Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's not crap. It's associating the brand and technology with it's roadcars. It represents the very reason they are in F1. For example:

Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door Coupé E Performance

The Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S E PERFORMANCE is the most powerful production vehicle we have ever made. Highly efficient hybrid technology meets our unmistakeably sporty DNA.
YMMV, but its crap to my ear. Hardly rolls off the tongue and everyone just says Merc or W14 anyway. Even fucking Croft doesn't give them the satisfaction of using the full car name.

View: https://twitter.com/jenniegow/status/1613863619422289922?s=46&t=etKEAR19GuraUO82x5ubjg

Wow, this is pretty shocking and super sad/scary. I always enjoyed her coverage on the BBC F1 podcast, I hope she makes a full recovery.

Ahh such a shame. Hopefully she's back at it soon.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
www.formula1.com

From cutting curfews to grid penalties – 10 rule changes you need to know about for the 2023 F1 season | Formula 1®

While F1’s rules are remaining largely the same in 2023 following last year’s major reset, there are still technical and sporting changes of note for the campaign ahead, as we explain in our pre-season rundown…

I dont really understand the point of 7. Qualifying format and DRS trials

Specifically

A 'Revised Qualifying Format' (RQF) will take place at up to two events in 2023 "for the purpose of evaluating whether the revisions are suitable for subsequent championships" – as per the updated regulations.

This will see tyre compounds mandated for each stage of F1's usual three-part qualifying session: hard tyres only in Q1; mediums tyres only in Q2; and, finally, soft tyres only in Q3. Intermediates and wets will be allowed if the RQF sessions are declared wet.

why must this be mandated? I view this as part of strategy and testing

i know it's just for evaluation for now but I dont really get the positives?

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The last few laps are fantastic ...and confusing!

View: https://youtu.be/KPJrf2BlN0s

There are two more races this weekend (live on YouTube).

Looked like Mini fucking Scumacher at the end there trying to put the guy in the wall.
James Vowles is the new TP at Williams.
www.williamsf1.com

Williams Racing appoints James Vowles as new Team Principal

James Vowles will join next month ahead of season opener in Bahrain
I hope Merc get a Hannah alike to do it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
www.formula1.com

From cutting curfews to grid penalties – 10 rule changes you need to know about for the 2023 F1 season | Formula 1®

While F1’s rules are remaining largely the same in 2023 following last year’s major reset, there are still technical and sporting changes of note for the campaign ahead, as we explain in our pre-season rundown…

I dont really understand the point of 7. Qualifying format and DRS trials

Specifically

why must this be mandated? I view this as part of strategy and testing

i know it's just for evaluation for now but I dont really get the positives?

The aim is to cut down how many tyres are being brought to each race weekend. Bringing it down from 13 sets to 11 for each car.

Also has a side effect for the "show", since it basically guarantees Q3 will have the fastest times.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I will never see his name and not think "Lewis, it's James… I have thrown the win away"

Granted it was the only time I heard anything about him

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Vowels has left the building

YzHAlLt.jpg

www.reddit.com

r/formuladank - Leaked W14 images after James Vowels departure from Mercedes

828 votes and 21 comments so far on Reddit

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

'You have to be twice as good' - being black in motorsport

In a two-part series on BBC iPlayer, We Are England: Born to Race, we follow two young black drivers, Ruben Stanislaus and Lewis Appiagyei on their journey to reach Formula 1.

2 part series on the BBC called Born to Race following 2 young black drivers trying to make their way in the sport. Also includes Hamilton in part 2.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I dunno, they're already of F1 age and I'm not sure that many white kids with their records get fawning BBC series and private audiences with the most successful driver of all time. Finishing in the back half of Praga Cup races, a series a simracer won in his 2nd season in physical motorsport doesn't exactly sell me they're this generation's missed talents. Lewis for instance is so dedicated he last updated his website in 2014 and Ruben doesn't even seem to have a social media presence. You're not going to attract sponsors who can't find you.

I imagine it is harder but these are not good examples.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Maximum Verstappen in the Virtual LeMans, his car leading. Mercedes do have 2 official cars in the race, one run by Williams.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jbPatqB

I do enjoy how the Williams eSports team have so much more sponsorship than the physical team.

youtu.be

LIVE: 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual 2023

The final round of the series - Welcome to Le MansOn the 14-15 January - 45 cars will do battle around the Circuit de la Sarthe for the 24 Hours of Le Mans V...

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Yeah, his quitting is a hissy fit but rFactor 2 simply isn't suited to running this. But the ponzi scheme that is Motorsport Games is getting the money from somewhere to buy everything.

I've seen multiple iRacing and Asetto Corsa 24hrs without the slightest issue but I'd say half the field had at least one disconnection issue here and they lost near 4 hours of the race to "Can't keep a server up".

