Oct 26, 2017
So I know displays are different but could someone point me to a good tutorial on color profiles in CSP so the colors don't look like muddy ass when I export?

Edit: Actually I might have spoken too soon. It looks like Discord and Windows photo viewer desaturate images in previews
Basically every program will change the values, temperature, contrast. Even browsers have wildly differing color representation. It's a freaking minefield.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So I just found out that I apparently have Zbrush now in my Maxon One sub lol, and I fancy giving it a go.
Can I get away with a tablet without a screen, or do I sort of need one with a screen lol?

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
I bought a Huion Kamvas 13. The side buttons (all of them) get stuck all the time. When they are stuck, they might trigger weird shortcuts that will do things like merge my layers. So annoying.
I eventually found out that this was an OS issue (Windows). It looked like a hardware issue at the time.
Once I moved to MacOS it never happened again.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So I just found out that I apparently have Zbrush now in my Maxon One sub lol, and I fancy giving it a go.
Can I get away with a tablet without a screen, or do I sort of need one with a screen lol?
When I first started, this was how I learned how to draw. It is doable, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Oct 26, 2017
Many professional digital sculptors actually prefer the pen tablets for sculpting as on a display tablet you tend to get your hand in the way. It's really just a matter of preference, but esp. with sculpting having a display tablet really isn't that crucial.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely.

Highly recommend Michael Pavlovich's intro to Zbrush tutorials on youtube, the UI is not the most intuitive when you first start.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies all, and I'll give those tutorials a look, as I'm kinda unfamiliar with 3D sculpting in general, aside from playing about with I think it was Sculptris years ago, and like 10 minutes with C4D's sculpting tools.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's super fun. I do it just as a hobby. Don't go too deep with Michael Pavlovich. He'll teach you to master the program if you let him. There might be a more concise quick start out there, but if you have the time for it, he's the best I've found. For something much quicker, perhaps the FlippedNormals guys have something much briefer to get your foot in.

Just get to grips with manipulating objects and a few brushes and tools, which is what you'll spend most of your time doing. But it's harder than it sounds when you first start, even if you're usually quite good at learning new programs.

I find it therapeutic but it can be a time sink. It's like playing with clay. Don't need to worry about all that topology.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Art-ERA, I'm looking to expand my Illustrator skills. I have an iPad pro and Apple pencil that work exceptionally well with Procreate, but I've heard that most of the software that allows you to mirror your desktop to your iPad is clunky and laggy. With that in mind, I've been looking into the possibility of acquiring a drawing tablet to fill that gap. Are there any reasonably priced ones I should check out? Trying to keep it to <$350.

Note: being able to see what I'm drawing on would be a huge plus. I don't know how well I'd do drawing on one tool and seeing my drawing on another.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Art-ERA, I'm looking to expand my Illustrator skills. I have an iPad pro and Apple pencil that work exceptionally well with Procreate, but I've heard that most of the software that allows you to mirror your desktop to your iPad is clunky and laggy. With that in mind, I've been looking into the possibility of acquiring a drawing tablet to fill that gap. Are there any reasonably priced ones I should check out? Trying to keep it to <$350.

Note: being able to see what I'm drawing on would be a huge plus. I don't know how well I'd do drawing on one tool and seeing my drawing on another.
I have the kamvas pro 16, it's decent enough though I think there's newer models out, I know for sure that this one is often found around 300-320 bucks so it fits your budget. Note that it needs to be hooked up to a computer or laptop it doesn't standalone and due to the cable needing usb/hdmi and power (all split off from a usb c on the tablet end) it's not easily prortable... but it doesnt sound like that's what you need since you have the ipad pro so this might do the trick.

But also I don't know what else is out there ive had this for 2 years and havent looked at the market since haha.

Oct 26, 2017

Really depends on how large a drawing surface you would like. I used a Wacom 13HD for almost a decade, and it was great. Recently upgraded to a Kamvas 24 4k
and the larger canvas is amazing.

The Kamvas 16 from 2021 is around 370€ here that is quite a bit more than 350$
My brother has used the Kamvas 13 and it is absolutely great and I think sub 200.

Unfortunately I have very little experience with XP Pen.

Just a word of warning. Wacom and Huion both have extremely buggy drivers and absolutely god awful support. And wacoms premium price hasn't been worth it for years. Their reputation is still riding on their monopoly position rather than actual build quality.
And depending on your desktop OS multi-display setups can create huge problems (currently fighting to get my setup working with dual Displayport cables)

Oct 26, 2017
California
Really depends on how large a drawing surface you would like. I used a Wacom 13HD for almost a decade, and it was great. Recently upgraded to a Kamvas 24 4k
and the larger canvas is amazing.

