• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
SIGNUPS STILL WELCOME
GAME STARTS SUNDAY 21ST JUNE, 20:00 BST

02pCenc.jpg

----
We want players for another session of the finest map painter around, Europa Universalis IV, now that the Emperor DLC has finally launched. Please post in this thread if you would be interested in joining in. Once we have a list of players, we can get to picking nations and start gaming! The base game is currently 80% off, and multiplayer games use whatever DLC the host has, so you could buy just the base game and enjoy all the DLC the host has bought. So if you're new and interested, please feel free to sign up too!

Proposed Play Times: Wednesday 20:30 - 22:00 BST, Sunday 20:00 - 22:00 BST

Proposed Rules:
  1. No declarations of war against human players before 1500 or the Age of Reformation, whichever comes first. If you declare war against an AI who is allied with a human player, you cannot co-belligerent them, and can take a maximum of 25% warscore from them.
  2. After 1500/Age of Reformation, you can declare war against human players. In such wars you can take 50% warscore from them, or 25% warscore against human players who are not co-belligerents.
  3. Once the Age of Absolutism spawns, PVP restrictions are lifted.
  4. No Truce Breaking, even in the Age of Absolutism.
  5. Player nations are open to attack once they miss three straight sessions, you can attack during that third session. If the AI attacks another player in his absence, they can demand up to 50% war score, but no more. If an AI playing for a human nation joins a war against a human player as a third party, up to 25% war score may be demanded from that country.
  6. Maximizing the ticking warscore means that the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side. Achieving an overall warscore of 80% also means the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side.
  7. Players may not guarantee, ally, or be guaranteed by more than 1 other player nation prior to the Age of Reformation, 2 others prior to the Age of Absolutism, or 3 others prior to the Age of Revolution. A coalition may not have more than 3 player nations prior to the Age of Reformation, 4 player nations prior to the Age of Absolutism, or 5 player nations prior to the Age of Revolution. This rule does not count for any player controlled subjects a player might have. No enforce peace in wars involving human players on either side. Indirect involvement in wars (for instance threatening someone with an attack unless they don't engage in a war against human players) counts as an alliance for the player being helped and thus is only allowed if the player being helped does not exceed its human ally limit in this fashion.
  8. Pausing only allowed when DoW happens to you. Then during the war it isn't acceptable. Players can pause once to make peace deals, but only for the allotted 25 seconds or so before others can unpause. PvP wars are not exempted.
  9. We will play on speed 2.
  10. If you consistently cause the game to drop below speed 2, you will be kicked for the duration of the session.
  11. A general anti-exploit rule. Basically, if it looks like an exploit, then don't do it. Don't try to circumvent rules through trickery. If you're unsure if something violates this rule, ask.
  12. Pausing only allowed when DoW happens to you. Then during the war it isn't acceptable. Players can pause once to make peace deals, but only for the allotted 25 seconds or so before others can unpause. PvP wars are not exempted.
  13. There will be a list of banned countries unavailable for player selection, and a list of restricted countries, not recommended for experienced players.
  14. Don't pick someone else's vassal/personal union partner.
  15. No nation switching after the first five sessions.
Banned/Restricted Countries List:

Banned nations. They are unavailable to any player, due to their raw strength or potential inherent game breaking abilities.
  • Ottomans, Castile, France, Ming, Timurids, Ashikaga and Austria.
Restricted nations. They're quite powerful, so available to newer players only. No real hard or fast rule here, but if you've more than, lets say, 75 hours in EU4, I'll give you the side eye if you pick em.
  • Aragon, England, Poland, Lithuania, Muscovy, Burgundy, Denmark, Mamluks, Vijayanagar, Bahmanis, Bengal and Oirat.
Current Player List:
  1. Geido - Provence
  2. Titik - Madyas
  3. KingSnake - Brandenburg
  4. Jegriva - Papal State
  5. Lausebub - Morocco
  6. Delusibeta - England
  7. Wanace - Livonian Order
  8. Messy - Fars
  9. Pulp - Ethiopia
  10. Uzzy - Munich
  11. sueil - Kongo

-----

Previous Games
Europa Universalis IV-ERA Multiplayer Sign Up - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Crusader Kings II-ERA Multiplayer Sign Up - I've Never Betrayed Anyone In My Entire Life, Ever

Discord Link for Organising Server (Go to the Paradox Games channel, message me here if you're not added as a member)
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in!

