• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing all these team posts is really bumming me out that Marvel Heroes Online is gOnE fOrEvEr. It was genuinely so fun to just try out characters from that massive roster.

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a guy in reddit was asking last year if someone still have MH installed because he wanted to unlock the files to gain access at least the hubs. I loose track of it.

Really excited for MUA3 even if the game is not long. Not sure about buying the dlc because i spent a lot of money in games this year.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all these team posts is really bumming me out that Marvel Heroes Online is gOnE fOrEvEr. It was genuinely so fun to just try out characters from that massive roster.
I'm not a PC Gamer, but I racked up more than 600 hours on MHO. It evolved so much over time. I was sad to see it end, however, I'm glad that Ultimate Alliance was revived in its wake.

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
My body is ready! I wish I could still get the remaster on Xbox one. Missed out and forgot to buy it before it got delisted.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
When you guys think the reviews will go up?
Tues/weds, this is big enough they sent it out early and they aren't going to have the embargo lift same day as the comic con panel, they'd be fighting for attention.
Crap, sub-10 hours? :( I was expecting at least 15h+ for main story :(
12-18 range. Most levels seems to take a hour or longer depending on your skill level and that's on the easiest difficulty and then any infinity rifts you find in the level and do will also prolong your story time. We know there's at least 12 story levels too that have been shown and there may be some they've hidden too

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with this. FE comes out the week after and it's looking massive... I hope to be able to knock the story mode for this game out of the way before then

I've got both icons (and mario maker lmao) sitting on my Switch now and I'm pretty hype to be able to bounce between them depending on my mood. If money was absolutely no object, I'd probably have Builders 2, too.

In terms of the longevity of Ultimate Alliance 3, it's a shame, this is one of those Nintendo games that I would actually try to "platinum" if there were trophies. From what we have seen so far, there are a couple of things after the campaign (which we can only guess about the length of since Devs are literally never accurate pre-release about how long their games are.) that are looking to keep our collective attention.

1. Replaying the campaign, in a new game plus-like setting, is actually fun! Having just beaten UA 1 & 2, I can attest that the unlockable difficulty option actually adds a ton of value. You go in feeling like you have the game "figured out," and blocking and dodging become way more important as enemies can really rip through your health. I know a lot of games with NG+ don't actually entice me enough to play them, but given the large roster and continuous enhancement of your heroes, there's enough there to make it seem worth it, especially since I find the general gameplay to just be really fun.

2. The Infinity Trials are a pretty big question mark right now in terms of how much content they will add, and especially if they will be set or updating/rotating.

Looking at past games, there have always been challenges separate from the main campaign that you can tackle at your leisure. These challenges consisted of slight twists to the usual gameplay, and they were actually a nice little distraction. From what we've seen so far, the infinity trials takes the same idea and updates it for a modern audience, while just generally putting more emphasis on it.

Some challenges in UA 2 included:
- A room full of constantly spawning enemies which, on death, would give you more time in the room, so you were trying to last as long as possible.
- A larger room with multiple points to run between that you would need to capture and hold while fending off enemies.
- combat challenges against specific foes
- combat challenges that would restrict you from using your powers.
- and more.

Something I liked about UA 1's challenges that I don't think was included in UA 2 was the inclusion of character-specific missions. During Ultimate Aliiance's campaign, you would find collectibles that unlocked a character-specific mission which, if I am remembering correctly, would unlock something specifically for that character after beating it. These missions would eliminate your team in favor of forcing you to play as one character and then end with a character-specific boss fight. They were fun! And it was always a nice challenge and change of pace to have to figure out how to play with just one character.

Focusing back on Ultimate Alliance 3, we have seen a tiny bit of footage of Captain America in, what appears to be, an infinity trial that eliminated the other 3 heroes on a typical 4 person team. So, I'm sure we'll see a healthy mix of what was featured in the previous games, but again, the extent of these challenges remains to be seen.

Something I am particularly curious about is if we will see more Infinity Trials appear AFTER the game is released. At first glance, they vague resemble something like towers or multiverses in the Mortal Kombat/Injustice games. I really like how those rotate based on an online schedule and always give you something new to check out. If that was the case, I am sure we would have heard about it by now, but I am starting to think that DLC packs will come with their own Infinity Trials that you can then beat to unlock costumes or whatever based on the pack's theme.

3. The last thing the game appears to be offering in terms of longevity is in regards to the expansion pass. The description is kinda vague, but also wide in terms of all it offers.

"DLC packs will contain new content such as playable characters, modes, and additional story"

So, in addition to new characters to play around with, we'll also be receiving new modes and additional "story." I'm expecting short campaigns focusing on, or perhaps restricted to, the new characters added in the packs, and that would be great! I'm mostly curious about what new modes they have planned. A part of me wants a silly PvP mode to be added, even if it's horribly balanced and you can only play with your friends, it could be a fun distraction! If that's unreasonable, some kind of competitive online mode would be really cool, like a race to defeat enemies or clear objectives.

ALL OF THIS is to say that I don't THINK the game is gonna have content problems, but a lot of questions will be answered in like a week, so I probably shouldn't have spent the time writing all of this

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question for you guys. Do you intend to use the iso 8 to make your characters comic accurate or make them all super powerful?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think the story of the game is likely to be 8-9 hours but then have a lot of additional content, like Hyrule Warriors.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a few Youtube ads for the game, but can't help but feel like Nintendo is not taking advantage of having an exclusive co-op marvel action game with a crap ton of characters on their platform.