The Kamvas 16 from 2021 is around 370€ here that is quite a bit more than 350$
My brother has used the Kamvas 13 and it is absolutely great and I think sub 200.

Unfortunately I have very little experience with XP Pen.

Just a word of warning. Wacom and Huion both have extremely buggy drivers and absolutely god awful support. And wacoms premium price hasn't been worth it for years. Their reputation is still riding on their monopoly position rather than actual build quality.
And depending on your desktop OS multi-display setups can create huge problems (currently fighting to get my setup working with dual Displayport cables)
Thank you. Looks like I can get a refurbished Kamvas 16 for about $280 on ebay right now. Might go that route. I have an ultrawide driven by displayport. Do you think I'll have issues?

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you. Looks like I can get a refurbished Kamvas 16 for about $280 on ebay right now. Might go that route. I have an ultrawide driven by displayport. Do you think I'll have issues?
If you have an HDMI port free, I'd go with that just to be sure, but I suspect that this weird BS I am experiencing is some obscure driver issue that might be unique to my Windows setup, or some wonky defect on my graphics card. With HDMI, make sure to go 2.0 at minimum, my old HDMI extension cable didn't work at all.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Are Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 laptops with either a Dell Active Pen or Surface Pen a good choice? Got an Amex offer that can bring a 14" down to around $480+tax, though I'd still need to buy a pen separately. I've read that the initial force is kind of an issue for casual sketching. I have one of those silly Direkt-Tek things from a few years ago, and while it was a rather clunky thing, it was sort of acceptable for rough work.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017

Wacom Cintiq Pro 27: creative pen display

Wacom Cintiq Pro 27 offers our most powerful array of capabilities in a large, high-definition creative pen display. For professional artists and designers who want to add a world-class pen-on screen creative experience to their Mac or PC.

tab1_2.jpg

New Wacom Cintiq 27 - looks amazing!
120mhz smaller and lighter than the cintiq24!
New pen with interchangeable parts!

And it's expensive as fuck! $3,500…f u Wacom.
Come on Wacom, you almost had it. This thing should be 1k or 1.5k tops.

Stand is 500 bucks
Edit: in Depth look
www.youtube.com

New & Improved from Wacom: The Cintiq Pro 27” Creative Display

The Cintiq Pro 27 Creative Display is perfect for all types of creators! The larger 27” multitouch display will improve any creator’s workflow. With improved...

Last edited:

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London

Wacom Cintiq Pro 27: creative pen display

Wacom Cintiq Pro 27 offers our most powerful array of capabilities in a large, high-definition creative pen display. For professional artists and designers who want to add a world-class pen-on screen creative experience to their Mac or PC.

New Wacom Cintiq 27 - looks amazing!
120mhz smaller and lighter than the 32inch!
New pen with interchangeable parts!

And it's expensive as fuck! $3,500…f u Wacom.
Come on Wacom, you almost had it. This thing should be 1k or 1.5k tops.

Stand is 500 bucks
That price is absolutely insane, but I shouldn't be at all surprised considering this is a Wacom product.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
$500 for a stand?! Yeah this is why my current tablet is a Huion instead, even though I used Intuos and Graphire-line Wacoms for years. Wacom's stuff is just incredibly overpriced.

Absolutely, not to mention that the screens are still prone to micro scratches. I used to own a Cintiq 22HD for years, it was full on tiny scratches. I know use a Cintiq 16 and a regular intuos pro. I rather invest in a better pc and nicer monitor.

Wow, this model doesn't even come with built in legs. So a stand is required. So this thing is real 4k unless you use an arm or some releases a 3rd party stand that work with this.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Specs are a good sign of things to come since it has a 120hz display and it is the least gaming oriented device imaginable.

Everyone launching top of their line 60hz color accurate design monitors has no excuse in 2023. I'm looking at you BenQ where is my 144hz 10-bit monitor?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean the price doesn't seem that absurd if the color accuracy and coverage is as advertised along with the other specs and the quality of wacoms pen tech. It's meant as a professional device for a very specific group of people who need those specs and features in one display. I love huion for what it offers but it doesn't as far as I know have an offering that comes close to this.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Definitely overpriced at 3.5k, but it's Wacom so I can't even be surprised lol, although tbf the 4k 120hz screen is probably not that cheap.

The express key grips looks like a nice design innovation though. Seems very obvious but somehow nobody did it before haha.

