Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think this a great decision for the sport going forward. Maybe it provides a good result from an entertainment perspective, but you can't give the drivers an excuse to do that every race

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Why didn't Leclerc defend to the inside? Kimi kept the admittedly rubbish Gasly behind for lap after lap doing that but Leclerc left a big gap for Max to drive into.

Simply a mistake. Even if he did intend to defend on the outside why would you choose the more risky option?

It seemed like he underestimated Max's momentum into the corner.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Simply a mistake. Even if he did intend to defend on the outside why would you choose the more risky option?

It seemed like he underestimated Max's momentum into the corner.

Because that's what he'd done successfully two laps previously. He just didn't have the room this time around.

I think the decision is the best thing, but they really really need to stop switching from 'let them race' to 'subsection 3(a) says....' week in week out. That's more damaging to the sport than anything.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Hehe, '100% penalty'. Sure thing folk.

Racing incident was very apparent looling at the situation. Good victory, wel deserved looking at the race.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The decision is right. Verstappen broke the letter of the law. But you should let driver's race.

The problem is Seb got fucked by the letter of the law in Canada. They shouldnt have given Seb a penalty.

As a Ferrari fan it feel a bit like getting fucked both ways, but hopefully the stewards will side with letting them race going forward.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
More importantly, when is Bottas getting the old heave-ho? Honestly, that pass by Verstappen was just embarrassing.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What an awesome race that was. Finally a race with some action, brilliant overtakes and some upsets. Even though I was on the brink of falling asleep in the first half, I was on the edge of my seat the entire second half of the race.

And regarding the incident, I think it's the right call. I don't claim to be an F1 expert, having only watched it for 2 years. But I think that the racing line shouldn't be sacred. If a car tries to overtake, and thus blocking your original racing line, you shouldn't be able to stubbornly commit to your racing line and claim being forced off. You should block, or adapt your approach. Not ram into the other car screaming bloody murder for being forced off. Of course, within safe margins and without obvious harmful intent.

Regardless, it made for an absolutely thrilling ride! Enjoyed it a lot.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The decision is right. Verstappen broke the letter of the law. But you should let driver's race.

The problem is Seb got fucked by the letter of the law in Canada. They shouldnt have given Seb a penalty.

As a Ferrari fan it feel a bit like getting fucked both ways, but hopefully the stewards will side with letting them race going forward.

What happened in Canada is not even close to what happened today. I don't understand why the comparison is even being made.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
If there was a wall instead of a runoff, it would have been more comparable to Canada. Even still, they're a totally different sort of incident.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What a masterclass from Verstappen, what a race man

giphy.gif

Regarding the incident, I'll Quote Senna, if you no longer go for a gap you no longer a racing driver, the gap was there and the Ferrari tried to hold the place after the mistake but was too late, the incident was forced by Ver as much as Lec

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the incident, I'll Quote Senna, if you no longer go for a gap you no longer a racing driver, the gap was there and the Ferrari tried to hold the place after the mistake but was too late, the incident was forced by Ver as much as Lec

I'm a Senna fan and that's a bad quote to use. He only said it because he knew he took Prost out intentionally and didn't want to get disqualified from the season standings.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a Senna fan and that's a bad quote to use. He only said it because he knew he took Prost out intentionally and didn't want to get disqualified from the season standings.

I know the context(prost did the same previously to senna) but even out of that context still holds true to this situation, racing drivers have to do that race and thats what happened today

Oct 25, 2017
Honda president confirms they will continue in F1, looks like the victory caused a last minute switcheroo, Japanese journos were sure they were pulling the plug.

Google translated from Honda.jp

Takahiro Yagoto, President and Representative Director of Honda Motor Co., Ltd.

-Thank you to everyone who supported the victory

Finally I was able to win the championship in F1. When I think about the journey since the return of 2015, I am very impressed and feel the joy from the heart. First of all, I would like to thank Max Velstappen and Aston Martin Red Bull Racing for winning. In addition, I would like to express my gratitude to all the drivers and stakeholders, including the drivers and stakeholders, not to mention the drivers and Scuderia Toro Rosso who have received a great deal of support for Honda's Formula 1 project.

― With your dreams in mind, along with your fans

And I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to all the fans who always send hot support. Your support is an energy that strongly supports us as we move toward our dreams. I will continue to challenge with you and share the joy with you.

-There are things that can only be fulfilled by continuing to run

For Honda, F1 is the founder's dream and one of the important DNA. For the past five years, development and racing sites have faced many challenges. Given the fact that the efforts of the employees who have believed in their powers and continued to run without giving up are fruitful, it is a feeling of universality. We were able to embody one of Honda's "The Power of Dreams".
With today's victory as the first step, we will continue to work together as we aim to become the final goal Series Champion. We look forward to your continued support.

In Asaki, Newey and Max we Trust

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Senna isn't the alpha and omega of F1and as talented as he was he could also be a complete dick on track, I hate it when people use this quote as some sort of racing incident trump card. And that's coming from somebody who thought the correct decision was made today.

I wanted Leclerc to get the win, I'm not the biggest fan of Verstappen and I don't really like the Red Bull team but it was a racing incident and should never even have gone to a stewards decision. Leclerc should have conceded the corner earlier and tried to take a shallower angle and attempt to come back at max while they accelerated out of it.
The gap on the outside was going to close just as we've seen countless times in the past.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Max kept his win, well deserved. People who thought it was a clear penalty obviously have an agenda as you can see ITT.

If there's no runoff, but a wall there than Leclerc let's off... he was in the lead it's his job to keep his position, he surrendered his position and let himself get ran out hoping for a penalty.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf happened with Renault? So far off the fucking pace by the looks of it. Can't even blame the PU with McLaren actually doing better.

