• Spiced up somehow

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • A non championship event

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Pole last year was four tenths faster than today. 12 months of the development and the cars are slower here because of the tyres. Odd.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Something happened in the last 4 minutes that made it worse across the board, everybody's last attempt was worse than their previous lap.
On one hand, it's a great challenge. On the other hand I do wonder if it should be a night race or something.

Although funnily enough, despite the soft tyres struggling to do one lap, tomorrow will end up being an easy one stopper (M-H).

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
The problem is 10 seconds is so much time (especially in a sprint) that once you get one your race is ruined regardless. So at that point you lose all incentive to do anything but help your team however possible. Drive through penalties would help that, sure, but then you're talking 20 seconds for what was a 5 second penalty a year ago.

It's been discussed to death but Alonso had to stay left to avoid Hamilton, who had taken way too much speed into the corner. If Alonso had stayed on his line he would have avoided Stroll but Hamilton would have crashed into the back of him. It's obvious when you watch the onboards.

I won't fight you, but I will tell you how wrong you are.
Yep. Respect.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Vowles is usually a pretty straight shooter with his answers, and he desperately tries to 'Vowles' his way of any questions he gets about Logan and Antonelli but he's so bad at it that he might as well confirm it, lol.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'd done Hungary, I thought the food prices at the track were still insane, but I don't do sports other than F1 so they may be in line with what people are used to.
Interesting. I did Hungary in 2022 and although I don't recall food prices I think it was the equivalent of £4 for a 440ml can - which I'm alright with given it's an event. That's like £6/7 here in stadiums and cricket grounds etc.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see Alonso wearing the Balotelli "why always me" shirt the next time he appears on the podium.

immy

Jul 3, 2022
Is Antonelli that good, I have stopped following F1 so closely as max dominance is depressing

Oct 28, 2017
Alonso's crying about the FIA being against the Spanish almost seems like a play to the people at home after he had a pretty bad weekend so far. I know people in Spain eat that shit up.

In reality when Alonso says Spanish people are treated unfairly, he is just talking about himself, lol. Sainz is trying to scamper away and not be a part of that conversation.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Aston has shown us that you can contest anything if you just believe hard enough
Especially if you have MBS a mobile call away! 👍

LOL at the corporate box yachts in a fake Marina.

Americans are all lovely, but only that country could have the lack of self awareness and shame to build something like that, proudly display it, charge a fortune for it AND be videoed wearing a giant grin whilst "consuming" it.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Interesting. I did Hungary in 2022 and although I don't recall food prices I think it was the equivalent of £4 for a 440ml can - which I'm alright with given it's an event. That's like £6/7 here in stadiums and cricket grounds etc.
We've had like 50%+ inflation last year and it doesn't seem to end this year either.
Luckily (for people not living here) our currency also worth nothing so you guys probably won't notice the price inceease that much.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Can I also say that the TV direction was really bad in sprint race. Long pan or distance shots blocked by barriers & random cuts to drivers on track with no idea of their position on track or race order.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Americans are all lovely, but only that country could have the lack of self awareness and shame to build something like that, proudly display it, charge a fortune for it AND be videoed wearing a giant grin whilst "consuming" it.
There is no lack of self awareness going on here - it's just kitschy fun. Miami is pink flamingos, beach vibes, yachts and cocaine.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There is no lack of self awareness going on here - it's just kitschy fun. Miami is pink flamingos, beach vibes, yachts and cocaine.
Probably, I can be a bit grumpy about America.

To me kitschy fun is a 2.99 pair of glittery sunglasses with no lenses. A fake boat in a fake marina that probably costs $10k dollars to hire for a weekend is...something else.

E.g. I don't trust them to have put cheap plastic deckchairs on them as a bit of a goof. I bet the loungers are made by real boat builders so that in theory it looks and feels like a real yacht on the inside.

It also feels like the worst possible mimicry of the Monaco harbour....none of the actual glamour or glitz, but it's also not a knowing sarcastic commentary on how that harbour itself is bad...it's just a bad plasticky knock off that's the worst of all worlds.

Anyway, I'll be quiet 👍 and go back to being mean about Horner, Verstappen and the terrible duo.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Probably, I can be a bit grumpy about America.

To me kitschy fun is a 2.99 pair of glittery sunglasses with no lenses. A fake boat in a fake marina that probably costs $10k dollars to hire for a weekend is...something else.

E.g. I don't trust them to have put cheap plastic deckchairs on them as a bit of a goof. I bet the loungers are made by real boat builders so that in theory it looks and feels like a real yacht on the inside.

It also feels like the worst possible mimicry of the Monaco harbour....none of the actual glamour or glitz, but it's also not a knowing sarcastic commentary on how that harbour itself is bad...it's just a bad plasticky knock off that's the worst of all worlds.

Anyway, I'll be quiet 👍 and go back to being mean about Horner, Verstappen and the terrible duo.
Fully understandable it is hard to accept the "American way"

CoolAssGoat

Oct 27, 2017
Alonso's crying about the FIA being against the Spanish almost seems like a play to the people at home after he had a pretty bad weekend so far. I know people in Spain eat that shit up.

