• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just shocked its out of the blue when he kept renewing his contract to stay on as CEO up to end of 2021. etc., I think conference call is coming up shortly and will be on CNBC with a interview later.
Eh, he was getting ready to for years but then stayed on to make sure the Fox deal went through and settled and for Disney+ to be completely setup and launched

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Bob Iger is a beast of an executive, from returning Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to acquiring 21st Century Fox, this man has made history tenfold.

It's a shame that his successor was Bob Chapek and not Kevin Mayer. Kevin Mayer dealt with the acquisition of Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm and is currently head of Disney Streaming Services, he seemed to be the perfect candidate for the CEO role.

Buying Marvel for $4 billion when the MCU train was already rolling was a swindle for the ages.

Marvel didn't have ownership of their A-List superheroes for feature film, nor did they have a feature film or network cable distribution brand like DC did and Marvel had pre-existing theme park agreements with Universal Parks & Resorts. Marvel relied almost entirely on third-party licensing in order to survive. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is one thing, the Marvel comics, merchandise and video games is an entirely different beast.

The monetary valuation for the acquisition was right, it's just that none of us didn't realise how smartly Disney would have integrated Marvel.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I do not feel one way or the other about this, Disney movie wise played it very safe under Iger, I hope that they will have more risks in the future.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Dude is a fucking legend
Even though he sacrificed the Disney image for more marvel and star wars which is the exact opposite when I think Disney. He made shit happen.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that his successor was Bob Chapek and not Kevin Mayer. Kevin Mayer dealt with the acquisition of Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm and is currently head of Disney Streaming Services, he seemed to be the perfect candidate for the CEO role.

I always thought this too.
There was always chatter that Mayer was going to be next in line because of how involved he has been with every major decision Iger has done.
Seems like a step-back to give to it to Chapek.

Unless they asked and he said no. I hope the Chapek promotion won't bite them in the ass.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, huge imagineering fan! (to the point I really wanted to be one) Any projects you personally worked on you can talk about?

I worked mostly on the franchise and synergy team. We worked with all park heads to gather and process information needs while simultaneously tracking financial goals for all parks over short and long term.

At the time this included fluctuations in how budgeting was adjusted for projects like the Guardians overlay for Tower of Terror, to Star Wars Labd(super early in concept circa 2016 ish), to even trying to get a little corner setup in parks for Captain America or Spider-Man to have photo ops while new MCU pics release.

Some stuff was rather dull, like trying to get appropriations into new parking or walkways in FL or DLR.

All were like pulling teeth to accomplish and good ideas sunk constantly.

But until I left, the Star Wars setup for the park planning was our office location and it was super cool. Models hanging from ceiling, a conference table shaped like a star destroyer. Autonomous R2's wandering the area designed by R&D. You felt the excitement and creative juices flowing and I too hoped the end result was gonna make a bigger splash...

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Get ready for Bob Iger entering the presidential race last second.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him showing up tonight at the debate and RKO Bloomberg out of nowhere.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Disney got back both $4B investments in Marvel and Star Wars in record time. It was a freaking rocket ship return.
The one who should be credited for the mcu is Kevin Feige plus Star Wars under Disney is very controversial. I guess I should congratulate him for buying stuff? The Disney Renaissance happened already.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Get ready for Bob Iger entering the presidential race last second.

1267A335-8FBE-4659-87F3-E983A0599A14-990x556.jpeg

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I always thought this too.
There was always chatter that Mayer was going to be next in line because of how involved he has been with every major decision Iger has done.
Seems like a step-back to give to it to Chapek.

Unless they asked and he said no. I hope the Chapek promotion won't bite them in the ass.

I kind of hope it does bite them where it hurts so that Bob Chapek can be replaced.

The one who should be credited for the mcu is Kevin Feige plus Star Wars under Disney is very controversial. I guess I should congratulate him for buying stuff? The Disney Renaissance happened already.

Kevin Feige was going to leave Marvel because of Ike Perlmutter's micro-management and his racist and sexist outlook on the Marvel brand. It was Bob Iger who made the executive decision to re-structure Marvel Studios into Walt Disney Studios and disconnect it from Marvel Entertainment.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So what kind of impact is this gonna do for decision making in projects

Like what are the goals of the new CEO? Hopefully Disney plus won't get worse 😂

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Bob Chapek...?

sigh, I guess we are not gonna get DinoLand USA replacement anytime soon. Also, Epcot will become even more like IP-land.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A little surprised he is stepping down from the CEO position so soon, but at this point he had nowhere to go but down, so I guess it makes sense. Chapek as CEO seems like a nightmare scenario for fans, though he will probably be able to coast on the company's general momentum

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Buying Marvel for $4 billion when the MCU train was already rolling was a swindle for the ages.
That's some revisionist history right there.The MCU when Disney took over was the surprise hit of Iron Man and the flop of Incredible Hulk with both movies combined making less than DC's Dark Knight which was released in between them. Hancock made more money than Iron Man! Hancock!!

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% certain Disney gonna slow their roll now that Iger is out. That dude was a beast of an executive.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I worked mostly on the franchise and synergy team. We worked with all park heads to gather and process information needs while simultaneously tracking financial goals for all parks over short and long term.

At the time this included fluctuations in how budgeting was adjusted for projects like the Guardians overlay for Tower of Terror, to Star Wars Labd(super early in concept circa 2016 ish), to even trying to get a little corner setup in parks for Captain America or Spider-Man to have photo ops while new MCU pics release.

Some stuff was rather dull, like trying to get appropriations into new parking or walkways in FL or DLR.

All were like pulling teeth to accomplish and good ideas sunk constantly.

But until I left, the Star Wars setup for the park planning was our office location and it was super cool. Models hanging from ceiling, a conference table shaped like a star destroyer. Autonomous R2's wandering the area designed by R&D. You felt the excitement and creative juices flowing and I too hoped the end result was gonna make a bigger splash...
Damn, some of it sounds really cool! and it really seems that imaginering is trying their best with what they have right now.
It seems a lot of budget constraints didnt let pass grander ideas, and thats sad.
I will always hate what they didn with the California ToT (as for me was the whole anchor of California Adventure 2.0) and Paradise Pier. Everything seem so amazing when Iger entered and they wanted to rejuvenate the park in a good way, then it seems Chapek entered the picture. I still remember all the imagineers on twitter hating what marketing did with their hard work on the shop windows of Buena Vista Street.