• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Another question about my bugged game(save?). When you start a new game, does all the other chapters on chapter select disappear? Because I can still see them.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game it was awesome! Your decisions really did matter and it was so intense! My favorite game of the year which dethroned God of War.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Detroit probably has the best fight choreography I've ever seen in a game and I'm glad I experienced some of it in my first playthrough, actually makes QTEs exciting. Honestly better than a lot you find in film and it often approaches badass John Wick levels. They really have their mocap locked down at this point. Also dig how long some of these fights are
riotfightf3qq8.gif

Last edited:

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
well
Detroit probably has the best fight choreography I've ever seen in a game and I'm glad I experienced some of it in my first playthrough, actually makes QTEs exciting. Honestly better than a lot you find in film and it often approaches badass John Wick levels. They really have their mocap locked down at this point. Also dig how long some of these fights are

Hey that's a spoiler,i didn't saw this scene before :p

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

riotfightf3qq8.gif
It also has the best chase scene
F9iwlk6.gif

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017

riotfightf3qq8.gif

Detroit has the best implementation of QTEs I've seen yet. Someone earlier in the thread said it felt akin to a rhythm game at times and I have to agree.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Detroit has the best implementation of QTEs I've seen yet. Someone earlier in the thread said it felt akin to a rhythm game at times and I have to agree.
Yeah. They started this with Heavy Rain and continued it beautifully here. Really feels like you are playing an action film. The best part is indeed that everything has a rhythm to it and often you can anticipate the prompts. Whenever a gun is involved it is always R1 to shoot like you would expect, R2 when the character does a kick with his right leg, L2 for left leg. The arrows usually make sense with the motion the character is performing and so on. They put thought into them and didn't just let a randomiser decide the prompts. Until Dawn feels exactly like the latter approach

Oct 27, 2017
Did i just lose Conner?

Investigating the tv tower with Detective and interrogating the androids. The deviant goes rogue and grabs the gun and starts shooting everyone and i have a split second to choose, and i chose 'Save Det Anderson', thinking i would just dive and shove him out of the way, and it looks like that while doing that Conner was shot to death..?? Pretty fkn lame if so. I know the game says you could lose a character at any time, but that was very anticlimatic if i truly lost Conner now after making it this far....

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did i just lose Conner?

Investigating the tv tower with Detective and interrogating the androids. The deviant goes rogue and grabs the gun and starts shooting everyone and i have a split second to choose, and i chose 'Save Det Anderson', thinking i would just dive and shove him out of the way, and it looks like that while doing that Conner was shot to death..?? Pretty fkn lame if so. I know the game says you could lose a character at any time, but that was very anticlimatic if i truly lost Conner now after making it this far....

Yes and no. Depends on how you look at it. Keep playing.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Did i just lose Conner?

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Started playing this game last night and enjoying it so far but I feel like I'm fucking up every decision I make :(

Also as someone who grew up in Detroit/ still lives in the metro Detroit area this game is more interesting lol

Like I just got to Ferndale and I was like wtf I had lunch there just last week lmao. Nice to see such a small town like Ferndale get noticed in the media :D

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I think a big step forward would be getting rid of QTEs entirely for the next project :) .

You see how amazing the chase scenes are ? They are so cool because you're in control and you decide what to do.

Do that for action scenes. Come up with a control layout (square = melee , circle = dodge , triangle = contextual action with elements near you etc...) and control the action scenes directly.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
riotfightf3qq8.gif

Yep, the choreography is good, like better than 90% of big blockbuster movies good. Hell, even the acting is better in the game than in most movies.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
I think a big step forward would be getting rid of QTEs entirely for the next project :) .

You see how amazing the chase scenes are ? They are so cool because you're in control and you decide what to do.

Do that for action scenes. Come up with a control layout (square = melee , circle = dodge , triangle = contextual action with elements near you etc...) and control the action scenes directly.

QD are constantly introducing new gameplay elements in their games, so it wouldn't surprise me if they implemented something like that in their next project. They've come a long way since the "Simon Says" QTEs in Fahrenheit. Beyond was a step backwards, though. Fuck knows what they were trying to do there.

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
Started playing Beyond Two Souls for the first time last night and am enjoying quite a bit, By the end of this playthrough Heavy Rain might end up being my least favorite David Cage Playstation game.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
XD, I guess we'll see. I gotta say, the graphics are awesome, it honestly look better than a bunch of current gen games.

yeah,it's still impressive.
I still think the game is better than Heavy Rain.The writing is a bit better.But the script....isn't very good.
But there are some cool chapters.And the music is great.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Started playing this game last night and enjoying it so far but I feel like I'm fucking up every decision I make :(

Also as someone who grew up in Detroit/ still lives in the metro Detroit area this game is more interesting lol

