• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I understand a platform is not to be provided for Dr. Disrespect, but I find the fact that a prolific streamer being banned out of the blue is quite an odd move from Twitch and think it could have possible discussion around it. The main point of conversation here is not how much of a POS DrDisrepsect is (I too hope the ban stays) but around what and why this happened, as the implications of this ban have the potential to effect many others.

Speculation is currently up in the air as to what has happened/what is happening regarding the situation. While I am guilty of it on a couple of occasions, I do not believe aimless speculation is something that is helpful to the situation currently and I will do my best and encourage you to refrain from doing any yourself.

What we do know is that he was banned yesterday, both Twitch and himself have been basically radio silent on the matter, Twitch has refunded his subscribers. At one point some sponsors were removing content in relation to him, but seem to be on the fence as to what to do with that content.

Any
legitimate updates to the scenario will be threadmarked as soon as possible.

Seeing as it seems to be a right pain in the ass to get Twitch to take action on people who violate TOS, this also seems a bit off.

UPDATE

Possibly in relation to this, but interested to see where it goes still as there is possible precedent being set here.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Is it really a mystery though? I assume he's probably being banned for similar reasons as the rest of the people banned over the last couple days.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
If it is part of the recent wave of DMCA stuff then I believe warning was given in advance by Twitch.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Would have to be DMCA there's no other reason. But he rarely plays something that would be hit by a label?

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Would have to be DMCA there's no other reason. But he rarely plays something that would be hit by a label?
That's what my thinking is as well. So I wonder if Twitch is in the business of allowing someone to issue one and them doing nothing to manually review before doing so.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That means he won't show up on my "Recommended Channels" list anymore. Good.

Another reminder that Twitch needs an "Ignore Channel" button.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
YouTube banned people who were singing Despacito, maybe Twitch is banning for singing too
Well that would fuck up their Twitch Sings game then?
That's what my thinking is as well. So I wonder if Twitch is in the business of allowing someone to issue one and them doing nothing to manually review before doing so.
I mean this is possible because someone got a DMCA from Lil Uzi's Label but it was just a clip of clown music.

Who knows honestly.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Twitch will get their poster boy back up and running by the end of the day

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he stays banned, but you know he'll be back stronger than before.

They do. When Lirik was (wrongfully) banned, the ban was issued by UEFA and not Twitch.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably DMCA

Which means basically everyone is fucked if Doc is getting banned for that

He has been raising money for charity all month too

Khaidu

Oct 28, 2017
He'll be back soon with the full support of Twitch, and probably a welcome back event or something.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Is it really a mystery though? I assume he's probably being banned for similar reasons as the rest of the people banned over the last couple days.

That's a pretty ignorant comment. Have there even been any sexual assault allegations against Dr. Disrespect? I mean I know he cheated on his wife, but that seems a bit different from everything else on-going.

It's almost surely a DMCA takedown.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If it is DMCA related I'm surprised that Twitch wouldn't clean it up on their own rather than banning.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Well this is terrible timing regardless. Hopefully it's DMCA or some abuse of mass reporting.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
We really shouldn't be concerned that is is Dr. Disrespect. Say what you will and that he should be banned for other reasons, that's fine. But such a high profile streamer getting banned for DMCA is a bad precedent. DCMA is a plague.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, it's not going to be permanent.

If him filming children in a public bathroom doesn't stop him, he's basically untouchable at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
We really shouldn't be concerned that is is Dr. Disrespect. Say what you will and that he should be banned for other reasons, that's fine. But such a high profile streamer getting banned for DMCA is a bad precedent. DCMA is a plague.

This is exactly my worry. If it is happening to someone like Doc it is going to happen a whole lot more to much smaller streamers with far fewer resources available to get back on the platform. For some during a pandemic it will be akin to being fired from their job.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Thing is after the ban he will come back with a huge welcome back stream and make a TON of extra money with people subbing and stuff. Happens every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.