• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Did you noticed how the dog changes position if you pet after a while?

I wonder if there is a secret animation for letting it be petted for a long time.

Like he lay on the floor and you pet their's belly

That unlock requirement for the Gunslinger seems real rough.

Kill the Lich and then do another run where you kill the past. Do you at least keep your guns/gear for the encore run?

no, you have to unlock the paradox AND THEN kill do the first thing in your spoilers.

BUT to unlock the paradox you need to

Occasionally, in the Gungeon Proper, Black Powder Mine, or the Hollow, there will be a rift that the player can walk into and interact with to receive a paradox effect. Killing the character's past or the Lich with the effect active will unlock The Paradox.

in other words : yup, another character that is not for me since I didn't even defeated the dragun yet or grabbed like half of the bullet's parts xD

Last edited:

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
That unlock requirement for the Gunslinger seems real rough.

Kill the Lich and then do another run where you kill the past. Do you at least keep your guns/gear for the encore run?

Nope, it's a fresh run.

And it's a run as the Gunslinger, and his past is brutal (bullet hell with a much harder lich fight).

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Did you noticed how the dog changes position if you pet after a while?

I wonder if there is a secret animation for letting it be petted for a long time.

Like he lay on the floor and you pet their's belly

But when will we be able to pet Sir Junkan??

s5na4lbicyv11.gif

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the new floor and unlocked the paradox.

Good stuff with this new update so far. Haven't touched rainbow mode yet.

Still need to take down the lich and rat for the first time though. Easier said then done.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
On my third run since the update I reached the new secret floor. It's pretty cool that if you know how, it's so much easier to access than most of the others, especially the Resourceful Rat's Lair (e.g. in this run I perfect-killed both floor bosses, didn't spend a single shell, and was still short to buy the key).

In contrast the new floor just needs you to
feed a Master Round and two other items to the grate creep on floor 4. That's it, you get a Master Round in any of the floors, you're good. He even takes garbage as the extra items, and you get a bunch of money too. The floor itself is also easier than you'd expect for a "4.5 floor".

I reached the boss, but I only had one heart left so I died to it.
This is the first boss with voice acting, right? It's awesome they got Cam Clarke to actually voice him, and also kind of funny how obsessed these guys are with Metal Gear 1. But I'm not complaining! :)

However, none of its enemies aren't added to the Ammonomicon, which is a shame. I'm assuming the absence of its unique enemies is a bug, but I'd love to be able to see the sprites of the "costumed" enemies (perhaps by pressing a button in the Ammonomicon).

I also got (bought) the magazine rack in the same run, and hoo boy. I completely misunderstood the description above: I assumed it would be a single-use item, and that it would simply let you fire guns without consuming ammo within its radius. Instead is a reusable item that recharges super quick (like every couple of rooms!) and it actually tops off your guns' ammo! Basically meaning once you get it, you have functionally pretty much infinite ammo for the rest of the run.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Can confirm in my personal experience the drops still suck and the games are mind numbingly slow, this game is so close but it's just missing that one more run factor I just get frustrated & quit the game. The whole update just feels like an update for people who were into the game and wanted to come back not for people who couldn't get into the game in the first place which is fine, it's free it's all whatever.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The whole update just feels like an update for people who were into the game and wanted to come back not for people who couldn't get into the game in the first place which is fine, it's free it's all whatever.

Well, yeah. It would be silly to upend the game's balance and design this late in its lifecycle when tons of people enjoy it just fine as it is.

That said, you might enjoy rainbow mode? You get a choice between six items right at the start of each level and often that includes very powerful guns, so that might help you get into the action faster. I personally found it uninteresting since it removes a lot of the variation in the levels (bye chests, most shops, NPC rewards, etc.), but for people that just want a powerful gun from the get go it might actually be up their alley.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I also got (bought) the magazine rack in the same run, and hoo boy. I completely misunderstood the description above: I assumed it would be a single-use item, and that it would simply let you fire guns without consuming ammo within its radius. Instead is a reusable item that recharges super quick (like every couple of rooms!) and it actually tops off your guns' ammo! Basically meaning once you get it, you have functionally pretty much infinite ammo for the rest of the run.

Oh is it how it works? Nice! I didn't realize it was topping off ammo with my brief time with it. It's very powerful!

Yesterday I bought a super fun item from Doug called the Scouter. I got it in a run and it's so funny! With it, you see a health bar below every enemy, and each time they get damage a number corresponding to the amount of damage delt appears on top of them like a JRPG. It's super cool!