Still, I just need a 1440p 20-22" display really, everyone is either 4k at 16" or 24" or 1080p at 22" lol :\

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Black Friday is coming, and I want to buy another drawing tablet that isn't Wacom. Right now I'm eyeing the XP Pen 15.6 Pro. Anyone has experiences with this brand? Another one I'm interested in buying is Huion Kamvas Pro 16, especially since it seems you can flip the screen so the buttons are on the right side (I'm left-handed).

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the market to replace my drawing display and looking at the xp-pen 24 pro. It is seemingly the exact same as my current 22R pro (1st gen) but bigger and 1440p Though, it's been 2 years and I'm worried they'll announce a new one soon. It's 20% off on amazon right now, should I go for it?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking to pick up a tablet, and I'm torn between the Kamvas Pro 16 and the Kamvas 24. Both are the UK model (no idea if there are regional differences or not, but there're like no reviews on a Kamvas 24, so I guess it has another name elsewhere), and both have 1440p displays and are priced similarly on Prime Day.

The thing separating them is that the Pro 16 is fully laminated, while the 24 isn't, and I don't really know how big a difference there is due to that. I'm more tempted by the 24 as I need a second monitor, but I dunno. I'll be using it more for 3D and graphic design-y stuff rather than digital painting, if that makes a difference.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm looking to pick up a tablet, and I'm torn between the Kamvas Pro 16 and the Kamvas 24. Both are the UK model (no idea if there are regional differences or not, but there're like no reviews on a Kamvas 24, so I guess it has another name elsewhere), and both have 1440p displays and are priced similarly on Prime Day.

The thing separating them is that the Pro 16 is fully laminated, while the 24 isn't, and I don't really know how big a difference there is due to that. I'm more tempted by the 24 as I need a second monitor, but I dunno. I'll be using it more for 3D and graphic design-y stuff rather than digital painting, if that makes a difference.
I use my Cintiq 22 as a second monitor lol. I think mine isn't laminated either, but I haven't had any problem with it really. I'm also used to the small distance between the surface and the screen, so your mile might vary.
Anyway bigger screen is nice for sure :)

Any reason not just go for the Kamvas 24 plus? Seems like that one is laminated with slightly better screen.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT

If it helps I have the Kamvas 22 w/laminated display and an iPad Pro. The display tip is pretty spot accurate on the surface of the Kamvas but the colors are very washed unlike the iPad. I do dabble with Blender and it's great for it grease pencil picks up the stylus right away and media is fine to watch on it. Just to repeat colors are a bit washed out, I did try using the different modes and adjustments.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I use my Cintiq 22 as a second monitor lol. I think mine isn't laminated either, but I haven't had any problem with it really. I'm also used to the small distance between the surface and the screen, so your mile might vary.
Anyway bigger screen is nice for sure :)

Any reason not just go for the Kamvas 24 plus? Seems like that one is laminated with slightly better screen.

Yeah, size is the main reason I'm considering it. I'll be using it as a second monitor more than a tablet, I'd assume.
As for the 24 Plus, it's just budget lol.

If it helps I have the Kamvas 22 w/laminated display and an iPad Pro. The display tip is pretty spot accurate on the surface of the Kamvas but the colors are very washed unlike the iPad. I do dabble with Blender and it's great for it grease pencil picks up the stylus right away and media is fine to watch on it. Just to repeat colors are a bit washed out, I did try using the different modes and adjustments.

Right, thanks for that. Colours aren't a huge problem, as my main display is fine, so I can just double check them on there.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What's the general concensus on the current best price/feature ratio tablet these days? Like, if you'd have to recommend anything as a "great affordable deal", which one would it be?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
So just I picked a an xp-pen artist pro 16 gen 2 after swearing I would never buy anything other than wacom, but so far it's not bad. I just couldn't justify spending 600 for a 1080p cintiq 16 with a horrible screen or 1500 for a cintiq pro 16.

Of course Wacom announces 2 new cintiq pro models. After fearing I made a huge mistake….i saw the prices lol.

Wacom Cintiq Pro range: creative pen displays

Wacom Cintiq Pro offers our most powerful array of capabilities in high-definition creative pen displays. For professional artists and designers who want to add a world-class pen-on screen creative experience to their Mac or PC.

wacom-cintiq-pro-17-dth172k0a_1.jpg

2,500 for the cintiq pro 17 and 3,000 for the cintiq 22. No stand included of course. Don't regret my purchase at all. Come on Wacom, wtf lol

Oct 29, 2017
So just I picked a an xp-pen artist pro 16 gen 2 after swearing I would never buy anything other than wacom, but so far it's not bad. I just couldn't justify spending 600 for a 1080p cintiq 16 with a horrible screen or 1500 for a cintiq pro 16.

