• Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
As someone who loves Messiah, I'm so glad they're leaning into Paul's true arc earlier on. I was afraid that, if anything, they'd water it down for a general audience.
Same! Villeneuve just said that the ending of Part 2 is much more sad than the book. I wonder how audiences will react to Paul's transformation.

Last edited:

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
Denis jumping into Paul's darker side and the true message of the series is the right way to go. Herbert basically had to write Messiah because most didn't get the message of Dune lol.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
More Irulan:

View: https://youtu.be/EfLtStz19r0?si=KGKqWKk37AyWWtny

The movie changes POV as the movie progresses:

View: https://x.com/totalfilm/status/1752271136077824021?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ
Chani's limited role in Part One will be greatly expanded in Part Two, even beyond the scope of the novel, with director Denis Villeneuve claiming that "as the movie progresses, there's a shift in the main character, and Chani becomes my reference as a point of view."

View: https://x.com/totalfilm/status/1752334106484998450?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ
"Beyond being an exciting sequence in the movie, it represents a coming of age," Chalamet tells Total Film in our new issue, which features Dune 2 on the cover and is out this Thursday. "It's where Paul's supposed prophecy would fall flat, and it would mean his death if he can't rise to the occasion. So the stakes of that moment are huge, and the doing of it was thrilling. It was industrial fans blowing sand, and a slab of worm was built. It was an amazing experience."

Also, the world premiere is set for February 15 in London. And February 12 in Paris. La Gran Rex reports the premiere showing sold out in 1 minute.

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
it'd never happen, and i'm not sure if even WANT it to happen, but man… seeing what this production team did with the Baron scenes in 1, can you even imagine what they'd do with the imagery of God Emperor of Dune? it'd be wild.
Never say never! I would love for an adaptation to really give book four a solid try.

I honestly think there is a great film adaptation in-waiting with God Emperor--hell, even a great action blockbuster if they wanted to go that route. It's obviously a dialogue heavy book but there are three or four action scenes they could easily make a meal out of.
The opening heist, the face dancer ambush, The Worm out for revenge, and, of course, the bridge.

But what I really want is a flashback montage set to Benny Hill with all of the many ways The Worm and Idaho politely disagreed.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it'd never happen, and i'm not sure if even WANT it to happen, but man… seeing what this production team did with the Baron scenes in 1, can you even imagine what they'd do with the imagery of God Emperor of Dune? it'd be wild.

It can happen, but no one way in a big budget sci-fi movie. Dune 4-6 are just too weird and sexual. Children of Dune is a great trilogy ender and ends the series on an open and slightly more optimistic note than Chapterhouse.

If they do want to adapt Dune 4-6, it would have to be through an adult-focused HBO series ala Game of Thrones.

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
It can happen, but no one way in a big budget sci-fi movie. Dune 4-6 are just too weird and sexual. Children of Dune is a great trilogy ender and ends the series on an open and slightly more optimistic note than Chapterhouse.

If they do want to adapt Dune 4-6, it would have to be through an adult-focused HBO series ala Game of Thrones.
Yea the current Dune hbo show idea is a bit weird when i think on it. Would have expected them to do something more directly tied to the films. Hell even making it an original story with some of the movie's characters would perhaps be more hype worthy. Hope its good though.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017

"I, a Duke of a Great House, an Imperial Kinsman, give my word of bond under the Convention. If the Emperor and his people lay down their arms and come to me here I will guard their lives with my own."

From this point, the story unspools to include a psychopathic Harkonnen heir (Austin Butler), a possible future interplanetary princess (Florence Pugh), and an embryo who advises her mother from the womb.

Great article, was about to post it myself. Although, I don't remember Alia advising Jessica from the womb in the book. That could be how he solves the Alia "issue" instead of having a child act as a mature 4-year old or cg her. Interesting.

New promo about Feyd:

View: https://x.com/dunemovie/status/1752738182108790881?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Although, I don't remember Alia advising Jessica from the womb in the book.
She doesn't:
The last chapter of Part 2 is Jessica undergoing the spice essence ritual, then it immediately time jumps to Part 3 where Alia is already alive and weirding everyone out.

But yeah, this seems to be the case that he is avoiding Alia this way. Bummer!
Well I wonder who makes the deadly climactic strike now, if not Alia. Jessica seems like the obvious choice?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
really excited to see austin's portrayal of feyd

She doesn't:
The last chapter of Part 2 is Jessica undergoing the spice essence ritual, then it immediately time jumps to Part 3 where Alia is already alive and weirding everyone out.

