• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'll throw my hat in the ring if that's OK.

It's very, very good. New physics take some getting used to. Slide jump no longer carries much momentum, so it goes unused for the most part. I found myself doing it out of muscle memory more than anything. Once you get used to the physics, though, it all clicks. Masks make for fun challenges and I'm excited to see more levels. It felt 60fps to me.

Does this game also have the huge deadzone from the N'Sane Trilogy? I hated that shit so much.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Is this the start-up sequence?
Like, it's cute and charming n' all that, but I gotta admit that I'm a little disappointed that we might not be getting a start up sequence like Crash 2 or 3's :

Like, bruh, this never fails to hype me up even after all these years. I'm about to bust out the PS1 lol

As much as I loved the NST, was bummed they didn't remake these.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is this the start-up sequence?
Like, it's cute and charming n' all that, but I gotta admit that I'm a little disappointed that we might not be getting a start up sequence like Crash 2 or 3's :

Like, bruh, this never fails to hype me up even after all these years. I'm about to bust out the PS1 lol

My people. Those intro sequences became such an iconic piece of the Crash experience for me back in the day; the smooth Clancy Brown vocals, the game-specific renditions of the theme, the bombastic animated logos. I missed them in the N.Sane Trilogy, and I'm still holding out a little hope that they're somehow represented in 4.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
image0.jpg

image0.jpg

4pm BST is 1am September 17th here :(

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I pre-ordered on my NZ account, and while they claim the demo releases on the 16th worldwide... in NZ and Australia it's actually the 17th.

Nov 13, 2017
Could have sworn I saw a video without it, meaning it's an option to disable.
Please tell me you can turn off the terrible yellow circle under Crash.

Other than that, this looks phenomenal.

There isn't an option in the demo, and honestly, you'll want to leave it on. If you're a completionist, some of the jumps you need to make for boxes are really risky and that circle helps so so much. I thought I'd hate it, but it's very useful. Maybe you can turn it off in the final game, though.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't an option in the demo, and honestly, you'll want to leave it on. If you're a completionist, some of the jumps you need to make for boxes are really risky and that circle helps so so much. I thought I'd hate it, but it's very useful. Maybe you can turn it off in the final game, though.
I probably just imagined the option being there. Kind of sucks players aren't given a choice, but I'm ok with it, personally.

OP
OP
DeliciousSunnyD!
Oct 31, 2017
I think there is an ability to turn off the drop shadow highlight in the final game, but I'm not 100%. I've seen it mentioned around.

At first, I hated how it looked too, but after watching a ton more footage and seeing the level of challenge/precision required in just the demo alone (which is apparently around halfway through the game) makes me think the highlight will become more appreciated by more people.

If there's one thing I wish they'd change, or at least toggle, it's Aku-Aku swirling around the characters like in CTR. It looks goofy as hell to me and I really hope this isn't how it is in the final game, even if it's a nitpick/not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. It's also strange because there's an officially released screenshot of the game where Crash is grinding on a rail and he is following beside him like in the original games.

Nov 13, 2017
I think there is an ability to turn off the drop shadow highlight in the final game, but I'm not 100%. I've seen it mentioned around.

At first, I hated how it looked too, but after watching a ton more footage and seeing the level of challenge/precision required in just the demo alone (which is apparently around halfway through the game) makes me think the highlight will become more appreciated by more people.

If there's one thing I wish they'd change, or at least toggle, it's Aku-Aku swirling around the characters like in CTR. It looks goofy as hell to me and I really hope this isn't how it is in the final game, even if it's a nitpick/not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. It's also strange because there's an officially released screenshot of the game where Crash is grinding on a rail and rail is following beside him like in the original games.

Maybe he goes to the side for the rail parts only? The demo has a level with some rails, but no Aku Aku at that point. Actually, I could probably test this by dying a bunch of times and getting the pity mask. I'll try it out!

EDIT: Nope, still spins around you. Also, in case anyone is wondering, you can get the 3-mask power up by dying a bunch in Ship Happens, getting a double pity mask, and then getting one out of a box. It looks pretty good!

OP
OP
DeliciousSunnyD!
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe he goes to the side for the rail parts only? The demo has a level with some rails, but no Aku Aku at that point. Actually, I could probably test this by dying a bunch of times and getting the pity mask. I'll try it out!
I need to check your video you linked. I've been watching as many playthroughs as I can lol.

Here's the official screenshot I was referring to:
This shot made me think the Aku-Aku effect we've seen in all of the footage they've released and in the demo was just a placeholder effect, but since the most recently updated version of the game with this demo also keeps the same effect, I'm not so sure.

Nov 13, 2017
I need to check your video you linked. I've been watching as many playthroughs as I can lol.

Here's the official screenshot I was referring to:

This shot made me think the Aku-Aku effect we've seen in all of the footage they've released and in the demo was just a placeholder effect, but since the most recently updated version of the game with this demo also keeps the same effect, I'm not so sure.

