• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The 2023 OT title will be...

• FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| We Race As One*

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Saudiss is how democracy dies

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Ground Effect Your Expectations

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Bono my tyres are bombs

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Catering to Every Budget

Votes: 42 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
the-race.com

Norris: Alpine has done 'pretty bad job' with better F1 car - The Race

McLaren's Lando Norris reckons rival team Alpine has done a “pretty bad job” to “only just be ahead of us” in the F1 constructors' standings.

Heh. I mean, he's obviously correct, but it's rare to see someone in sports bluntly stating the opposition has underperformed.
"The opposition have done badly and are still ahead of us" is not exactly a compliment or booster to his own team though.

Just looked at the stats and tbh I'm not even sure that's right. It looks more like Ricciardo's underperforming throughout the season is the main reason McLaren aren't ahead rather than the Alpine having a demonstrably quicker car throughout the year as Norris has been ahead of them both for the past few races. Didn't realise how badly Ricciardo had done but just 4 points finishes (6th, 8th, 9th, 9th) in 15 races is just crazy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
"The opposition have done badly and are still ahead of us" is not exactly a compliment or booster to his own team though.

Just looked at the stats and tbh I'm not even sure that's right. It looks more like Ricciardo's underperforming throughout the season is the main reason McLaren aren't ahead rather than the Alpine having a demonstrably quicker car throughout the year as Norris has been ahead of them both for the past few races. Didn't realise how badly Ricciardo had done but just 4 points finishes (6th, 8th, 9th, 9th) in 15 races is just crazy.

yep Norris is on 82 points? so you'd expect Ricciardo to be on at least maybe 70 - looking at the closeness of the two alpines that seems fairly conservative. That'd give the team 50 more points than they currently have and take them from 25pts behind alpine to 25pts ahead of them. (not counting the likely reduction in points from alpine that a higher finishing Ricciardo would do)

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
right? Assuming you want a better drive the best advert is to outdrive the car your're in and your teammate. Doesn't matter if thats in a shitbox really.
I guess the flipside is you end up in a Danny Ric situation where you're single handedly tanking the teams performance and getting outclassed by your teammate. Still if Williams offered him a seat I think it would be foolish of him to turn it down, even if it is a downward trajectory.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The issue there is, as I've mentioned in a previous post, that as a race winner and someone who's been highly regarded he'd be expected to beat whoever he's up against therefore the reaction on the grid would just be "Meh, he's just doing what we thought he'd do". If he gets beaten though he'll be out of the series by the end of the year.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The issue there is, as I've mentioned in a previous post, that as a race winner and someone who's been highly regarded he'd be expected to beat whoever he's up against therefore the reaction on the grid would just be "Meh, he's just doing what we thought he'd do". If he gets beaten though he'll be out of the series by the end of the year.

Right but if he has belief in himself he'd want to show that because he'd want to show bigger teams he's worth a shot. As a test driver you get none of that. Test driver feels like pension money - you're not getting out of there in a hurry you just want to travel with the caravan around the world (which he wouldn't necessarily do anyway). Its a slope I can't see him coming back from if he does that

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
New poll idea

2u2gfdhoupm91.jpg

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Right but if he has belief in himself he'd want to show that because he'd want to show bigger teams he's worth a shot. As a test driver you get none of that. Test driver feels like pension money - you're not getting out of there in a hurry you just want to travel with the caravan around the world (which he wouldn't necessarily do anyway). Its a slope I can't see him coming back from if he does that
That's the point I'm reaching for. Doesn't matter how well he does - unless he puts it well into places it shouldn't be - he'd be expected to beat his teammate so I don't believe that would make big teams take notice. I respect his confidence but I don't see any moves he has that won't be a constant slope downwards no matter how well he does.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though as he's still one of the few drivers with any kind of personality on the grid.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
will sky uk be doing their f1/international broadcast? because i watch the international broadcast on f1tv with a dutch vpn (fuck german sky f1 exclusivity) because i prefer their commentary over german
I imagine so because its a world feed and not just for the UK. I would hope that they have all returned to normal broadcasting today as yesterday BT wouldnt even do a half time analysis on the football for people that were just about recovered enough from the terrible news to watch the football.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1568147863393157121

View: https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1568149009646092288

Not that surprising considering Porsche wanted a 50% stake in the team. It would've been more shocking if Red Bull was willing to give it up.

Can't blame Red Bull for not agreeing to that one. After putting in all the years of work into building the team I wouldn't be keen on someone coming in wanting to have half the say.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not quite sure what they were expecting. Just to walk right in and buy their way into a 50-50 partnership with a championship winning team? You can do that with a team that's struggling financially and/or struggling on the grid. RB has absolutely no reason to jump in such a partnership unless they want to get paid and dip out.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I just hope for the F1TV broadcast this weekend they get Collins and Palmer instead of Buxton who is good at interviews but not so great for race commentary.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
The initial rumors iirc were that Porsche were just going to do the MGU-K, sounds like they got greedy at some point.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I do also wonder if RB got clearer indications from Honda that they want back in when the new engines come around.

Porsche's only other option is Williams, surely?

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
motorsportbroadcasting.com

Sky, F1 to scale back Italian Grand Prix coverage following death of The Queen

Coverage of this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix will be scaled back in the UK following the death of HM Queen Elizabeth II. The Queen passed away on Thursday 8th September at the age of 96. Sky…

Thing is, what the hell are sky going to show instead other than old stock programs? So what's better there?