With the new DLC out, I would like to suggest that we all play in the HRE or HRE-adjacent. Should lead to a lot more player interaction than being spread out on the entire map.

Also, I assume you've forgotten the Ottomans and Ming in your restricted nation list. Might also want to think about restricting Castille.

And calling CloudWolf Lausebub KiraFA37 KingSnake Merkunt to get the band back together.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably sitting this one out.

My girlfriend will be coming over next week for an indefinite time after not seeing each other for four months (thanks, corona), so I'll barely have any time to learn Emperor and she'll probably won't be too happy if I immediately dedicate two nights a week to a videogame after not seeing each other for so long. :p

Definitely will be keeping track of the game though.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Ottos, Ming and Castile are all banned outright!

Reading is a challenge sometimes...

I'm probably sitting this one out.

My girlfriend will be coming over next week for an indefinite time after not seeing each other for four months (thanks, corona), so I'll barely have any time to learn Emperor and she'll probably won't be too happy if I immediately dedicate two nights a week to a videogame after not seeing each other for so long. :p

Definitely will be keeping track of the game though.

:(

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
f900268df5b8b61a2546a83a95fcb208.jpg

I already have ten different nations I would like to play and with most people starting in Europe this will be a bloodfest.

Titik also wanted to join us recently.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Im in! Although I haven't really tried playing multiplayer at all and i specialize in Madyas so if I play in hre I guess I'll be almost like a begginer.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think everyone should play inside or close to the HRE, as that can create zones way too populated with players which can cause some problems.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A small list of interesting places to play inside Europe / North Africa. I will try to put them in small regions so that it is easier to look and avoid the nations in the limited list:

Iberia / Maghreb

Portugal is the perfect nation for a new player as it tends to be quite isolated, it is easy to defend (both through alliances and forts) and allows for a nice colonial and trade game with easy expansion paths.
Granada / Morocco are an interesting choice to do the Re-Reconquista and conquer Iberia once again as a muslim, with nice choices to rival the power of the Ottomans from the other side of the Mediterranean, being able to form Arabia / Islam. However, due to how it is required to crash with Portugal, I wouldnt recommend it if a new player is in Portugal, as it will be unfun for him.
Navarra is an interesting tough run that can be very productive in the long term... if you manage to survive.

France / British Isles

France minors: specially Orleans (which has a more unique flavour) are a good choice inside of France
Irish Minors such as Ulster are a good choice to form Eire and start a new British Isle Empire
Scotland is the default "not England" big kindom in the area.

I am not sure I aggree with Burgundy being in the restricted list tbh, as it has always been on the harder side, but I guess the potential for a mini Timmy if it doesnt explode (which is harder in its situation and has lower payoff) is the reason why it is restricted.

Italy and Switzerland

Naples starts the game as a vassal for Aragon, but it has a way to break it automatically once the Iberian Wedding happens (and if that doesnt happen, it should be easy to break the vassalage through war). Being in the middle of the mediterranean is a great area.
Pappal States has a new and improved BATTLE POPE!
Savoy can be a powerful
Switzerland and Three Leagues are intereting ways to play inside the Switz area

Germany:
Bavarian minors (such as Landshut) have a quite powerful focus tree that guides you through conquest to become a powerhouse on south Germany
Francophonia minors (such as Wurzbug) are in a worse situation but can also be an interesting choice to goble up power)
Bohemia has an interesting and very agressive start with the new religion appearing there y default before Reformation.
Brandenburg is the choice for Prussia and should probably be restricted.

Lowlands and Scandinavia
Holland and Flanders are both good choices to form the Netherlands
Denmark has an iffy start having too many subjects, but a good set of alliances can help offset it and lead to an easy and quick Scandinavia which will be an easy powerhouse both in northern Europe and North America with colonization.

