• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
What are you talking about? Moses wouldn't have seen him and his siblings being indoctrinated by his mom? Heck, he was the one at the trial who outright rejected Woody and said he refused to see him ever again.
The assault he claims didn't happen. That he somehow knows for sure didn't happen while she's adamant it did.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The nature of that breakup between Woody and Mia has unfortunately muddled this story with plenty of reasonable doubt at this point. I don't really know what to believe. I'm certainly not 100% into thinking woody molested and abused his children tho. But at the same time even if his relationship with Soon Yi is legal, it's also creepy as shit and I understand why people are so quick to believe he did abuse (coupled with comments from Mias kids). I agree though that it bears little relevance to this Dylan Farrow case.
Not true. It's actually very relevant, as the situation with Soon-Yi was what the judge referred to regularly during his rejection of his plea for custody. His relationship with Soon-Yi is highly connected to the way things shook out.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/08/nyregion/allen-loses-to-farrow-in-bitter-custody-battle.html
The assault he claims didn't happen. That he somehow knows for sure didn't happen while she's adamant it did.
He's never made that claim. He said he doesn't believe it happened. His claims from the beginning have been as follows:

1.) Mia Farrow was always an abusive mother, physically and verbally. He claims that he and his siblings were regularly beaten severely into being unflinchingly obedient.

2.) Dylan's recollection of events does not match the physical dimensions and description of the attic in their home. Moses' stance was supported by Mia's comments at the original custody trial.

3.) Mia actively tried to turn the kids against Woody, brainwashing them. He said any attempt to make contact with Woody resulted in severe beatings and verbal condemnation. They were beaten into believing negative things about Woody, and threatened regularly with more violence.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true though. It's weird to assume such an extreme position based on a wrong assumption. She wasn't his adopted daughter. And according to her own memories they didn't even interact that much.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast

Regardless its his more or less step daughter, he dated the woman for over 10 years and Im not buying he never stayed at her house or soent any time with her kids even if it is an adoption from a previous marriage he was still seeing her mother for so freaking long. I could never imagine dating a woman with a adopted daughter, things going south between us, then dating and getting married to her child years later? Jesus fucking christ man Its creepy as fuck and you think that would of made the guy second guess even going for that.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless its his more or less step daughter, he dated the woman for over 10 years and Im not buying he never stayed at her house or soent any time with her kids even if it is an adoption from a previous marriage he was still seeing her mother for so freaking long. I could never imagine dating a woman with a adopted daughter, things going south between us, then dating and getting married to her child years later? Jesus fucking christ man Its creepy as fuck and you think that would of made the guy second guess even going for that.
Typically I would agree with this. But by all accounts WA never stayed at Farrows place overnight, and never had any connection with her. We aren't talking about a typical relationship between WA and MF. So all accounts of what would normally happen in a 10 year relationship are irrelevant.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's an article on the phenomenon, based on the satanic panic allegations in the 80s and 90s that sources some research on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/nov/24/false-memories-abuse-convict-innocent

Ummmm This is not the same thing and you know it. This is NOT brainwashing. this is about repressed memory. Try again.

Uhm yes? If the entire body of the government told you Trump was a descendant of God and that is rammed into you as a child in school, how is that NOT brainwashing?

So then it's settled. Teaching your child religion is brainwashing. I listened to a lot of conservative talk radio growing up. Seriously, I grew up, with NO input from my parents, listening to WABC talk radio. I'm not a conservative, I HATE Ronald Reagan and i've never voted republican. My mother didn't talk about politics. Was i brainwashed?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here's an article on the phenomenon, based on the satanic panic allegations in the 80s and 90s that sources some research on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/nov/24/false-memories-abuse-convict-innocent

If what Moses says is true, Dylan would have PTSD for many, many decades. She still could be suffering narcissistic abuse right now.

She may never get better. Is she seeing a therapist who specializes in PTSD and/or being raised by parents with BPD and NPD? Is Mia still in her life?

