• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If frame rate is important to you, PC is your platform. Consoles will always prioritize graphics.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like you made a thread like this before, and i fully support your cause. At least give us the option to choose framerate over gfx, which I did notice more games are starting to do

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
30fps will continue to be the standard next gen. Anyone thinking otherwise is setting themselves up for disappointment.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'd prefer this is left up to the developer personally.

If they feel their game is best played at 30fps with higher resolution and lots of bells and whistles than I'm okay with that.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the obsession for 60fps. Sure, it makes the experience better but 30fps is perfectly fine to play. IMO, only a nitpicky minority really seems to bother that much with FPS.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
With Raytracing and 4k already seemingly the focus of the next gen "wow" factor, we probably won't be seeing consistent 60 fps games outside of the pc space for a while unless devs are willing to stick to 1080p.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe with VRR support the least they can do is give you unlocked FPS option so people with newer TVs can benefit from it.

Also "get a PC" is not an answer if the games OP wants to play are not on PC.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
30fps is okay for card games.

Actually, I take that back.

Once you get used to much higher fps, it's really hard to stomach even 60fps. You really do see the slideshow, which your eyes have been tricking you into thinking was really smooth. The faster the pace of the game (especially with big horizontal movements) the more obvious it is.

I've played games at 120fps and can go back to 30fps on consoles instantly without issues. I never saw a "slideshow".

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I play PC stuff at 60 fps cuz my rig can handle it, but I literally have zero problem hopping onto my console and playing games that run at 30.

Hell, I've played plenty of games with legit framerate issues and it has never bothered me enough to put me completely off something.

I fucking played AND enjoyed Drakengard 3 for fucks sake.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing Melee before 2001 and being blown away by how it looked. Then when I played it, I couldn't figure out why it looked even better than I originally saw in trailers and marketing.

Years later other games had this same effect, then I finally realized it -------- it was the 60FPS. So you see, you can have both -- great graphics and 60FPS, which in my situation made the game look even better when I actually played it.

I think this anecdotal experience is something people lose when saying things like "the masses don't care about framerate.. they only care about how pretty it looks." But this argument completely misses the point that graphics these days are already really. freaking. good. and also not considering the impact framerate has when the masses actually get their hands on the game.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VR is the only place you will see any sort of mandatory minimum framerates next gen or the gen after that.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
.. but with all the new horse power on the next gen consoles.. are we really gonna get [resolution] native games running at sub par 30 fps or even with bad frame pacing?
People say this before every gen and they just set themselves up for disappointment.

"The Xbox 360 and PS3 have loads more horsepower than the Xbox and PS2, they'll definitely deliver 1080p60!"...nope, most of the time we were lucky to get 720p30.

"PS4 and Xbox One are way more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3, they'll definitely deliver 1080p-4K@60!"...nope, most games shot for 900p-1080p@30 before the Pro/X1X came along, and even then it was usually a tradeoff between 1080p@60 or 1440p-4K@30.

And here we go again. "PS5 and Xbox [______] are way more powerful than, PS4 and Xbox One, they'll definitely deliever 4K60!"...nope, they largely won't. Some will shoot for 4K, some will shoot for 60; few will deliver both.

30fps is here to stay. And, honestly, for most games/genres...that's fine. (As long as it's a solid 30, anyway.)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Developers will continue to push the envelope regardless of how powerful the hardware in front of them is. This isn't a bad thing.

Oct 31, 2017
As long as developers prioritize graphics over framerate, 60 FPS will not be standard and definitely won't be mandatory
This.

60 fps doesn't sell games to the masses as much as pretty graphics do. Couple that with the fact that a lot of casual gamers can't identify or don't care enough to identify the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps and it pretty much guarantees we will always see some 30 fps games on consoles. I believe we will see more 60fps games next gen but it will never be the standard.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30fps is really fine, especially for slow-paced games like RPGs. I prefer 60fps for multiplayer games and shooters. But saying there is no difference between 30 and 60 fps is absurd, it's really night and day.

Nauseating 30fps needs to finally become extinct. It's definitely time for it to be done with.

How do you manage to watch movies at 24 fps?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
60 fps does sell games when the gameplay is good. If COD was 30fps, it would have never been as popular as it is.

As in, by word of mouth - not trailers.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
30fps is really fine, especially for slow-paced games like RPGs. I prefer 60fps for multiplayer games and shooters. But saying there is no difference between 30 and 60 fps is absurd, it's really night and day.

I use motion interpolation on action movies to prevent migraines/nausea. But luckily most movie cinematographers know better than to employ fast panning shots, and if they do there's a more or less stationary point of reference on screen. Games have them constantly, with no stable point of reference, there's really no comparison between film and games in this regard.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Because it's a waste of development and optimization time that will cater to that 1% that cares, meaning it's not worth the effort. Most console gamers just want to play the game and don't want to waste time with settings.
I mean, PS4 and X1x are literally computers. If a company can make a game on PC with 100 options i don't see why they can't while optimizing a game in developing figure out a way to implement a performance mode. Even the Nioh devs could do that on a not COD budget.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Not only will 60fps not be mandatory, you will see games running at 30fps with drops. I promise.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
You're response is hilariously insulting. Please explain how accessibility for people with debilitating migraines or epilepsy isn't important. I'll be waiting for anything resembling a well thought out, logical explanation.

In all my time working with general practitioners and in the emergency deparment have I ever seen someone present with "I got a migraine/seizure because the framerate was too low".

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On every thread I check about performance and framerates I still see people saying that "30 fps is fine" "I can't even see the difference from 30 to 60" etc.

