PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"This is Gallifrey" is back. Of course Murray would bring it back when the Doctor tells Ruby about the devastation of Gallifrey.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
RTD, who got within striking distance of a crossover in his previous era, having The Doctor say "we've got to visit them one day" of Star Trek/Starfleet in his very first regular season episode back, hahaha.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously for the benefit of a new audience but Ruby asking all these questions and getting straight answers is the healthiest starting dynamic. No vague answers or avoiding the questions from the Doctor like usual.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And we're already diving head-first into abortion metaphor. Well, we'll see how this goes over in the press.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Space Babies is a ton of fun. Absolutely sells Ncuti as the Doctor (the Christmas episode wasn't quite there yet for me).

didn't need that fart gag really but whatevs, kids show

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That was alright! Ncuti and Millie are great, but I think the episode was a little too silly in some ways for me. Looking much more forward to #2.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the episode but it did feel like the kind of lighthearted episode you'd get mid season. Rather than the opener before newer viewers are fully on board. Though I guess the Christmas special is there for that. Excited for the next one.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Unexpected reference to the Music of the Spheres from a BBC Proms minisode.

And the knocks.

Maestro is great.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
is there something i missed for why the doctor is straight up going with the last of the time lords angle again? got the ones that got banished in hell bent at the very least, no? They wouldn't be friendly ones but still. I couldn't help but think about it, lol

That aside, nice enough first episode. Ncuti is a lot of fun!

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
is there something i missed for why the doctor is straight up going with the last of the time lords angle again? got the ones that got banished in hell bent at the very least, no? They wouldn't be friendly ones but still. I couldn't help but think about it, lol

The Master killed them all again off screen during 13's run

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

During the 13th Doctor's run, the Master killed all the other time lords and turned them into Cybermen (or Cyber Lords rather).

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Gallifrey got completely destroyed again in the Chibnall era, and all(?) the Time Lords got turned into super regenerating Cybermen by The Master. It's why the language is now a bit more non-specific, as it wasn't the Time War, but there's multiple genocides in play on the Time Lords and I guess he's assuming that between them there's none left.

Also: it's a better character hook I think tbh

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

There's a line in the second episode that sort of explains some edge cases like that.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
The Master killed them all again off screen during 13's run

During the 13th Doctor's run, the Master killed all the other time lords and turned them into Cybermen (or Cyber Lords rather).

Right I watched that run, but I don't remember it being mentioned that the master went out of his way to go after the off-planet ones? I feel like I'd remember it?

Gallifrey got completely destroyed again in the Chibnall era, and all(?) the Time Lords got turned into super regenerating Cybermen by The Master. It's why the language is now a bit more non-specific, as it wasn't the Time War, but there's multiple genocides in play on the Time Lords and I guess he's assuming that between them there's none left.

Also: it's a better character hook I think tbh

To be honest I don't like the character hook getting repeated but I do *get* it from that angle, yeah

There's a line in the second episode that sort of explains some edge cases like that.

Oh I'll look out for it when I watch it in a bit!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That episode was ridiculous in a good way. Maestro was fantastic, a good mixture of silly and scary, and the show was not afraid to lean into extended lore and call back as far as it needed to. Saxon, the Giggle, Susan. Lots of references.

The musical number wasn't great but I don't come to Doctor Who for musical numbers so I can forgive it for not being Sondheim-level.

That said: I am a little worried about them doing the Impossible Girl thing again with Ruby.

Ade

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I really hope that billboard in episode 2 didn't give away what I think it did…