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh is it how it works? Nice! I didn't realize it was topping off ammo with my brief time with it. It's very powerful!

Yep. I had a bunch of empty guns, and firing them from the area of effect completely topped them off. In fact it more than topped some of them off, as in, they ended with more ammo than their actual max :D (something like 390 / 350). I'm guessing that's a bug, and I'm also wondering if the refill effect is also a bug and not the intended behaviour.

Yesterday I bought a super fun item from Doug called the Scouter. I got it in a run and it's so funny! With it, you see a health bar below every enemy, and each time they get damage a number corresponding to the amount of damage delt appears on top of them like a JRPG. It's super cool!

I saw that on the wiki, that has to be quite fun. :) Probably not that useful, per se, since most enemies don't have that much health, and you can see bosses' health bars anyway.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
After playing a few runs with rainbow mode I'm getting the impression that it's a bit easier than the main game. You're so much more likely to be able to get an autowin item like the Clone.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
I'm soooooo ready for this. I'm not the best player or anything, but I've 100%ed the game and filled out the whole Ammonomicon, so I'm really excited to eat up whatever they have in store here! Legitimately one of my favorite games ever, and also the first and only roguelike I've ever enjoyed, for some reason.
It really is my favorite game of this generation. Sooooo much gameplay and replay. I'm hopeful that dodgeroll makes another couch coop top down game.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
how is the performance of this game on the switch compared to PC. Tempted to get it just not sure which to get it on.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
how is the performance of this game on the switch compared to PC. Tempted to get it just not sure which to get it on.
There are 3 presets for graphics, I play on Beautiful and while it still drops noticeably below 60 in some cases this latest update has a noticeable improvement. This is portable mode though so ymmv. I imagine it runs better docked and on the less intense graphics presets

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
There are 3 presets for graphics, I play on Beautiful and while it still drops noticeably below 60 in some cases this latest update has a noticeable improvement. This is portable mode though so ymmv. I imagine it runs better docked and on the less intense graphics presets
good to know. I will likely mostly play it docked to play co op with my SO.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
After playing a few runs with rainbow mode I'm getting the impression that it's a bit easier than the main game. You're so much more likely to be able to get an autowin item like the Clone.
It definitely increases your chances at a good run, at least once you've unlocked really good items and guns. It also generally speeds up your play since you don't have to think about opening chests, buying most items, etc.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It definitely increases your chances at a good run, at least once you've unlocked really good items and guns. It also generally speeds up your play since you don't have to think about opening chests, buying most items, etc.

Yeah, also in the normal mode I always make sure to clear every room before fighting the boss. In rainbow mode there's only a small benefit to doing that so now I'm going to boss fights without exploring everything first.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure about this latest patch but the Switch's framerate chugs during boss fights and certain weapon combos. It does offer performance modes, but it still doesn't run at a constant 60fps.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with everyone else in the "maybe now I'll beat it" camp haha. Got to floor 5 once or twice and felt like I was really starting to get the hang of it and just stopped for some reason.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i admit to being one of those people who adores this game but haven't gotten past the 2nd stage. I hate Roguelikes but this and Wizard of Legend. Still wish for a regular mode with checkpoints so I can play it as a normal game and actually beat it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Just unlocked the 2nd of the two new characters. All chars unlocked again!

That was insane. I've never beaten
Bullet Hell once before today and I just did it twice in a row without dying.

Proof.
D3gNfqSUwAA-7kv

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I've no interest at all to play the game. But that PS4 theme looks great, I want it. Unfortunately, it's only available to buyers of the game. Bummed that I just can't buy the theme :-(

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Here are some tips for those that are returning to the game and looking to go deeper in the Gungeon:

