StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching Fallout the tv show. Wow, it's amazing. It blew my expectations away. Even my brother who never played a Fallout game loved it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I really loved the show.

However one thing I don't get is, why is Vault-Tech evil?
I understand war makes them money, so it's in their benefit to keep the war-machine going.

They were actually accounting for a nuclear war (whether directly or indirectly) but how do they benefit in any way when the world has gone to shit?
Whats a trillion dollar gonna do if there is no world left? Also why is there a need for experiments?

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I really loved the show.

I understand war makes them money, so it's in their benefit to keep the war-machine going.

They were actually accounting for a nuclear war (whether directly or indirectly) but how do they benefit in any way when the world has gone to shit?
Whats a trillion dollar gonna do if there is no world left? Also why is there a need for experiments?
They are deluded. The plan is to assume total control in a few hundred years after radiation kills off the competition.

Jibberhack

Oct 30, 2017
Got an ending to New Vegas today. First time playing it. Such an excellent game. It's also the only one I finished, though I've played the first three games as well. Playing through The Outer Worlds now, I was so impressed by Obsidian's storytelling. I'll likely go back to 4 when I dip back into the Fallout well

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I really loved the show.

In the show Vault-Tec seem to be driven by a little more than just pure capitalism - they want an America run by and controlled by them, and their plan is to survive all competing claims by essentially wiping the world clean and then outliving them. It's almost like an extreme end-stage capitalism, where the companies abandon their interest in simple cash money and instead want pure hegemonic domination. Power to create the world as they see fit.

Most of them are going to be in cryo for the entire duration, so they don't care about the state of the world. They're gonna sleep through the worst. Some of them will be woken up, but they'll be doing so to run Vault-Tec control vaults, which are their idea of human paradise - people with positivity; people who make lemonade; people who are managed by them to be their vision of humanity. Eating Cram and jelly cake and wearing matching jumpsuits until the end of time.

Oct 25, 2017
Where was Filly supposed to be?

The names of places in Fallout tend to reference their pre-war names or at least something about what the place used to be. (i.e. Pittsburgh becomes "The Pitt").

I assumed with a name like "Filly", there would be some history there.
I heard someone say it was a landfill, but can't find a source.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
After playing FO4 for about 25 hours over the last month and about 10 hours of FO76, I'm really starting to think 76 is by far the best Fallout experience Bethesda has ever developed directly.

It takes everything the fourth game did well and just improves upon it, ESPECIALLY the writing and RPG systems; to the point where it kinda ends up being their best single player Fallout game despite essentially being built as an MMO. The conversations are more interesting, the quests take you to cooler places and oddly enough it gives you more freedom when interacting with NPCs than the fourth game ever did (at least in my somewhat limited experience so far).

The map is also just incredible and I've barely seen like 20% of it if even that, but even stuff like interiors feel so much more interesting than previous games overall (if you've seen a Super Mutant or Raider camp in FO4 with their bags of meat everywhere you've kind of seen them all). I was beginning to sour on FO4 thanks to (among other things) the settlement stuff, and that whole aspect also seems better implemented (and more avoidable) here.

New Vegas is still untouchable and the best 3D Fallout game by far, but I'm pretty pumped that Bethesda managed to create a truly well-realized version of their own interpretation of Fallout. It feels like a real, involved (yet managable) open world survival exploration experience instead of a huge theme park using iconography from the previous games without much rhyme or reason (which was also fun in its way, but I prefer how they're doing their own thing with the creatures and design of 76).

My man, it's a good time to be coming in with map expansion on the horizon

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching Fallout the tv show. Wow, it's amazing. It blew my expectations away. Even my brother who never played a Fallout game loved it.

It's my favorite version of the IP. Tried each of the games over the years and they didn't do anything for me. Loved the show though.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
ran into a bug that made my reset a lot of progress by going to a real old save. Is there a console command that can let me skip a bunch of quests in 3? I goggled the commands but the Ones that are supposed to complete quests aren't working for me. I was at the last main quest. I want to skip to that and then do Broken Steel.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't know if New Vegas is quite as dramatically better than 4 many would have me believe, I do love a lot of the writing.

