• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Man, rainbow runs with the robot can be super fun. Blank bullets + chaos ammolet is *insane*. Shreds entire rooms in a matter of seconds without even hitting the enemies, even in bullet hell.

I had done pretty much everything in the game except the resourceful rats lair and beating Lich, and I just beat him three times, including once with no damage.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried Rainbow mode and thought it was pretty awful. You just end up with less stuff. The asshole didn't even let me keep the reward chest from the sharpshooter min-game ffs.

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I kinda hate Bullet Hell, it's so long and you end up wasting ammo on rooms and then you have to go through a three phase boss fight. I wish the rooms rewarded more ammo but then you finish a room and you get a fuckin' key.

Anyway, in this last run I got pig and clone. Died in the very end of The Lich's first phase but I only had blasphemy with the melee attack.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch sale for this was too appealing, so I jumped in. Advice for a newb?
Just work on buying items and rescuing the various NPCs. Steadily unlock more guns and items.

I tried Rainbow mode and thought it was pretty awful. You just end up with less stuff. The asshole didn't even let me keep the reward chest from the sharpshooter min-game ffs.
The whole point is you only get one item/gun each floor but you typically get a selection of really good ones. One great pickup can be much more valuable than two or three mediocre ones. You can easily play the regular mode, collect two dozen guns and items yet have little that helps you excel.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking at this game but I can't twin stick bullet hell worth a shit. My skill level in Issac is bad enough that I can't fully complete the game (yet), so is there anything in this game for me to enjoy or would it not be worth the price of admission for me?

Thanks in advance folks

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I tried mode and thought it was pretty awful. You just end up with less stuff. The asshole didn't even let me keep the reward chest from the sharpshooter min-game ffs.

On the other hand, I've done maybe fifteen rainbow runs now and I've gotten three clones. I've gotten three total in my other 130 hours of EtG. With that it can make for a fun run because you get to curate your equipment a bit more instead of being left entirely to chance. Make it to the last floor with the clone and do the extra floors and you can end up choosing 15 items or more that you get to select.

EDIT: Plus you can still get junk from chests and the robot gets +5% damage for each piece, so as the robot destroy all the chests you come across and at the end you'll end up with +30% damage or so.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Start with playing the Hunter, her passive ability of extra item chance on room clear is great and she probably has the best starting weapons out of any character. Her crossbow is still pretty useful up to floor 3 and can be used as a crutch in case you don't get a useful weapon drop.
Beating a boss without getting hit gives you a master round that gives you an extra heart. Explosive weapons help out a lot since they destroy any enemy shots in their explosion radius.
If a chest isn't blue or higher rarity wait until you clear the rest of the floor to open it especially if you don't have a lot of keys to spare, in addition to that previous patches have made it to where the shop on each floor now pretty much 100% has a key in it so don't be afraid to buy them if you need them.
Some people might give me slack for telling you to do this but don't be afraid to look up what items/guns/shrines do, most have hidden buffs/synergies/abilities that the game literally will not tell you about in any way.
My advice for your first runs through the game is to focus on unlocking npcs/weapons/items/learning enemy and boss patterns. Every boss you kill gives you credits you can use to buy stuff in the hub and some npcs become extra shops with items themed to them.

Final advice:
Go into the options and turn screen shake as low as possible, turn game to performance mode, turn on aim cursor and boost auto aim a bit to help out.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3 runs in a row without seeing the cosmic rift at all. Seriously fuck the bug that robbed me of unlocking the Paradox the first time around.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I did it!!! I finally beat the Lich!

I9YAwUJ.jpg

Also, it gave me this:

MmZEg7d.jpg

I think it's the platinum trophy I'm the proudest of!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Man rainbow mode is so great.

I'm glad it's free and doesn't cost any helix credits.

I like that it doesn't preclude you from most of the things/rewards you have access to in a regular game (I.e helix credits, ability to unlock characters/items, etc)

You get access to some of the best weapons/items in the game that you probably don't see very often.