Well I wonder who makes the deadly climactic strike now, if not Alia. Jessica seems like the obvious choice?

If Denis is really skipping Alia, which would be strange, then that means he's also skipping
Leto II
I guess it just simplifies things if he goes down that route.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
She doesn't:

I wouldn't jump to that yet. There are plenty of possibilities. It could just be an added moment, or maybe the timeline is shifting a bit.

Maybe Jessica undergoing the ritual is shifted earlier in the story. I don't see them pulling off the story without the time jump. And Jessica is already pregnant in Part 1.

And Denis has been so insistent on Dune Messiah, where Alia is a main character. Why would they NOT introduce her here?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
really excited to see austin's portrayal of feyd
If Denis is really skipping Alia, which would be strange, then that means he's also skipping
Leto II
I guess it just simplifies things if he goes down that route.

Are you talking about the first Leto II, who dies in the first book? I actually could totally see them skipping that. I've always thought the baby's inclusion in the first book is a weird footnote rather than a substantial addition to the story.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Part I over the weekend, and Alia is already in that movie as a newborn. I'm not going to watch any of these previews, but I still don't think he's avoiding Alia so much as just not showing her in the previews.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the first Leto II, who dies in the first book? I actually could totally see them skipping that. I've always thought the baby's inclusion in the first book is a weird footnote rather than a substantial addition to the story.
Yeah the first one. I guess it wouldn't matter that much.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't jump to that yet. There are plenty of possibilities. It could just be an added moment, or maybe the timeline is shifting a bit.

Maybe Jessica undergoing the ritual is shifted earlier in the story. I don't see them pulling off the story without the time jump. And Jessica is already pregnant in Part 1.

I'm not sure the ritual could be shifted any earlier than it is in the book; I might be wrong but if I remember the book correctly the ritual happens almost immediately upon their first arrival at sietch Tabr, like just a few days after, which is exactly the moment movie 1's ending leads into.

But yeah, the big question is the time jump. Denis would be condensing it considerably if he plans on keeping Alia a disembodied voice in Jessica's head but I suppose its possible. They arrive at the sietch, Jessica undergoes the ritual, Alia shouts "yeeeeeehaw! wildcard bitches!" into Jessica's skull, then Paul spends a couple months proving himself and learning to ride a maker, then he himself takes the spice essence, ??????, Paul gives a rousing speech and leads team Atreides to victory over school rival Sigma Kappa Harkonnen to really show up that crusty old dean Shaddam IV. It all just has to be implied to happen within a few months to avoid having people wonder where the baby talking in Jessica's head is at.
I think readers encountering Alia as a toddler is an important part of folks being able to grapple with the trauma she is experiencing, because the weirdness is in sharper relief at that point. But I acknowledge the over-under of pulling that off in a movie is not good so it would not surprise me if she is just a voice-over here.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm not sure the ritual could be shifted any earlier than it is in the book; I might be wrong but if I remember the book correctly the ritual happens almost immediately upon their first arrival at sietch Tabr, like just a few days after, which is exactly the moment movie 1's ending leads into.

But yeah, the big question is the time jump. Denis would be condensing it considerably if he plans on keeping Alia a disembodied voice in Jessica's head but I suppose its possible. They arrive at the sietch, Jessica undergoes the ritual, Alia shouts "yeeeeeehaw! wildcard bitches!" into Jessica's skull, then Paul spends a couple months proving himself and learning to ride a maker, then he himself takes the spice essence, ??????, Paul gives a rousing speech and leads team Atreides to victory over school rival Sigma Kappa Harkonnen to really show up that crusty old dean Shaddam IV. It all just has to be implied to happen within a few months to avoid having people wonder where the baby talking in Jessica's head is at.
I think readers encountering Alia as a toddler is an important part of folks being able to grapple with the trauma she is experiencing, because the weirdness is in sharper relief at that point. But I acknowledge the over-under of pulling that off in a movie is not good so it would not surprise me if she is just a voice-over here.
I think Alia talking in the womb could literally be during the ritual (so we witness the moment Alia is truly "pre-born" in the womb). I just don't see a way to do the story without the substantial time skip and her being born. But we will see.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Leto is in the movie. Chani wears the blue scarf on her head and later on her arm in the trailers.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I still think Leto is in the movie. Chani wears the blue scarf on her head and later on her arm in the trailers.
Yep 100%. I think Chani will be questioning the prophecy during the film, but when Leto 2 is killed she'll go on full revenge mode (just look at the face she makes while fighting in the trailers).