Baltic:
Livonian Order is an interesting country that starts in a very bad position with Lithuania looking to gobble it up. But it can easily start creating a powerhouse inside the Baltic
Novgorod is the first real enemy of Muscovy and can easily ecome the primary Russian power.
Teutonic Order is the other way for a Prussia game (though with a harder start).

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Knights also got a sweet new mission tree. If you manage to beat the Ottoman, it's quite a satisfying game that can eventually lead to the glorius Kingdom of Jerusalem.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Knights also got a sweet new mission tree. If you manage to beat the Ottoman, it's quite a satisfying game that can eventually lead to the glorius Kingdom of Jerusalem.
There is also the new Neapolitan kingdom of Epirus that has an interesting gameplay.
But they are more hardcore than even Navarra so I didnt add them (and well, I am not as much of a fan of the Balkans and greece to give pointers due to the Ottoman menace).
I think Karaman is an interestign Turk country to form the Rum Empire tho.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
How strong is the Emperor in the new patch? I was playing as the pope until 1579 and the shadow kingdom event never happened so the HRE was a lot bigger then usual. So whoever eventually becomes Emperor might have to be kept in check a bit.

And without CloudWolf the game will only be half as fun.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
How strong is the Emperor in the new patch? I was playing as the pope until 1579 and the shadow kingdom event never happened so the HRE was a lot bigger then usual. So whoever eventually becomes Emperor might have to be kept in check a bit.
I haven't played an Emperor game yet, but looking at Reddit worries me lol. Posts about AI Austria revoking privilegia in 60 years, my god.

And without CloudWolf the game will only be half as fun.
Aw, you guys.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in the middle of the first game as Austria and if you play your cards right being emperor is a huge bonus. I have a personal union with Bohemia and Hungary and I allied most of the big Italian countries before 1490 and thus keeping them in the HRE, except for Venice and Genoa which I just forced back through war after the Shadow Kingdom event finished. I didn't even need to use the bonus mercenary companies that you get specifically for that. Next I kicked France's and Commonwealth's ass in two consecutive wars. So now the whole Italia is in HRE, as well as the whole Scandinavia and Champagne (released by me from France) is the current Emperor because I have a woman leader (6/6/6 - so it was worth it).

So yeah, the race for the Emperor spot will be crazy I assume.

Edit: actually all of us starting as one province in HRE would be a very interesting game I think.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think under Player rules Emperor tend to already be restricted. Maybe you can add a limit on human alliances for the Emperor (such as a -1 on base stats), but in general emperors tend to already struggle with the number personal ties to maintain (or reach) the emperor seat.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I think the emperor seat will still be a double edged sword now. Getting and keeping emperorship is extra difficult with human players who are all hell bent on expanding, changing to reformed, etc. That will offset the powers that the emperor gets. Having a couple human electors (natural or even inherited from PU's) will make the human diplo game very awesome.

So yeah, starting in the HRE or HRE-adjacent with a max province count will probably be awesome. Lots of smaller goals added as well like forming Bavaria or the Hanseatic league while we duke it out in the Germanic thunderdome while the emperor tries to keep all the frogs from jumping out of the bucket.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Nah the Emperor can't be that overpowered..

Slides Austria into the banned list.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Do we have some EU4 OT, where I can complain, that the new estate system 8s even less engaging then the old one. Or am I maybe missing something?
I put everything on +1 monarch point, more manpower and when I needed it more government capacity.
I don't own the DLC so maybe the interesting option are in there.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have some EU4 OT, where I can complain, that the new estate system 8s even less engaging then the old one. Or am I maybe missing something?
I put everything on +1 monarch point, more manpower and when I needed it more government capacity.

You can get some interesting missions from the new diet thing. Some nice CBs.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

www.resetera.com

Paradox Grand Strategy |OT| Conquering the World one DLC at a time

Greetings fellow conquerors, and welcome to the Paradox Grand Strategy Official Thread. Paradox Grand Strategy Games are sandbox, alternative history, strategy games, where you find yourself in complete control of a dynasty/nation/empire, combining diplomatic, economic, technological...