Keys are probably one of if not the most important resource in the game so not having to waste your money on it and using it for things like ammo boxes, health and blanks goes a long way to making the game feel much easier.

Oct 27, 2017
3 runs in a row without seeing the cosmic rift at all. Seriously fuck the bug that robbed me of unlocking the Paradox the first time around.
I feel your pain.

Did a rainbow run earlier where I found the rift and I had the paradox effect and then I got into the boss fight against the wallmonger and I pause to check my items as I wasn't sure if I had picked up an item that made me immune to fire. Turns out the game doesn't pause on this boss fight so I'm just taking a buttload of damage in the background and when I go back to the game i've gone from about 10 full heats down to half a heart. Wonderful.

Haven't seen a rift since

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
I own this on PC but wanted it play it portable, but man, performance on Switch is rough. If it's this bad after an optimization pass I can't imagine how bad it was before. I hit the Gorgun and the game slowed to a crawl.

It's laggy too, I measured it at ~150 ms on Switch when on the same TV playing across steam link it's actually lower at ~130 ms, even with all the additional latency of the steam link!

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I own this on PC but wanted it play it portable, but man, performance on Switch is rough. If it's this bad after an optimization pass I can't imagine how bad it was before. I hit the Gorgun and the game slowed to a crawl.

It's laggy too, I measured it at ~150 ms on Switch when on the same TV playing across steam link it's actually lower at ~130 ms, even with all the additional latency of the steam link!
Have you tried the performance modes for Switch?

Nov 10, 2017
So does focusing on grinding Hegemony Credits and buying unlocks make the game a little easier? Like by expanding the item pool you would likely get more powerful items/synergies early right?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

v

Here are some tips for those that are returning to the game and looking to go deeper in the Gungeon:

- Keep unlocking stuff. The more you buy items, the more you risk encountering good stuff on your runs, which will definitely give you a much better fighting chance.
- When there are lots of bullets flying around, don't rely too much on dodge rolls. It's too easy to end up your roll on an enemy bullet. Try to simply walk around the bullets instead. If you absolutely must do a dodge roll in such a situation, blanking mid-roll is often a life saver.
- Especially when the action gets crazy, try to keep your eyes on your character instead of on the enemy you're shooting. It makes it much easier to walk around bullets without taking damage.
- The rarity order of regular chests are (from common to very rare): brown, blue, green, red, and black. Don't bother wasting keys on brown chests. Keep your hard earned keys for blue chests and above. Some say to also avoid the blue ones, but I very often find really good items in them, so now I try to open the blue ones when I have spare keys.
- Try to explore the whole floor before opening chests. You'll not like it if you waste your only key left on a blue chest to later find out there was a black chest on the same floor...
- Always destroy the chests you don't open. But do it at a distance because some will explode. You'll often only get a piece of junk, but sometime you might get a nice surprise...
- There is usually at least one secret room per floor. Those hidden rooms are opened with a blank (or a big explosion). Telltale signs of such a room are cracks on a wall that appear if the bullet of one of your guns hits its entrance. Unfortunately, starter guns will never reveal a hidden room.
- If you still have spare blanks after a boss, try to discover a secret room. Don't worry, you'll automatically get two new blanks on the next floor. The most common places to find secret rooms are: chest rooms, special rooms with an NPC in it, and the elevator room after the boss. So if you have no clue where the hidden room is (no cracks on any walls, and you don't want to randomly waste precious ammo), take a guess and use your unused blanks in those kinds of rooms before moving on. You might get lucky.

This is what I can quickly think of. I'll try to find other tips that could be helpful.

