of his game and it all gets turned into discussions about delays.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
it's end of april and he said "not ready to be shown"
i think release date will be jan or feb 23 which is still q4 2022 in financial year
so technically it's still 2022

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The only reason Cory Barlog even gave an update is because he didn't, fans would be badgering everyone on twitter because it is an anniversary. The release date could be announced next month for October. I am normally pessimistic about these things, but I ma 100% confident it is coming out this year, I am going full clown make up on this.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will Ragnarok release before the literal Ragnarok that we're gonna live through in the coming years? 🤔

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
it's end of april and he said "not ready to be shown"
i think release date will be jan or feb 23 which is still q4 2022 in financial year
so technically it's still 2022
"Not ready to be shown" doesn't mean anything concrete. There's not some standard of readiness for us to draw conclusions from.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This discussion is so tiring. Just prepare the crow and set the timer for later this year.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally get the pessimism about the game's chances of being released this year. I don't understand what people want? Monthly updates? It's still only April.
Well…its their biggest game now and is barely marketed at all. Horizon/Ratchet had plenty of marketing before and hell, even miles morales had too!
While i think is not being delayed…i can see why some people can think it will

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I said I didn't think it would be delayed to 2023, not "it's coming in 2022." Video game development is way too turbulent for anyone to be able to guarantee a release date until like a week before it happens. But if it helps, I haven't heard anything about it slipping to 2023. I'll report it if I do.
Thanks, Jason. Do you know anything about Redfall and Starfield? Are they still coming in 2022?

Sep 21, 2019
It'll still release this year. Let's not forget that SSM announced the April 20th release date for GoW in late January 2018, just 3 months prior.

We will get a showcase and a release date by the end of June though likely in late May, and the game will lauch in August - October.

I'm really good at this game! Trust me.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It'll still release this year. Let's not forget that SSM announced the April 20th release date for GoW in late January 2018, just 3 months prior.

We will get a showcase and a release date by the end of June though likely in late May, and the game will lauch in August - October.

I'm really good at this game! Trust me.

Exactly, there is a history of this. Sony are clearly waiting until their next showcase whenever that may be to announce the release date, the aren't randomly going to drop it on twitter regardless of the anniversary. It'll be announced in the next couple of months, come out end of the year.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

This discussion is so tiring. Just prepare the crow and set the timer for later this year.

Good enough for me not to have any doubts about Ragnarok coming this year. Obviously something may change that, but nothing like that has happened yet it seems like.