I don't get this "you can't be brainwashed for 34 years" stuff. It's absurd. You can believe complete nonsense for an entire lifetime.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If what Moses says is true, Dylan would have PTSD for many, many decades. She still could be suffering narcissistic abuse right now.

She may never get better. Is she seeing a therapist who specializes in PTSD and/or being raised by parents with BPD and NPD? Is Mia still in her life?

I don't get this "you can't be brainwashed for 34 years" stuff. It's absurd.
Mia is still actively in the lives of Dylan and Ronan. Moses eventually came out with his story, reconnected with Woody, and cut all ties with Mia in the mid-2000s.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Ummmm This is not the same thing and you know it. This is NOT brainwashing. this is about repressed memory. Try again.

So then it's settled. Teaching your child religion is brainwashing. I listened to a lot of conservative talk radio growing up. Seriously, I grew up, with NO input from my parents, listening to WABC talk radio. I'm not a conservative, I HATE Ronald Reagan and i've never voted republican. My mother didn't talk about politics. Was i brainwashed?
This is off topic, so I am not going to go further into it. I would suggest reading up on the history of Japan between 1850 and leading up to WWII. If I am being mistaken here, someone feel free to correct me.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The nature of that breakup between Woody and Mia has unfortunately muddled this story with plenty of reasonable doubt at this point. I don't really know what to believe. I'm certainly not 100% into thinking woody molested and abused his children tho. But at the same time even if his relationship with Soon Yi is legal, it's also creepy as shit and I understand why people are so quick to believe he did abuse (coupled with comments from Mias kids). I agree though that it bears little relevance to this Dylan Farrow case.

Tbh he should just retire already. Nobody wants to work with him anymore after this mess being brought to light again and his latest works have been trash anyways. He used to be a great artist tho (no this isn't an endorsement of his entire being, miss me with those stupid posts lumping people into a 'defense force')
Pretty much exactly where I stand.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

I don't get this "you can't be brainwashed for 34 years" stuff. It's absurd. You can believe complete nonsense for an entire lifetime.

If you are told something happened to you when you were 7, and that "lie" (if it was a lie) was drilled into your head non stop, why WOULD you change your mind? Its not like our recollections from when we were 7 are great, especially in a abusive household like what Mia did. Plus the fact that if it IS untrue, image the mental barriers you would have to break through after all that time to accept that your mother convinced you of all that crap.

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany

It is about implanting false memories in the heads of people. Children are generally more susceptible to this, but also adults are prone to such manipulations. This was just me showing you an article with some examples how this actually happens, which you said is not possible.

The point is, it is possible that Allen molested her. It's also possible Mia planted those memories in her head. It's also possible that Mia is an abusive parent AND Woody is a pedophile.

But we don't know and the story is just damn muddled.

Also, the interview techniques by officials and social workers at that time were lacking. Here a quote from the satanic panic Wikipedia page:

"During the "satanic panic" of the 1980s, the techniques used by investigators to gather evidence from witnesses, particularly young children, evolved to become very leading, coercive and suggestive, pressuring young children to provide testimony and refusing to accept denials while offering inducements that encouraged false disclosures.[44][118][36] The interviewing techniques used were the factors believed to have led to the construction of the bizarre disclosures of SRA by the children[112][119] and changes to forensic and interviewing techniques since that time has resulted in a disappearance of the allegations.[12] Analysis of the techniques used in two key cases (the McMartin preschool and Wee Care Nursery Schooltrials) concluded that the children were questioned in a highly suggestive manner. Compared with a set of interviews from Child Protective Services, the interviews from the two trials were "significantly more likely to (a) introduce new suggestive information into the interview, (b) provide praise, promises, and positive reinforcement, (c) express disapproval, disbelief, or disagreement with children, (d) exert conformity pressure, and (e) invite children to pretend or speculate about supposed events.""

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
There are people ITT drawing comparisons to satanic ritual abuse panic and WWII Japan.