It's a far superior system, abstracting the amount of land each estate owns is so much less fiddly.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah regarding the emperor, I didn't foresee the insane advantage it would create that nations join the HRE pretty easily and that you get insane amounts of IA when they do.

I'd suggest to make a gentleman's agreement that the centralization route is banned and that we strive to make a player emperor.

And being humble as always, I am ready to bear that burden for you. ;)

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
When do we start? Next week?

Also do we have a discord

We can start picking nations tomorrow, with an eye for starting next Sunday if that's alright with people.

As for a discord we usually rally in the PC Gaming ERA one. Link below.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I'm also going to add Denmark to the restricted list. It's relatively easy for them to stabilise the Kalmar Union and be a major player very quickly. They're not quite Timurids level, but can still be powerful very easily.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah regarding the emperor, I didn't foresee the insane advantage it would create that nations join the HRE pretty easily and that you get insane amounts of IA when they do.

I'd suggest to make a gentleman's agreement that the centralization route is banned and that we strive to make a player emperor.

And being humble as always, I am ready to bear that burden for you. ;)
I would even say it might be smart to make sure the electors are mostly players so that the Emperor can cycle

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Alright, I've randomised the list for picking nations. As host I'm picking last.
  1. Geido
  2. Titik
  3. KingSnake
  4. Jegriva
  5. Lausebub
  6. Pulp
  7. Delusibeta
  8. Uzzy
Geido make your choice. You've got 24 hours as of this post to do so, if not it'll move onto the next on the list. If we get the picks done quickly we can start on Sunday, hopefully my connection is good enough to host it.

If anyone still wants to join in please feel free, you'll just get a slot to pick right before me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck all, I'm not in, but I will cheer from the sides. Good luck dismantling the HRE before the Emperor decided to enact Ewiger Landfriede.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Man o man o man, I really didn't think much on this yet. Need to sleep on it. I'll post my choice tomorrow morning!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Since I am second on the list, and I doubt it gets picked often, I'll pick Madyas. Unless Geido wants it, of course.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Papal State, so I can fiddle s bit with Emperor mechanics.

If it's forbidden, I'll take Byzantium.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Oh God am I too late to sign up? Available to play at those times. Add me to the list if you don't mind!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Papal State, so I can fiddle s bit with Emperor mechanics.

If it's forbidden, I'll take Byzantium.

Papal State is fine!

Oh God am I too late to sign up? Available to play at those times. Add me to the list if you don't mind!

Not at all, you'll go ahead of me in the list, which currently looks like:
  1. Geido - Provence
  2. Titik - Madyas
  3. KingSnake - Brandenburg
  4. Jegriva - Papal State
  5. Lausebub - Morocco
  6. Pulp
  7. Delusibeta - England
  8. Wanace - Livonian Order
  9. Messy - Fars
  10. Uzzy
Pulp You're up next.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Man, with all these fixes incoming, we'll probably see a patch pretty soon. Will our game be playable afterwards?

Also Jegriva should we already start discussing the elephant in the room (Avignon)?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yeah, the hotfix should fix/bandaid the main problems for now. Nations not joining the HRE anymore without good reason is definitely a needed change and the investigate heresy change is good, too.

No fix for countries getting into massive debt for no reason though, but I think that's a deeper problem with the change to the mercs. In my (extremely OP) Austria game I was constantly paying my vassals loans as they seemingly just took loans whenever. That might be problematic for getting AI allies to join your wars.

This just killed the Italian expansion of the HRE.
Not my favourite fix, I would say that there needs to be a timer or something like 'won't willingly join the HRE for the next 100 years' or something, not just outright: Nevah, unless you conquer them. But still, way better than the current 'We're leaving! ... just kidding man, friends?'. In 1.30.1 the Shadow Kingdom crisis was just a way to farm a shitload of Imperial Authority.

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Should we postpone our game to Sunday instead of this Wednesday just incase?