- Keep unlocking stuff. The more you buy items, the more you risk encountering good stuff on your runs, which will definitely give you a much better fighting chance.
- When there are lots of bullets flying around, don't rely too much on dodge rolls. It's too easy to end up your roll on an enemy bullet. Try to simply walk around the bullets instead. If you absolutely must do a dodge roll in such a situation, blanking mid-roll is often a life saver.
- Especially when the action gets crazy, try to keep your eyes on your character instead of on the enemy you're shooting. It makes it much easier to walk around bullets without taking damage.
- The rarity order of regular chests are (from common to very rare): brown, blue, green, red, and black. Don't bother wasting keys on brown chests. Keep your hard earned keys for blue chests and above. Some say to also avoid the blue ones, but I very often find really good items in them, so now I try to open the blue ones when I have spare keys.
- Try to explore the whole floor before opening chests. You'll not like it if you waste your only key left on a blue chest to later find out there was a black chest on the same floor...
- Always destroy the chests you don't open. But do it at a distance because some will explode. You'll often only get a piece of junk, but sometime you might get a nice surprise...
- There is usually at least one secret room per floor. Those hidden rooms are opened with a blank (or a big explosion). Telltale signs of such a room are cracks on a wall that appear if the bullet of one of your guns hits its entrance. Unfortunately, starter guns will never reveal a hidden room.
- If you still have spare blanks after a boss, try to discover a secret room. Don't worry, you'll automatically get two new blanks on the next floor. The most common places to find secret rooms are: chest rooms, special rooms with an NPC in it, and the elevator room after the boss. So if you have no clue where the hidden room is (no cracks on any walls, and you don't want to randomly waste precious ammo), take a guess and use your unused blanks in those kinds of rooms before moving on. You might get lucky.

This is what I can quickly think of. I'll try to find other tips that could be helpful.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
After so much run without the rift thing to unlock The Paradox, I ran Rainbow mode runs and finally found 2, but it's only at the second one I understood you have to interact with it >.<
Anyway, I don't know if I'll be able to get the Gunslinger since I never beat the Lich in my 100+ hours of playtime, haha.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've started getting a lot of crashes when opening rainbow chests on PS4. I'm definitely getting some renewed hope that I can conquer the rat thanks to the rainbow mode, however.

The synergy between the Ticket item and the Vulcan Cannon is absolutely amazing.

Any new trophies on PS4?
No new trophies.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I've started getting a lot of crashes when opening rainbow chests on PS4. I'm definitely getting some renewed hope that I can conquer the rat thanks to the rainbow mode, however.

The synergy between the Ticket item and the Vulcan Cannon is absolutely amazing.

No new trophies.
I asked the devs on Twitter and they replied saying the new patch should solve most crashes.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where the hell is the Paradox??! I just did what the wiki said to do to unlock it and nothing seems to have changed in the Breach??

Is it because it doesn't work with the Pilot????? That would be a really stupid oversight!!

I am really pissed off that this run accomplished nothing

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Where the hell is the Paradox??! I just did what the wiki said to do to unlock it and nothing seems to have changed in the Breach??

Is it because it doesn't work with the Pilot????? That would be a really stupid oversight!!

I am really pissed off that this run accomplished nothing
I think I saw that yes, unlocking the Paradox with the Pilot is glitched. It may be fixed in the latest PC patch, however.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Is it possible the get paradox for everyone, not just the main 4 ?
I "cheat" with bullet runs but never find the pool to interract with.

Beside that I killed every past but the robot. It's overall not so hard to finish the game but lich and rat are brutal.
Died on last forms for both.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I saw that yes, unlocking the Paradox with the Pilot is glitched. It may be fixed in the latest PC patch, however.

And the worst part is I had a vague suspicion that it would when I started my run, but I continued with the Pilot anyway because I assumed that would be too silly of a programming oversight.

Is it possible the get paradox for everyone, not just the main 4 ?

Not the main 4!!

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Alright so I bought this game just to get the PS4 theme. Damn you, Truant Pixel. Not my type of game but guess I'll give it a chance.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Woohoo!

d3khmw6ueaa5w3vj6kqr.jpg

I went into the boss room with 6 blanks and 0.5 heart, suffice to say my own heart was racing as death would mean redo the whole Paradox + Gunslinger runs.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Guys,

How do you unlock this Rainbow mode? I freed the guy in his cell, but he's nowhere in the breach. I think I saw him once, but I kicked over his pail or something and it fell into a pit and he said I'm not talking to you. Now have never seen that npc again...

Was that him? I'm so confused. Also I still have the door on the right of the gungeon entrance entrance locked. How do I open that?

Thanks

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guys,

How do you unlock this Rainbow mode? I freed the guy in his cell, but he's nowhere in the breach. I think I saw him once, but I kicked over his pail or something and it fell into a pit and he said I'm not talking to you. Now have never seen that npc again...

Was that him? I'm so confused. Also I still have the door on the right of the gungeon entrance entrance locked. How do I open that?

Thanks

the rainbow guy should be in the top right room in the breach, up the stairs. The guy whose helmet you kicked down is a different NPC

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I killed the Lich once a long time ago through an insanely OP run that involved getting the Clone, dying at the Dragun, and then just dominating through everything again with a combo of the Polaris and the Full Metal Jacket. By the time I reached the Lich I had like 14 hearts.

I don't know if I'll ever kill him again.