Next gen is coming in 1 year and I really hope games will ran at 60 fps. I don't care about native 4k or RTX stuff.

All I need are 60 fps games on any resolution.. use any techniques that you need to reach even a "fake" 4k o whatever you want to do with it.. but please just secure those sweet 60 fps.
Developers choose. There will be no 60 fps mandatory.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
In all my time working with general practitioners and in the emergency deparment have I ever seen someone present with "I got a migraine/seizure because the framerate was too low".
You should pay more attention to patients when they describe their activities leading up to the events, then. Your lack of observation only says something about you, not the patient.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
If frame rate is important to you, PC is your platform. Consoles will always prioritize graphics.
I have nothing else to say. Very few console games will actually target 60FPS. Fewer still will maintain that target consistently. If you want 60FPS on consoles, then I hope all you play is Fortnite, Call of Duty, and fighting games not made by CyberConnect2. There's obviously more than that, but those are the standouts based on my own experiences with playing console games. It's part of why I invested a bunch more money into my rig this year, to keep it up to date for the next console gen, and to maximize performance in the current gen.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
There was a brief time before ray tracing hit where it seemed like next gen have enough spare power that you could get to >50% of titles running at 60, because there wasn't a whole lot else to do, but ray tracing killed that. You're going to get games running at 4K with ray traced lighting and you'll get whatever frame rate they can get that running at.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You're response is hilariously insulting. Please explain how accessibility for people with debilitating migraines or epilepsy isn't important. I'll be waiting for anything resembling a well thought out, logical explanation.

You are putting words in my mouth as I never claimed as such. What I meant by being insulting is pressing 60fps as an accessibility standard. Epilepsy related frame time issues can range from 3 to 60 fps, and a majority of recommended solutions has to do more with avoiding strobes, high contrast and using filters.
We already have a high friction from developers(games and otherwise) to adopt current standards. It is also highly possible to see devs claiming their game is 60fps and therefore meeting epilepsy accessibility standards but still causing problems due to the aforementioned factors.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
You are putting words in my mouth as I never claimed as such. What I meant by being insulting is pressing 60fps as an accessibility standard. Epilepsy related frame time issues can range from 3 to 60 fps, and a majority of recommended solutions has to do more with avoiding strobes, high contrast and using filters.
We already have a high friction from developers(games and otherwise) to adopt current standards. It is also highly possible to see devs claiming their game is 60fps and therefore meeting epilepsy accessibility standards but still causing problems to the aforementioned elements.
I put no words in your mouth, I repeated your words back to you and explained why you were being insulting.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I apologize, it was a caustic response. Just gets me when people think that cranking it up to 60 will solve problems. Usually not that simple.
Works for me and my migraines. Bad frame-paced 60fps can still be iffy, depending on how stuttery it is, but perfectly framepaced 30 is always a one way ticket to a dark room with an ice pack on my eyes and nausea for at least the next 6 to 8 hours.

Of course, how close I am to the screen, how tired or exhausted I am, and even if I've eaten recently can also play a role in my tolerances.

I'm also one of the weirdos who has motion interpolation on as a precaution. Only on low or medium, just enough to smooth things out at around 60hz without introducing additional judder or artifacts like the high setting (120hz) does. It's always a better experience when the game is 60 and I can turn it off and not have crazy input lag.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'll never understand the obsession for 60fps. Sure, it makes the experience better but 30fps is perfectly fine to play. IMO, only a nitpicky minority really seems to bother that much with FPS.

Strongly disagree. Playing a game at 60fps is a completely different experience than playing it at 30fps.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strongly disagree. Playing a game at 60fps is a completely different experience than playing it at 30fps.

I did said it was a different experience. But it doesn't bother me at all playing in 30fps, anywhere the unplayable garbage as some try to paint here, actually. It'll only bother me if the fps is so low that cause severe slowdowns and compromise gameplay. Of course, I'll always prefer 60fps, no doubt about, but, if it's 30fps, I'm fine with and won't pass on playing because of that.

This. Watching movies might be excruciating for those people who hate 30fps so much, lol.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
An experience I've never noticed.

Chalk me up as someone who doesn't care. I'm just happy if the game runs and is fun.

I honestly don't get statements like these because the difference is quite obvious. I mean I get it if 30fps doesn't bother people, but I don't see how they can say they've never noticed a difference between 60fps and 30fps. 60 and 120 or 120 and 144 is more understandable, but 30 and 60 are vastly different.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I did said it was a different experience. But it doesn't bother me at all playing in 30fps, anywhere the unplayable garbage as some try to paint here, actually. It'll only bother me if the fps is so low that cause severe slowdowns and compromise gameplay. Of course, I'll always prefer 60fps, no doubt about, but, if it's 30fps, I'm fine with and won't pass on playing because of that.

This. Watching movies might be excruciating for those people who hate 30fps so much, lol.

Oh I certainly don't think 30 is unplayable. It's just not something I'd have any interest in going back to after experiencing higher framerates. It just doesn't feel good after you've gotten a taste of 60/120/144.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I honestly don't get statements like these because the difference is quite obvious. I mean I get it if 30fps doesn't bother people, but I don't see how they can say they've never noticed a difference between 60fps and 30fps. 60 and 120 or 120 and 144 is more understandable, but 30 and 60 are vastly different.
only noticeable if you play 2 games of the same genre one after another. First time I really noticed the difference, to the point that I felt like gameplay lost quality due to the difference, was playing Driveclub after playing GT Sport. That looked awful, some sort of slow mo but in real time lol. I finished and loved every second of Drivelcub a year earlier though. Making it 60fps would mean worst graphics and effects so no, I am fine with it being 30.