Think about that.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
When talking about the break up keep in mind it happened because Mia Farrow found nude pictures of of her adopted daughter in Woody's possession who he had been cheating and with and was the cause of said break up.

Also keep in mind the assault was reported to Mia farrow by a babysitter who told her employer about this. So this is not some random event that had nothing to do with outside observers. Her brother would frankly have no idea, only Dylan herself would know.

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
There are people ITT drawing comparisons to satanic ritual abuse panic and WWII Japan.

Think about that.

It is an example to explain how false memories can be created and stick with persons, not a comparison of the actual situation. I tried to make this as clear as possible, but obviously I either failed or you just want to intentionally get that wrong to make me look bad.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
It is an example to explain how false memories can be created and stick with persons, not a comparison of the actual situation. I tried to make this as clear as possible, but obviously I either failed or you just want to intentionally get that wrong to make me look bad.
Its a simple illustration point to show that people CAN be indoctrinated to believe things that are heavily pushed on them at a young age.
The comparisons are disingenuous at best and absurd to the point of laughter at worst.

It's very clear exactly what ya'll are doing.

Oct 26, 2017
eb9.gif

When talking about the break up keep in mind it happened because Mia Farrow found nude pictures of of her adopted daughter in Woody's possession

giphy.gif

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When talking about the break up keep in mind it happened because Mia Farrow found nude pictures of of her adopted daughter in Woody's possession who he had been cheating and with and was the cause of said break up.

Also keep in mind the assault was reported to Mia farrow by a babysitter who told her employer about this. So this is not some random event that had nothing to do with outside observers. Her brother would frankly have no idea, only Dylan herself would know.
What does any of this have to do with what I said?

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're now using BRAINWASHING to defend Woody Allen?

Just say you don't think he did it because you like his movies.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Its a simple illustration point to show that people CAN be indoctrinated to believe things that are heavily pushed on them at a young age.
The incident being reported had nothing to do with Mia Farrow. The incident was reported by Dylan's babysitter who told her employer. This isn't random brainwashing. At most this her convincing her daughter of an externally reported event she believed happened. Which can easily taken as making her daughter aware (a child) that she was sexually assaulted.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
The incident being reported had nothing to do with Mia Farrow. The incident was reported by Dylan's babysitter who told her employer. This isn't random brainwashing. At most this her convincing her daughter of an externally reported event she believed happened. Which can easily taken as making her daughter aware (a child) that she was sexually assaulted.
Ok, so correct me if I am wrong, but Dylan told the babysitter, who told the employer who then told Mia? I mean it is still irrelevant as Mia could still have convinced her she had been sexually abused before Dylan told the babysitter, but this is a new aspect I did not know.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, so correct me if I am wrong, but Dylan told the babysitter, who told the employer who then told Mia? I mean it is still irrelevant as Mia could still have convinced her she had been sexually abused before Dylan told the babysitter, but this is a new aspect I did not know.
Dylan didn't tell anyone. Her friends baby sitter saw Allen with his face in her lap and then informed her employer who told Mia. A daycare worker reported that Dylan at another point disappeared for 20 mins and came back with no underwear. Mia Farrow asked her about this and she said he had touched her privates (the point in contention) Mia told this to her pediatrician. The pediatrician then told the police.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird how fervently people defend a creepy and abusive rich white old man because he makes movies.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dylan didn't tell anyone. Her baby sitter saw Allen with his face in her lap and then informed her employer who told Mia. A colleague reported that Dylan at another point disappeared for 20 mins and came back with no underwear. Mia Farrow asked her about this and she said he had touched her privates (the point in contention) Mia told this to her pediatrician. The pediatrician then told the police.

Well, Mia told Allen if he didn't give her $7 million dollars she was going to the police, when he refused the police were notified and a team of investigators from Yale-New Haven Hospital, brought in by the Connecticut State Police, investigated and concluded that Dylan was not molested.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh this is a mess. Whatever your take on the situation is I just feel sorry for the kids.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I believe they concluded not to continue to persue the case not that she was not molested. He was still barred from seeing her.

