• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

A complete breakdown of the ins and outs of console performance in Metro Exodus. It's a beautifully crafted first-person shooter in many respects, but also one that pushes PS4 and Xbox One systems hard - with a surprise victor in the frame-rate stakes.

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summ Tumm's:

- Lighting, effects buffers run on different (lower than native) resolutions on consoles.
- There will be a specific PC breakdown video with more info on that, including RTX benefits.

Resolution & Visuals:
- XBX runs at native 2160p.
- PS4 Pro runs at native 1440p.
- Base PS4 runs at native 1080p.
- Base Xbox One runs with dynamically adjusting 1080p. Lowest encountered just under 900p.
- There is a chance all consoles might use dynamic, but only noticed during testing on base Xbox.

- PS4 and Xbox family consoles have different gamma curves, Xbox consoles seem to suffer from black crush.
- Base Xbox loses some detail on texture filtering, but otherwise assets look identical on all consoles.
- All consoles miss the advance physics simulation of PC version.
- Base consoles have lower LoD settings (base Xbox is lowest)
- Geometry is improved/increased on Xbox X and PS4 Pro

Fog/Effect Resolutions:
- Base Xbox uses 33% scale resolution for fogs, bullet muzzle etc.
- Base PS4 uses 50% scale per axis.
- Pro and X push effects somewhere a little under 1080p.

Performance:
- Base Xbox One is surprisingly solid performing version. The most consistently playing version.
- Base PS4 holds 30 FPS frequently, but drops and adaptive vsync kicks in. Base Xbox suffers much less from this.
- In firefights, base PS4 is the worst performing of the bunch.
- In Mid-Gens. Xbox X is generally the better performing version of the two. Both have some drops, Pro has some more of them.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the summary as always. I guess the PS4 (Pro) wasn't tested with the very latest patch that seemingly borks the performance?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, even getting base Xbox to hit 900-1080? Good for them, that's impressive for such a nice looking game

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Native 4k and better performance is pretty insane but it is an eastern euro dev.
How's that insane? The GPU in the X is 40% more powerful and the cpu is more powerful as well.... Even more important is the gap in bandwidth between the X and the pro. You guys sometimes smh....

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
How's that insane? The GPU in the X is 40% more powerful and the cpu is more powerful as well.... You guys sometimes....

It is impressive because this is a game running at native 4K on One X and looks better than a lot of games that can't run at 4K on One X despite looking worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, thank you!

Base Xbox version is the most consistent. Gotta be honest, did not see that coming but great for them.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely noticing the native 4k on the X. Game is incredibly sharp and the detail is ridiculous.

Also, unfortunately, definitely noticing some of that black crush though.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
As much as it's nice to have native 4k on X, wish there was a 60 FPS option. It was great in 2033 Redux and Last Light Remasters.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I really regret jumping on the Pro early instead of waiting for the X.

If MS is serious about this seems I'm going to be just owning a PS for VR and exclusives next gen as well. They realized that having the most powerful console really does mean a lot and I can't imagine Sony taking that back. MS just has tech on lock and are not going to back down.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
It is impressive because this is a game running at native 4K on One X and looks better than a lot of games that can't run at 4K on One X despite looking worse.
The bold text has nothing to do with the console and has everything to do with the development team. The ARK devs are a perfect example of the above.
It's 2160p vs 1440p... can you name another game with this level of resolution disparity that performs better? Wolfenstein sure didn't.
There are games that run at 4k on the X and 1080p on the pro. 4k on the X and 1440p on the pro is standard and is in no way, shape, or form "unexpected". Those resolutions line up perfectly with the specs of both machines and the rendering load of today's games. The X is a very powerful console.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
- Base PS4 holds 30 FPS frequently, but drops and adaptive vsync kicks in. Base Xbox suffers much less from this.
- In firefights, base PS4 is the worst performing of the bunch.

1BatAS7.jpg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Glad I waited for DF's analysis. Not sure why but I was hoping it'd target 60FPS on all consoles

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I am not a fanboy and have to preface this statement with that.

They say in this frame rate is always:
x pro 4 s

I have seen nearly every df video and I'm pretty sure it's Pro>X for frame rate and X>pro for res.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Not really? It's more than 2x the number of pixels.
Yes really, it's not just about TFs counts. The pro is bandwidth starved at 218gb/s compared to the X's 326gb/s. There's a lot more at play than just TFs. You're also operating under the assumption that the increase in computational resources required to go from 1440p to 4k scales linearly and that is a false assumption to make. It's entirely dependent on the bottleneck in each console.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if DF would test or comment on Pro's forced 1080p shenanigans.

Does it have any difference ?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Few dips here and there on Pro, I can live with that. With how some people were talking in the other Metro thread, I was expecting much worse.

Hopefully they can fix the base PS4's bad frame drops and the black crush on Xbox versions.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Few dips here and there on Pro, I can live with that. With how some people were talking in the other Metro thread, I was expecting much worse.

Hopefully they can fix the base PS4's bad frame drops and the black crush on Xbox versions.

Before or after the patch which people are saying supposedly 'borks' the performance ?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
1440p on the PRO is embarrassing IMO. There's nearly an 80% difference in resolution if I've done the math right. There's something definitely not right about that version seeing as it still performs worse than the X1X version. If I owned a PRO I'd be very annoyed at this. The base Xbox One version is clear evidence that a dynamic resolution would have been the way to go with this game. It's weird that they'd only implement dynamic res for only one version of the game.

On the bright side it's nice to see the devs taking full advantage of the X1X GPU.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
1440p on the PRO is embarrassing IMO. There's nearly an 80% difference in resolution if I've done the math right. There's something definitely not right about that version seeing as it still performs worse than the X1X version. If I owned a PRO I'd be very annoyed at this. The base Xbox One version is clear evidence that a dynamic resolution would have been the way to go with this game. It's weird that they'd only implement dynamic res for only one version of the game.

On the bright side it's nice to see the devs taking full advantage of the X1X GPU.

You're sending mixed messages here .. on one hand 1440p is an embarrassment .. on the other hand you want a dynamic scaling resolution .. which would mean it would go even lower than 1440p.

I was just going on the DF video, I've not actually installed my copy yet. It would be good to know about the patch though. Might install it offline first and test the difference, unless DF can give an answer to this question quicker.

Ah, cool.

Patch impact (if any) and any potential changes based on forced 1080p setting are the 2 things I would love to get some feedback on.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Native 4K on XBX is impressive, 1440 on Pro is probably a bit low, surely they could make it at least 1620p.