In reality when Alonso says Spanish people are treated unfairly, he is just talking about himself, lol. Sainz is trying to scamper away and not be a part of that conversation.
Spaniard here. No, not all of us eat that shit up, Alonso's claims are preposterous, see the lack of drama regarding Sainz, also a Spaniard. The problem is he almost got sentenced to death for an extremely slight touch in China, and then Hamilton ruins 3 people's races and he leaves scot-free. That inconsistency in refereeing is the real problem.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Spaniard here. No, not all of us eat that shit up, Alonso's claims are preposterous, see the lack of drama regarding Sainz, also a Spaniard. The problem is he almost got sentenced to death for an extremely slight touch in China, and then Hamilton ruins 3 people's races and he leaves scot-free. That inconsistency in refereeing is the real problem.

It's not really an inconsistency. They have always been more lenient on lap 1 turn 1 scraps, recently anyway.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'm curious to see Jolyons analysis of that turn 1 incident.

I don't have much hope for the race being all that exciting but who knows, maybe it will surprise us.

beebop

May 30, 2023
Alonso was fully in contact with his team mate when Hamilton came steaming in.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Alonso was fully in contact with his team mate when Hamilton came steaming in.
I believe the common sentiment is Alonso is so wise and sagey that he knew someone, probably Lewis, was going to come steaming in the open gap on the inside causing him and Stroll to come together first. Just Alonso things.

beebop

May 30, 2023
I believe the common sentiment is Alonso is so wise and sagey that he knew someone, probably Lewis, was going to come steaming in the open gap on the inside causing him and Stroll to come together first. Just Alonso things.
Ironically had it not been for Hamilton also touching, and thus sharing the stewards' view of the blame, Alonso would have been entirely at fault for any of that contact and may have received a penalty.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
We can either choose to believe that Alonso has some sort of 360 peripheral X ray vision that he was able to see Hamilton two car widths over through Hulkenberg and anticipate his movements - or that his teammate that is famously known for having zero spacial awareness simply turned into him

Either one is likely

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not Spanish, but my fiancée works in Spain and I spend a couple of months there every year. One thing I have noticed is that Alonso has a pull there that Sainz can't even attempt to match.

Spanish people really just love Alonso and when he says FIA is out to get him (this is hardly the first time) they are very ready to believe him. There's a lot of people there that still have a hard time with Hamilton after 2007 for example.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not Spanish, but my fiancée works in Spain and I spend a couple of months there every year. One thing I have noticed is that Alonso has a pull there that Sainz can't even attempt to match.

Spanish people really just love Alonso and when he says FIA is out to get him (this is hardly the first time) they are very ready to believe him. There's a lot of people there that still have a hard time with Hamilton after 2007 for example.
In the end, Alonso is a 2xWDC and singlehandedly put Spain on the F1 map, while Sainz is, as of now, merely the son of a WRC champ who's done well for himself so far in F1.

Spaniards like Sainz, but they love Alonso.

Ceiphied

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like you have a problem with spaniards than anything else.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
BBC feed seems to think he isn't there visiting any team specifically. Don't really see anything in that Twitter post saying McLaren invited him to the GP.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There was mention that Trump wanted to do a fundraiser at Miami which got shut down by the track organizers. So would have been there anyway. Though bad look to associate with him from any of the teams.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Let us take a second to remember...

www.espn.com

Brown: 'Let's not turn F1 into a political sport'

McLaren CEO Zak Brown says the FIA is right to try to find a balance around drivers making political gestures at races as he feels protests and statements got "out of control" on several occasions in recent years.

"Politics is tricky by nature. That's what they're probably, at a macro level, trying to avoid is let's not have Formula One become a political hotbed for various topics. But it is damned if you do, damned if you don't, on some of these topics.

"I think that's what we're trying to avoid, let's not turn Formula One into a political sport. Let's just go racing and be respectful of where we're racing.

"There's not a one-size-fits-all in this world for political parties or political agendas, so I think there's a good way that every team, driver, can carry their values in a way that's noncontroversial.

"It's becoming a hot topic in all these sports. In NFL it was taking a knee, that started there. You've got the armbands in Qatar. I think those things can start to deviate away from sport, and that's where we need to find the right balance."

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Let us take a second to remember...

www.espn.com

Brown: 'Let's not turn F1 into a political sport'

McLaren CEO Zak Brown says the FIA is right to try to find a balance around drivers making political gestures at races as he feels protests and statements got "out of control" on several occasions in recent years.

"Politics is tricky by nature. That's what they're probably, at a macro level, trying to avoid is let's not have Formula One become a political hotbed for various topics. But it is damned if you do, damned if you don't, on some of these topics.

"I think that's what we're trying to avoid, let's not turn Formula One into a political sport. Let's just go racing and be respectful of where we're racing.

"There's not a one-size-fits-all in this world for political parties or political agendas, so I think there's a good way that every team, driver, can carry their values in a way that's noncontroversial.

"It's becoming a hot topic in all these sports. In NFL it was taking a knee, that started there. You've got the armbands in Qatar. I think those things can start to deviate away from sport, and that's where we need to find the right balance."
Geez I wonder which protest he had the most problem with 🤔