• Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
With 93.60% reporting (278/297 precincts) and 288,400 votes counted, we've surpassed 2008's total of 287,527.

Fuck yeah.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it would, I think people in the Democratic party hate Trump enough that they would vote just about anyone over him. That is THE reason why Bloomberg is even being talked about right now and he has identified it.
Bloomberg and Biden are the two candidates with strong potential to lose to Trump I think. Both of them are uninspiring and depressing. Though Biden I give 50/50 odds at least. Bloomberg would lose to Trump. And even if he won he would be a loss for America.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"I'd rather my president be more civil in his awfulness. Also, being psychotic only means behaving brashly and rudely in my made-up dictionary."

Yeah, no, that's a terrible argument.

I just said in the other thread that anyone giving even tepid support to Bloomberg at this stage is basically admitting they care more for decorum than humanity and I guess it needs to be said here too.

Oct 26, 2017
So while it's good to keep an eye on Bloomberg, I don't see the need in comparing him to Trump when he's not even close to being the nominee yet. I'd rather be more optimistic.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Klobuchar: 'We need to build a big tent' for anti-abortion Democrats

thehill.com

Klobuchar: ‘We need to build a big tent’ for anti-abortion Democrats

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) on Tuesday said that the Democratic Party should be a “big tent” for people of different beliefs, including those …

"There are pro-life Democrats, and they are part of our party, and I think we need to build a big tent," she said.

"I think we need to bring people in instead of shutting them out."

According to a Kaiser Family Foundation poll conducted in December, 15 percent of Democrats surveyed consider themselves "pro-life" while 84 percent said they are "pro-choice."

just... lol

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

thehill.com

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) on Tuesday said that the Democratic Party should be a “big tent” for people of different beliefs, including those …

just... lol

The Dems tried this in the past and it never fails to get women to stay home.

Some of the most dedicated volunteers and staff I've met were women, disproportionately so. Letting anti abortion flourish would be a death sentence.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
With 93.60% reporting (278/297 precincts) and 288,400 votes counted, we've surpassed 2008's total of 287,527.

Fuck yeah.

This is why we should stop freaking out about super early numbers. It's a good sign, shows people are fired up about beating Trump.

thehill.com

just... lol

Yeah, good luck with that.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone remind me why you're all talking about Bloomberg like he won when there's still three weeks before anyone can even cast a ballot for him.

It's like you all insist on stressing yourselves out over shit that hasn't and probably won't actually happen. The 'dems in disarray' narrative really getting you in disarray.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

thehill.com

just... lol
You will never hear this argument from Republicans - Democrats should stop compromising and negotiating against themselves.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

thehill.com

just... lol

Jesus, already with the compromise bullshitL

See, this is why going on Fox News and delivering your unadulterated message (see Sanders) is called successfully reaching across the aisles and why this move is called compromising your progressive message. The former is good, the latter is bad.

[EDIT] How pathetic is it that you feel the need to water down your platform within your own party, let alone the other side?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

thehill.com

just... lol
She really is the worst candidate not named Bloomberg that could actually win this thing holy shit.

How did we go from Castro, Beto, Booker, Harris and Warren to fucking Klobuchar and Buttigieg. Jesus.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus, already with the compromise bullshitL

See, this is why going on Fox News and delivering your unadulterated message (see Sanders) is called successfully reaching across the aisles and why this move is called compromising your progressive message. The former is good, the latter is bad.
Amy isn't a progressive tho

Oct 25, 2017
Someone remind me why you're all talking about Bloomberg like he won when there's still three weeks before anyone can even cast a ballot for him.

It's like you all insist on stressing yourselves out over shit that hasn't and probably won't actually happen. The 'dems in disarray' narrative really getting you in disarray.

Proactive vs Reactive? Never hurts to be prepared.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Polls and he has unlimited money

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just said in the other thread that anyone giving even tepid support to Bloomberg at this stage is basically admitting they care more for decorum than humanity and I guess it needs to be said here too.