Hopefully, the content they have saved to reveal at comic-con will draw enough attention to the game before launch like the Joker announcement helped with Smash. They should probably release a demo for the game as well, because i think it will help sell the game way more than it would hurt the game's sales. If MUA3 turns out to be a solid package overall, i can see it having really long legs. The expansion pass content should help to re market the game every few months as well.

Sony went big with their exclusive Marvel licensed game and it has paid off in spades and will probably go on on to sell 12 million + copies by the time the PS4 console cycle is over.

If MUA 3 only sells a million or so and Nintendo is still fortunate enough to get access to the MUA license again or another super hero IP, they should definitely put more resources into the game to ensure that it has a chance to stand toe to toe with Nintendo's best first party games.
Yeah, I highly doubt this game could reach the levels of a game like Spider-Man, but this is the first big dedicated Marvel crossover game this gen. It should be treated like the big event that it is, and following closely after EG it could easily blow up. But the lack of advertising and coverage will definitely hold it from reaching its true potential.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Focusing on the length of a single playthrough of the campaign is really weird for an ARPG.

I always prefer longer ones. Diablo II and Divine Divinity are my favourites in the genre, and they're both like 30+ hours.
My problem is that I hardly replay games, so I'll do as much as I possibly can, beat it, then maybe revisit it in like a year or so. Even with Souls games, which I love, and which are designed to be replayed, I've only ever finished a second playthrough once, and that technically doesn't count because it was just my first playthrough of the remaster.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'd be okay if the main story was just 10-15 hours but replayable, because the side content does look fun enough to keep me going with it.

Here's a question - if this is successful and Marvel/Nintendo/TN decide to do a follow up, would you prefer MUA4 or that they did a different Marvel property with a large roster? I was just going to say X-Men Legends 3, but there's potential others.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok.. so whether I buy this game on not depends on the answers to these questions. Even though I posted in thread about this game I haven't kept up on any news.

So the main story is 10 hours, what's the side content? Is it like Rifts in Diablo 3? Loot base stuff?

Is there post content besides additional characters planed?

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Ok.. so whether I buy this game on not depends on the answers to these questions. Even though I posted in thread about this game I haven't kept up on any news.

So the main story is 10 hours, what's the side content? Is it like Rifts in Diablo 3? Loot base stuff?

Is there post content besides additional characters planed?
Story is about 10 hours I believe. There's a new game plus with different difficulty levels and all your stats and stuff carry over. The infinity trials are various challenges that range in difficulty that unlock characters iso 8 and costumes. The iso 8 allows your upgrade your powers and stats. The dlc will have different characters, modes and story content. And of course there is online co-op.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Story is about 10 hours I believe. There's a new game plus with different difficulty levels and all your stats and stuff carry over. The infinity trials are various challenges that range in difficulty that unlock characters iso 8 and costumes. The iso 8 allows your upgrade your powers and stats. The dlc will have different characters, modes and story content. And of course there is online co-op.

Thanks Pad!

The art style and story reminds me of the animated X-Men cartoon Saturday morning series I use to watch religiously.

Is there online Co-Op? I was reading the Op and don't remember seeing anything there about that.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm mostly trying to figure out if I want to swap folks during one playthrough, or have an A team for first run and B team for second

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a friend that runs a local spot that sells games. When the shipment comes in Monday or Tuesday, I'm getting my copy so I'll report back with some details.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
I think I'd be okay if the main story was just 10-15 hours but replayable, because the side content does look fun enough to keep me going with it.

Here's a question - if this is successful and Marvel/Nintendo/TN decide to do a follow up, would you prefer MUA4 or that they did a different Marvel property with a large roster? I was just going to say X-Men Legends 3, but there's potential others.
I would rather have them follow it up with a proper Marvel musou game.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

I hope MUA3 is a huge success for everyone involved. I'm still in awe that Nintendo revived this IP. Pending the quality of the game TN deliver, I'd want them to follow this with MUA4. As much as I loved the X-Men Legends series and it's heavier focus on RPG systems, the Ultimate Alliance games better serve the spectacle of Marvel Comics.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Please do! Especially how online works. Tons of people on the discord (myself included) are dying to know

Yup. I have the game preloaded but the marketing for this is simply atrocious. Still missing some important basic information like that. Nintendo seems to be all in on Fire Emblem while this is left in the dust.

Aine

May 27, 2019
FfEza6t.png

My monster squad!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
any advantages for digital over phystical. Do Switch games come with manuals?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only advantage I can think of would be if you have any plans to get a game that's in the Nintendo voucher program(if you have Nintendo online subscription) and this, thus saving some money(and you look around you might find eshop cards on sale, like heck I got this and FE3H for $85.50 due to finding eshop cards on sale)

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The vouchers for digital can make it much cheaper.

You can buy 2 vouchers for $100 that can be used on switch games. Due to discounts on eshop credit I was able to get $100 of eshop credit for $86.

Costco currently has a deal for $50 eshop cards for $45.

Status
Not open for further replies.