Also, Junk can both be sold at the well guy and used to upgrade Sr Junken.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Final advice:
Go into the options and turn screen shake as low as possible, turn game to performance mode, turn on aim cursor and boost auto aim a bit to help out.
Auto aim is already enabled quite high on the console. Are you saying increase it even more? I think it's, maybe, 4 shy of being at max by default to begin with.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Haven't played the update but this sounds interesting, do you get a Rainbow chest for every secret floor too? Like the Oub and the other ones.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating picking this up since it's 50% off but was hoping someone could help me out here. I'm not really someone who liked The Binding of Isaac much, from what I remember I never had any of the weapons available to me after I died so it felt pretty annoying going through each run again. Is Enter the Gungeon similar? Also, how does the co-op work, is it online or local only (Switch)?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I managed the first half of unlocking the 2nd character, but I guess there's a bug where he sometimes doesn't receive his proper starting weapon. I got a Makarov instead, so I have to attempt this run without a gun with infinite ammo. That's going to make this extra challenging.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Just received patch 2.1.4 on PS4. Since the version we had was 2.1.2, this patch should have all the following changes:

Patch 2.1.3
  • (Consoles) Fixed several crashes related to new weapons and some Paradox loadouts
  • (Consoles) Fixed a crash when entering the Pilot's past
  • (Consoles) Fixed a crash caused by being killed by a Tarnisher in some situations
  • Fixed a softlock caused by entering miniboss rooms in certain layouts
  • Fixed an issue with Orbital Bullets which could cause projectiles to behave oddly
  • Fixed frame rate issues caused by some Orbital Bullet synergies
  • Orbital Bullets no longer make Winchester's game super hard
  • Fixed an issue where Paradox couldn't be unlocked as the Pilot
  • Fixed an issue where the [REDACTED]'s starting weapon wasn't spawning correctly
  • Fixed an issue with the Sprun and Blessed runs
  • Fixed an issue where some guns were failing to spawn (e.g. alternate art weapons)
  • Fixed an issue with dog petting (you can no longer start a pet while mid dodgeroll)
  • Fixed an issue with the Third Party Controller and the Displacer Beast interacting poorly
  • Fixed an issue where Advanced DraGun kills weren't counting for the Rainbow run award trophy
  • Flight no longer makes accessing the new secret floor more difficult
  • Baby Good Mimic can no longer become Gatling Gull (... c'mon)
  • Added some new audio for several new guns
  • Fixed an issue where intro text wasn't showing up correctly
  • Fixed a typo in Orbital Bullets
  • Removed some duplicate guns from the Ammonomicon
  • Nitra will now show up correctly in the Ammonomicon
Patch 2.1.4 (coming to consoles ASAP)
  • (Consoles) Fixed a crash during the DraGun's death
  • (Consoles) Fixed a crash caused by being eaten by the Tarnisher
  • Fixed an exception caused by pedestal mimics in Rainbow Runs (could cause bullets to hang in the air)
  • Fixed an exception caused by dropping the Rat Boots
  • Fixed a possible softlock during boss intros
  • Fixed the hitbox on the alternate art Blasphemy
  • Fixed an issue where players couldn't leave the new secret floor while holding an item that grants flight
  • The new characters can now use the legendary hero shrine for cursed runs
  • Fixed several issues with Duct Tape
  • Fixed some issues with the broken state of the Glass Cannon
  • Fixed an issue with the Bait Launcher's tigers failing to track targets
  • Fixed an issue with the combination of Clone and Super Hot Watch
  • Fixed and issue where the Magazine rack could adjust ammo incorrectly
  • Damage numbers from the Scouter no longer show up on the pause screen
  • Fixed some synergy interactions with the [REDACTED] character
  • Fixed visual depth issues with pushed tables
  • Fixed another duplicate Ammonomicon entry
  • Fixed an issue with minibosses music

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/baxdfm/a_farewell_to_arms_patch_notes_213/

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to be getting a lot of pauses and hitches before entering a new room on the switch (playing on Balanced). I haven't played in a while but I don't remember these being there before.

What exactly was improved on the switch in terms of performance?

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Started playing this week. Big fan of rogue-likes/lites so it's been a while coming.

Pretty cool game. Difficulty curve seems steep but I can feel the progression (even if it's not as obvious as other games in the genre). I can do the first dungeon fine but haven't managed to beat Medusa yet.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The update got me back into the game, although even with some ~20 hours spent with it I still kind of suck, or I only find guns I'm not great with. I can also count the number of the game's so-called synergies that I've found on one hand, so maybe it's just bad luck with item selection (although I've unlocked quite a few at this point so who knows).

