• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Once you hire pawns, you wouldn't have to be online anymore until you need to hire new pawns.

That's the thing though. I believe that if you lose your hireling for whatever reason (don't pull a rez in time, gets thrown off a cliff, gets dispelled by a Dragon or other late game/DLC enemy), you can't get it back until you reconnect. YOUR pawn will come back no matter what when next you hit up a rift stone. But if you hit up a rift stone while offline, I don't think you'll be able to grab your friends' pawns again until you're back online. Could be wrong, but I think that's how it worked in all other versions. It'd be nice if this version kept "offline copies" of your friends' pawns in the rift world, updating them with fresh copies whenever you're online again, but I don't think that's how it works.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting it, I had the game on PS3, PC, and PS4 and I still never beat BBI. Might get Days Gone instead but I'm not sure.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't understand whats up with the triple
quadruple and quintuple dippers
It's the best game. Ever.
And the re-releases are never full price.

- I rented the original and bought Dark Arisen on the 360.
- bought it again on PC because they fixed the dodgy performance and I could have mods (not that there were many).
- bought it again on PS4 because I don't like playing games on my PC, which is primarily used for recording music anyway. Also I feel fine buying the game again because I love it and like to show support.
- I'm buying it again on Switch because it's portable, and I'm happy to show my support for the game.
- ... I'll probably buy the PS5/2X port if there is one.

Edit: Actually, if they ever patch in a proper 4K mode into the XB1X version I'd legit buy it there too for that reason. Maybe I have a problem.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

- bought it again on PC because they fixed the dodgy performance and I could have mods (not that there were many).
- bought it again on PS4 because I don't like playing games on my PC, which is primarily used for recording music anyway. Also I feel fine buying the game again because I love it and like to show support.
- I'm buying it again on Switch because it's portable, and I'm happy to show my support for the game.

Edit: Actually, if they ever patch in a proper 4K mode into the XB1X version I'd legit buy it there too for that reason. Maybe I have a problem.
Sounds good can't wait to see whats this about, yeah re-releases not being full price is a big plus , Square Enix should learn from Capcom, and Capcom should learn from Capcom not to overprice Resident Evil :^P

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta

It's not a problem, whenever DD2 is released we shall rejoice for all shall know tis weak to fire!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm probably going to jump into this blind once the semester is over.

I've heard too many good things about it at this point not to give it a go.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Word of advice for the Dark Arisen content. The recommended level that Capcom suggests for the island is bullshit. It's too low and the gear that you're at that point isn't good enough.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
  1. There are missable quests in the game, all of which can be pretty easy to miss if you don't know any better. My advice? Don't sweat it and play as you will. The ONE exception, the ONE quest chain you simply can't afford to miss, happens really early on... At an early point, someone will run up to you and inform you that a girl's gone missing. Whatever you do, see this quest through before you do the later Main Quest mission that asks you to enter the area underneath the Pawn Guild, as doing so is the point where the missing girl mission vanishes from your log. Completing the missing girl mission will at a slightly later point in the game give you exclusive access to a very important side-area of a dungeon location which contains extremely important lore and items, among them a unique crafting material that doesn't appear anywhere else and a fast travel beacon, of which there are a scant handful in the game.

Is this referring to

the witches' pawn becoming human and the pawn-human cycle thing?

I just recently finished the game on PC and wanted to make sure I didn't miss something big.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i've purchased this game like 4 times. Yes, it's that good.

It hits almost all the right notes and satisfies me like few games can.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017

I never could get into most souls games, but I did love demons souls.

This is more like a traditional action rpg but with probably the best combat in one. It feels more like a party based character/stylish action game plus I love the character customization/creation.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
There is no soft level cap right? Xp is and levels don't just grind to a halt and your always working toward something?

Do you gimp yourself at all sticking with one vocation for too long, even if it gets to lvl9?

I only have vague memories of my original go at this game, and so much of it was missable quest/achievement hunting paranoia that I'm glad I won't suffer from on the switch knowing only one real sidequest matters and no achieve/trophies.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Say you don't want to switch to warrior or mystic knight, is fighter viable for endgame?
I've never taken on any of the big bosses as a Warrior, I find them slower and more difficult to play late game.
The combined classes (Assassin, Mystic Knight, and especially Magic Archer) are recommended for the Dark Arisen content, but I'm pretty sure most classes are viable. Except maybe Mage, as it gets outclassed by Sorcerer skills most of the time.
That said it's recommended to level up some in all classes so you can get the passive augments. Leveling as a Warrior can get you an augment that lowers physical damage, which is pretty useful for all classes.

Edit:
There is no soft level cap right? Do you gimp yourself at all sticking with one vocation for too long, even if it gets to lvl9?
It caps at level 200, and yes you can kinda gimp yourself in a way, but I'd really advise against "min-maxing" your character.
If you never level any of the magic classes, and decide to try out Magic Archer at level 200 you will have the lowest possible magic ability. You can still do it though, as your stats aren't as important as your equipment in DD.

