• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She's a terrible person and always has been, and I say this as someone who loves the Live Through This and Celebrity Skin albums. I just wish she hadn't been a useless has-been for the last 25 years and actually followed those up with anything decent. I guess it's hard when you can't get Billy Corgan when he was shit-hot to write half your album for you again.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I remember when I was a teen and all of the try hard people would always bitch about how they didn't listen to that fake Justin and Brittney teeny bopper CRAP! They listened to REAL music. It came off as hilarious and cringe then, and it still does now.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who listens to a ton of musics and Artists, she sounds very reasonable and not really hateful at all in the twitter posts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Courtney, they're coming.
giphy.gif

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Her take on Swift isn't wrong, but it seems kinda petty coming from a has-been like her.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I was a teen and all of the try hard people would always bitch about how they didn't listen to that fake Justin and Brittney teeny bopper CRAP! They listened to REAL music. It came off as hilarious and cringe then, and it still does now.
Yeah. I was in danger of being like that when I was 13 and I read all the music mags, got all snobby and talked shit. I'm so fucking happy I quickly grew out of it and just enjoyed things if I liked them, no matter what they were. Such a better way to live.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This was definitely me, I wish I had a more mature take back then. For me it wasn't so much that they weren't talented to do what they did, or good singers, I would have conceded either, it was moreso that they weren't writing their own songs or playing instruments, or in some cases using playback to focus more on dancing. I think I do still have just a smidge more respect for artists that do those things knowing how hard those things are to do well, just a smidge though

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
As an old person that hates Madonna, knows 2 Taylor Swift songs and has no idea who the fuck Lana Del Ray is, these are all completely acceptable opinions.

Also Live Through This is amazing so she gets to say whatever she wants.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
These are the least offensive ways to say "I don't like this" that I've ever seen. Which is wild considering it's fucking Courtney Love. I don't really get the hostile responses.

And I mean, outside of Lana Del Rey, who I just don't follow in general so I don't get the problem she has with her, she's not really wrong with any of them. It's disingenuous to say that country music hasn't historically been hostile to black woman artists, so I get the point she's trying to make. Madonna is, well, whatever, her and Courtney's beef is old news. And there's so many more interesting and important artists than Taylor Swift (who's essentially just a remnant of pre-fragmented monoculture that aging white women hold up as an effigy to childhood formative experiences). In female fronted pop alone you have Charli, Rina, Let's Eat Grandma, PinkPantheress, Empress Of, Kesha, Billie Eilish... hell, even Adele, and Dua Lipa are more interesting from a raw talent perspective alone.

Try Bat For Lashes, Imogen Heap, Holiday Sidewinder (specifically the album Face of God), maybe even Björk? Not really to my taste usually so I can't go much further in depth, but I've skipped over so many songs that sound like the song you linked that they certainly aren't hard to come by.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
She can have her opinions, I mean she does sound like an asshole. At the same time, I think this is better then those general compliments that don't actually say anything.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why these mild takes from Courtney are generating headlines or interest.

This is who Courtney is and always has been for as long as I've known of her as a celebrity.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I know i'm showing my age here, but I didn't even know she was a musician herself

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beyoncé going to read this, get super upset in her most expensive house in California ever, and then shrug.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
People calling her a 'hater,' but there's honestly little 'hate' here. It's just like her giving a basic opinion, and it's fine. Outside the Beyoncé one which is fairly ignorant. If this is what passes as 'hate' nowadays, boy, that's sad

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Courtney Love is from the grunge movement, alternative rock, punk, all of that, what do you expect her to think of more commercial music?
And as someone who warned women about Harvey Weinstein before it was "cool", she's not someone who cares about treading lightly and not offending.

So... person is being person, having opinions about stuff she cares about.