"Several unidentified aircraft were spotted flying over the REPCONN test site by a local crackpot. He spoke to a toy bear near one of our microphones."

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved the show.

I think it's partly that they see nuclear war as more or less inevitable. Between the Resource Wars depleting everything and the escalating tensions with China, they might as well prepare and try to control when exactly things finally go to shit to best benefit themselves.

I subscribe to the theory that they probably didn't actually drop the first bombs though (even if they were planning to), because Barb, a fairly high up executive at Vault-Tek, never would have let them trigger the bombs while her daughter was outside of a Vault.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I really loved the show.

That's precisely why they want to drop the bombs. They want to emerge from the war as a true monopoly, a dictatorship even. That means sinking all their cash into resources like Vaults. They believe that War is inevitable, but to prevent the company from become insolvent, they're prepared to start the War themselves.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Im playing NV for the first time since, god knows when. I dont remember the Legionary Assasins being so obnoxious. They are ruining my playthrough. Even with Boon, they just wipe me out constantly, its not even close.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I just started up a Tale of Two Wastelands, and something I immediately noticed was the difficulty in the early section of Fallout 3 is much, much harder than vanilla, mostly with enemy spawns. Walking from Vault 101 to Megaton I ran into 2 irradiated giant ants, and then doing the Wasteland Survival Guide, I ran into two armored mercenaries and had to flea. Enemies are significantly stronger, there's way more of them, and some are carrying way more powerful/valuable weapons.

I don't really know if this is from the "vanilla" Tale of Two Wastelands, or if this could be from some other mod... I also installed TTW Quick Start, basically a mod to skip the first 30mins when you're a baby, because I just did that a week ago on Xbox and didn't want to do it again.

Anybody know if this is par for the course for TTW? I don't mind it being harder, but I think it kinda ruins the early game of Fallout 3 when you're immediately running into advanced enemies, powerful mutated beasts, and so on, the game did a bettter job of slowly introducing you to those. RPG wise, there's no reason why this Merc squad would want to attack a random person in the Wasteland so early, I haven't done anything storywise.

ANother thing I noticed is a lot of low-level enemies running/cowering when I do a small amount of damage, and I don't think this was the case in the vanilla play through. Like mildly damaging the enemies in the Super Duper MArt is causing them to flea, even though their weapons are typically much better than mine.

Trying to figure out if this is one mod that's turned on in my TTW (I followed the "Best of Both Worlds" guide) or it's intended.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I just started up a Tale of Two Wastelands, and something I immediately noticed was the difficulty in the early section of Fallout 3 is much, much harder than vanilla, mostly with enemy spawns. Walking from Vault 101 to Megaton I ran into 2 irradiated giant ants, and then doing the Wasteland Survival Guide, I ran into two armored mercenaries and had to flea. Enemies are significantly stronger, there's way more of them, and some are carrying way more powerful/valuable weapons.

I don't really know if this is from the "vanilla" Tale of Two Wastelands, or if this could be from some other mod... I also installed TTW Quick Start, basically a mod to skip the first 30mins when you're a baby, because I just did that a week ago on Xbox and didn't want to do it again.

Anybody know if this is par for the course for TTW? I don't mind it being harder, but I think it kinda ruins the early game of Fallout 3 when you're immediately running into advanced enemies, powerful mutated beasts, and so on, the game did a bettter job of slowly introducing you to those. RPG wise, there's no reason why this Merc squad would want to attack a random person in the Wasteland so early, I haven't done anything storywise.

enemies are stronger due to scaling being tuned to FNV but its not part of TTW getting those weird spawns. while doing the starting quests around megaton and close area i had the average molerat - raider - spawns, with the scripted small groups of super mutants here and there that are also in the base game

on the other hand, the way random encounters happen even in vanilla f3 could lead to some weird spawns by default, i remember my save being "bricked" because a couple of mutants with rocket launchers defaulted to spawning after i left a building, i barely had time to press vats before one of them exploded me with a rocket. you could just have "won" the todd lottery

