• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i don't really care what others think of me based on my avatar. whatever avatar i put there would give the wrong impression of how i am irl anyway.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Does anyone think I'm a deranged eco terrorist?
14714.jpg

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly, but I've disabled avatars. You're all one big wall of text to me.

Last edited:

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
I will admit that some avatars featuring an extreme closeup of a characters face trying to look tough makes me wonder if that poster has some insecurities and that is their way of making up for that.
Stupid, I know, but purely a reflex feeling after some real-life experience.

I occasionally wonder what people think of my avatar.
I don't think it's stupid, maybe the interpretation might be off, but it's not stupid.
Basically when interacting with others in social situations the majority of communication is non-verbal, a lot of that is visual information by which we assess others (mannerism, stances, facial expressions etc.). In a forum environment the only visual cues we get are the avatars, which act as the sole non-verbal cues we get. A single picture does of course limit the information you can receive by looking at it, but you do read it even if it's not conscious. Subject matters are not that important in this as we often don't know the context behind the avatars, so we look for other cues.

Of course the other side is that we choose our avatars to represent ourselves on this forum, and usually there are reasons for choosing them; conscious and unconscious. They do reflect us in certain way. The issue is how much of that is lost in transmission.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
i expect that people think the guy in the picture is actually how i look, yeah. That would be pretty cool though since Jim is a legend.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to ignore and dislike people with anime avatars before I even read their posts. Now I have avatars disabled life is better.

NO more anime

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
20079.jpg

Dear sweet jesus that's creepy.

I've neevr really given that much credence to avatars tbh, but it seems people read much into the fabric of a profile.

Only time I really judge is if it's an image of a scantily clad man/woman, partially because I used Era alot at work and have had questions in the past. Damn you horny people.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. An avatar can certainly be taken as a representation of the way a user wants to be perceived.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because your avatar shows a girl and your username is similar to rinoa from final fantasy viii, i always think you're female until i bother to click the username and it shows you're male
lol, this happened way too often in the past. Even when I was using a male or gender-neutral avatar people still thought I was a girl. And my username is just an anagram of my first name, I didn't know about that FF character until someone mentioned to me.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I mean, I guess it is a reflection of their personality to a small extent.

The only ones that really bother me are racy avatars.

lol, this happened way too often in the past. Even when I was using a male or gender-neutral avatar people still thought I was a girl. And my username is just an anagram of my first name, I didn't know about that FF character until someone mentioned to me.
My first AIM screen name was Flik46, named after a character from Suikoden. Everyone just associated it with the Bug's Life character. It was annoying as hell.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Many people think I'm a white (I'm not) because of my avatar. I just like Pixar and The Incredibles.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it gives flavor to the posts behind these names, so its more amusing to read. But I try not to get super invested in random internet strangers because there is a underage anime girl in their avatar, I really do not care.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
folks with cat avatars get my undying respect and love

but y'all with dog pics can kick rocks

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
I use avatars to identify people more than their names. I suppose they kind of influence how I read posts, but not much. I agree with another user that said happy/cute avatars generally make me feel like someone is more... inviting?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I judge anyone with an avatar of anime, manga, JRPGs, overly masculine video game franchises, men with female avatars, default ERA avatars, gross-out/"ugly" avatars, and anything else I might choose to judge in the future.

The only people I don't judge are Life Is Strange avatars. You're all good people in my book.
You have an anime Max avatar.