Like I just got to Ferndale and I was like wtf I had lunch there just last week lmao. Nice to see such a small town like Ferndale get noticed in the media :D
Ferndale looked nice in the game so that's cool :D

yeah that's not the best way to play the game.
It seems she enjoyed it though so more power to her

If they tried to do something like this again it would need a lot of iteration time. The attempt they made in Beyond to make them invisible was quite novel but didn't really work. Confused a lot of players and honestly only using 4 buttons/directions vs. the entire controller felt way less exciting. I'm personally fine with keeping the QTEs for the epic showdowns and letting their increased gameplay department figure out cool direct gameplay for the other stuff like chase scenes

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Beyond was a step backwards, though. Fuck knows what they were trying to do there.
Since I have a lot of knowledge about Quantic Dream I guess I can finally put some context to this. After reading a lot of post-mortem material it was a lack of time more than anything. Sony simply wasn't going to allow it to come out after the PS4 release so instead of switching gears to PS4 it had to be rushed hard for October 2013. QD wasn't really used to that short of a dev cycle so they had basically no pre-production to figure anything out.

So initially the entire gameplay and prompts were copied over verbatim from Heavy Rain with no changes and they tried to fit the game around it. Every first iteration on something critical was usually kept immediately since there was no time to keep changing stuff. Many scenes were simply cut from the script that were deemed the least integral to the plot to be able to make the release date. It's not as obvious in the final game since everything is told out of order anyway, but critical development like between Ryan and Jodie was supposedly found in those chapters that were left on the cutting room floor.

Due the way QD produces their games, it is hard to make big changes to the script mid development even if you notice stuff is not going to work the way you thought while it was written, which basically always happens.
This inflexibility really raised its ugly head in Beyond combined with the hard deadline. They absolutely had to stick to the script even if it turned out some things were not going to be great. No time to change it or account for the cut chapters in any way.

This also affected Heavy Rain in a way, but the gameplay got all the iteration time it needed. In Beyond there were massive cuts on every front.

Now from what I heard Detroit was actually supposed to come out earlier as well, but Sony granted them extensions this time around. Together with the new writers the extra time was used to actually change big chunks of the script as they saw fit during development to account for new challenges and observations. It's the first time they have done it this way and it honestly shows that they were a lot more flexible this time around to change stuff that didn't work without outright ripping out entire important chapters.

From what I was told Detroit was still kinda rushed as a result from all of this and some things couldn't be fleshed out as much as they wanted (I can't name specifics here, but you can likely guess a few). It seems they have their new approach figured out now and will be able to get even better from here with the new writers already settled into the studio from the very beginning of development for their next title.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ferndale looked nice in the game so that's cool :D

It seems she enjoyed it though so more power to her

If they tried to do something like this again it would need a lot of iteration time. The attempt they made in Beyond to make them invisible was quite novel but didn't really work. Confused a lot of players and honestly only using 4 buttons/directions vs. the entire controller felt way less exciting. I'm personally fine with keeping the QTEs for the epic showdowns and letting their increased gameplay department figure out cool direct gameplay for the other stuff like chase scenes

Well, no.

I want the "epic showdowns" to be playable. Look at how mind blowing Uncharted 4 intertwined its crazy cinematics to gameplay flawlessly, it felt like you were always playing. I don't want to just see the characters do things on their own and me having to press an arbitrary button to be honest. There could still be cinematics triggered by contextual actions of course but I'd like more control.

I thought the chase scenes in Detroit were brilliant because of the direct control while looking phenomenal still and having smart cinematics in between.

Some games have experimented with that before, As I said, I think Detroit's formula is already good enough to keep outside of the action scenes bar chases. Some people want a "more open" world and I think that can be a dead idea if it's the main goal, as it's quality vs quantity, but I trust QD would do a good job fleshing it out.

But I'd be okay with something like Deadly Premonition in terms of size.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that Waypoint article thread is just annoying. People who didn't even play the game are chiming in like they know what happens. Fucking hate that shit. Massive paragraphs of shit posting, imo.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yep, the choreography is good, like better than 90% of big blockbuster movies good. Hell, even the acting is better in the game than in most movies.
True enough. I really don't know how you can walk away from this game not being impressed with a lot of it provided you can simply accept it as a very well done blockbuster without over analyzing every single image for some deeper meaning.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, that Waypoint article thread is just annoying. People who didn't even play the game are chiming in like they know what happens. Fucking hate that shit. Massive paragraphs of shit posting, imo.

This is certainly the first game where I've felt like I'm being shamed for liking it.

Seeing all the comments from other women and minorities being ignored in the Kotaku thread was bad enough, but it seems that the only ones that are considered valid are the ones criticizing the game. It's frustrating.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's some guy in there that hasn't even played the game and trying to weigh in. The whole thing is absurdist in nature. I wouldn't personally try to weigh in on something if I had no experience with it.

Haters gonna hate

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't know how you can walk away from this game not being impressed with a lot of it provided you can simply accept it as a very well done blockbuster without over analyzing every single image for some deeper meaning.