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
enemies are stronger due to scaling being tuned to FNV but its not part of TTW getting those weird spawns. while doing the starting quests around megaton and close area i had the average molerat - raider - spawns, with the scripted small groups of super mutants here and there that are also in the base game

on the other hand, the way random encounters happen even in vanilla f3 could lead to some weird spawns by default, i remember my save being "bricked" because a couple of mutants with rocket launchers defaulted to spawning after i left a building, i barely had time to press vats before one of them exploded me with a rocket. you could just have "won" the todd lottery

Thanks! I'm curious too if it's because I reduced my luck when I started the game... I dropped luck to 2 or 3, I never knew what it was, so maybe that's why I'm getting these rough spawns. Googling the question and stumbling upon Reddits and other threads has some people saying similar things, like they're stumbling into albino deathclaws at level 5, and in my vanilla play through of FO3, I was most of the way through the story when I first came upon a deathclaw.

Gonna play a bit more this weekend.

I don't mind damage scaling to FO:NV levels, even if that makes super mutants harder (A common comment online too), I just don't want to have the balance of the game screwed up making it so that where ever I walk is super hostile with an unending number of enemy spawns. My old memories of FO3, the thing that got me to fall in love with the game ~16 years ago, was the sense of wandering and exploration... Really fit the "Lone Wanderer" lore for me.

Another thing to is that it sort of forces me into a very gun-focused play through. I almost always do speech, science, lockpick, charisma, sneak, I like to use range weapons and stealthy up close weapons. But when getting hit with Talon Co Mercs immediately outside of Megaton on the road to Super Duper MArt it pretty much forces you into gun heavy builds.

Last edited:

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! I'm curious too if it's because I reduced my luck when I started the game... I dropped luck to 2 or 3, I never knew what it was, so maybe that's why I'm getting these rough spawns. Googling the question and stumbling upon Reddits and other threads has some people saying similar things, like they're stumbling into albino deathclaws at level 5, and in my vanilla play through of FO3, I was most of the way through the story when I first came upon a deathclaw.

Gonna play a bit more this weekend.

I don't mind damage scaling to FO:NV levels, even if that makes super mutants harder (A common comment online too), I just don't want to have the balance of the game screwed up making it so that where ever I walk is super hostile with an unending number of enemy spawns. My old memories of FO3, the thing that got me to fall in love with the game ~16 years ago, was the sense of wandering and exploration... Really fit the "Lone Wanderer" lore for me.
albino deathclaws at level 5 is definitely a bug and nothing added by ttw. albino deathclaws shouldnt even spawn anywhere before broken steel

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info Starlatine . Reading thru more online, I think this Talon Merc is just random spawn, and all of FO3's enemy spawns are more challenging than FO:NV, I haven't played FO3 in about 15 years so I think my memory of it was when I was already overpowered. A lot of comments online about how ranks 0-10 are really challenging in FO3. I think if I stumbled upon a Talon Merc with the weapons I had leaving the vault in my first Xbox 360 playthrough, I'd probably have just turned off the game "This shit is too hard for me" :D

I'll probably nerf the SUper mutant challenge a bit, I hate bullet sponge enemy encounters.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017

ANother thing I noticed is a lot of low-level enemies running/cowering when I do a small amount of damage, and I don't think this was the case in the vanilla play through. Like mildly damaging the enemies in the Super Duper MArt is causing them to flea, even though their weapons are typically much better than mine.

Trying to figure out if this is one mod that's turned on in my TTW (I followed the "Best of Both Worlds" guide) or it's intended.

im playing through the begin again mod list of ttw and just went from 101 to megaton with no issues. I actually did the elementary school in that first town hoping it would be hard and it wasn't at all. I'm playing on hard. Just out in the wild nothing other than some bloatflys.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic but BGS hosted some mod creators for a few days. Presumably to do a meet-and-greet and talk about "Creations" for Starfield but this is still cool to see, at least I think so. I recognize two of them for sure, trainwiz and Elianora.