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
People misconstruing their own personal tastes of not liking an artist (Taylor Swift) with her relevancy and importance (very, based on any viable metric). Come on now.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of like her honesty TBH. At least it isn't all PR driven responses other artists give because their image is super duper important to them.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Oh god, this dragged up a 30 year old memory of the whole "Courtney killed Kurt" conspiracy.
My sister took me to a big multi-act concert and Hole was one of the performing bands. They started a song, Courtney missed her moment to come in. She stopped the band, screamed at them, then started over. Fucking mess.

She's right about Taylor Swift's music, but wrong about the Madonna thing.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
It's ok to have and share opinions.

I hate Courtney Love. Don't care about Taylor Swift's music at all. Madonna and Beyoncé are a mixed bag, but have some great songs. I like Lana del Rey.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Try Bat For Lashes, Imogen Heap, Holiday Sidewinder (specifically the album Face of God), maybe even Björk? Not really to my taste usually so I can't go much further in depth, but I've skipped over so many songs that sound like the song you linked that they certainly aren't hard to come by.
Thanks (genuinely) for the nice recommendations, but these aren't electro I don't think.

Edit: Holiday Sidewinder fits, cool.
Edit2: Maybe more Lana del Rey than Taylor Swift

This reminds me of dream/softer electro pop from the middle 10's, you should try things like Beach House, but also.... this is giving me M83 vibes for some reason.
This fits better yeah. Adding new people to my playlist.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Color me shocked that Courtney Love doesn't like people for arbitrary, pretty, and likely self-absorbed reasons.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
lol of course, pure Courtney love

I wouldn't think too much about it in either direction

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
That's not surprising at all. I'm pretty sure Courtney did an interview in like 1995 where she was already talking about how she didn't like Madonna and so on. This is like a natural progression for her lol.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's because she has a BBC Radio / BBC Sounds show coming out about the women in music that influenced her.

and she's hugely influential in pop and rock music to this day. there was the Olivia Rodrigo spat with her copying the cover of Live Through This, loads of women that are big in current alt-rock directly cite her as an influence.... Pitchfork recently ranked Live Through This over Nevermind in their top 90s redo....

there is zero way she doesn't know who she is lol

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
Well someone's bitter about the passage of time. It's 2024 - who cares about Courtney Love's opinion?

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
It's weird how people today think that anything that isn't completely over the top praise must come from a place of visceral hatred. It is easy to see why an artist like Courtney Love would have 0 interest in Taylor Swift

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's telling that the most anyone has thought about Courtney Love in the past five years has been when she has hot takes about much more successful artists. Not a good look, but do what you gotta do I guess

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
and she's hugely influential in pop and rock music to this day. there was the Olivia Rodrigo spat with her copying the cover of Live Through This, loads of women that are big in current alt-rock directly cite her as an influence.... Pitchfork recently ranked Live Through This over Nevermind in their top 90s redo....

Oh for sure, that's why she has the upcoming radio show to begin with. It's just that these specific sound bites are promotion for that specific show where she's going through her own influences.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Not everyone has to like the same things.

I also don't get the Taylor Swift mania. Her music is so generic.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

I know…but ya know

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Thanks (genuinely) for the nice recommendations, but these aren't electro I don't think.

Edit: Holiday Sidewinder fits, cool.
Edit2: Maybe more Lana del Rey than Taylor Swift
Maybe try Indiana if it's the specifically the synths that you want, though the tone of her stuff is a lot darker. Some early Gunship if you don't mind male vocalists (Kitsune from the self-titled album has a similar feel).

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
And now you have those people saying those acts were all high art and were changing the game because they showed how to build a lasting brand or some monetary reason/longevity. They are relevant to people's lives which is cool but it feels like things have gone cringe in the other direction.

10 years from now people will be talking about how Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC (white rip-offs of Boyz II Men) were great artists. If anything their cultural impact was negative despite how large they were in the marketplace of art. Every act I mentioned has made good music.

It's amusing to read others in music accurately knock cultural totems down a peg or two when it is deserved. The market may decide Blood Sweat & Tears was more important than Big Star, but I don't have to agree with it!