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I would be VERY surprised if that character is in the movie. Pleasantly surprised, though.

Only one month away yall. My hype is through the damn roof.

I guess this is my Alia prediction:
Alia remains in the womb the entire movie. Jessica kills the baron, but Alia speaks through her mother's mouth for that scene, implying Alia is guiding her mother's movements. Not to suggest that Alia was controlling her mother's body, but to suggest that they both did it in tandem, as one.
🤷‍♂

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
New tv spot:

View: https://x.com/secretsofdune/status/1752975787110645787?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

IMG-4057.jpg

IMG-6784.jpg

IMG-6786.jpg

IMG-6789.jpg

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I would be VERY surprised if that character is in the movie. Pleasantly surprised, though.

Only one month away yall. My hype is through the damn roof.

I guess this is my Alia prediction:
Alia remains in the womb the entire movie. Jessica kills the baron, but Alia speaks through her mother's mouth for that scene, implying Alia is guiding her mother's movements. Not to suggest that Alia was controlling her mother's body, but to suggest that they both did it in tandem, as one.
🤷‍♂
I guess I personally am not a fan at all of the idea that Paul's rise to power with the Fremen happens in… 8 months, tops?

I'm actually not against the idea of Alia staying in womb for the story. It's what that would mean for the timeline of events that concerns me.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Denis on the black-and-white of Giedi Prime:

Giedi Prime in black and white is what the planet looks like. Denis Villeneuve said, "I loved the idea that in different worlds, the laws of physics could be different. Maybe there are some stars in the universe where the light doesn't reveal colors. It's the opposite, it kills colors. I thought a black-and-white world would fit with their primitive mentality." It's described that rather than simply desaturating the image in post, and otherworldly effect was achieved by strapping infrared lenses to the large format cameras.

There's more details in the Total Film article.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The music in the Paul-Chani scene is so good! And I love Irulan's whole speech of religion in that Emperor clip. Everything about this movie seem to line up something sublime. And I didn't like the first movie that much, but I'm so hopeful for the sequel.

Also, the cast interview with Jimmy Kimmel:

View: https://youtu.be/lEgqCXJ5Jk0?si=HmNBm-dO5tGV3MtF

Last edited:

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
So I got an email offering to buy tickets for part 2 for IMAX and it says on the site that the only participating IMAX in the UK is London. What a shambles.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be pretty bummed if

Alia is just in the womb the entire time. It's not like we haven't seen Alia in two live action adaptions previously, and it's not like you can't get the right child actor to play crazily adult and aware characters without bringing "creepy horror movie kid" tropes to it - Kirsten Dunst proved that years ago in Interview with the Vampire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/vanityfair/status/1753406854053474381?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

"That's how the book ends," Villeneuve tells Vanity Fair. "The Dune book ends with the beginning of something that is out of control, and I thought this was a very powerful ending. I feel that both movies complete the adaptation of the book, and I feel very good about that. When people ask me, is there a world where I could do Messiah? Yes…"

The Messiah novel takes place 12 years after the conclusion of the first book, so Chalamet's Paul Atreides may be hanging from that cliff for a while before the audience revisits his situation. "I will respect again Frank Herbert's idea to jump in time. That's what I would love to do," Villeneuve says.

IMG-4095.jpg

IMG-4096.jpg

IMG-4097.jpg

Christopher Nolan has just called Dune 2 Denis' Empire Strikes Back at a Tenet 70mm screening:

View: https://x.com/johnnysobczak/status/1753673055174262905?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

It seems Denis has just said at the screening that he's made Part Two more tragic than the book by including elements from Messiah, and that he's staying true to the intentions of Frank Herbert.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting how Zendaya describes the end, I wonder if the focus will be on her POV as she observes the fanaticism of the Fremen and she understands how that will destroy them. Perhaps there will also be exposition of what Paul sees and Chani recognizes that's the future they're headed to (I recall that the 2nd half is going to be more from her POV).