But the game is still fun even if I don't seem to be making much progress with it.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I finally beat the dragon yesterday for the first time!!!! Normally i barely can get to the 5th floor. I underestimated the double vision item for too long, it´s amazing specially for the bosses.

On a curious note my kids have seen me playing the gungeon for some time and the other day my 5 years old son asked me: "Daddy, did you finally killed that dragon on that SUPER OLD GAME that you were playing?"

LOL

His gaming knowledge is basically wii u's super mario 3d world and yoshi's wholly world that he plays daily with his brother and sister... and still he think the gungeon is a "super old game"... this new generation is hopeless!!!!!

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Just work on buying items and rescuing the various NPCs. Steadily unlock more guns and items.

Is there a good NPC unlock guide? I played this game for a bit a while ago, want to get back into it but I forget what I've already unlocked. I know I got the shop and one guy is asking about a shotcut I think

Oct 27, 2017
Gunslinger get. The double Lich fight was a disaster (should've dropped like 6-7 guns before it started), but a win's a win.

IJVguSR.jpg

N0DrD5J.jpg

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I met the tinker on the second floor and he wants me to bring 120 bullets. That's a lot, how are you supposed to have that much so early ? You just have to spend nothing during the first 2 levels, is that it ?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I met the tinker on the second floor and he wants me to bring 120 bullets. That's a lot, how are you supposed to have that much so early ? You just have to spend nothing during the first 2 levels, is that it ?
Pretty much. Also you need good RNG.

Sorry if this has been asked before but how do you unlock the new characters?
They're an involved process- you won't be stumbling on them:
https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/The_Bullet
https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/The_Robot
https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/The_Paradox
https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/The_Gunslinger

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I'll definitely check this out again on Switch. I liked it on PC but really wanted it for handheld play, but the performance really wasn't great on launch for a bullet hell. Hopefully the framerate/slowdown issues have been resolved or improved.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'll definitely check this out again on Switch. I liked it on PC but really wanted it for handheld play, but the performance really wasn't great on launch for a bullet hell. Hopefully the framerate/slowdown issues have been resolved or improved.

I only reached third floor but I didn't notice any issue for what it's worth

Edit : thanks again for the answer Alcotholic
This RNG seems to have a big importance in this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Visiting the Oubliette helps a lot, that way you get 3 floors' worth of cash rather than 2. Also the yellow jellyfish is another shop NPC.

The fun thing is that to unlock the superhot watch you need to perfect 5 bosses in one run.

So either A Huge Battleship is a master of bullet hell games or the death count is broken xD
Been playing bullet hell shmups for years, this kind of game is my jam. Also watched Northernlion's LP of the game a while back so I wasn't exactly going in blind.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Try every base characters and pick one to focus on that you feel comfortable with.

Stay away from enemies and work on bullet avoiding without dodge roll at first to get used to it. Dodge roll only for emergency or once you're getting better.

Remember you have blanks. Especially useful either when you feel like you're overwhelmed and/or to be sure you kill a boss with no damage. Focus on knowing boss patterns with time. Having no damage on at least the 2 first floors bosses can help a lot.

Chests quality goes in that order I think :
Brown > Blue > green > red > black + crazy rarer weird other chests.
Keep your key(s) for when you're finished with a floor in case a better chest or a door with npc or something is met.

Don't hesitate to do a quick search online for stuff you have no idea what it's for.
Mirror, curse, demon mouths and so on.
I'd say you can even look for weapons and synergies when you get new ones if you feel like it's hiding something.

Die again and again while learning and doing whatever you can. You always learn and get better.

If you have a goal you're close to achieve be careful not to take risks (like going in an unknown floor or something). You rarely do well with bad surprises in this game. Better finish what you wanted to achieve even if small (like giving money and keys to the elevator guy when you fall in the shaft).
I walked into danger and came out... relatively unscathed.
Lol why going on the right ? Death wish...

Last edited: