OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
We still don't know if Broly and Kale share a form.

For all we know Kale could be the only Super Saiyan Berserker while Broly has a new power

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Broly with a controlled form of his Berserker state, similar to Kale, would be perfect, so I hope they go for that this time around.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Hit = Win only because Hit throws the match and forfeits

Nope, you got that backwards, Goku had Hit on the ropes, but Goku is the one who forfeits because he wanted to see Monaka fight, however before forfeiting, Goku gave Hit a speech about how they shouldn't be puppets to Beerus and Champa, causing Hit to take a dive against Monaka just to stick it to Champa.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, you got that backwards, Goku had Hit on the ropes, but Goku is the one who forfeits because he wanted to see Monaka fight, however before forfeiting, Goku gave Hit a speech about how they shouldn't be puppets to Beerus and Champa, causing Hit to take a dive against Monaka just to stick it to Champa.
Oh shit you're right.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt they'll kill him. They used the ToP as an excuse to both have him compete and ressurected a second time because of his popularity. Hes strong enough to be a threat but the days of people shitting their pants upon hearing his name are long over as there are too many people across multiple universes that can straight up kick his ass or at least put up a fight. I don't even think Broly's going to die in this movie either. Hes even more popular.
Brody will follow the trend of past viallains becoming allies. Imagine Goku, Frieda, Hit, Jiren, 17, Vegeta and Broly all fighting together.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Broly rabu rabu Kale... it'll be nice to see their kids later on.
As long as they don't do biobroly i am okay with it.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
1531170201888.png

Sounds amazing I'm all in.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Goku also forfeits because he realizes that if Hit is an assassin, his fighting style is based on lethal moves and he's more handicapped by the no kill rule than Goku is. When Goku requests the kill rule be lifted so Hit can fight naturally without fear of disqualification, that prompts the argument between Beerus and Champa that makes Goku forfeit.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Does Broly want booty? His galaxy-destroying habits make it seem like getting his rocks off is the last thing on his mind.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The current Broly is even better than Kale.
Kale is cool for like the few seconds she becomes Broly and they raise the production values, then that teaser goes away, the budget of the animation goes down, and she becomes boring waifu bait again.

Not only is Broly better than Kale, but most characters in this series eclipse her.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much it, I agree. That's the appeal of Broly, him being a powerful warrior that stomps his competition which makes him a spectacle more than a character you watch for the story aspect. So that's really all that is required for him to be Broly even if they change up his story as you stated.
Yep.

Some people hate Broly because of parts of his story but I don't know anyone who loves Broly due to that lmao. Just because people hate that part doesn't mean people love it. Broly's just a straight up strong dude who wrecks stuff. He's the Braun Strowman of DB. He's the Hulk. He's just a beast and that's why he's loved.

Guaranteed, Broly is going to come out of this with more fans than he had prior to this announcement. Absolutely.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're gonna ignore Ultra Instinct and Vegeta's Super Blue for this film.

Super Blue or w/e people call it these days is a Toei invention, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's never brought up again.

Ultra Instinct is from Toriyama so it will definitely show up or at the very least be mentioned.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kale has a personality, an arc, people she is friends with, and a romantic interest.

Broly is just an angry generic villain, like dragon balls doomsday
First of all this isn't true and all and Broly does have a personality which I've elaborated on and also linked to someone else who elaborated on earlier in this thread.

Secondly, her personality is practically non existent, her only factor is that she really really really likes Caulifla. She has nothing going on in her head outside of Caulifla. She can't even act without her, that's pretty boring.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Kale has a personality, an arc, people she is friends with, and a romantic interest.

Broly is just an angry generic villain, like dragon balls doomsday

Kale has a generic trope personality, a generic design, and a generic character arc. If it wasn't for the elements she borrowed from Broly she would be virtually nothing.

Broly's writing is pretty unremarkable, but Kale's writing is no better, with the added fact that her relevance is based on Broly's.

Edit:
Actually I'd take back the 'generic design' part. I was associating some of Caulifla's design elements to her in my memory.

Last edited:

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yea kale is so unique that they had to ripoff broly to make her.