Of course Wacom announces 2 new cintiq pro models. After fearing I made a huge mistake….i saw the prices lol.

Wacom Cintiq Pro offers our most powerful array of capabilities in high-definition creative pen displays. For professional artists and designers who want to add a world-class pen-on screen creative experience to their Mac or PC.

2,500 for the cintiq pro 17 and 3,000 for the cintiq 22. No stand included of course. Don't regret my purchase at all. Come on Wacom, wtf lol
they trippin with that 17" price.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

Man that Pro 22 would've been very nice for me, 4k 120hz with the side buttons, and I don't need the stand as I already have vesa arm. But the price is lol.

I checked the price for my current Cintiq 22, and it seems they've increased(!) the prices for all the Cintiqs.

Wacom's be Wacom.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
lmao the 22 pro model is $3k? And still without the stand.

suddenly my 27 pro doesn't seem so bad any more
Man that Pro 22 would've been very nice for me, 4k 120hz with the side buttons, and I don't need the stand as I already have vesa arm. But the price is lol.

I checked the price for my current Cintiq 22, and it seems they've increased(!) the prices for all the Cintiqs.

Wacom's be Wacom.
Those pro model's side buttons are really shit. They are definitely designed to force you buy their remote

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
lmao the 22 pro model is $3k? And still without the stand.

suddenly my 27 pro doesn't seem so bad any more

Those pro model's side buttons are really shit. They are definitely designed to force you buy their remote
I do kinda like the newer pro's designs with less bezel, though yeah with the price I don't know if I'll ever upgrade from my 22 lol.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Monumentally overpriced.

Wacom is seemingly doubling down on their pricing bullshit despite the increasing competition.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
17" price is insane. The 27" was priced fairly imo when I bought it, but it seems like they bumped it up significantly. No way I'd buy it again now, and I still think the older design with those thick bezels is superior.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
For your natural media needs Rebelle 7 is up for pre-order for a 80% discount on the release price.

www.escapemotions.com

Rebelle | real media paint software | Pre-order NOW with 80% OFF

Real media paint software for digital painting, with simulation of real-world color mixing, blending, wet-diffusion and drying. Download for Mac and Windows.
I've never heard of this program. Anyone have any impressions? The paint simulation does look nice. Does it work with Huion tablets? Any invasive data collecting or permissions or anything else to worry about? Can I transfer files between this and Clip Studio (like can I save as a .psd or .clip file)? I like that it's explicitly marketed as a "pay once, own forever" program.

Last edited:

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
I've never heard of this program. Anyone have any impressions? The paint simulation does look nice. Does it work with Huion tablets? Any invasive data collecting or permissions or anything else to worry about? Can I transfer files between this and Clip Studio (like can I save as a .psd or .clip file)? I like that it's explicitly marketed as a "pay once, own forever" program.
I haven't got any personal experience with the app but I have seen mention of it Reddit and elsewhere.

There's quite a few reviews and tutorials on Youtube for previous versions if you want to look into it further.

Oct 29, 2017
You can open and save psd files, I have the previous version of the software. You pay once get that version in perpetuity, but would have to buy new versions when released if they have upgrades that are worth it. And iirc there is a pop up / ad telling you that there is a newer version when you open the software.

Mixing paint, like simulation oil painting is convincing, I only use it for that since it is in what's excels at compared to the rest.

So for example, I personally would sketch in Photoshop or clip studio, then open it in here, do the paint as various layers, then open that in Photoshop and finish it with effects etc.

If you paint in a way that you are switching hues and doing effects as you color, then it isn't nearly as robust as Photoshop, but if you want to paint in a way that mimics oil, etc then it is good at that.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
You can open and save psd files, I have the previous version of the software. You pay once get that version in perpetuity, but would have to buy new versions when released if they have upgrades that are worth it. And iirc there is a pop up / ad telling you that there is a newer version when you open the software.

Mixing paint, like simulation oil painting is convincing, I only use it for that since it is in what's excels at compared to the rest.

So for example, I personally would sketch in Photoshop or clip studio, then open it in here, do the paint as various layers, then open that in Photoshop and finish it with effects etc.

If you paint in a way that you are switching hues and doing effects as you color, then it isn't nearly as robust as Photoshop, but if you want to paint in a way that mimics oil, etc then it is good at that.
Thank you!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding pre-ordering Rebelle 7, does anyone know how that works exactly? Say I wanted to gift it to someone. Does pre-ordering now just give me a registration code to input when it comes out? Or does it register to whatever account you're logged onto on their website when you purchase it? I can see there's a gift option at checkout, but obviously I'd like the gift sent around Christmas rather than as soon as the thing releases.