Ahhhh that's more of a key art than a screenshot. Still, definitely evokes what Aku-Aku used to do. I wonder if they'll add that into Retro mode or something, because right now, the only difference is you have lives like in the original games.

OP
OP
DeliciousSunnyD!
Oct 31, 2017
Ahhhh that's more of a key art than a screenshot. Still, definitely evokes what Aku-Aku used to do. I wonder if they'll add that into Retro mode or something, because right now, the only difference is you have lives like in the original games.
I'm not sure if it's key art or an actual "in game" screenshot honestly now that you say that.

With respect to his effect based on mode, I doubt they'd do that. I suspect they made Aku-Aku twirl around the characters like CTR because of how detailed and colorful the screen and environments are, and how snappy characters look to move. This way, it's very obvious when the player has extra hits at a glance, kind of like the addition of the drop shadow highlight. If it's a decision for visibility, I can understand somewhat, but I still would be a bit bummed just cause I don't particularly care for how it looks (and I think this is a common attitude).

They changed the Nitro crates back to their more traditional "NITRO" spelling look, and I'd actually came around to the simple yellow "N" on the crates. That was one alteration that I reflexively didn't care for at first, quickly came around on, and then when I was happy with it they decided to revert it haha.

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not sure if it's key art or an actual "in game" screenshot honestly now that you say that.

With respect to his effect based on mode, I doubt they'd do that. I suspect they made Aku-Aku twirl around the characters like CTR because of how detailed and colorful the screen and environments are, and how snappy characters look to move. This way, it's very obvious when the player has extra hits at a glance, kind of like the addition of the drop shadow highlight. If it's a decision for visibility, I can understand somewhat, but I still would be a bit bummed just cause I don't particularly care for how it looks (and I think this is a common attitude).

They changed the Nitro crates back to their more traditional "NITRO" spelling look, and I'd actually came around to the simple yellow "N" on the crates. That was one alteration that I reflexively didn't care for at first, quickly came around on, and then when I was happy with it they decided to revert it haha.

Hahah I never noticed the Nitro change and revert. I am VERY happy to report that those no longer jump 10 feet in the air at random like they did in N. Sane Trilogy. They still hop up and down, but at a consistent height. Also, when you slow time down, they act as bounce boxes, which is terrifying.

Oct 27, 2017
My people. Those intro sequences became such an iconic piece of the Crash experience for me back in the day; the smooth Clancy Brown vocals, the game-specific renditions of the theme, the bombastic animated logos. I missed them in the N.Sane Trilogy, and I'm still holding out a little hope that they're somehow represented in 4.
Fully agreed.

OP
OP
DeliciousSunnyD!
Oct 31, 2017
Hahah I never noticed the Nitro change and revert. I am VERY happy to report that those no longer jump 10 feet in the air at random like they did in N. Sane Trilogy. They still hop up and down, but at a consistent height. Also, when you slow time down, they act as bounce boxes, which is terrifying.
Yeah, I've been watching all of the footage pretty closely, because this might actually be my most desired game out of any I could have dreamed of from like 2000 on. This, RE2 remake and FFVII remake all were pretty high up there, but this might be my number 1 dream game from 2000+. The fact that it looks very faithful to the original games in both their style and gameplay, yet it still being its own new thing/identity too looks great. It definitely puts Wrath of Cortex to shame that much is certain, even judging by just video.

And I love the idea of this being a difficult Crash game, and possibly the most difficult, since I think the original Crash Bandicoot and its difficulty is the best. It actually excites me a lot that it seems like they really looked hard at the original game in making this one, which is precisely what I've desired basically since Warped even.

And with regard to the talk about the animated title sequence intros for Cortex Strikes Back and Warped, I thought they were good too. And agree that they were missing from the remakes and it was a bummer. Honestly, I thought the N. Sane Trilogy was OK and I've even played it multiple times, but I still don't think it can really replace those original games, even aesthetically.

Apr 19, 2018
So is a review embargo expected to lift soon this week?

I've got the game on pre-order but definitely looking forward to seeing how it fares.

Oct 27, 2017
So is a review embargo expected to lift soon this week?

I've got the game on pre-order but definitely looking forward to seeing how it fares.
Same here.
From everything I've seen so far (which looks fantastic and largely respectful of the classic PS1 trilogy's legacy) and the various impressions of the game that I've watched/read I'm predicting a metascore between 85-88 for this game.
I think it'll review great but get dinged for depth perception issues and maybe the difficulty.
Though with the latter point I'm not so sure...DKC: Tropical Freeze reviewed better on Switch than it did in 2014 (83 vs 86), but that might've been due to Funky Mode (lol), and Cuphead didn't really get dinged for difficulty from what I remember despite being a demanding retro-style platformer-ish game.
I'm crossing my fingers for the best!