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Great endorsement for the game from Max lol. I tried checking out the race a few times yesterday and it seemed like it was having issues. Wonder if they go with a different Sim next year. Besides RFactor and Iracing what else is there?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I saw few hours of it via Jimmy Broadbent stream popup window, it was kind of a shitshow.

rFactor2 is not suited for this even after so many years on the market. It's a good thing that Max blasted them, the game needs to get better.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Great endorsement for the game from Max lol. I tried checking out the race a few times yesterday and it seemed like it was having issues. Wonder if they go with a different Sim next year. Besides RFactor and Iracing what else is there?

Asetto corsa can do it but does not (officially) have the right cars.

The problem though is Motorsport Games paid insane amounts to wall it off. Just as they've done with the Indy 500 this year which used to be iRacing. If you get connection issues in that at 250mph it's going to turn shitshow fast.

It won't get better, other than farting out some incredibly low effort DLC they don't work on games, Kartkraft is still 25% finished after 3 years on sale and at least a year after "full release".

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Who knows but tbh I'd be surprised if the company is around long enough to fulfil it. Their BTCC game appears to have already become "Put half the grid into rFactor 2 over the space of a year".

EDIT : Kalor knows.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
MSG also have the Indycar license. And already took a PR battering from forcing iRacing to not schedule a 500 mile race with their Indycars around Indianapolis in May..

MSG have lucrative licenses, but a dogshit game. Much like Codemasters and F1.....

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
There's nothing "wrong" with rFactor 2 as such. It's just it's a decade old and wasn't designed to do any of this. They should have invested in an rFactor 3 at least half a decade ago. There's a reason AMS2 went with MADNESS and not this despite the first one being rFactor based.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
Oct 27, 2017

How many times do 'could' 'would' and 'time will tell' fit in a 58 second video? Lots, as it turns out. It's not just improbable - I'd guess impossible.

That said, the video title says 2023, but the video itself says 2024. The latter is likely if Ricciardo follows through with his plan to sabotage Perez. Any time Perez has a puncture or technical gremlin? You know where to look.

😬

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
He would need to actually show he is better than Perez on track and last season has made it very difficult for anyone to place a blind bet on Ricciardo anymore. There was some great talent there early on but who knows what happened. I mean generally speaking it's the car, but if he really can't adapt in the slightest then what if he can't adapt to the new Red Bull either?

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not buying it. Sergio is driving well enough for them to be dumb to consider replacing him with someone as questionable as Daniel. If Sergio needs to worry about anyone it's probably Nyck de Vries.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It won't get better, other than farting out some incredibly low effort DLC they don't work on games, Kartkraft is still 25% finished after 3 years on sale and at least a year after "full release".
That's a shame, I got into Kartkraft before it was bought by Motorsport Games mostly because it's from a local dev and there's even a track from my local town (Geelong) in there. Haven't played it for eons but sucks that it's fallen by the wayside.

Ricciardo would not be more "obedient" lol

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
He would need to actually show he is better than Perez on track and last season has made it very difficult for anyone to place a blind bet on Ricciardo anymore. There was some great talent there early on but who knows what happened. I mean generally speaking it's the car, but if he really can't adapt in the slightest then what if he can't adapt to the new Red Bull either?

And bear in mind they're not planning to put Danny Ric on track in a Red Bull outside of a half decade old car on a demo day.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
That's a shame, I got into Kartkraft before it was bought by Motorsport Games mostly because it's from a local dev and there's even a track from my local town (Geelong) in there. Haven't played it for eons but sucks that it's fallen by the wayside.

Yeah it's basically not moved since you played it, they even managed to break almost all the functionality a couple of updates ago and not update it for over a week. I'm in the same position as you, I've driven one of the karts in this game at Whilton Mill which is in this game. Even as half arsed as it is, that in VR was pretty much deja vu.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
lv739umcv9ca1.png

0tnishfcv9ca1.png

As usual, the "experts" pushed the narrative that Leclerc is good only in qualifying, without knowing anything about actual F1. I wonder how he did outperform Sainz like no one else did before (with the same car) then...

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
While this is could absolutely be a reddit shitpost, Williams and Haas are the only real candidates and the choice there is easy.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Porsche are just about to embark on a massive year of top class sportscar racing in both WEC and IMSA. They'll get more exposure for competing for wins with the 963 in those series for a lot less expense than they would partnering up with Williams right about now.

Unless, that is, if they enter F1 with a rebadged Audi engine in 2026 which is a lot less expensive.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It would be a real whiplash moment to see the W14 roll out looking almost exactly like the W13 but suddenly performing way better.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
It would be a real whiplash moment to see the W14 roll out looking almost exactly like the W13 but suddenly performing way better.
I suspect most of the cars will look similar to how they did last year. The real magic is the suspension and floors / venturi tunnels.

As long as Ferrari, RB and Mercedes are all closely competitive, I'm happy. Hopefully the upper end of the midfield is close as well.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Floor, suspension, weight distribution - hopefully they know what they're doing. Real curious to see if the W14 will be competitive out of the gate will the gap between George and Lewis widen or get even smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.