100% this

If you're already at the point where you're trying to rationalize how Bloomberg wouldn't be that bad, you don't care about people. Full stop. If you're giving even a sliver of energy to telling people why they might need to vote for Bloomberg in the general, that's disgusting.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She really is the worst candidate not named Bloomberg that could actually win this thing holy shit.

How did we go from Castro, Beto, Booker, Harris and Warren to fucking Klobuchar and Buttigieg. Jesus.
This is what I'm wondering right now. Like, holy fuck, I wasn't expecting a great candidate out of this shit but we really filtered down to the worst.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because people are already putting on the capes and going "well actually he wouldn't be that bad, and all that matters is beating Trump anyway"

Fuck them. Bloomberg is every bit as malignant as Trump both in the short and long-term.

It is a moral imperative that we demand better and that we do better, and that we do not lend our energy to minimizing evil.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is what I'm wondering right now. Like, holy fuck, I wasn't expecting a great candidate out of this shit but we really filtered down to the worst.

Everyone supporting progressive values went to Bernie when the more progressive candidates who weren't Bernie wouldn't full-throated support medicare for all. everyone else just wants a fucking horse race

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
While I have serious doubts about Biden's mental acuity, even he is a step ahead of Amy when it comes to policy.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone went to Bernie when the more progressive folks who weren't Bernie wouldn't full-throated support medicare for all
Everyone didn't go to Bernie as the non-Bernie second choicers far outvote Bernie. Bernie's path to victory at this instant is a divided field swapping between flavor of the week candidates.
While I have serious doubts about Biden's mental acuity, even he is a step ahead of Amy when it comes to policy.
Ye-up.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why does it feel like there's a ton of closet conservatives in the Democrat party? Like......if someone wanted to vote for a conservative they'd already be a Trump supporter.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why does it feel like there's a ton of closet conservatives in the Democrat party? Like......if someone wanted to vote for a conservative they'd already be a Trump supporter.
There are tons of conservatives everywhere. The US in general is a conservative country. While there are a good amount of liberals/progressives which are typically found in the Democratic party, there are also a number of conservatives too among all demographic groups.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the majority of those who did so would lose their seat the next time it comes up as a consequence. Like I said- he holds the party hostage.

The circumstances don't matter. Any legal challenge to the authenticity of the election results will be expedited like it was in 2000 in order to ensure a timely transfer of power. The newly elected President has the secret service and the military at his/her disposal as of January 20th, 2021. The end.

People need to stop worrying about this and worry instead how to deal with the billion+ dollar online disinformation campaign that's already underway to re-elect Trump, without mentioning what Russia is doing/will do and the usual ratfuckery we'll see at the local level in attempts to suppress minority votes and muddle the results. If we clear those hurdles, then we can worry about whether the capitol police, secret service, or the army gets to drag him out of the WH.

A hostage can look like they are complying with the hostage-taker and still do it in a cautious manner. These Republicans have laid their necks of the chopping block for Trump in a way that suggests more than fear of his wrath, even if that wrath compels some form of allegiance. Perhaps you view the party differently than I but I don't see Trump as an anomaly but rather as the natural coalescence of the GOP's decades of Right Wing ideology predicated heavily on their embrace of the Evangelical voting bloc, which subsequently ensures all sorts of bigotry and restrictive social policy in trying to deliver these voters their much-desired theocracy.

And again, I think it highly unlikely that Trump would actually try and stay if he lost the election and even more unlikely is the GOP backing such an egregious misstep but my point remains that I would never – after everything that has transpired – entirely discount the possibility, however remote.

For me personally, the last three years have been a successive timeline of things I thought would never happen.

Also – and I say this with respect as you seem like an intelligent political ally – I can multitask.

I can worry about something like this – even if we agree it's unlikely – and focus on the more immediate issues at hand.

Regardless, I appreciate you taking the time to converse and I maintain that I sincerely hope you're right.