We love broly because he wrecks shit.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going back and watching the og Broly film, has reawakened my love for the character. Even though his motivations suck, I love that he's just an asshole.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Kale has a generic trope personality, a generic design, and a generic character arc. If it wasn't for the elements she borrowed from Broly she would be virtually nothing.

Broly's writing is pretty unremarkable, but Kale's writing is no better, with the added fact that her relevance is based on Broly's.
I dunno, I think the Broly stuff shrinkwrapped over her is the worst part of her character. Once they moved past that she was fine. They could've easily went in a more Gohan-like direction with her.

I'd say Kale's biggest enemy is time. She's a side character in an arc full of them. I found her plenty sympathetic for what she was, though.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

You're not wrong.

The only interesting part of Kale is the Broly memberberries

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't care what the story is. I just want to see this sick new art style in motion. We will finally have some good looking action for a change.

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if this is an anime trope, but the irrational behavior that caused her to transform was annoying. I couldn't build a connection to her.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Toriyama already retconned the god stuff in an interview where he basically made it sound like the legend that Shenron told was a mythologized version of it.

According to him, the first Super Saiyan and the first Super Saiyan God were the same person (Yamoshi) who "only" turned Super Saiyan but was overwhelmed when he ran out of strength. A Namekian elder was able to sense Yamoshi's spirit and sympathized with him and wrote down the god stuff, where the ritual is supposed to symbolize the Saiyan comrades that fought alongside Yamoshi against the evil Saiyans. Yamoshi's spirit itself causes the God transformation.

I know this doesn't really match up with what was said in Battle of Gods, but that's what Toriyama said last year:

On a side note, no official word was ever given that the Super movie was about Yamoshi, it was just that Toriyama gave this interview shortly before the movie was announced and "the history of the Saiyans" was detailed as the subject, which lead people to assume that the Saiyan in the teaser was a revived Yamoshi.

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to chew on this new info for a bit, but I guess it's nice that Toriyama's making some attempt to make sense of all this.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh goody time to start shit talking one of the few female fighters we have tha has any chance of actually staying relevant. Goody.

I'm indifferent to Broly but I'm really irritated by his fans need to shit on Kale. Yeah her personality isn't exactly the most original but since when did we start criticizing fucking Dragon Ball for that?

She had an arc and personality, wether you liked it is entirely up to you but it's there. Also I found the dynamic with her controlled form more interesting then her just being space hulk. Literally the entire conclusion to her story is getting away from just being "female Broly."

And I like her relationship with Caulifla.

I swear this leading to more "yeah put those #%*$& in their place" from certain parts of the fandom is my biggest fear about this whole thing. Because the idea of women that don't just instantly worship Goku seems to really bother certain people for some reason.

Speaking of I'm not actually fond of that comparison because it implies that the only reason people like the Hulk is smashing. They've done a lot of interesting stuff with the character and even the MCU is giving him a character arc.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how Toriyama likes to do things in his own way Broly's most powerful form may be a much smaller form.

I doubt they want to mess with him to much due to marketing but man I'd love to see his fans reaction if they made him "puny."

Actually that's something I'm wondering. You have people here saying the reason people like Broly is that he smashes shit. Soooo what happens if they try to make him more then that in this movie? Do they want there to be more to this character?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confident that as long as he's clotheslining people, and picking them up by their heads, people will be satisfied with Toriyama's Broly. And I'm pretty confident that's what we'll see.

Nov 1, 2017
I doubt they want to mess with him to much due to marketing but man I'd love to see his fans reaction if they made him "puny."

Actually that's something I'm wondering. You have people here saying the reason people like Broly is that he smashes shit. Soooo what happens if they try to make him more then that in this movie? Do they want there to be more to this character?

I'm sure we'll get his big muscle form but it might not be the only look for him considering how Toriyama has characters whose final form was smaller than the previous large ones.

Broly himself is not a bad character or concept, hell Jiren isn't that different in many ways nor is Kale especially, a lot of people tend to hate on Broly largely thanks to the second and third movies which are truly god awful. The first one was pretty good, and he actually displayed a cruel sadistic side, there definitely was more to him than smash everything but his strength is what people tend to obsess over for negative or positive. It really doesn't take much to flush him out and with a new take we're bound to get exact that to satisfy some.