Why limit yourself? The deeper meanings in Detroit hold up very well. A lot of thought has obviously gone into the setting, and while it has a lot of fast action and the more obvious storyline will keep you entertained even on a short attention span, there are lots and lots of little things that could be analyzed once the launch fervor begins to calm down a little.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This is certainly the first game where I've felt like I'm being shamed for liking it.

Seeing all the comments from other women and minorities being ignored in the Kotaku thread was bad enough, but it seems that the only ones that are considered valid are the ones criticizing the game. It's frustrating.
It's best to ignore them. It is a very toxic and loud minority. And they will get louder and nastier the better the game is, because its success will induce more salt and as a result they need to try even harder to put it down. If it were a middling game to begin with there would be no reason to even bother after the initial phase of schadenfreude. All the positive comments from the people involved, women, minorities, other players and the broader public tells you it is absolutely valid to love this game

Ventara

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Recently finished the game and I absolutely loved it! Better than Heavy Rain, imo, which I also really enjoyed. The story was captivating, and the QTE were hood, except for the gyro stuff.

I ended up failing here right at the end. Connor didn't make it in time to the device and ended up shooting Markus, which was just as well as I realized I also screwed up by missing the bus, which locks Luther out of surviving until the end.

Markus was probably my favourite character by the end. Initially it was Connor, but
I found Markus' peaceful protests pretty powerful, and the dude was a hero as he was saving his fellow androids from the human both in Jericho and at the end.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

At least this article confirmed that there is a bias against Cage games, they literally spelled it out that because of his history and allegations they perceived the game differently.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
It's best to ignore them. It is a very toxic and loud minority. And they will get louder and nastier the better the game is, because its success will induce more salt and as a result they need to try even harder to put it down. If it were a middling game to begin with there would be no reason to even bother after the initial phase of schadenfreude. All the positive comments from the people involved, women, minorities, other players and the broader public tells you it is absolutely valid to love this game

You're right. Sorry for changing the subject, had to get it off of my chest.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think about Detroit and I hope to find time and do a different play through. Caught the flu on the way back on the plane and it sucks.

Btw the fan art thread is worth a look in if you guys haven't seen it. Some fun stuff in there

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the sad thing is that no one other than david cage and quantic dream are even attempting to deal with subjects like this. And they get piled on by these critics and gamers who want perfection from artists. especially in a relatively new medium like games. I hate the precedent this sets. As an artist, you have to now avoid all these mines that might offend people, or risk being called a racist, a sexist, or a civil rights or holocaust opportunist. And yet at the same time you cant be too subtle because then these same writers completely miss the point. So now artists arent allowed to use events from our history to tell a story.... I wonder if George R.R Martin was criticized for using historical events to write Cersei's walk of shame or the red wedding.

I look at all the other big name AAA directors and no one is even attempting to tell amazing stories like this. Especially on such a massive scale. Amy Henning pretty much stuck to a summer popcorn blockbuster feel for Uncharted. Neil took some serious risks with a very violent protagonist, but it's still a very personal story about two people. Nothing compared to the epic saga that is Detroit. Cory Barlog and his writers also just focused on a Father Son story instead of taking on the entire cast and themes of Norse Mythology. That leaves guys like Ken Levine and other PC devs who just settle for doing commentary instead of trying to say something. Witcher 3 had so much potential with their hunting of witches storyline but they really didnt have much to say in the end.

To me, all other games feel basic compared to what Detroit tries to do. It tells the story of an entire city. It starts small and keeps getting bigger and bigger in scope. Any other game would have just focused on Kara's story and called it a day. David Cage took the time to show the struggle of pretty much an entire city's android population. Even Conner's segments are designed to cover Androids integrated in different parts of our society. Then you have Marcus taking on the u.s government to lead a real revolution on a scale we just havent seen in video games.

And that's the saddest part of it all, there are several, if not dozens of scenes in this game that i have never seen even attempted in a video game before. i dont want to make this a spoiler post, but we have all played them. these are unique encounters that are both gamey AND cinematic. so often, games just settle for a cutscene to tackle a serious subject. David Cage puts you right in the middle of the situation and allows you make life or death decisions all the while keeping you in control like any good game would.

His games get compared against movies. Not other video games. Because if you compared this to Horizon, God of War, AC Origins, Uncharted 4 and all the other critically acclaimed stories of this gen, it's not even a contest. Detroit does more, and does it better. The acting is sublime, the cutscene direction is pretty much movie quality, the writing is as good as anything on TV, save for maybe westworld, and the cinematography is better than anything in video games or most tv shows. there are like 30 hours of cutscenes in this game and they are all perfectly lit and composed.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
it's interesting to watch again the Detroit :Become Human trailer from 2015.

Detroit is "the World's Forge".It's about automation i think?

it's was a very good teaser/trailer actually.