Also, Lando, Max and Charles are the future of F1 and I'm okay with that. As long as Max actually matures at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf happened with Renault? So far off the fucking pace by the looks of it. Can't even blame the PU with McLaren actually doing better.

Also, Lando, Max and Charles are the future of F1 and I'm okay with that. As long as Max actually matures at some point.
I like Lando and Charles way more than I like Max, but I wouldn't mind these three for few years, just someone stick Lando in a good car please.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure they had to revert to an old rear wing as the one they had on Friday was shaky. Literally.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I like Lando and Charles way more than I like Max, but I wouldn't mind these three for few years, just someone stick Lando in a good car please.
This is where I'm at. Lando seems to have pretty good racecraft and might even be out-driving that McL given where Sainz is placing it. And Leclerc just for consistently taking it to and beating Seb consistently whilst being considerably less experienced is great to see.

Max still needs to grow the fuck up though, still loves throwing tantys and occasionally pulling stupid shit on the track.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I hope Ver never grows his hot headness make him go ape shit and do what he did today and thats damn entertaining

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Moving away from the front: The Haas situation continues to baffle me.

Are they secretly filling it with rocket fuel for the Quali runs behind the FIA's back or something?

I remember back in the 80s and 90s you used to have cars that were blistering over one lap only to fall back somewhat during the race (and vice versa), but going from McLaren pace to Williams pace is just bonkers.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Because that's what he'd done successfully two laps previously. He just didn't have the room this time around.

I think the decision is the best thing, but they really really need to stop switching from 'let them race' to 'subsection 3(a) says....' week in week out. That's more damaging to the sport than anything.

Defending round the outside is almost always the more risky decision, even if it does happen to work on the previous lap.

Where's the inconsistency? You'll need to find a better example than Vettel's incident if that's what you were looking at.

When it comes to similar incidents in the past I think the stewards have actually classed them as racing incidents.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Albon, Russel, Verstappen and Norris, each in top cars, could lead to the most exciting period in Formula 1 in decades.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Interesting that you don't need to leave a car's width on the exit of corners any more. That should lead to a lot more overtaking in theory, although I suppose that in response the defending car will just always take the inside line now and run the other car off the track on the exit. It should provide for much more exciting racing either way, and probably a lot more collisions.
They don't understand either:

"Clearly, it's not a good weekend. Although we had the pace to be slightly higher up on the grid, the track exposed weaknesses of our car, similar to previous races but in a more exacerbated fashion this weekend. We need to identify if there was anything specific with set-ups or simply a feature of the chassis on which we must work."
-Cyril

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Watched the race again (dozed off a few times watching it this morning) Such a relief to have some battling again. I wish we had this all season long. My only gripe about the penalty decision is that it feels pretty shitty after Canada. Penalties deciding results sucks. Hopefully going forward this starts a new trend of more hands off calls from the FIA. Can you imagine how fucking lame it would have been to have the results changed after all the celebrations etc? Sure I wanted Ferrari to win, and they should have won Canada, but I can move on if less penalties is the norm. So many "legendary" drivers and champions all have had questionable overtakes that seem to become celebrated in time but were seemingly pretty cheap and or reckless at the time. We need more attrition and driving cars to the limits again. So much conservative driving from fuel, tires, battery issues, etc. Here is hoping this race wasn't a fluke and we get some more quality for the remainder of the season. We need races where we have old guard, Vettel and Hamilton battling it out with Max, Leclerc and anyone else can get a decent ride.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
I keep harping on it but its unbelievable how worse this makes Gasly again. Like jesus christ if i am Gasly im just about ready to fuck off from here. My team mate wins the race and im stuck behind a McLaren.

Hope he regains his confidence back and find some face cause this is some otherwordly beating hes getting

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I keep harping on it but its unbelievable how worse this makes Gasly again. Like jesus christ if i am Gasly im just about ready to fuck off from here. My team mate wins the race and im stuck behind a McLaren.

Hope he regains his confidence back and find some face cause this is some otherwordly beating hes getting
Not that it excuses him ending the race behind a McLaren or getting lapped by his team mate, but he did not have the upgraded front wing that Max was running. So there's that at least.

But Red Bull really needs to find a better driver to replace Gasly with. Right now they are pretty much a one driver team.
I know it's not going to happen but I would love for Lando to team up with Max. They are already virtual team mates and they seem to work great together. I'm also quickly becoming a fan of Norris.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Stats n facts time.
  • GIO: Made Q3 for the 2nd consecutive GP, and lined up in a career best 7th.
  • LEC: By taking his 2nd pole of his career he denied Max his 1st ever pole.
  • VER: Took his 6th win of his career, extends his record of most wins without taking pole.
  • Honda: First win for a Honda powered car since the 2006 Hungarian GP.
  • RedBull: Took their 60th win as a team.
  • GIO: Scored his first point in F1, first Italian to do so since 2010.
  • HAM: Ended his run of 10 consecutive podium finishes, last time he missed the podium he won the 2018 WDC in Mexico.
  • Williams: Are pointless (I could leave it at that). All other teams drivers have scored at least 1 point.
  • GAS: I don't even...

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Mercedes also ended their win streak, staying on 10 consecutive wins again, one short of the shared record between McLaren and Ferrari.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

He would have finished behind both McLarens if Sainz hadn't broken his front wing trying to pass him.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a good analysis on what's going on with Gasly. He clearly is disappointing hard but he wasn't this bad last year or in lower categories. It seems clear that he needs to go unless all issues are unrelated to the driver (unlikely), but it'd be cool to get some insights as to why exactly he's taking such a beating. Getting lapped by your teammate who was right there with you on lap 1 is no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.