Feel free to launch an I TOLD YOU SO PM in January. :)

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Maybe not closet conservatives, but there are those that are conservative of the old realizing the current GOP is not the conservative views they once were and are likely voting right most democrat.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of moderate, professional Republicans who don't care too much about social issues but like capitalism jumped to the Dems, just like a bunch of racist white supremacist Dems who like government spending (but just for them) jumped to the GOP. The alignment started after the CRA and led to the destruction of the Rockefeller Republicans and Dixiecrats.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The US system historically has been very skewed to the right relative to say many western European countries...moderates is a nice name for neoliberals I suppose who are pretty economically conservative.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Red scare propaganda and anti-labor government has squashed the American left for most of the last 100 years. It's only recently it's coming back.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
EQjQujmXkAMaxT8

Interesting chart from poliera, apparently based on the locations of SDEs/turnout. Seems like the nonvoters did turn out, but not for Bernie.

Why are you making this excuse? Did you know that one of the reasons, among many, Trump got elected is because black people didn't turn out in the numbers to vote for Hillary like they did for Obama? Does that somehow justify Trump being elected because they didn't want to vote for someone who called black people super predators and had slaves? No it doesn't, not at all. Yes, SOME black people would have had to vote for Bloomberg if he got the nomination. That doesn't mean it would be okay to elect a racist who destroyed black communities using what he described as his own private army. You're acting like just because he gets 30% of the black vote then Bloomberg gets a pass, you know some black people voted for Trump also, it doesn't give him a pass.
I'm not talking about some percentage black support of Bloomberg, the only way Bloomberg wins the nom is if the majority of his support is black. I don't think Bloomberg is gonna win the nom however.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
You can't timestamp a livestream but you can see the woman walk onstage at ~35:45. They cut the mic REAL quick.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EQjQujmXkAMaxT8

Interesting chart from poliera, apparently based on the locations of SDEs/turnout. Seems like the nonvoters did turn out, but not for Bernie.

If they were non-voters in 2016 but splitting among moderates now, then presumably they are primarily motivated not by any particular ideology or policy but by beating Trump, and they want to vote for someone who they view as "least scary".

Bernie needs to start positioning himself as THE anti-Trump.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Because the parties have been realiging pretty hard over the last 40 years.

There are plenty of urban pro-business voters that have left the GOP since the 80s. The old "Rockefeller Republican" who was pro-civil rights, pro-LGBT rights and often pro-Union.

I'm going to oversimplify things a bit here, but as the parties have become more homogenized in viewpoints it's created a weird rub.

Democrats tend to be socially progressive and economically progressive.

Republicans tend to be socially shitbags and economically conservative.

So you wound up with people who may be more economically conservative than the party at large but who were socially very liberal who lived in large cities and would vote for more pro-business Dems. See: New York City.

Post-Trump this has accelerated because on-top of being socially shitbags the Republican party has become populist which means lots of moderate Rs who live in urban and suburban environments have been left without a party that they really want to support.

When in an internet bubble like era you are in a more hardline progressive forum where most people tend to be demographically similar and you start thinking the party as a whole looks like your peer group. The United States is a pretty conservative country, and the Dem party needs conservative voters to win elections.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
If they were non-voters in 2016 but splitting among moderates now, then presumably the underlying factor here is that they are people primarily motivated not by any particular ideology or policy but by beating Trump, and they want to vote for someone who they view as "least scary".

Bernie needs to start positioning himself as THE anti-Trump.

Or these were never-Trump Rs who are considering flipping D and want a moderate D to win the primary.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what makes Bloomberg an especially awful proposition?

If he is nominated, and if he wins the GE... He can run again in 2024. As the default Democratic candidate even. With a high chance to win as the incumbent.

The worst case scenario with Trump is 4 more years.

I would never vote for either of those clowns. Just giving some more food for thought to the BetterBloombergThanTrump here.

With that said, it's not over yet. Go Bernie!

Status
Not open for further replies.