View: https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1788924473086714290

View: https://twitter.com/trainwiz/status/1788928206411649315

Edit: Otellino/Thomas Mitchell is the lead developer of the America Rising - Enclave quest mods

View: https://x.com/Otellino/status/1788927122439913799

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm nearing the end of my FNV playthrough around 40 hours. I have to decide on some items:
Do I betray Mr. House? Do I go and talk to Yes-Man to take New Vegas for myself? Ceaser is dead and the boomers will help me. I guess the NCR should be able to wipe the legion now.

I guess I should google on how and where to find the starting point for DLCs

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, looked it up and I wonder if I somehow disabled the DLC while modding. The radio stations stay unselectsble.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
WHAT. THE ACTUAL FUCK. IS THIS?

latest

Now I gotta watch a video about its lore.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Does it feel to anyone else like The BOS have more in common with the Enclave than they do differences these days?

With the BOS being more militant and no longer a neutral faction, you would almost think they could be allies if they weren't competition to each other and The Enclave was less obsessed with the idea that almost all the wasteland needs to be purified, humans included, whereas The BOS want to eliminate the more overt mutant races like ghouls and super mutants. Been awhile since I played 3 but I definitely remember (from 2) their definition for what constitutes being a mutant being pretty paranoidly wide.

I've suggested this before but it would be interesting if Bethesda did a double turn (if you're familiar with wrestling terminology) and the Enclave ended up becoming a less antagonistic force eventually while the Brotherhood fell further into becoming despots.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Does it feel to anyone else like The BOS have more in common with the Enclave than they do differences these days?

With the BOS being more militant and no longer a neutral faction, you would almost think they could be allies if they weren't competition to each other and The Enclave was less obsessed with the idea that almost all the wasteland needs to be purified, humans included, whereas The BOS want to eliminate the more overt mutant races like ghouls and super mutants. Been awhile since I played 3 but I definitely remember (from 2) their definition for what constitutes being a mutant being pretty paranoidly wide.

I've suggested this before but it would be interesting if Bethesda did a double turn (if you're familiar with wrestling terminology) and the Enclave ended up becoming a less antagonistic force eventually while the Brotherhood fell further into becoming despots.

I'd say a wholly sympathetic Enclave to be out of the question but a faction that maybe splintered off from mainstream Enclave views and simply is trying to rebuilt some form of what they think "America" was in conjunction with wastelanders could be used. Especially likely now that Bethesda is going with views of "BoS and Enclave can be anywhere in the post apocalyptic US, at any time"

Bethesda won't make a blatantly evil BoS. Adding nuance and Moral Greyness? Yes, but I imagine Bethesda assumes most people want to be in the Brotherhood and won't make that the evil choice in a game.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
The Enclave want to commit genocide
The Brotherhood would commit genocide
Very thin line between the two

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I forgot how hard it is to line up floors on the second story when you're building settlements.

Ughhhhh

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out: Fallout Shelter 2, a full-fledged base-building/simulation game mixing elements from Evil Genius and Frostpunk where you're free to build the vault as you see fit and conduct your own experiments, also being able to contact or send your dwellers explore the wasteland.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been messing around with tale of two wastelands. At first got ttw working, but the shininess of begin again and all those mods made me decide to switch. Played a few hours begin again but it was too far from vanilla. So then went back to tale of two wastelands (following best of times install guide) and tried installing a bunch of mods from wasteland survival guide but it would crash 9 times out of 10 during loading. Gave up and just using the essential mods for tale of two wastelands but enjoying it a lot. Now getting it working on steam deck.

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out: Fallout Shelter 2, a full-fledged base-building/simulation game mixing elements from Evil Genius and Frostpunk where you're free to build the vault as you see fit and conduct your own experiments, also being able to contact or send your dwellers explore the wasteland.

I'd rather see a city builder. Maybe call it Fallout Settlement.