Not that I'll complain about Sky's flabby build up shows being reduced to sensible levels.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Here's the official PDF on new PU elements for this weekend: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2022 Italian Grand Prix - New PU elements for this Event.pdf
Hamilton: new ICE (+10), new turbocharger (+10), new MGU-H (+10), new MGU-K (+10). Exceeds the more than 15 grid places so he gets a back of the grid penalty.
Verstappen: new ICE (+5)
Perez: new ICE (+10)
Tsunoda: new ICE (+5), new turbocharger (+5), new MGU-H (+5), new MGU-K (+5). Also exceeds the more than 15 grid places so he gets a back of the grid penalty.
Bottas: new ICE (+5), new turbocharger (+5), new MGU-H (+5) so he gets +15
Sainz: new MGU-K (+5), new energy store (+5) so he gets +10

The reason Hamilton and Perez get 10 place grid drops instead of 5 like everyone else is because the first time you go over the limit it's +10, every other additional element is only +5.

Also some RNCs penalties: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2022 Italian Grand Prix - New RNCs for this Event.pdf

Sainz: GBX C&C (+5), GBX DL (+5). Don't know if those stack with his PU elements penalty for a back of the grid or if it's just +20.

Verstappen only has 5 places right?
Some saying 5, some saying 10, guess we'll just have to wait for the official documents to be released.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Confirmed penalties by the FIA just now:
  • Car 1 (Verstappen): drop of 5 grid positions
  • Car 11 (Perez): drop of 10 grid positions
  • Car 22 (Tsunoda): back of the grid
  • Car 44 (Hamilton): back of the grid
  • Car 55 (Sainz): drop of 15 grid positions + drop of 10 grid positions
  • Car 77 (Bottas): drop of 15 grid positions

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
well there goes any chance of Leclerc/Ferrari winning the race with Verstappen probably starting 6th, 7th at worst

Although i guess they'll fuck it up all by themselves again regardless of where Verstappen is anyway

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So Carlos is +25? Why don't they just say "back of the grid"?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So Carlos is +25? Why don't they just say "back of the grid"?
I'm a bit unclear on if it's a back of the grid penalty or not. The sporting regulations surrounding that are part of the Power Unit Usage rules, but the +10 penalty isn't related to power unit changes.
Edit: just had someone on Reddit point out to me that Bottas was in a similar situation in Belgium with a 15 grid drop penalty for PU changes and another 5 grid drop penalty RNCs changes, and he started in front of the cars with a back of the grid penalty. So Sainz should start in front of Hamilton and Tsunoda.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit unclear on if it's a back of the grid penalty or not. The sporting regulations surrounding that are part of the Power Unit Usage rules, but the +10 penalty isn't related to power unit changes.
Edit: just had someone on Reddit point out to me that Bottas was in a similar situation in Belgium with a 15 grid drop penalty for PU changes and another 5 grid drop penalty RNCs changes, and he started in front of the cars with a back of the grid penalty. So Sainz should start in front of Hamilton and Tsunoda.
Ah, got it.

Well, no I don't, but it's enough to go on. They'll be talking about it during quali, I'll hear what they say then.. lol.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Max could start from the pit lane at this point and still easily win in Monza. The car is such a beast it's nuts how Max can go out in P1 and crank out a lap time 1 second ahead of everyone else on his first go. Also at this point everyone in the midfield knows how quick he is and no one really puts up a fight when he overtakes them because why waste your tires. This is absolutely Max's year.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Verstappen only has 5 places right?

I have FP2 live in the background (ahh, work from home) and they recently said 5 spots for Max, but the other reports may be making reasonable assumptions.

Max looks fast as hell no doubt. The Mercs looked like dogshit in FP1 but better now. I really, really, really want Charles to win this weekend. For so many reasons. Ferrari double podium would be sublime but Sainz is unlikely to fight through the whole field.

Also at this point everyone in the midfield knows how quick he is and no one really puts up a fight when he overtakes them because why waste your tires. This is absolutely Max's year.

Except Lando, who had a bit of Lando reflexive stubborness in FP1 when he defended against Max on a hot lap lol. Lando does tend to be more realistic in the race... unless it's Lewis.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea they just said Max only has a 5 place grid penalty atm.

The Red Bull is so fast on the straights they dont even need the smaller wing.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1568147863393157121

View: https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1568149009646092288

Not that surprising considering Porsche wanted a 50% stake in the team. It would've been more shocking if Red Bull was willing to give it up.

Andretti Autosport on Line 2 at Stuttgart HQ. Time to expand beyond their Formula E partnership.

Andretti-Porsche is the exact kind of value Michael needs to get to be that 11th team, I think.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I have FP2 live in the background (ahh, work from home) and they recently said 5 spots for Max, but the other reports may be making reasonable assumptions.

Max looks fast as hell no doubt. The Mercs looked like dogshit in FP1 but better now. I really, really, really want Charles to win this weekend. For so many reasons. Ferrari double podium would be sublime but Sainz is unlikely to fight
Actually back in Hungary Lando was fighting Lewis for several laps until he finally relented and then he just let Max through probably because his tires were gone after holding up Hamilton all that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.