Leveling as a Fighter class puts priority on your strength/health, Strider classes highlight stamina, etc, so it's advisable to get a few levels in all of them during your 200 levels :)
As I mentioned above, it's more worth changing classes for the passive augments anyway.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Those videos do look awesome! I'm not super into Japanese action games and could never really get into Dark Souls. Something about gothic games don't really do it for me. Wasn't huge into Dragon Age, Monster Hunter or DMC, either.

But I do like a good Fantasy with good combat. Is it more like The Witcher? I loved that.

witcher's combat is like a joke compared to this game..it not even come close..people often mention dragon's dogma and dark soul when talking about combat
witcher combat had tons of flaw but this game basically had none and done thing in very satisfying way

i'm afraid you wont be able to get back to witcher after playing this game

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
They secretly will never do it, Itsuno was just teasing, he will bring the older games in HD someday though and grace the Switch after Dragon's Dogma passes the test

Or you saying I can do shit like this on a plane?
giphy.gif

This should have happened last year.

Itsuno get on it.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
My copy arrives tomorrow. I know hardly anything about this game but I'm hoping it scratches my open world exploration/combat itch. Hopefully all the praise I'm seeing about it is true for me as well.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
How does everyone have this already? It releases tomorrow?
Outside of the US most eshops unlocks preloads at midnight.

Except on Thursday because that's the general Eshop update day so for some bizarre reason they don't unlock until the eshop updates at noon.

In the US it's almost always noon regardless except for first party titles 🤷‍♀️

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
i am tempted to get this because i need to play through it again and it looks like a great port, plus playing on a platform near launch is cool because of the
Ur-Dragon
probably will just play again on PC because i don't need to be droppin extra dough on games, plus it's 144 fps

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Used to play this on PS3, finished base game but never touched DLC, and was waiting for Switch release but caved and bought it on PS4 a week ago.
Playing on hard and it's as fun as I remember.

Question though! How do I get better gear? I remember buying and upgrading from the shop on PS3, but so far I have yet to see any new good stuff there and I just started the Griffon quest. Still running around in one of the sets I had in the storage when I started.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Used to play this on PS3, finished base game but never touched DLC, and was waiting for Switch release but caved and bought it on PS4 a week ago.
Playing on hard and it's as fun as I remember.

Question though! How do I get better gear? I remember buying and upgrading from the shop on PS3, but so far I have yet to see any new good stuff there and I just started the Griffon quest. Still running around in one of the sets I had in the storage when I started.
Some of those items, in particular that hideous dress, are overpowered due to being originally sold as microtransation DLC back in the PS360 days (I think, somebody correct me if I'm confused). The other DLC equipment is being sold at the Black Cat if you want more variety, but they may need to be upgraded before they're any use.
You can try upgrading (and dragonforging, depending on your level) the masterwork equipment from the Gran Soren blacksmith, or give him the golden idol to get better stuff for sale.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the US most eshops unlocks preloads at midnight.

Except on Thursday because that's the general Eshop update day so for some bizarre reason they don't unlock until the eshop updates at noon.

In the US it's almost always noon regardless except for first party titles 🤷‍♀️
This isn't true, 1st party unlocks at midnight on the east coast and most big third party at midnight West coast. Indies generally don't get a midnight release with a few exceptions.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true, 1st party unlocks at midnight on the east coast and most big third party at midnight West coast. Indies generally don't get a midnight release with a few exceptions.
My bad, it's just way more complicated in the US in general then. Nintendo really needs to sort that shit out and just make it consistent like it is outside of the US.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My bad, it's just way more complicated in the US in general then. Nintendo really needs to sort that shit out and just make it consistent like it is outside of the US.
I agree they should be more specific and communicative about the whole thing overall.
Nintendo doesn't choose the release time of eShop games; publishers do. Ironically, Nintendo games do unlock at midnight.

Dragon's Dogma just unlocked at 3AM ET.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just play a few minutes...Already love how this looks and plays on undocked switch. Even this early I can see why this is the type of control people want on an action rpg. haha I already support a sequel on PS5, nextbox and switch next

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
My god, I've only spent an hour with this but I'm already really happy with the quality of this port. Seriously can't believe I'm playing one of my favourite games of all time on a handheld like this. 2019 is too good.

Just play a few minutes...Already love how this looks and plays on undocked switch. Even this early I can see why this is the type of control people want on an action rpg. haha I already support a sequel on PS5, nextbox and switch next
Same! I only really use my Switch in handheld mode so I'm glad the folks who ported this over didn't skimp in this area.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started to play first time. It's 30
Or 60 FPS ? Don't see that typical 30fps judder