• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of replacement, is the Wizard that essential to things? I thought the Cannons were the guys behind EVO?

Isn't he just the TO?

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade hazing was a common thing in the 90s/early 2000s.
I'm not surprise at all but at the time for a lot of us, this was considered "normal". Obviously looking back we all can see it was a huge abuse in power dynamics and bullying.

Watson is right though, the 3s/mvc2 era would not survive in today's time. Things were much different.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm not surprise at all but at the time for a lot of us, this was considered "normal". Obviously looking back we all can see it was a huge abuse in power dynamics and bullying.

Watson is right though, the 3s/mvc2 era would not survive in today's time. Things were much different.

Paying underage kids to strip to their underwear is not arcade culture mate

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, I heard stories of this, but you can't always believe what people say and I brushed it off. Totally forgot about it too, but yeah not a good look

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was EXTREMELY fast, excellent job from the EVO team.

Please continue to show us you are a professional business.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I frequented arcades in Southern Cali, Westside and never experienced any of this with the local crews. I don't know what arcades you were at but what's described in this thread isn't normal.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That was EXTREMELY fast, excellent job from the EVO team.

Please continue to show us you are a professional business.
I've seen people on Twitter lament how EVO has gotten commercial and corporate in recent years, and...it's better this way. Being a proper organization with structure instead of an event that lives and dies by the presence of Mr. Wizard is a no-brainer.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

Was it? idk man, I was an arcade rat in SoCal. The people doing anything close to this were the same small cliques of good players and the people wanting in that clique at the bigger arcades.

Nobody did shit to me or even attempted. Or my friends. There was shit talk and blah blah. We played fighting games, ate jack in the box, talked shit and went home. And there wasn't even that much shit talk. Just people mumbling underneath their breath and rolling eyes and sighing, about how everybody is cheap and a scrub, lol.

And I don't think what Wiz allegedly did is "arcade culture".

People are romanticizing and mis-remembering arcades.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Wizard (continue?) to profit from EVO?

I never said it was. I said hazing.

Not hazing

Did you read the full account? What happened in the public toilet was not hazing.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do not trust how fast that response was so late at night. Also I do not want a statement of investigation, I want to see a statement from Mr. Wizard himself.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
I frequented arcades in Southern Cali, Westside and never experienced any of this with the local crews. I don't know what arcades you were at but what's described in this thread isn't normal.
I never said it was normal, I said considered "normal". The quotes are noted to show that it definitely was not normal at all. Even Crackpr0n said at that time he didn't think anything about it. We didn't know better.

I'm not trying to defend Mr. Wiz and what he allegedly did. What he is accused of is awful and he deserves all the shit if true. Theres no denying that. I'm just stating shit like this was more common than people think.

edit
https://twitter.com/PyronIkari/status/1278574450447802369?s=20
this is exactly my point. We didn't know better at the time.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've seen people on Twitter lament how EVO has gotten commercial and corporate in recent years, and...it's better this way. Being a proper organization with structure instead of an event that lives and dies by the presence of Mr. Wizard is a no-brainer.
I'd honestly argue that "going eSports" is for the best precisely because of this, accountability. Not just for EVO, but for the FGC in general.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
For the record, because I'm unsure if you're misunderstanding or not, Watson is not the one making the accusation directly, he's signal boosting Mikey/Crackpr0n's allegations. He seems, however, to have been aware of this for a VERY long time.

Right. Watson was a lot older than "nine" in 1992. Easy enough to discern this if one simply reads the story.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I never said it was normal, I said considered "normal". Even Crackpr0n said at that time he didn't think anything about it. We didn't know better.

I'm not trying to defend Mr. Wiz and what he allegedly did. What he is accused of is awful and he deserves all the shit if true. Theres no denying that. I'm just stating shit like this was more common than people think.
I know you definitely aren't defending it in any way shape or form. But I still never experienced any of this whatsoever. I don't believe it was common.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
At least, James Chen is in the clear. He legit didn't know.

And Mikey confirmed he had never told the story to James so.

No idea if Valle knew though, we know Viscant did.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

For those who have Twitter blocked:

ONCfqgU.png

Oct 27, 2017
Wow
Makes sense why they aint dealing with some of the shitheads in the community now.

Disgusting. What's even more disgusting is that it is apparently known that he does this.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly do not trust how fast that response was so late at night. Also I do not want a statement of investigation, I want to see a statement from Mr. Wizard himself.
Given where this is headed, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Wizard is taking the usual legal track of keeping quiet.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
word spreads fast on twitter, way earlier in the day it was pretty much confirmed that within the next 48 hours something was going to be released.

writing was on the wall, because it was coming from Watson, people knew exactly who he was talking about.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm just stating shit like this was more common than people think.

I ageee with this. I don't think this is stopping with Mr Wiz.

I'd honestly argue that "going eSports" is for the best precisely because of this, accountability. Not just for EVO, but for the FGC in general.

Yeah. Going eSports is one of the best things that could/can happen to the FGC. Players, TOs, commentators can take it seriously as a day job and accountability is way higher across the board

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I ageee with this. I don't think this is stopping with Mr Wiz.

Yeah. Going eSports is one of the best things that could/can happen to the FGC. Players, TOs, commentators can take it seriously as a day job and accountability is way higher across the board
It truly is for the best. They need to leave the wild west behind and go eSports.

Jesus Christ.