IMO Villeneuve already started seeding the dark path in part 1 very subtly by emphasizing Paul's visions of alternate paths where the man he kills is a trusted friend lending him wisdom.
I thought it was pretty explicit with the tent vision

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Denis talks about Frank's initial intention with Dune and how he's incorporating it into Part Two:

View: https://youtu.be/f_40RT7l2FE?si=Ekxdviwl05cNX_aO

Rebecca talks about the water of life:

View: https://youtu.be/ktLSYRGHb8Y?si=ZyCouDrFyyB3spB0

View: https://youtu.be/qIKcKD6SO7k?si=9DDSCcwf01WfFOqR

There might be a chance Denis' next film could be Dune Messiah:
theplaylist.net

Denis Villeneuve Says He Needs To “Dream” More Then Decide If He Makes ‘Dune: Messiah’ Or Takes “A Detour”

Denis Villeneuve says he's not sure if he's making ‘Dune: Messiah’ next or taking a detour but is still working on the script.

"Listen, you're sweet , but I'm doing press for 'Part Two,' and once the movie is out, I intend to go back into the snow and dream a little bit to see if I'm going back to Arrakis right away or if I'm taking a detour just for mental sanity, to take a little distance and get rejuvenated."

"I have other stories I want to tell, and I'll see…," he teased. "The first script that's ready to go in front of cameras [will be the one]. The thing I don't want to do is make compromises, those books are precious, too important to me. If I bring 'Dune: Messiah' to the screen, it has to be with the best screenplay possible, and I want to make sure we don't compromise."

Florence Pugh talks about the scene she got to shoot with Zendaya:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
More interviews. They seem to be speaking about the ending again so beware if you don't wanna know anything about it:

View: https://youtu.be/ydZqnZMpILo?si=raA2JnSzbndsvrdm

View: https://youtu.be/x2GboXz0X_k?si=KseUjGMhAGIiJdEJ

youtu.be

Timothée Chalamet & Austin Butler on EPIC ‘Dune 2’ Fight Scene (Exclusive)

Timothée Chalamet and Austin Butler sat down with “Extra’s” Terri Seymour to talk “Dune: Part Two.” Austin spoke about joining this sequel after being a “mas...

youtu.be

'Dune 2': Zendaya & Florence Pugh FANGIRL Over Each Other’s Style! (Exclusive)

Zendaya and Florence Pugh chatted with “Extra’s” Terri Seymour about “Dune: Part Two.” Zendaya opened up the struggles Chani faces between her own conviction...

Timothee did a whole monologue in the Fremen language that they kept for the final movie.
youtu.be

Dune 2: Timothée Chalamet & Austin Butler Interview

Arrakis is preparing for war in Denis Villeneuve's Dune: Part Two, and at the center of it all stands Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides. After guiding a rebe...

youtu.be

Zendaya & Florence Pugh On Being Each Other's 'Hype Women'

Zendaya and Florence Pugh love hyping one another up! While chatting with Access Hollywood's Scott Evans about the highly-anticipated sequel to "Dune," the s...

Also, a new tv spot with new footage in there:

View: https://x.com/DuneInfo/status/1754483974720664030?s=20

There's around 8 new shots in there.

pF4rmDP.jpeg

giXsOWD.jpeg

HJotL1y.jpeg

9bvhx9C.jpeg

jcg8MTK.jpeg

gXlmuet.jpeg

fwiw i'm enjoying your updates :)
Cool cool. I'll just continue then if nobody's protesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I added more interviews to the post above. I'll probably add more to that post as they come along.

They keep talking about the ending:
The interviewer describes it as a "tragic ending" which goes along with Zendaya's "painful" description. She also says the ending "is pretty brutal.":

View: https://x.com/dayaschanl/status/1754552551985365118?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

Denis just gets it:

View: https://x.com/dayaschanl/status/1754585355838226935?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

Can't wait to see his take on Chani, Irulan and Jessica.

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really misremembering the book ending for thinking these vague descriptions of it sound like a huge departure?

The antagonists lose and the protagonist "wins." The great tragedy is the impending repercussions for the galaxy and the Fremen way of life, but I can't imagine that's what they're talking about here when they describe the ending as painful and brutal. These sort of descriptions usually apply to deaths of characters that viewers like, but no one dies like that in the book right? Do we think we'll see someone die who doesn't die in the book? Unless Leto II is in the movie after all...