Maybe I didn't read the police report. I was directly quoting form the NTY article which said it concluded she wasn't molested. Either way I think it is safe to say this case is far more complicated than "omg he is obviously guilty of child molestation"

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Mia told Allen if he didn't give her $7 million dollars she was going to the police, when he refused the police were notified and a team of investigators from Yale-New Haven Hospital, brought in by the Connecticut State Police, investigated and concluded that Dylan was not molested.
I also just learned this
On August 6, 1992, Mia made similar accusations of Woody molesting their 4 1/2-year-old son Satchel, but later dropped the charges because "its substance was too insane even for the instigator to stay with."

I also just read:
Monica Thompson (who was not present on August 4, 1992, the day of the alleged abuse, and who resigned from her position in the Farrow household on January 25, 1993), said in deposition that on August 6, 1992, Kristi Groteke (Dylan's babysitter beginning sometime in 1991) told her something different from what she later would testify to at the child custody hearing in 1993: On August 6, 1992, when Kristi drove Monica to the bus stop, she was "very upset;" Kristi told Monica "that she felt guilty allowing Ms. Farrow to say those things about Mr. Allen." Monica also said in deposition that on August 6, 1992, Kristi said: "The day Mr. Allen spent with the kids, she did not have Dylan out of her sight for longer than five minutes and she did not remember Dylan being without her underwear." Kristi Groteke resigned from her position in the Farrow household sometime after testifying at the child custody hearing in 1993: she immediately wrote a tell-all book about Mia and Woody, which was published in May 1994; in 1995, the book was turned into a mini-series by Fox Television, in which Kristi played herself.

13. Monica Thompson, Mia's nanny, charged that: "Ms. Farrow set the stage to report the incident involving Dylan. For several weeks, Ms. Farrow insisted that Mr. Allen not be left alone with Dylan and wanted me to be with them at all times." Monica also said in her deposition: "On several occasions Ms. Farrow asked me if I would be 'on her side.' Ms. Farrow has tried to get me to say that I would support her with these accusations." Monica added that almost immediately after the alleged incident, Moses indicated doubts about what, if anything, had taken place: "Moses came over to me and said that he believes that Ms. Farrow had made up the accusation that was being said by Dylan," Monica said in the sworn affidavit.

14. After the molestation reports were filed, Mia still wanted to work with Woody on the set of 'Husbands and Wives.' Mia also kept on with her plans to star in Woody's next movie, 'Manhattan Murder Mystery,' and placed a call to meet with the wardrobe supervisor on August 9, 1992. The lead female role was written for Mia by Woody but Diane Keaton got the part following the abuse allegations; reportedly, Mia showed up for the first day's shooting, much to Woody's consternation.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they concluded not to continue to persue the case not that she was not molested. He was still barred from seeing her.
Well, the fact he was barred from seeing her was a different case then the criminal one. And we are also talking about the 1990s where the female was almost always given custody, and considering the situation around Soon Yi, and all of these goings on at the time, it would have been surprising for any judge to allow Allen to see Dylan, regardless of if the allegations are true or not.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe I didn't read the police report. I was directly quoting form the NTY article which said it concluded she wasn't molested. Either way I think it is safe to say this case is far more complicated than "omg he is obviously guilty of child molestation"
That's the point. People here were claiming this was all simply brainwashing on Mia's part. There's obviously more to it than that. Unless you assume everyone was in out it there was in fact a reason to believe something had happened or lead someone to such a conclusion. We don't know exactly happened happened to simply say it was brainwashing on account of her brother who wasn't even at the incident seems very odd.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
That's the point. People here were claiming this was all simply brainwashing on Mia's part. There's obviously more to it than that. Unless you assume everyone was in out it there was in fact a reason to believe something had happened or lead someone to such a conclusion. We don't know exactly happened happened to simply say it was brainwashing on account of her brother who wasn't even at the incident seems very odd.
I don't think anyone was saying that was the sole reason to question if it actually happened. It's a reason to question Dylan's memories though.