• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Never watched one before, but I will tonight. Few trailers I want to see and nothing else is on.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the reveals and will keep refreshing Resetera to see new threads pop up instead of watching the show.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I am not particularly exited for it but it's on at the perfect time for me, the time when I'm usually not doing much except browsing the internet aimlessly or playing games. So I think I'll have it on.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Lol nope, it's gonna be weak af this year with next gen around the corner.

Also lol at the awards with Death Stranding (82 on Meta) being nominated so much. Geoff's bestie is gonna eat them awards like no tomorrow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lol nope, it's gonna be weak af this year with next gen around the corner.

Also lol at the awards with Death Stranding (82 on Meta) being nominated so much.

Yeah, all things considered, 2019 was a pretty lousy year overall so it's hard to really get hyped for its "gaming Oscars".

Really, the VGAs are more like the Daytime Emmys though.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Literally could not care less. Like all gaming shows, the sooner it's over the better so I can just look at a recap article with links to the trailers. These events are almost always a waste of time filled with cringey nonsense. Gaming culture, outside of the actual games themselves, is thoroughly terrible.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate it offers game reveals, but it doesn't really get me hyped like E3, for example. Although E3 pretty much died for me without Sony.

I still get pretty excited about it overall though

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't give a shit about the awards show, but I'm always at least a bit hyped for events like these because we get game reveals.

I'm super hyped for this one because of the new Ghost of Tsushima footage.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Absolutely, I love the show. There's a lot going on and it feels like a celebration of gaming. The time for the event is just bit of a bummer as an European, I still try to catch it live though. Just don't know what my tactic should be, maybe few hours of napping before it begins.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Literally could not care less. Like all gaming shows, the sooner it's over the better so I can just look at a recap article with links to the trailers. These events are almost always a waste of time filled with cringey nonsense. Gaming culture, outside of the actual games themselves, is thoroughly terrible.
Could not disagree more. Most gaming shows are long past the cringe fests from years past. And it's the best and most fun way to announce games. Looking at a list later sounds sterile as hell. And you realize that this forum comprises some amount of gaming culture, right?

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Well yes but actually no... I don't give a crap about who wins Awards and so on... I'm only wanna see the potential Announcement... thaht what makes it excited...the Show is boring as hell...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just want the BotW2 trailer. The actual awards show means nothing to me, but I'm sure it means a lot to those involved and gaining recognition for their work. Even if it is a bit more of a glorified advertising vehicle compared to other industry awards shows.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I want to see more of Ghost of Tsushima and FFVII Remake for sure, plus that new Batman game is probably going to appear. And Crash will be there too.

Thing is, and no disrespect to Geoff Keighley who I'm sure puts his absolute heart and soul into this event every year, I just don't don't want to sit through three hours of award speeches, constant advertising and lots of cringe to see those 20 or so minutes of gold. Definitely not at 3 in the morning anyway.

I'll just catch the highlights in the morning. I don't really like waking up to a myriad of news and would rather catch it live, but... I just don't give a shit about awards and speeches man. Especially when it's 3 in the morning.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I'll catch the news the day after and read about the event, so I won't be watching. I think awards are superlative, but important.

I did get a chuckle out of this description.

"The Game Awards is tonight, and it is bad. It's a showcase of adverts wrapped in the anxieties of an industry embarrassingly desperate to be taken seriously by mainstream culture. The awards are worthless."

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, it's too long. I'm just here for the game reveals and trailers so it helps to spice the show up via Easy Allies.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm Ready
dhMC14t.jpg

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I appreciate seeing the smaller team's being recognized for their work, it's always such an authentic moment when they accept it. I'm glad they're much less cringey than before too.

The announcements are also exciting, but after Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch last year was a no-show, I'm tempering my expectations more.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Never felt hype for it but it's something I almost look forward to in a schadenfreude kind of way

Also, the announcements

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I care about it because the devs and actors are there and i want to encourage them

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Reveals only, the awards I don't care about. That's a little inside baseball for me. Still, I'm glad that people in the industry receive peer recognition. Since I'm not in the industry I have no skin in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in whatever trailers/announcements happen, but I'll catch up on those the day after. I never watch the actual awards since most of the winners are games I don't care about.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not this year. With next gen looming, there isn't as much to show off right now. And with how the awards themselves tend to be handled, I don't even think that aspect will be exciting. I'll still be watching, but I'm not expecting anything huge.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
This is how I feel. It's just a big commercial but I'm actually interested in seeing it because I want those games. I couldn't care any less about who gets what award at this live commercial ceremony, I just want to see trailers that I haven't seen before.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most just want to see the new trailers/reveals, i guess the awards have meaning/are a fun thing for the developers though

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
No because the awards are as predictably pro-corporate as possible. Like, it's 2019 and half the show will still be about Red Dead Redemption 2.

The few interesting moments, like how Dead Cells won a small (and only briefly featured during a segway) award will be so rare as to not be worth watching for.

I can just watch the reveal trailers on youtube later.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Could not disagree more. Most gaming shows are long past the cringe fests from years past. And it's the best and most fun way to announce games. Looking at a list later sounds sterile as hell. And you realize that this forum comprises some amount of gaming culture, right?

I mean, I like games, not the marketing cycle around them. An article announcing a game is sufficient for me. I don't need a hysterical shrieking audience before a cut to a totally unrepresentative vertical slice of early alpha gameplay or a CG reveal that shows nothing sponsored by Mountain Dew. I'll also survive missing out on the award for Heated Gaming Moment of the Year.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love it. It celebrates gaming and we get to enjoy new gaming trailers, musical guests and more.